I'm first

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

I'm first

Post by Uncle Jesse »

To post in the new location
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

That was fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Great to be back online. However, this site seems a little slower.

H.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

might be

Post by Uncle Jesse »

might be a bit slower at the moment. i'm working on things. might have to get better bandwidth. but we're back and in a better situation.
Husker
retired

Re: might be

Post by Husker »

Uncle Jesse wrote:might be a bit slower at the moment. i'm working on things. might have to get better bandwidth. but we're back and in a better situation.
I am pretty sure this is a bandwith issue. I am seeing 20 to 35s page loads, and when there are non-cached graphics (Avatars, smilies, etc), then it is usually 30-45s to load pages.

Usually, this is bandwidth issues (or server overload, but I think this is not the case, as I think this Phpbb is the only thing running on your server).

Were you running this out of your own home, on a cable line before? To me, with the latency, it seems like a ADSL issues, with simply not enough upload bandwidth.

H.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

perhaps but i think the problem is that the server is swapping

i'll add more ram in a day or two if at all possible
Home Distiller

Re: well

Post by Home Distiller »

Uncle Jesse wrote:perhaps but i think the problem is that the server is swapping
The short answer is it depends...

The longer version is linux will naturally put things into swap that aren't needed in favour of hdd caching and of course foreground programs.

You can also speed up PHP scripts by caching pre-compiled copies, you will need to look into eaccelerator this will hugely increase PHP performance.

Other tricks you can apply is enabling gzip compresson in Apache, you seem to be running Apache 2 and there is a compression module for it iirc, apache 1 needed mod_gzip.

Of course dumping apache and using lighttpd will give you the biggest performance boast of all, combined with php precompiled versions of scripts you can get some significant returns on minimal hardware.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Home Distiller wrote:
Uncle Jesse wrote:perhaps but i think the problem is that the server is swapping
The short answer is it depends...

The longer version is linux will naturally put things into swap that aren't needed in favour of hdd caching and of course foreground programs.

You can also speed up PHP scripts by caching pre-compiled copies, you will need to look into eaccelerator this will hugely increase PHP performance.

Other tricks you can apply is enabling gzip compresson in Apache, you seem to be running Apache 2 and there is a compression module for it iirc, apache 1 needed mod_gzip.

Of course dumping apache and using lighttpd will give you the biggest performance boast of all, combined with php precompiled versions of scripts you can get some significant returns on minimal hardware.
never used linux, i use unix (freebsd), been a BSD admin for 15 years now.

trust me, we're swapping:
www# whoami
root
www# ifconfig -a
vr0: flags=8843<UP> mtu 1500
inet 76.212.42.57 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 76.212.42.255
ether 00:50:8d:59:8f:18
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP> mtu 16384
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
www# swapinfo
Device 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity
/dev/da0s1b 2097152 129376 1967776 6%
www#

I am using PHP 5 with zend built in. I am using apache because it's far superior to any other web server software out there.

We need more RAM obviously and again, i will try to add it soon. I upgraded from php 4.x to php 5.x, apache 1.x to apache 2.x, mysql 4.x to mysql 5.x for this switch which is a pretty big task.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I am still nervous about the server being in the US, and not as secure as an off-shore server.
And if the feds knock down your door, they can have their way with all of our personal info.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
Home Distiller

Post by Home Distiller »

Uncle Jesse wrote:I am using PHP 5 with zend built in. I am using apache because it's far superior to any other web server software out there.
I've played with Zend in the past it dosen't work for me as much as other options do.

As for apache, about the only thing it has over lighttpd these days is bloat. Light can server a lot more on a lot less hardware.
We need more RAM obviously and again, i will try to add it soon. I upgraded from php 4.x to php 5.x, apache 1.x to apache 2.x, mysql 4.x to mysql 5.x for this switch which is a pretty big task.
All those later versions added more bloat if what was working was doing the job then all you did in upgrading was give yourself more headaches.

