The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: The liar's bench

Post by SassyFrass »

RR, do a bit of each and see what you like. That's what I did. Found out I like it all. White to way way way too oaky. I have a tendancy to hide stuff in the hills then forget where I put it. I used to make maps, but lost the maps, now I just treat it like mana from heaven when we find a few jugs. Sharpy wears off glass after a few years, masking/painters tape labels dont hold for any time, and fancy labels dont last either. So we got quite a few jugs of likker that's 5, 10,+ years old white, charred, etc...that we have no idea what it is. Did figure out the older I get, the more simple my palette is getting. I think I like the white likker better than most of the stuff I oaked/appled/cherried/peared etc... Just have fun with it. JMHO
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

SF - That sounds great, finding long forgotten likker in the woods! I can only hope to be in that situation some day and boy do I hope I am!
I plan on doing some of the rum several different ways. Just curious about the long term effects. I guess I'll find out once the painters tape rots and the sun fades the sharpy marker. That's OK though.
Plain ole pot rig.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

RR, painters and masking tape dont take much to disappear from the jugs. I put jugs in small caves, under big rocks, etc... Nothing was sitting out truly exposed to the elements. But, none of my "labelling" efforts paid off. Havent run a drop in a few years, but ain't had to break down and buy store bought likker in ages.
I reckon old habits are hard to break. There's folks on here that keep quite a few gallons around the house. Me, I was taught different. You never, ever, keep anything more than a quart (under the sink) around the house, and maybe another quart or 2 out in the barn. Just for medicinal purposes, of course.
Just about everybody (over the age of 50) keeps a little bit on hand for coughs and colds. A few folks still make their own cough syrup. And there's some older folks in their 80's that take a small snort every morning, before their coffee and chores.
I've rambled on enuff, I'll leave a jug here for folks to use to help loosen up their rheumatiz. [emoji16]
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Sometimes, I remember that the simple things in life are the most satisfying.
Spent the day mowing in the hay field, now sitting on the porch. Having a snort or two (just to cut the dust) and realized it dont taste a bit like corn. I'm not sure what I made this with, or how old it is, or anything else about it. I dont have a discerning enough palette to tell if it has hints of this or that and nuances of something or another. All I know is it's a pretty good tasting jug of white. Dont really warm up until it hits your belly. No bite at all. Just a pretty good sip of likker.
SF

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

49066035-4923-406F-9467-8521485578A0.jpeg
Just bought a 1954 international farm all tractor.
I was looking at a ‘49 cub but got the 54 100 instead.
EC7D1145-6E35-4744-9014-90B4FB192D69.jpeg
2862540E-E135-4D37-B6D9-A568A7228E9C.jpeg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:37 am 49066035-4923-406F-9467-8521485578A0.jpegJust bought a 1954 international farm all tractor.
I was looking at a ‘49 cub but got the 54 100 instead.EC7D1145-6E35-4744-9014-90B4FB192D69.jpeg2862540E-E135-4D37-B6D9-A568A7228E9C.jpeg
:clap: fantastic.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I think old tractors are cool as hell. The new imported shit is over rated. Id take that old farm-all over a new "Jung Deere" any day of the week.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:37 am Just bought a 1954 international farm all tractor.
I was looking at a ‘49 cub but got the 54 100 instead.
My first love. I learned to drive on a Farmall 100. I began by being small enough to perch between the left fender and the drivers seat, to help steer. By the age of 10 or 11 my granddad trusted my judgment enough to turn me loose with the thing; the rest is history.

The Farmall 100 was one of the few tractors configured in that offset configuration; intended so that the driver could look down beneath his feet to better follow a crop row or something. The tractors were heavier than they looked, which is a good thing. The offhand (right hand side) wheels were usually weighted to compensate for the imbalance.

Aside from a couple of headlights, your tractor seems to be missing its belt drum on the PTO. (We didn't have any old style belt driven machinery on the farm, but we did use the lower inline PTO shaft to power a brush-hog or a high pressure pump).

I miss the old girl.
changeshot004.jpg
(Internet pictures)
changeshot002.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:37 am 49066035-4923-406F-9467-8521485578A0.jpegJust bought a 1954 international farm all tractor.
I was looking at a ‘49 cub but got the 54 100 instead.EC7D1145-6E35-4744-9014-90B4FB192D69.jpeg2862540E-E135-4D37-B6D9-A568A7228E9C.jpeg
Very nice. looks to be in good shape. I have the 1940 DC-3 Case which was the tractor my mother learned to drive on. It is restored although certainly not show ready. My mother's older brother only had one speed, all out. He came into the yard one day and didn't make the corner, rolled the tractor. Grandfather made him fix it. 14 year old by with a farm welder that probably lowered the voltage by 20% on the old rural electric system every time an arc was struck makes some pretty horrible welds. I am presently restoring a 39 JD B that my father used to mow with when he was young. Going to cost twice as much to restore it as it will be worth, but no price can be put on the smile I will get when I am out mowing with it when finished.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

subbrew wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:24 pm Going to cost twice as much to restore it as it will be worth, but no price can be put on the smile I will get when I am out mowing with it when finished.
If it wasn't for that attitude these old pieces of equipment would be lost to photos and folklore. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Plain ole pot rig.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

