Happy Thanksgiving

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Happy Thanksgiving

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Just wanted to wish all those that celebrate Thanksgiving a Happy one! Hope everyone has a good time with family, eats too much and has a few drinks of their special concoction.

I know im thankful for my family and friends, a simple lifestyle, and this site for giving me the knowledge to a wonderful and rewarding hobby that I dont see myself ever giving up!
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Post by ga flatwoods »

Thanksgiving or not, we should count our blessings every day. Life is short and should be lived every day as if it were our last. Enjoy your families and if traveling be careful.
Ga Flatwoods (next seven dsys 70 highs 50's lows)

Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

A happy Thanksgiving everyone. Even in tough times there remains much to be thankful for.
Braz
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Happy Turkey Day to you all

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Happy to all. As many of you know I have a lot to be thankful for. As we all do. Some just dig deeper than others
Just got back to the distillery after a great surf vacation. I ate a years worth of ceviche at Leo's in a week. Superb rum made a few miles up the coast. Pictures we're a big NO. Understandable. Ecuadorian politics are crazy right now.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Been cookin' all day today. My family and I are gonna pack it up and go visit with my father in law tomorrow. He's alone this Thanksgivin'. The rest of the family are off with other kin for the holiday. He's a good ole boy - should be a fine day of gut stuffin' and story tellin'.

Y'all have a nice thanksgivin'.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Sounds like a feast to cherish SC.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

hope its a good one for all. :thumbup:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm hosting this year, my parents have always hosted thanksgiving have moved to Florida. They're staying with us and we're cooking 2 24 lb turkeys on Weber barbecues. Gonna be a full house with 32 people. Fortunately, I think i have enough bourbon, beer and wine on hand. Hope you all have a great thanksgiving.
I'm goin the distance...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Happy Thanksgiving to all...!!! I actually get to celebrate both tomorrow and Friday at relatives homes... Have two turkeys in the freezer, just in case we don't end up bringing any leftovers home...
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Happy Thanksgiving All, And To All A Good Night!
Into the hot chess pie pretty heavy tonight. :wave:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

image.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

My Thanksgiving just turned super stressful. I started deep frying a turkey, last year. Picked up a fryer, for the pot still I'm STILL building, and decided to give it a try. Well, my bro-in-law's girlfriend usually makes a turkey. She got all pissy, cause she thought I was trying to steal the day, from her. I just wanted to make one, and most of the FAM had never had one. Well, by the end of dinner, my turkey was demolished, and hers was 3/4 still there. Her turkeys SUCK, BTW. A crazy recipe, each year. Last year was apples and moscato... Don't ask. Well, I didn't find out, till last night, my turkey will be THE Turkey. That's a whole other story, why her 4 year streak is at an end. So... Turkey is brining, fried cauliflower is par-cooked(tastes great, and easy to make), and Mac and chesse is staged. This year, I'm thankful for my 2 mos old baby girl.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Tomorrow I'll cook a traditional stuffed turkey with gravy and mashed potatoes. I made fresh cranberry sauce and of course and a little snake oil for whatever ails folks. :)

I don't go for experimental cooking on thanksgiving. There are 364 other days in the year to mess around in the kitchen.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I just started some creme brulee, one of the few things my wife doesn't cook. It's a recipe I developed and perfected some time back but only make now on special occasions. The wife is cooking a nice 20# turkey that we fell $6 short of getting for free :evil: but that's OK it was still cheap. Lots of other food too. I managed to somehow get the whole week off but have been working to try to get everything ready for the big feast and begin putting up Christmas decorations. I also have 4 bottles of dessert wine reserved for after dinner, one is now 3 years old and the best one I ever made. Every batch I've made since then has been an attempt to duplicate that one and sadly this is the last bottle :( I got a lot to be thankful for, things may not be perfect but they are pretty damn good and I am very thankful that every morning something wonderful happens...I wake up. :D
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Cranky
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Well we are celebrating with my fam this year. My mother is cooking a 22lb turkey and I'm smoking a chicken for a side. I can tell already we are all going to eat way to much! But hey, better than not eating enough!
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

My daughters and grandchildren are around. The ladies cooked six pies today and are starting on the turkey in the morning.
Tomorrow, one of the son in laws will join me in his first beer brewing, followed by 30 gallons of all grain corn distilling, 15 gallons of blackberry brandy. And more turkey and pie than a whole village of Ethiopians could eat!

