The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Re: The liar's bench

Post by thecroweater »

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

Kid says her brakes are funny I drive it they go to the floor. I say did you check your brake fluid she says what's that its empty so I fill it pump them up still nothing I crawl under the car to find a rusted brake line leaking. Yet another thing to fix for the kid I thought we got her a solid car
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

We dont buy or trade vehicles very often. Bought the wife a new one in 2003 and we still use it, even though we bought her another new vehicle in 2018. Son is driving the 2003 now, because he hit a deer on way home from work in his SUV. I dont buy new trucks for myself. Parts are cheaper than payments. JMO.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Anyone remember the George Dickel Water Conservation Society? It was very shortly after I became old enough to legally buy when that promotion came out. And by then George and I had spent a few nights together. I sent in my application. I still have the poster, "Waters for washin, Dickels for drinkin" and the little plastic fishing tackle box they sent.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

I remember the marketing line but never sent in for a membership or anything. I've had Dickel years ago, but I cant remember what it tasted like. Too long ago.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

rocky mountain version of mint julep; 2 bottles of george dickel cup of sugar +- cup or 2

of mint crushed muddled or otherwise smushed. wide mouth gallon jar full of ice. towel.

put every thing in the jar but the towel. wrap the jar with the towel and place in freezer.

you will have about four fingers left of the fickle finger of dickel to contemplate on for the

the next hour. when the raw dickel is gone and an hour is up retrieve the gallon from the

freezer and enjoy right from the jug. now the last time I did this was about 50 years ago and

ended up wrestling a bear (for real), but the stuff in the jug was better than raw dickel :thumbup:
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SassyFrass wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:25 pm I've had Dickel years ago, but I cant remember what it tasted like. Too long ago.
Time to buy a bottle and get re-acquainted.......lovely stuff.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Having read the vast majority of the 200+ pages here it seems there might have been a few fighters among the bench sitters during their youth. No harm in a few good fights, in fact I see the present zero tolerance as a detriment to raising boys to men. Outside of sanctioned fights in the boxing ring or the dojo I have had three fights. I can honestly say two I won hands down. The third is is this story.

Like most fights, it started with alcohol. It was during college in the dorm in which we both lived. The trouble was the odds. I would swing at him and his two friends would grab my arms and he would beat on me for a bit. Finally I would relax, the friends would let go, I would get in a punch or two before they had me pinned and once again I was getting beaten. Fortunately it was mostly body blows and I was big time into bodybuilding in those days, doing over 250 sit-ups 4 days per week. Not causing a lot of damage. Well this little routine goes on for a good 8 or 9 minutes until my antagonist had pretty much exhausted himself and was really too tired to hit much. I had rather lost interest myself when released the last time, suggested we finish tomorrow and went to my room to sleep it off. A bit later the police woke me up to ask if I had been fighting. I told them no, it take two to fight. I had just been getting hit and wanted to sleep now. They of course felt it was their duty to read me the riot act about getting a record, kicked out of school, etc for long after the time I thought they should have left me alone.

Now the moral of this story is that it was another case where the Lord looks after children, idiots and drunks. I was no longer a child but was hard in the running for the other two. In this case the Lord kept me drunk enough to not be thinking clearly enough to have used some of my training to take frick and frack who were holding me out of the picture to allow for a proper fight. And that was a good thing because the start of the entire incident was who was going to search for a wet spot on a fat girl that night. Seeing said young woman the next day, with more sober eyes, I was rather happy that I had failed to pursue my intentions the previous night. Of course I still would have liked to see what was behind that bra. But that particular interest continues to this day for most females between the ages of 18 and 80. Once again the Lord saved me from myself.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

cob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:38 pm rocky mountain version of mint julep; 2 bottles of george dickel cup of sugar +- cup or 2

of mint crushed muddled or otherwise smushed. wide mouth gallon jar full of ice. towel.

put every thing in the jar but the towel. wrap the jar with the towel and place in freezer.

you will have about four fingers left of the fickle finger of dickel to contemplate on for the

the next hour. when the raw dickel is gone and an hour is up retrieve the gallon from the

freezer and enjoy right from the jug. now the last time I did this was about 50 years ago and

ended up wrestling a bear (for real), but the stuff in the jug was better than raw dickel :thumbup:
That sounds pretty good. And there is a bear story in there that the bench needs to hear.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Kids girlfriend just showed up in a panic and asked the wife to move in...because tomorrow there will be a 100% lockdown and you can’t leave your house for two weeks.
Wife didn’t even get past “she wants to move in” and I said no. Because of a “lockdown”?? FUCK NO!!!

I’m so sick of this crap, people driving their own cars, by themselves, with two masks and a face shield on! :x

Quick, everyone hide in their basement with a blanket over their head!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid!!!!

Stanford university did a study on masks that was just put up on the cdc website that states regular masks won’t stop the virus and are actually bad for your respiratory health. They also posted on the site that you don’t have to sanitize everything, warm soap and water is good enough.
How many people know about that?? Why isn’t the media saying anything??
BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!!!

Rant over, just sick of this bullshit.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

The wife was planning on making beef and broccoli for dinner she blew up at me because SHE was out of soy sauce and cornstarch like the fuck...am I the keeper of the cabinets or some shit anyway guess its pb&j or noodles for dinner 🤣🤣🤣
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Look after if she is a good cook!

Geoff
The Baker
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

subbrew wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm No harm in a few good fights, in fact I see the present zero tolerance as a detriment to raising boys to men.
I've been sitting on this for a couple of days, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Any time a disagreement comes down to fists and feet it means that one or both parties have exhausted their ability to think through a problem. That's just downright depressing! This is not something that needs encouraging. For me, a "few good fights" is a good way of raising men from boys. Let's move past this old idea of "what makes a man" and see if we can't come up with a better definition of masculinity.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

NormandieStill wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm

I've been sitting on this for a couple of days, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Any time a disagreement comes down to fists and feet it means that one or both parties have exhausted their ability to think through a problem. That's just downright depressing! This is not something that needs encouraging. For me, a "few good fights" is a good way of raising men from boys. Let's move past this old idea of "what makes a man" and see if we can't come up with a better definition of masculinity.
There are two type of fights. There are the fights over differences such as who owns what, who controls territory, etc that leads to fights on a small scale and wars on a large scale. Then there are fights/contests to establish a pecking order. Like it or not human are pack animals and when in a group will establish a pecking order. It is human nature. We do that many ways. Early on it is via sports, video games, the smartest among nerds, and yes, the occasional fight. Later on it is more through the accumulation of wealth and power. But that fact is groups of people and especially men will establish that order and I don't see why sports are a legitimate method but a school yard fight is not. So the fights I was mostly referring to really have very little to do with a "problem" so there is not much that could be talked through.

You are wanting to change human nature and a large part, probably a majority of the population agrees with you. As a conservative person I want to explore the consequences of changing patterns and norms that have been established over thousands of years, before thinking I am so much smarter than those that came before me, that my ideas should be followed. What will be lost and who gets to determine this new definition of masculinity? And who benefit and who loses when that new definition is enforced?

I think we are seeing some of the consequences now. from the mug shot and the bios I have read the most violent of the antifa punks have been raised in the zero tolerance world. They think they are warriors because they are good at playing mortal combat. They act as if their violent actions should be consequence free and get more violent when they are not. Had they been punched in the nose a few times during their teen years they might have a little more respect for others views and property.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Folks are gonna disagree about anything and everything. Some for good reasons, some for odd reasons, and some just cause... Most folk will disagree about something, maybe discuss/debate their sides, and move on with their lives. No harm no foul. We ain't all gotta agree to be agreeable. We ain't gotta get so twisted about something that a schoolyard fight, skirmish, battle, war, happens.
Now having said that, if a person or persons come after me and mine intending to do evil...well, all I can say is sinkholes need filled. And they ought to come prepared. So, IMO, there are some things its absolutely necessary to utilize violence and force to protect.
Besides, some of the best friends I ever made started out with one or both of us getting a black eye.
But, then again, there's some folks alive today only because it's illegal to kill them.
I've rambled enuff. I'll hush now and set this jar for yall to sample.
SF

