Safe Copper Cleaning Solution.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bassmanii
Novice

Post by bassmanii »

I need a safe cleaning solution for new copper still. Are there any suggestions?
Bassmanii
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

White vinegar, soak all parts overnight. You will be amazed at how effective it is.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Yep

Post by Uncle Jesse »

ketchup or lemon juice
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
bassmanii
Novice

Post by bassmanii »

Thanks so much for the two suggestions. 'The Bassmanii'
Bassmanii
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

are both of these suggestions good for cleaning just before a run ? or to remove heavy deposits after soldering ect.. some say baking soda water solution to rinse with before a run .. But I havent tried that one myself
msrorysdad
Bootlegger

Post by msrorysdad »

I sometimes coat my copper in catsup (that's how spell check does catch-up) overnight, then rinse, makes her shiny. I sorta like the aged look (less work), I just rinse mine with water after a run.
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

H2SO4 - but not out of a battery - buy it from a battery shop - but dont call it battery acid - you'll get a lecture about the dangers of lead.
bassmanii
Novice

Post by bassmanii »

CoopsOz wrote:White vinegar, soak all parts overnight. You will be amazed at how effective it is.
I used the White vinegar solution, and it cleaned wonderfully. Thanks. Bassmanii.
Bassmanii
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I followed goose eyes sugggestion and scrubbed mine with hot backset. That is the best cleaner I have used.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Im leaning towards the White vinegar, really seems to work well for me ..
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

Take one gallon of cheap white vinager and pour in 1/2 cup of salt. Apply to copper and rince off. It cleans fast, but dont leave it on to long it will turn the copper a grey hugh. I pour this into a bucket and submerge my copper scrubbers in it as well. Leave em in for about 1 minute and they are shinny and new. Dont forget to rince though...Pugi
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

what does the salt if anything do Pugi ?
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

Not really sure, got the idea from one of the websites. All I know it turns coroded nasty copper to new right in front of you eyes. You can watch it happen. Much much faster then straight vinegar.

One of the chemist on here could give a technical version I am sure...Pugi
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yeh

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Salt on copper, think statue of liberty
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

UJ, Its only on there for a short time then rinced off. Not like it is in the elements 24/7. Give it a try, you wont be disapointed....Pugi
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

UJ is right, but for very occasional cleanings it is OK.

Vinegar and salt (or even better than that, lemon juice and salt), simply disolve away the copper (or copper tarnish), and do so pretty quickly. They work "like" an electroplating machine (in reverse), but here are simply ripping the copper off of your material.

However, if you simply rub on, and wash (wash WELL) off, to remove a hard tarnish, then little if any damage is done.

Now for thin structured copper packing, if you treat them like that (dip for a minute to clean), I bet that after 10 cleanings in salt & vinegar/juice, you will have lost much (if not most) of the copper. Scrubbers might have enough material to handle a few cleanings, but structured stuff is pretty fine to start with.

However, even soaking in straight vinegar does disolve the copper also (but to a lesser more controllable extent). I bet commerical copper cleaners would also remove material (but I could be wrong). They "could" remove the O from the copper oxide, and leave the copper, but I doubt that. I bet they are also simply an acid that etches off the surface layer.

H.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Goose Eye, thanks for the hot slop tip. I used it yesterday and I will probably never use vinegar again. The hot slop works faster and seems not to be as savage as vinegar, after all, copper is a precious commodity these days. The ol' timers really did know what they were doing! :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Re: yeh

Post by hornedrhodent »

Uncle Jesse wrote:, think statue of liberty

How many stills would that make?