Cigars

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hunter87
Novice

Cigars

Post by Hunter87 »

Well I'm new to cigars so I joined the Thompson cigar club . They send. 5 cigars a month for 29.00 of all different kinds . Enjoying a monte cristo now as I run the still. So what do you all like?
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Re: Cigars

Post by Beerbrewer »

I'm more of a pipe man but I do enjoy Chinchalero Torpeditos, as tax here is crippling on tobacco products I only occasionally get a few when I'm flush. They cost around £3.40 or $5.60 each but probably the cheapest best quality cigar I have found.
Hunter87
Novice

Post by Hunter87 »

I do enjoy a pipe I have a dr. Grabow pipe and have a bag of black cavendish tobacco that I really enjoy. I really enjoy it when fishing on the river or on boat.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Usually Dutch cigars. Not as fancy as Cubans, but easier to "digest".

A few a day.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Partagas, Indian Tabac
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

i smoke and sometimes chew and gave up buying the comercial stuff years ago. i grow some my self and buy whole leaf from wholeleaftobacco.com because there is not a bunch of crap added and you only get taxed like produce . it is work but it is my other hobby. i can roll stogies and make chew you cant buy. practice makes perfect. sound familiar to this hobby?
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Uhmmmm, good cigar with a glass of whiskey (one ice cue please) on the porch...uhmmm....luckily I live in a state that hasn't taxed the fun from a cigar. For those that do, check out Cigarbid.com. Mailorder and no sin tax...

bonehead, I grew several kinds a few years ago and had some fair success...damn I couldn't roll it well enough.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

DAD300 wrote:Uhmmmm, good cigar with a glass of whiskey (one ice cue please) on the porch...uhmmm....luckily I live in a state that hasn't taxed the fun from a cigar. For those that do, check out Cigarbid.com. Mailorder and no sin tax...

bonehead, I grew several kinds a few years ago and had some fair success...damn I couldn't roll it well enough.
when i started rolling i mad quite a few backwoods replica looking cigars. i mostly grow for ciggs. and cigar wrapper. filler is cheap. crappy wrapper is used for binder.
Hunter87
Novice

Post by Hunter87 »

I love me some backwoods cigars while out on the duck boat during season. Nothing like a smoke and some coffee or later on whiskey.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

About a one-a-day cigar smoker, two-a-day on weekends. I have pretty much settled on Punch (Maduro wrapper) as my normal go-to brand. To me the price/value seems about right. Some of those things are way overpriced. For $10 it better be smoking me.
Braz
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Avo No.2 Maduro.

For you old farts the aroma is a farkin' blue haired ol' lady magnet.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Anything from Arturo Fuente. The 858 is my favorite. But at 125 for a box my more regular smoke are bundles of Dominican double corona.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RNaka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RNaka »

Hunter87 wrote:Well I'm new to cigars so I joined the Thompson cigar club . They send. 5 cigars a month for 29.00 of all different kinds . Enjoying a monte cristo now as I run the still. So what do you all like?
Believing that civil disobedience is the hallmark of a free society I favor Cubans.

Reed
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

RNaka wrote: I favor Cubans.
Back in the 80s I had some pre Castro (documented)sticks in a humidor on my fireplace mantel.

Neighbor kid broke into our house and smoked them.

Not too fuckin' funny.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

CAO Brazilia is a damn fine smoke. I'm a cigarette smoker so a box lasts me awhile.
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I agree with you RNaka, I love Cubans. I smoke Trinidad Coronas and Montecristo Number 3's or 4's. I am by no means encouraging illegal activity, but you can order them by the box from Solocigars in Panama. They take the bands off and put the cigars in a different box. They ship the cigars, then a week or 2 later ship the box in 1 package and the labels in another. It's always funny to get a letter from the customs people telling me that they confiscated a package I ordered (it's always the rings/labels) and if I wanted to I could file a grievance and have a court date to try and get them back. "Keep em... I had the cigars a week ago," I think to myself. I especially love the Trinidads... if you are somewhere that sells Cubans, try one out.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Buckshot
Novice

Post by Buckshot »

F.D. Graves and Sons Bouquet Special
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

My favorite so far is. La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial Lancero. They run around $10 each local. I only smoke them on certain occasions. Along with a nice whisky on the rocks. Rockchuckers rye goes really nice with it. I don't smoke cigars that often. Maybe one every two months or so. I have two humidors full at this point. With no room to buy any more.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Somebody said Fuente...
Fuente.jpg
In gunfighter slang...my edc.

A long time ago, I used to get my share of Cuban Cigars, because I did business in Mexico...not so lately!

We talked about perique tobacco infused whiskey here once. I'm going to New Orleans tomorrow and will visit a shop that hand rolls perique.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

DAD300 wrote:Somebody said Fuente...
Fuente.jpg
In gunfighter slang...my edc.

A long time ago, I used to get my share of Cuban Cigars, because I did business in Mexico...not so lately!

We talked about perique tobacco infused whiskey here once. I'm going to New Orleans tomorrow and will visit a shop that hand rolls perique.
Playing my song there! :thumbup:

Ive smoked a few cubans over the years, but I inhale, and them babies are a kick in the nuts. Hondurans less so, but still brash on the throat and lungs. I stick to Dominicans now, tasty and mild and inhales smooth.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

My go to cigar is any drew estate stogie. Most of them are a great, smooth, tasty smoke!
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

mystakilla wrote:My go to cigar is any drew estate stogie. Most of them are a great, smooth, tasty smoke!

And Blondies are my favorite :thumbup:
It is what you make it
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

La Gloria pyramids in Maduro. Rich and smooth. Not for everybody, but they will compliment any beer or drop.
http://halfwheel.com/review-la-gloria-c ... mide-supra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sedaterman
Novice

Post by Sedaterman »

Cuban partagas series D. Otherwise Perdoma champagne is a good value for an everyday cigar. I go robusto. The fuente short story is a great little cigar for a quick outdoor winter smoke.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Been smoking Antonio Y Cleopatra grenadiers. Around $1 per cigar online, its an affordable daily smoke. They are machine rolled, but hey... I can't afford to regularly smoke a 5$-15$ cigar. All in all, I am happy smoking them.

Will buying myself one of those fancy sampler packs from Thompson soon.
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Michaeln416 »

My all time favorite is the Romeo y Julieta Churchill. However I'm out of practice and the last one I smoked really kicked my ass. I've learned my lesson and now stick with a mild, but very flavorful Dominican Torpedo by Don Diego.
Having fun and great success sprouting/roasting/smoking my own malted barley
I brew in 50L batches using local natural spring water and fresh baker's yeast
8 Gallon SS Reflux Still for neutral & 20 Gallon Copper Pot Still for everything else
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Got a Partagas black label. $12, but lasts over an hour. Almost black wrapper with light filler, hand rolled import. Its a beautiful smoke.

Absolutely my new favorite. Its going perfect with Irish Death dark ale and rye whiskey. Cheers.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

what an odd habit. Never have been able to get my head around cigar smoking, It simply takes too much fussing.

But then, like Grandma used to say, "It takes all kinds to fill up the bus."
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, thats a funny post Boom. I suppose many people think us stillers are a little loony too. Going to all this fuss to make a solvent we gleefully ingest.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Arturo Fuentes, don't remember the "name" of the size, but around 6" and between 46-48 ring size.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: