Browser stats for HD this month

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Browser stats for HD this month

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Struck me as interesting.

If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Browser stats for HD this month

Post by Brutal »

Interesting for sure! I wonder if the Safari folks are on their Macs, or if that's on iPhones? Is there a way to see Tapatalk app use?
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I'm surprised Midori didn't make that list.

Firefox is now the stock browser for Ubuntu. Nice to see that high up on the list.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Brutal wrote:Interesting for sure! I wonder if the Safari folks are on their Macs, or if that's on iPhones? Is there a way to see Tapatalk app use?
Not that I can see offhand.

We did get 509 hits from Sony Playstation though.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Actually, 231,000 from iphone, 257,000 from ipad, 396,000 from android.

I assume most of those are tapatalk.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

bearriver wrote:I'm surprised Midori didn't make that list.

Firefox is now the stock browser for Ubuntu. Nice to see that high up on the list.

I use Chrome under FreeBSD.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

Android on the phone, Ubuntu ( well, Mint, same thing) on the PC.

Interesting, nice to see the open source is so embraced by the community.

Winblows, for mugs really, and, I do not mean a nice mug of foaming ale.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

Be nice to see how many of those numbers are contributing users.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Chrome on Linux mint and android tapatalk here.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

root@homedistiller:/ # uname -a
FreeBSD homedistiller.org 9.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE #0 r277287: Sun Jan 18 10:15:13 PST 2015 root@homedistiller.org:/usr/obj/disk2/src/sys/CUSTOM amd64

We'll be upgrading to 10.1 soon.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

InglisHill wrote:Be nice to see how many of those numbers are contributing users.
I was doing some very rough estimate keeping using some of my own personal coded monitoring software, and I was seeing:

65% surf by
25% regulars
6% good robots (google, bing, etc)
3% bad things (like site suckers, hackers, etc).

**** Warning, long boring off-topic explanation coming. ****

The site suckers are VERY bad things. Although they usually are not a giant overall monthly bandwidth hog, they are extremely aggressive for a short time. Often they will be a single site sucker, taking 200-500% normal traffic for a couple hours (that along with the 'normal' 100% traffic of all other users during that time frame). They often use multiple threads, and hit the site as fast as they can. Site sucking a generated website like the forums is horrible. They will get 10's of millions of pages, hitting the site that many times, since the URL's are generated, and often link with slightly different sets of params. A site sucker spidering the parent site is not so bad. I carefully wrote that, to have a couple hundred UNIQUE urls. But the forums (and worse, the wiki), are out of the box software that does not spider well. Google/bing (or other 'good' spider robots), have invested a LOT of time trying their best to carefully handle URL's generated by phpbb (or other generated pages forums/wikis). They try to spider well, and without overloading the site. The forum software is also written to recognize these 'good' robot-spider programs, and it serves them up pages that have had a lot of the extreme eye candy stripped off of them. The pages still look good, but some of the highly recursive redirects are not there.

But as you see from above (again, this was just my observations, with code that listens to the httpd-conf.log file for what files were sent to what IP/agents), a pretty large amount of the server bandwidth is from 1 off surf by, or 'non' regular users. This can often be observed by looking at the 'referer' section. When we have the referer filled in with something like a google search, we know that we likely have a surf by. Yes, this also catches someone using the 'Forum Google Search' button at the top of the page, but the amount of times our faithful users do that, compared with the true surf by user, is very minuscule.

NOTE, I have not really been tracking for 6 months or so. the pattern stayed pretty consistent. Some times the good and or bad robots would hit us a little harder. But it stayed 'close' to what I list. The one thing I did see, is that the larger and more active our user group became, the smaller overall percentage of the website traffic they take. Sounds like an oxymoron, but it is not. the google rankings go up, and that drives even a higher percentage of surf-by users. Thus, if we grew by 10% regular users, the overall impact on the site was about a 15-20% growth.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

%3? That quite a bit of malicous traffic. I have wonder if all the malicious attempts are simply fishing the web for exploits, or worse, some being targeted attacks...

The first one is rather mundane and to be expected when hosting anything on the web.

The latter, would be much more interesting. Who would target this website? Its not like HD is Samsung and some overseas corp is trying to steal secrets before they become patented... You see targeted attacks and subsequent lawsuits on that constantly. Perhaps one of the competing forums has incentive to run targeted attacks? :think:

VERY intriguing...
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

What about our own goobermint? Just wond'rin'.

tp
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

You'll never see them, until it's too late.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Only a fool would assume that the government doesn't know about this site. But then, how much do they really care? On the grand scale of threats to society I'd say we rank pretty low. Then again, I don't think they really care about threats to society as much as threats to revenue, and again, I doubt that hobby distillers account for enough loss in revenue to worry the powers that be. How much would an investigation cost as opposed to a few dollars for a few proof gallons worth of tax?

I get plenty of hits from .gov sites. They don't worry me. The ones which don't resolve to any hostname worry me more. I only keep my HTTP logs around a few hours so that I can have my stats program grind them for me, then they are deleted.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I can explain at least one government hit you get regularly from "forces.gc.ca" LOL!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!