KISS ;)
Home Distiller

Post by Home Distiller »

pothead wrote:I am still nervous about the server being in the US, and not as secure as an off-shore server.
And if the feds knock down your door, they can have their way with all of our personal info.
If you're that worried about yourself you should never submit personal information in the first place, after all they can't take from the server what you don't give.

Things you can do to protect yourself:

* Use tor
* Create a new free webmail that you only access over tor
* Never connect to this webserver unless you use tor

The US Government among others is pushing very hard for your ISP to track your IMs, emails, websites you visit etc etc etc, so they don't even have to get access to this server to find out what you're doing, and I'm trying to encrypt as much traffic to and from me as possible these days because of what governments are doing and have already done in the nam eof various causes.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

If Big Brother wanted any of us dont you think they would already have us? Dont put any personal info on any site that would not expect Big Brother to have access to, They dont really need to have the server to snag any one of us for that matter ..sad but true if ya think different I would suggest waking up friends its called reality ..for the server Issue Maybe we could each donate 10 bucks or so to Help Uncle Jessie get what ever he needs to get this up to better speed .. whats 10 bucks people , we each have taken more than that from here many times over ..theres alot of knowledge and Great people here , because we(my self included )dont always get spoon fed , doesnt make it any less of a great site.. there are different ways to donate to the cause , for the ones that want to remain anonymous ... Im willing to do my part to help .. are you ? Anyways just a thought, Uncle Jessie may have different opinion about it .. :D
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

new_moonshiner wrote:for the server Issue Maybe we could each donate 10 bucks or so to Help Uncle Jessie get what ever he needs to get this up to better speed
I'm all for it, if you can organise a fund UJ I'll donate. I owe this site (and it's members) a lot more than 10 bucks.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Home Distiller

Post by Home Distiller »

new_moonshiner wrote:there are different ways to donate to the cause , for the ones that want to remain anonymous
I'm all ears ;)

e-gold is getting shafted at the moment because they wouldn't bend over far enough for the US govt, and a lot of other similar operations are ducking for cover...

Another approach might be to ask companies that sell products in this area and find out if they're willing to pay for advertising on the site?

At a guess a number of users may already be in this category, but ya never know.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Speed is back up to what it should be. Page load are now under 5s (some at 2-3s).

H.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

CoopsOz wrote:
new_moonshiner wrote:for the server Issue Maybe we could each donate 10 bucks or so to Help Uncle Jessie get what ever he needs to get this up to better speed
I'm all for it, if you can organise a fund UJ I'll donate. I owe this site (and it's members) a lot more than 10 bucks.
UJ, a great way to make a little extra money to help pay for the site is by using "google ad-sense" we use it, and it helps alot.
you should look into it. Also, getting places like brewhaus, and other suppliers to put a banner on the site for a monthly fee(we get $200 a month from out advertisers)

to check out what I mean, look at hxxp://www.freedomfta.net/forums/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
(of course, change the xx to tt)

Home Distiller

Post by Home Distiller »

pothead wrote:UJ, a great way to make a little extra money to help pay for the site is by using "google ad-sense" we use it, and it helps alot.
you should look into it.
I was going to suggest this but US companies have a history of not allowing websites with content that is questionable on either legal or moral grounds, paypal is notorious for this kind of behaviour.
Also, getting places like brewhaus, and other suppliers to put a banner on the site for a monthly fee(we get $200 a month from out advertisers)
Pretty much the conclusion I came to, espcially since it's almost impossible to make annoymous donations if you can't hand over cash in person.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

google adsence is not as bad with the "questionable" stuff as you would think. If you look at the link I posted, and see what the content of our site is.....we are all about "free satellite tv" .

and I have friends with similar sites that all take advantage of the google adsence.

Just my 2 cents.

It is always nice to have the companies that make money off of us help to keep us involved in the hobby, and help to keep information free.