The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: The liar's bench

Post by Durhommer »

So I'm sitting here with a rain day thinking about starting a ferment but I have a weekend trip to Arkansas with the wife planned I've never started a ferment and just left it I mean I dont fiddle with them but I'm always around if I need to be you know. I guess I'm just worried about it foaming and blowing the lid off or something and i come back to a mess so as I type this I guess I've decided to wait on it
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Hell I leave town all the time. It's nice coming home to my beautiful wife and a finished ferment... in that order! Just leave some head room in the fermenter and you should be fine. I probably wouldn't leave any heat on it if you're using any kind of heater.
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:43 am So I'm sitting here with a rain day thinking about starting a ferment but I have a weekend trip to Arkansas with the wife planned I've never started a ferment and just left it I mean I dont fiddle with them but I'm always around if I need to be you know. I guess I'm just worried about it foaming and blowing the lid off or something and i come back to a mess so as I type this I guess I've decided to wait on it
That whiskey wont make itself. Just get it started leaving plenty of head space like RR suggested. I'm going to try to get another mash going this weekend, but I know it will be three weeks or longer before I can get to stripping it. I'll just leave it covered and undisturbed. Ive got grains all weighed out for 3 more bourbon ferments I want to get done before I go get another 5 gallon barrel.

You know what they say, "procrastination gets you nowhere."
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20210325_153900.jpg
I started my wheat mash
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

:clap: :clap: :clap: It will be that much further along when you get home!
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 pm 20210325_153900.jpgI started my wheat mash
(Wash). Someone else mashed that for you to get you the concentrated goodness. I bet that's going to make a nice whiskey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:57 pm
Durhommer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 pm 20210325_153900.jpgI started my wheat mash
(Wash). Someone else mashed that for you to get you the concentrated goodness. I bet that's going to make a nice whiskey.
I'm hoping for close to a gallon or better after head and tail cut and I just figured it was a mash since it was made of grain
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

If it was already made then you’re putting on a wash from someone else’s mash. Or is it now wort? Lol!

Semantics fight!!!!!!!!

Lol!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:00 am If it was already made then you’re putting on a wash from someone else’s mash. Or is it now wort? Lol!

Semantics fight!!!!!!!!

Lol!
I know right... isn't it crazy all our different terms
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So I just got back in town from a wonderful trip with the wife to a ferment that's almost done
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Durhommer wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:55 pm So I just got back in town from a wonderful trip with the wife to a ferment that's almost done
Life appears to be good for you at present .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Truckinbutch wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 am
Durhommer wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:55 pm So I just got back in town from a wonderful trip with the wife to a ferment that's almost done
Life appears to be good for you at present .
Yeah I have no complaints at the moment trying to keep it that way
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Yea ; somebody axed me about my yaller stud horse . He weren't no ordinary dog food killer horse ;
He was Cajun Creek's Golden Kid : a great grandson of 'Man O War'. Birthed at WVU quarter horse farm by Ed Linger . One of the best horsemen I have known .
Neighbor's waste of a son bought the colt as a yearling and kept him in a 12'x12' box for the next 7 years .
His only exposure to the real world was to exit the stall on his hind legs with the help of a buggy whip on his front legs .
Bought him for killer price , papers and all . He spent 3 days in my barn before he found out that he could walk on 4 feet to get a drink of water . It was a battle of wills from then on .
(To be continued).........................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Once he figured out that walking on 4 feet and not squealing meant that he would prosper we were on the right track . Taken a while , but we seemed to reach detente .
Then came the day that I tried to introduce him to the idea that he should wear a saddle and carry a man on his back .
That worked out particularly poor for bofus .We was both considerably bunged up after the session .
Consulting Ed Linger , who had raised his daddy and made him a champion , gave me little encouragement .
"Never had a fallin out with his pap . It was always a declared war .Taken a long time , but I finally won ."
I contemplated that while I fought 2 more draw matches with that yaller stud . Not what I really wanted for a pleasure horse .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Now , a horse's defensive measures are fight and flight . Strappin the leggs of a cold blooded horse will normally enforce compliance . A hot blooded horse , on the other hand . will fight you to the death . You got to get out ahead of that . I roped him up for a throwen hitch and laid him down with 4 feet tied together . Sacked him with a piece of tarp , sat on his head while I shot off about half a box of shells from my pistol , and blew and spit in his nose . Walked off for an hour and came back and rolled him over and did the same . Horses are one sided . If you train one side , you have to train the other ; they do not assimilate .
Anyhow , when I let him get back on his feet ; that child was a totally different animal .He belonged to me !
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Truckinbutch wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:51 pm Now , a horse's defensive measures are fight and flight . Strappin the leggs of a cold blooded horse will normally enforce compliance . A hot blooded horse , on the other hand . will fight you to the death . You got to get out ahead of that . I roped him up for a throwen hitch and laid him down with 4 feet tied together . Sacked him with a piece of tarp , sat on his head while I shot off about half a box of shells from my pistol , and blew and spit in his nose . Walked off for an hour and came back and rolled him over and did the same . Horses are one sided . If you train one side , you have to train the other ; they do not assimilate .
Anyhow , when I let him get back on his feet ; that child was a totally different animal .He belonged to me !
myself enjoying your strugle. not big into horses. when young i had a friend that was big on horses, arabs... he had a stallion, very timmed.... untill i mounted him. it did not end well for me.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Grew up on a 168 acre farm, loved animals but had no use for them before they got to the table. Feed and carry out manure... couple girls down the road had horses, I like girls, I got to know/ride horses with them.

