idea for beefing up a forum.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

just-a-sip
Rumrunner

idea for beefing up a forum.

Post by just-a-sip »

gentlemen,

i know that three is a small section for beer and wine, and although this is a good place to have home brewing discussions i feel that it is still (as im sure its meant to be) that it is still just a offshoot of our distillation hobby.

i propose to the mentors that we add this as its own section with some sub forums to allow for many of the members here who also home brew to have a consolidated place to spend there time.

i know for myself, i am a member of many other sites because of my wine and beer hobby's, however if i had a place within this site that i could have more in depth brewing conversations ranging form recipes (both tried and true and development), a DIY section for sculpture and hardware builds as well as other areas dedicated to all grain brewing, extract brewing, and fermentation i would love it.

like i said i understand that this is a site dedicated to home distillation, but i don't think anyone can deny the link in mashing and fermentation that could help both hobby's.
personally i would love the ability to consolidate both my hobby's and share my knowledge of both in one dedicated location.

let me know what ya think
Just-A-Sip
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: idea for beefing up a forum.

Post by ga flatwoods »

Just a sip,
I would sspect that there are many more on here with a beer and wine backgroung before distilling than those who started out distilling then went to beer and wine. I can see the benefits. I was studying beer trees when I ran across this site and glad I did.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

Not a bad idea for helping to make this more of an all in one site
There's whisky in the jar
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

There is a section for it. That doesn't get used very much now. Not sure how you would get more to use it. By just moving it?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I think this is a great idea.

I have been distilling for about 30 years. My techniques for mashing and fermenting were very basic and did not change much during most of that time. When I started brewing all grain beer about 2 years ago I learned a lot more about mashing and fermenting than I would have thought possible. Much of what I learned is applicable to our goals in distillation. I know I make a much better bourbon than I ever did before I started brewing beer.
I'm goin the distance...
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

Prairiepiss wrote:There is a section for it. That doesn't get used very much now. Not sure how you would get more to use it. By just moving it?

well that's the thing PP take a look into the beer and wine section,

there is lots of talk about making beer and wine for distillation, or basically just a bunch of wine recipes for people who make wine both for drinking and for distillation.

by moving this section into its own forum and adding sub forums to organize it may allow for a easier to navigate site and better usage. im not saying it would make people come here from beer forums, but for those of us who do brew, we could have a section of organized topics and would be able to not go to the outside sites for brewing.

i know i would love to have a place to kick around brewing topics and recipes or talk about some how to's just like we have for distillation. the only reason i don't do it now in that section is because it has no organization and not much going on in there because of that.
Just-A-Sip
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I don't think there isn't much traffic there because its not organized. I could be wrong?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

Prairiepiss wrote:I don't think there isn't much traffic there because its not organized. I could be wrong?
one of the main reasons i base that off of is my personal opinions of course...

i brew but don't post in there because the info is limited at best and unorganized.

also there are a few members on here that i know go to other sites for brewing talk. so if we model the section after some of the brewing forums we can keep all conversations in house.
Just-A-Sip
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The problem I see is. There are a limited amount of people that brew beer or make wine here. I know there are a good few of us. But if I want a good discussion on it. I want it to be seen by many other brewers. That have a lot of experience with it. I'm not looking for the opinions of a few. I'm looking for the opinions of as many as possible. Just like I wouldn't go to a brew forum to talk distilling. The knowledge base just isn't there.

Now I respect the opinions of a good amount of members here. And if I think they can help me. I will sure ask them. But some things are just better asked in the right place.

Not trying to argue Justasip. Just giving my thoughts on it. Which one of us is right. Both of us are for our situation. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

oh believe me PP i always respect your opinions.

and as you may be right on the knowledge base i just always thought it would be nice to share the brewing stuff along with the distilling info.
Just-A-Sip