River Rat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:37 pm
If it wasn't for that attitude these old pieces of equipment would be lost to photos and folklore. :clap: :clap: :clap:
A little insanity and hell, will give my daughter something else to figure out what to do with when I am gone.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, I drained about 8quarts of oil out and cleaned the filter, put 15/40 diesel oil in it to the full mark (about 3 1/3 quarts) topped up the hyd oil (90weight) then welded up the plow.
Came in, wife wanted to go to a friends place.
We get there and David is complaining about the coyotes getting all his barn cats or “outdoor cats” as he calls them. I asked how many? He said in the last 3 months he’s lost 8 cats. I asked where is he getting the cats from? He said the local shelter.
I said, sounds to me like your feeding the coyotes a diet of cats from the shelter.. then his daughter who was listening in the next room started crying... crap...lol.

Time to get back to plowing 😆
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

goinbroke2 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:14 pm Well, I drained about 8quarts of oil out and cleaned the filter, put 15/40 diesel oil in it to the full mark (about 3 1/3 quarts) topped up the hyd oil (90weight) then welded up the plow.
If it has been sitting you might want to change the gear oil in the transmission as well. I drained the transmission on my case and half of it was water. If it doesn't get worked condensation will build up. If it is worked it gets warm enough to drive that off. Damn Case gear box using 10 gallons of oil.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

goinbroke2 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:14 pm David is complaining about the coyotes getting all his barn cats or “outdoor cats” as he calls them. I asked how many? He said in the last 3 months he’s lost 8 cats. I asked where is he getting the cats from? He said the local shelter.
I said, sounds to me like your feeding the coyotes a diet of cats from the shelter.. then his daughter who was listening in the next room started crying... crap...lol.
I fed the coyotes for a long while but haven't seen any for a long time.

they must have got tired of eating lead.
be water my friend
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

subbrew wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:36 pm
cob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:38 pm rocky mountain version of mint julep. now the last time I did this was about 50 years ago and

ended up wrestling a bear (for real), but the stuff in the jug was better than raw dickel :thumbup:
That sounds pretty good. And there is a bear story in there that the bench needs to hear.
Now that the snowflakes have melted or crawled back under a rock.

We made a batch and partook fluidly and eventually went out to a friend's ranch.

Joe and his buddie were avid hound hunters but a mistake was made and a sow

was killed and Joe took one cub and Jim took the other to attempt to raise them.

At Joe's the bear had a den and about 50' of chain attached to the barn. the truck

was parked just outside the chain line and the tailgate was the bar and the julep

was getting to the lower half and somehow I took a stumble and a little more and

I fell well inside that chain line. Covered my ears and head and rolled as best I could

the bear was on me in an instant and biting any thing it could touch. and i'm rolling

the bear is biting I'm rolling the bear is biting. my buddy says roll the other way the

girls are laughing the bear is making sucking sounds as it's biting at what seams to be

20 times a second, I finally get outside the chain line and I get handed the jug. now

it's late fall long john weather, levis flannel, but I had these little marks everywhere

1/8 x 3/4 pinch marks everywhere through all those cloths seemed like hundreds of

them front back arms legs everywhere. now I swear that bear weighed 8 or could have

been 9 pounds.

The fickle finger of Dickel
be water my friend
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Good story, thanks for sharing
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Interesting story Cob. Old George will get ya if ya ain't careful. We see a few bears once in awhile but not as often as when I was a kid.
But orphans and strays we get plenty. We had a stray chicken show up last year, now we got almost 30 hens running around. Wife said she needed friends, so...
Couple days ago we had a whitetail fawn wander into the yard and lay down next to one of our great pyranees dogs. I reckon coyotes got its momma. So, we've been bottle feeding it and it seems to be doing ok. It likes the dogs better than the goats. But, the goats are a bit grumpy, so I understand why it likes the dogs better.
I reckon if a stray orphan bear cub showed up, it would get fed too.
Enough of my rambling.
SF

