Au bain Marie

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Au bain Marie

Post by Odin »

Double boilers, water jackets ... are also called Au bain marie stills. But why? The anwer is interesting. Au bain marie is French. The expression derives from a 4th century story about a Christian woman, living in a time when Christians were seen by others as the perfect food for lions and tigers. Anyhow, she was caught, and as a test to show that her faith was in vain, they put this woman, called Marie, in a hot bath. The bath was then heated up and brough to a boil. For sure Marie died, but she never cried out. Not even one word or shout!

"Au bain marie" means "Into the bath you go, Marie!". Hmmm ... that actually means it should not be written as "Au bain marie", but as "Au bain, Marie!".

Nice information that no one will benefit from. But it does not harm either, I guess.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Au bain Marie

Post by likkerluvver »

Nice piece of "useless" information - brightened my day.

Thanks Odin :clap: :clap: :clap:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Yes, interesting info Odin, one needs to learn something everyday, so today you haved helped with that and now that we have learned we can tip our glasses. Thanks :ebiggrin:
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

:thumbup:
this is the internet
jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jus teasin »

Any reason to tip a glass is ok with me