River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

subbrew wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am As a conservative person I want to explore the consequences of changing patterns and norms that have been established over thousands of years, before thinking I am so much smarter than those that came before me, that my ideas should be followed.
Subbrew, well put, hope you don't mind if I steal that quote and use it in conversations with people in the future :thumbup:. Some folks that have married into the family come to mind...
Plain ole pot rig.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

subbrew wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am You are wanting to change human nature and a large part, probably a majority of the population agrees with you. As a conservative person I want to explore the consequences of changing patterns and norms that have been established over thousands of years, before thinking I am so much smarter than those that came before me, that my ideas should be followed.
I like your rational, but I don't think you have your facts quite straight. Most of the patterns and norms we currently follow in the western world are surprisingly recent (A mildly related example is the "blue for boys, pink for girls" meme which as recently as the 1930s in the USA was actually the other way around). Most social hierarchies in the western world are based on birth. Ignoring for a minute the european royal families which are the epitome of birthright, most politicians come from political families or families of a certain "class". The ones that go furthest are the ones that have connections, which are often founded in school, and their schools are a consequence of their families existing power. I have chickens and understand perfectly what the establishment of a pecking order is, but that's not what humanity is up to.

Kids (generally, in my experience) don't just pick a fight. Bullies do, but that's not what you were talking about if I understood you correctly. Fights start because of a disagreement, generally over a trivial thing which acts as a nucleus for a bunch of internalised "slights".

We have been socially conditioned over many generations (but not so many as that) to be competitive because it was believed that competition brings out the best in people. I strongly believe that we are rapidly approaching a point at which large-scale employment will no-longer exist and that important incentive to be competitive (so as to get the best job) will disappear. At that point, having a large mass of people who are highly competitive and understand that violence is a viable solution is going to be somewhat problematic!

But my biggest issue with what you said was actually in the phrase "men from boys". It assumes that that competitive edge that has to be resolved with violence is inherently masculine. And it actually promotes the violence as being important in being a man. I've been in my fair share of fights and I can honestly say that none of them, neither those I won, or (more frequently) those I lost ever satisfactorily resolved anything.

Also, frankly, I may not be smarter than those who came before me, but through the simple existence of the internet, I am far better informed. And today, through neurology and psychology we are far more aware of the underlying mechanisms of thought. "Because we've always done it that way" always strikes me as the worst form of reasoning.

And with that I'm going to go and check on my first batch of HBB. It's beyond time that I stuck a jar under this bench! :D
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

NormandieStill wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:52 am
subbrew wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am You are wanting to change human nature and a large part, probably a majority of the population agrees with you. As a conservative person I want to explore the consequences of changing patterns and norms that have been established over thousands of years, before thinking I am so much smarter than those that came before me, that my ideas should be followed.
I like your rational, but I don't think you have your facts quite straight. Most of the patterns and norms we currently follow in the western world are surprisingly recent (A mildly related example is the "blue for boys, pink for girls" meme which as recently as the 1930s in the USA was actually the other way around). Most social hierarchies in the western world are based on birth. Ignoring for a minute the european royal families which are the epitome of birthright, most politicians come from political families or families of a certain "class". The ones that go furthest are the ones that have connections, which are often founded in school, and their schools are a consequence of their families existing power. I have chickens and understand perfectly what the establishment of a pecking order is, but that's not what humanity is up to.

Kids (generally, in my experience) don't just pick a fight. Bullies do, but that's not what you were talking about if I understood you correctly. Fights start because of a disagreement, generally over a trivial thing which acts as a nucleus for a bunch of internalised "slights".

We have been socially conditioned over many generations (but not so many as that) to be competitive because it was believed that competition brings out the best in people. I strongly believe that we are rapidly approaching a point at which large-scale employment will no-longer exist and that important incentive to be competitive (so as to get the best job) will disappear. At that point, having a large mass of people who are highly competitive and understand that violence is a viable solution is going to be somewhat problematic!

But my biggest issue with what you said was actually in the phrase "men from boys". It assumes that that competitive edge that has to be resolved with violence is inherently masculine. And it actually promotes the violence as being important in being a man. I've been in my fair share of fights and I can honestly say that none of them, neither those I won, or (more frequently) those I lost ever satisfactorily resolved anything.

Also, frankly, I may not be smarter than those who came before me, but through the simple existence of the internet, I am far better informed. And today, through neurology and psychology we are far more aware of the underlying mechanisms of thought. "Because we've always done it that way" always strikes me as the worst form of reasoning.

And with that I'm going to go and check on my first batch of HBB. It's beyond time that I stuck a jar under this bench! :D
Well thought out and presented, gives me food for though.