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Yes, I remember swimming at our local beach when a young pup shark came swimming through my mates and me after a barbecue lunch.
We had a few steaks and beers and our dutch courage was up so I went back up and grabbed an uncooked steak off out of the eski.
The young shark swam around for a little while trying to work out what was happening, a little spooked by the noise I guess but eventually it swam up and took a little nibble from the steak I was holding in my hand.
After a few nibbles, it became quite accustomed to the activity and the noise and it was eating quite freely from my hand. Eventually it swam off.
Sharks are territorial animals and I wondered if it had gone far so I went down to the beach again the next day and took a piece of rare meat on the off chance it was still around and to my surprise, it was!
Same thing happened, a little timid and then it got acclimatised to the noise and settled in for a bit.
Well, that carried on for some time and now, 15 years later, I take my young toddlers down to swim with the shark every day during the summer months, December through to late March.
He swims with us when we swim out to Wedding Cake Island every Sunday and most mornings. We only just found out he is a Great White.
Just goes to show, nature is an amazing thing!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Coogeboy, now that is a neat story. Especially being able to share it with your family and pass it down to them.
We ain't got the sharks with fins here in Appalachia. Most of our sharks walk on 2 legs and blend into the crowd.
Spent my last hitch in the Army stationed in Hawaii. I think in the 3 years I was there, only one shark attack was reported. Or at least, that's all I remember. We would see sharks out in the water once in a while, but I was never that close to them. Jumped into and did helocast insertions into Shark DZ off coast of Florida a bunch of times. Funny thing was, I dont remember anyone ever seeing a shark in the DZ while we were there.
Reckon I'll stick to the hills and hollers. Not sure if I'd want to swim with a shark. But thank you for telling us about it.
SF

Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

:shifty: That’s nice CB, let’s get the predators accustomed to the smell of animal blood and the taste of land meat. Hate for ‘em ta get bored eating all that fish. Just a thought betwixt sips. (On a side note, my spell check didn’t bat an eye at the word betwixt). :wtf:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Hell Yonder, if it's like the beaches here in the US there is plenty of land based food in the water already. Plenty of slow food on the hoof for them, seasoned with coppertone and other chemicals. Youd think all them predators would get together and have a few hunts near or at the touristy beaches during tourist season.
SF

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

subbrew wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:17 pm
goinbroke2 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:14 pm Well, I drained about 8quarts of oil out and cleaned the filter, put 15/40 diesel oil in it to the full mark (about 3 1/3 quarts) topped up the hyd oil (90weight) then welded up the plow.
If it has been sitting you might want to change the gear oil in the transmission as well. I drained the transmission on my case and half of it was water. If it doesn't get worked condensation will build up. If it is worked it gets warm enough to drive that off. Damn Case gear box using 10 gallons of oil.
Good idea, I replaced the seal in the hydraulic pump ($47.00 for a tiny seal!!) and have been plowing the 13 yards of #1 shale all over the driveway. Total of 26 yards so far and need at least 20 more for in front of the garage.

Found out there is 3,745,924 grease nipples on this thing! Plus oil lube holes like the back of the starter. All these spring loaded caps and grease nipples!
Anyway, since it has a fair amount of blowby, I think I’ll make a pvc system to replace the “road draft tube” system on it now. Once it gets warmed up it smokes like a locomotive.

More to follow...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Speaking of wild animals, I can’t find the pictures but I posted them on here a few years ago, anyway....

I was outside lab city (Labrador, Canada) and there was an issue with polar bears getting into the garbage and generally causing trouble. One day I here a ruckus out back. On my back deck is a 900lb polar bear digging through the garbage cans. They were tied to the rail and the lids were bungee corded so it was giving it fits. Knowing the cans were empty I watched with amusement as he’d peel a lid back and it would snap back on. After 10 minutes or so it starts trying to rip the can from the rail to take with him. I opened the door and started yelling at him and wasn’t having much luck when a neighbor walks around the back of the house and starts talking in Inuit and waving a stick. I was about to say something but I was dumbfounded as the guy walks right up on the deck and pokes the bear in the ass! The bear swung around and they locked eyes, the guy talking steadily. The bear reared up on its back legs and was at least 12ft tall. The guy just pointed the stick and kept talking. Bear dropped down and walked off my deck!! He followed it down as I went out and said holy shit.. but he shushed me and kept following the bear. When they got to the tree line the guy stopped and the bear looked back but kept going.
The guy came back and I was like “what the hell was that?! “ He said “don’t show any fear and be firm with them and they’ll listen”. I said “really? What about the couple that was attacked and killed last year on their snowmobile?”
He said, “oh I’m just talking in town in mans area. Go in the wilderness in bears area and they will eat you, never go near a polar bear in the wild.” And then he just walked away.

Never got a chance to test that theory before I left there, lol.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I heard I could find every lying bastard on the forum in this one place.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:22 pm I heard I could find every lying bastard on the forum in this one place.
I am here with you...

Geoff
The Baker
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:22 pm I heard I could find every lying bastard on the forum in this one place.
well, i am just here to hear how tall others can make a story,. myself would never lie... just look at my signature.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Ain't saying folks here on the bench might stretch the truth a bit..., but who's gonna let the truth get in the way of a good story?
SF

Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

SassyFrass wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 am Ain't saying folks here on the bench might stretch the truth a bit..., but who's gonna let the truth get in the way of a good story?
SF
now that is all a good story needs, the taller the get the better they walk...
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

According to the court records my parents were indeed married before my conception and subsequent birth.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Strictly speaking, you could find every lying bastard on this "bench"

Are you casting nasturstiums on my character?

:oops:
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....