Everything I know about horses you could write on the head of a pin and still have room for the first four amendments to the constitution.

Course that don’t stop me from having an opinion, lol!!!

Eagerly awaiting your trials and tribulations TB!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

goinbroke2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 am ... couple girls down the road had horses, I like girls, I got to know/ride horses with them.

Everything I know about horses you could write on the head of a pin and still have room for the first four amendments to the constitution.
How much do you know about girls / women?

My worldly advice about women: Can't live with them, can't live with them. :D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Me and that stud horse got to be more and more friends after that rough day in the barn lot . Got to where I would take him to the southern mountains in the spring and ride him around as a travelling stud . Gettin sex on a regular basis appealed to him as it did me .
Rode up to a remote farm one day to find the lady of the house tending the garden .
She allowed that the menfolk was about 50 miles off working to get a crop in on another parcel of land they owned . Wouldn't be back for several days .
Then she asked ,
"Mr Stud Horse Man , Who's gettin the most , these days ?"
"Well , as of today , he is 2 ahead ."
"HMMM ...... Appears to me that this is your best chance to break even this week ."
When me and the yaller horse left there the next day , he was 3 behind .
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

TB, i aint saying i dont believe your story but my pop would say, make it a bit taller and it would walk itself.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 pm
goinbroke2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 am ... couple girls down the road had horses, I like girls, I got to know/ride horses with them.

How much do you know about girls / women?

My worldly advice about women: Can't live with them, can't live with them. :D
I always say, “women, can’t live with em, can’t sell em for parts”

Course if you could sell em by the pound I could buy an engine for the mud truck with the wife....wait, that’s not nice...lol.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Might not have been nice but was funny tho!!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Looks like I'm gonna have to dust off some tales of Kiddmans barely broken in brumbys , they ain't placid pony club nags like ole Yella
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I figured the talk was about hay burners, so I brung a jug of apple to the bench. Had a bunch of horses growing up, some good some ok and some not worth the powder and lead to put them down. For my money I'll take a good mule any day of the week over a horse. Working or riding, a good mule will out do most every horse going. Besides, living in the mountains, there's quite a few places a mule can go, but a horse cant get to. Now days everybody talks about how stubborn mules can be...and that's true. But that could be cause they're smarter than most of the folks on their backs too.
Butch can have his purty yeller horse but I'll take a gaited mule every time. And both of us will be happy.
Just my $.02.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My grandfather made his livin with horse teams his whole life . He preferred a mule for both riding comfort and economy .
Being a bidness man , when he went horse tradin ; first thing he'd do is lift the tail and look at the asshole .
Claimed that a horse with a big asshole would be hard to keep and cut into profits .
Me and that yaller stud was just an interesting interlude in my life . We had a bond and grew to understand each other ;
When a gal that had a serious carnal interest in me came around he would sniff a bit and pass judgement to me . Got laid a lot without gettin my face slapped for askin .
I sold him during a divorce and no one else was able to handle him .3rd owner cut his nuts and still didn't improve his disposition .
Such is life ...............
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

had a couple pack horses years ago that were part of my every day for almost 3 years

one was a knucklehead wanting to browse every other step, so he always took the rear

tied fairly short to my lead horse. She on the other hand on an uphill would come up close

and put her head on my pack and give me an assist. On a downhill she would backup

on the lead and give me some extra brakes. that was the only time I kept horses.
be water my friend
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I like goats, goats are cool. Had rabbits, chickens, cows but goats were my favourite.

Grade 9 was the last year in my rural school, 10-12 was in the city, 17kms from my place. First time I went to the cafeteria there and bought (bought!!) my lunch I took the milk back because it was bad. Got another, it was bad too. Buddy tried it and said it was fine. I looked at the box and said “oh this is COWS milk”. Everyone looked at me weird. I said “I drink goats milk”
Couldn’t stand cows milk until later in life, the army don’t care what you grew up on, they buy from the lowest bidder. Your choice is drink it, or don’t.

Still prefer goats and goats milk/cheese...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

One of our kids didn't drink cow's milk so we got a goat.
Eventually I got to like it but I wouldn't now.
It had to be really cold.
I really dislike most goat cheeses.

Geoff
The Baker
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I found it’s the same as beer, drink 3-4 home made beer and store bought taste gross. Drink 3-4 store bought and homemade taste gross.
Haven’t drank goat milk or goat cheese in a while now but do go through a gallon of cow every 3 days by myself.
Goat is much creamier and cow tastes grassy but it is what it is.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm I like goats, goats are cool. Had rabbits, chickens, cows but goats were my favourite.
That reminds me of the time I went to a conference on the supernatural, you know spirits, the occult and all that stuff.
I was sitting in the audience and the fella running the show asked us all to stand up, so we all did.
He then said "If any of you have seen a ghost, please stay standing, otherwise sit down." so I sat down with about half the audience.
Then he said "If any of you have ever spoken with a ghost, please stay standing, otherwise, sit down." so about another half sat down you know, leaving about 25% of the audience standing.
Then he asked "Have any of you touched a ghost? IF you have, please stay standing, otherwise sit down". Well there weren't many left standing but then he asked "Have any of you ever had sex with a ghost? and there was only one man left standing right way up the back of the stadium.
The guy running the show said "Sir, can you come down here please" so he did.
When he was on stage, the guy with the microphone said to him "Sir, it is a pleasure to finally meet someone like you, we have never met anyone who has had sex wit a ghost!"
The guy from the back of the stadium said:

"Ghost? I thought you said Goat!"
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....