You bring up something I have thought about for years. How do we form a society where a big part of the population is not employed or even unemployable? I think that is the true crisis out world needs to start addressing. I think the competitive drive is more inborn than incentivized so if it is not for jobs, what direction does it go?

Still no spirit to share unless you want some week old UJSSM. So I will this bottle of Brochet
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

this is veering towards politics let's check it up here and move on to some tall tales and entertaining anecdotes.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I don’t want this to go sideways so I’ll just throw this out there.
Males have a pecking order as do females.males are more physical and females are more catty. (Mostly because it wasn’t proper for women to fight. In the last few decades this has changed and more women are getting physical. I believe this has more to do with the ability to get away with it more than establishing any pecking order)

Like the saying goes, if you raise your kids right, you can spoil your grandkids. If you spoil your kids you will have to raise your grandkids.

The comment on the antifa types is 100% correct. Skinny, weak, cowardly boys who hit from behind etc. The females appear as ones who are either “tough” because they’re in a crowd and feel protected or just immature and along for the ride.
Guaranteed, every one of them never got a punch in the mouth for saying/doing something stupid like most us had. They don’t comprehend that hitting someone with a bike lock on the end of a chain is bad or too much.

Just the same that a gun makes a 90# female equal to a 200# aggressor, the skinny little kid that feels owed is now a tough guy when he has a gun in his hand. (Look at the make up of any school shooter)

The most common thing being pushed is everyone is equal or the same, trying to get rid of meritocracy. If you are the best, the you deserve the accolades. If you are not, you don’t.
If you work hard and make good decisions, you advance in life, if you do not, you don’t.
And to be VERY clear, this has zero to do with race, gender, etc.

These pieces of garbage being brought up in a “everyone gets a trophy” world, have been taught that if someone has something and you don’t, it’s not fair. Regardless of any other circumstances, if you have, you don’t deserve it.
The push of communism.

And this is why I don’t talk this shit when I’ve been drinking.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Shit, HD we were typing at the same time. I posted and then saw what you said.

Good idea.

I just finished this bottle that was under the bench, gimme a minute I’ll grab a bottle from the truck to leave in its place.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

How do we form a society where a big part of the population is not employed or even unemployable?

Paid employment is maybe fairly recent for a great part of the populace.
For example, when I was young it was not that common for a married woman to work for pay.
In fact many had to resign on marriage.
The mother stayed home and cared for the children, instead of the modern practice of paying a great part of her income for child minding.
She cooked instead of paying more for prepared meals etc. She cleaned instead of paying people to clean.
She mended and darned instead of throwing worn or damaged clothes away and buying new.
Mum told me of her mother working ALL night making a new shirt for grandpa.

And these days both partners pay a great deal and spend a great deal of time, travelling to work.

My grandfather had a farm. Wheat and animals. He got cash money for selling milk;
they had eleven children so guess who milked the cows and 'separated' some of the milk to get cream.
So for the family they had milk, cream, butter, and meat.
Grandpa killed a sheep maybe once a fortnight, and took the shotgun out in the evening to kill rabbits for the pot.

They had lots of fruit trees. Apples were picked and stored on the floor in the spare room.
They made jam from the fruit, sometimes the boys would solder it into cleaned petrol tins, four imperial gallons!
Or pack it into cut down beer bottles (must have been from friends, they didn't drink) with paper seals pasted on top.

In earlier days Grandma made her own bread, and she always cooked cakes and biscuits ('cookies').
She told me when she was making the bread she used a bag of flour a fortnight.
That's 150 pounds of flour.

There was irrigation to the farm (stock and domestic mainly) so grandpa had a huge vegetable garden.
That supplied the house,
and every week he travelled seven miles in the horse drawn gig ('sulky') to the stock market in town.
While there he sold boxes of vegetables and that must have kept him in tobacco and a few household cash purchases.
He did not wear underpants that would need buying, he wore a leather jockstrap.
They mended their own footwear. And built their own house from mud bricks they made on the farm.

So they had the income from the farm for major expenses but most small costs
(which added up to their main expenses) were from cash from vegs and such,
or things were made or produced or provided at home. Not obtained through paid employment.

And before that time, there was the peasant economy.
You had a little land; and what you needed you made or produced yourself, there was little paid employment.

There should be the possibility of a lot more of this, rather than relying on paid employment.