Finally, I am thankful for the community here at HD, that has taught me so much. I will do my best to repay, by sharing it with the next generation of distillers.
Thanks Brothers!
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Counting many blessings today! Headed out for a 5 mile turkey trot, then a traditional feast with family. Life is good, cheers to all! :wave:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Very thankful for all the blessings God has given us this year. First grandchild, healthy children a job that pays the bills. This morning my 11 year old daughter who has never killed a turkey, shot one in the yard with her pellet gun. Did it all by herself as I thot she was looking for squirrels. Looks like I'll be putting the store bought bird back in the freezer and will be frying my daughters gobbler. This evening I will be breaking out my oldest bottle of oaked SF and sit around the fire with my family and reflect upon how truly blessed we are. Best wishes to everyone, and reach out to someone less fortunate than yourself today.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I'm truly thankful for another wonderful year. Family disasters averted and turned into successes, looks like we'll be homeowners again around the first of the year and our health has been holding out well.

We'll spend the day at my sister's place around the corner with close friends and family. My responsibility is the stuffing and I'll bring along a bottle of apple brandy that's been getting really good for the digestion.
I've been working on exterior Christmas lighting for the last two days (just call me Clark) and the place will be beautiful when I hit the switch for the first time on Friday evening and not before.

I only wish I could travel a bit more so I could meet more of you. I got to meet rockchucker22 earlier this year and he is what I expected of a denizen of HD. Truly nice people!

Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate this wonderful holiday and to those that don't....you don't know what you're missing!

tp
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Well the wife and I got up early to put the turkey in the oven. This is the first year with a convection oven. Who knew that a turkey that takes 4.5-5 HR in a normal oven would only take 3HR in a convection? So now here it is not even 11AM and the turkey is done before anything else except the deviled eggs. Deviled eggs are a great breakfast by the way.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

Well... My deep-fried turkey was a success, again. I think it was even better than last year. I even got a compliment, from the bro-in-laws girlfriend(the one I "stole" the "turkey crown" from). I just wish there was enough for left-overs. It got demolished!
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Well, another turkey day under the belt. Can't say enough good things about a day dedicated to fellowship and eating. It was a lot of work, but rewarding. No one else in my family can really cook, so it's pretty much my job. Cooked all day yesterday - a sweet potato Hail Mary, pumpkin pie, a southern style cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, green beans seasoned with bacon, and creamed mashed potatoes. Got up at 5:30 this morning to cook a little 8.5 lb turkey to take with us to my Father in laws apartment. All of it gluten and lactose free for those with ailing bowels. It was a lot of work, but made an old man happy and I'm thankful for that.

Also, thankful that I don't have ailing bowels.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Happy thanksgiving to my friends south of the border! Very thankful to have met a great group of guys and gals on this forum!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

ga flatwoods wrote:Thanksgiving or not, we should count our blessings every day. Life is short and should be lived every day as if it were our last. Enjoy your families and if traveling be careful.
Ga Flatwoods (next seven dsys 70 highs 50's lows)
Us Canadians did Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. we gotta get at it early...current forecast: highs -20*C, lows -30's *C... and we are getting 15" of snow with lots of wind.
i'm thankful for:
a) heat
b) gettin' to know y'all this year

Hope all y'all have a safe and fun weekend with the people that matter the most to you!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

All I can say is I ate way too much. Regreted it for about 3 hrs afterword! But fought off the need to recline and fall asleep in the chair and drank some beers with the family. Even had a few shots of sweet feed that I had aged for 6 months. Overall it was a good day. The Lions even put on a good show today.