Geoff
Last edited by The Baker on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Baker
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

C9598071-D646-4FB1-BACB-3E002D7130BA.jpeg
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Couple days ago I was at a friends place and they had their grandkids over. The kids were making a banner for their annual family reunion later in the week and were arguing what to write. Of course I pulled the oldest (9) aside and gave him something to work with. Kids had it half done before the mother and grandmother saw it and freaked out.
I told the kids it was all about their family so the banner should read “celebrating 100 years of mental illness “.
I laughed, he laughed, the women asked me to leave. Before I left though there was a cute 8 year old who was talking about how she wanted to make money for some toy or whatever it was. I said “you want to make a quick dollar”? She said “sure” I said go say this to grampy.

She went over and said “grampy, for a dollar I’ll tell you who sleeps with Grammy when your gone” (big grin and looks back at me!) The place got quiet and then she laughed and said “ME, you owe me a dollar grampy!”

Everyone laughed except Sharon. (the grandmother)
Mike (grandfather) was howling! Course he was laughing so hard he took the brunt of the yelling instead of me so that was great too.

Don’t know why Sharon doesn’t like me...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Forgot to mention, went to Home Depot today. The price of EVERYTHING!!!!!!
But anyway, went to HD and of course there’s a line outside, I almost kept going but I needed some electrical boxes and plugs, etc so I park the truck and get in line. 7 people but at first it was going pretty fast, then it started to rain. As I’m talking to the guy behind me I move under the awning and he follows me, we keep on yakking. He nods his head so I look, there 4 people in front of us, standing in the rain, on the little circles! I couldn’t let it go, so I said “people it’s raining, you won’t die under the awning eh?” A couple turned around, but the funny one was the woman, wearing her mask AND face shield, turns and says “people like you are why people are dying” and turned back around. I started to laugh and said “at least the colour is not running from my hair”.
She put her face shield up over her head and ran to her car and left.
Turned back to buddy behind me and said “and then there were three”

Imagine being so scared of something, that you stand in the rain instead of moving 2ft to the left because of a circle an employee randomly placed.

You went in the contractors door but you’re not a contractor????? Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!! We’ll all die!!!!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Hahaha, it’s 1:03am, I’ve been drinking... for a long time . Wife just came downstairs yelling because I’m on the computer, drinking, I should be in bed, she can’t sleep, blah, blah, blah. I looked her and said in my best “drunk as a skunk” voice “you look familiar, where have I seen you before”?

I guess I don’t have to go to bed now, probably have to fix the door she slammed it so hard. I think the windows in the garage rattled!
Haha, that’s funny right there!

Since I got some time I think I’ll post some meme’s. Are they meams or me me’s?
Anyhoo, let’s see what I can find in the old tickle trunk.
BAD8549C-E5F5-4566-A4A5-DBED1C5904BD.png
4FE6382B-4E5C-4BEE-BC29-72B91EC8FC11.jpeg
2C04CA2C-8D1E-413D-B4CD-B522F52E4F25.jpeg
E14CE4A3-AC44-4033-A715-859A64447F6C.jpeg
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Ahhh, shite! Just realized I’m in the the liars bench not the jokes thread, my bad.
Going there to post the meme’s.

Ruh ro.... wife’s up again, stomping around. Who knew you could flush a toilet that hard??

1:28 and the world is fine!!!!!!! (Cept for the crashing) hahahahahahaha

Well hello my darlin (all grain)
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, it’s 2:18am and I’m heading to the garage to get some peace and quiet.
Don’t know what she’s so mad about, I couldn’t sleep with all the door slamming and stomping around either!
I’d fire up the race car with open headers but pretty sure the neighbor s wouldn’t like it. So, im gonna go check on the sugar wash I put on this afternoon. 100L sugar wash I have detailed in the sugar forum.

Smell ya later

And I’m taking this bottle with me, I’ll leave another next time.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

Got me a record player now I'm in the garage listening to music with a glass of sbb molasses rum from last year while I run some sugar wash strips. Nice to have some personal time
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Not sure wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 pm listening to music with a glass of sbb molasses rum from last year
I don't want to derail the thread into an oaking discussion, but did you oak it? Opinions on toast only vs. char seem to be split down the middle when it comes to rum. Got an opinion for a newby to the rum world?
Plain ole pot rig.