%&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Re: %&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Post by HDNB »

Northern Alberta...the forecast for summer this year is that it may land on a weekend! :ebiggrin:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I noticed on Facebook 5 years ago today it was snowing at our house. My neighbors are complaining about the rain, makes me glad I am in Hawaii and getting out and doing things.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

So turns out I'm about over this shit, woke up to sunshine today. That lasted about ten minutes then started the wind rain hail and sleet, that's right gawd damned sleet, if it snows in hell I bet it's friggen sleet. Man I hate this shit
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

thecroweater wrote:So turns out I'm about over this shit, woke up to sunshine today. That lasted about ten minutes then started the wind rain hail and sleet, that's right gawd damned sleet, if it snows in hell I bet it's friggen sleet. Man I hate this shit
Yeah we had sleet today, about two in the afternoon. Don't often see it, thought it was hail at first but it was light like feathers, not solid like hail.
We are not that far from the mountains so it probably fell there as snow??

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I'd say so, I'm south of you and the end of the same chain of mountains. Basically the arse end of the Great Dividing Range. Yeah snow I don't really hate and my kids love the stuff but sleet ain't nobody got time for that shit :thumbdown: .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I'll take the cold and snow. But sleet n freezing rain is for the damn loonies
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Dammit, y'all quit complainin. I recorded 29 days over 100 now. Car thermometer tole me it was 109 on the road mid-afternoon today. I'll trade ya even up.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

29 days of bliss , now ya just rubbing it in
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Aw, hell, Croweater I like yer attitude! Keep smiling an all that. When life gives ya lemons.... Limoncello! :crazy:
Mack10
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mack10 »

Hoping for lots of snow in Michigan this winter. Throttle thumb is itching, but have to fill the freezer with venison first.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

well here in southern quebec the leaves are in full color
moose hunting and deer hunting is on
and it won`t be long the first sprinkles of snow.
2 weeks ago it was 80 degrees
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:...and it won`t be long the first sprinkles of snow. 2 weeks ago it was 80 degrees
St. Louis weather is completely unpredictable and is a rollercoaster ride for the most part.
Typically in Winter we can have a snowfall one day, and 80°F the next. The only constant is our wonderful 80-90% Summer humidity
and "out of nowhere" violent Spring rains. Fall is a toss of the dice between frigid and fiery days.
Midwest US meteorologists mostly throw darts at the Forecast Board, and cross their fingers for luck while gazing at crystal balls.

And don't get me started on St. Louisans driving in snow. It's as if it were the first snowfall in history.. . .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

fizzix wrote:And don't get me started on St. Louisans driving in snow. It's as if it were the first snowfall in history.. . .
To be fair, I'm told it's difficult to fight the urge to speed up while being shot at.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The Ides of March...Big Julie day! and I think we're done with both the snow and winter! Not a bad winter at all, only four storms with no snow accumulation over 8 inches...in fact it's been a very good winter! I think this is the mildest winter we've had since we moved to the States...and she's done, the robins are back, the daffies are up...2019 is looking GOOD! :clap:
Getting hung up all day on smiles
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Hopefully your right. Northeast had hard fall easy winter the bad or worst has been just a couple weeks ago still snow on the ground. 40s and 50s ahead
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I've come to realise what it is that I hate about winter. I thought it was the cold, the snow, the... Well this year has been exactly like the farmers almanac said it was going to be like, colder than normal and less snow than normal. I'm out walking in the snow one day (scrunching along) when I had an epiphany. When its -10 or more, its cold but dressed properly, you can still work outside, I had flashbacks of living/working in Petawawa Ontario where -40 was normal winter temps. The snow is dry and crunches under your feet, but you are DRY. Snow is easy to blow/ its very light.

What I hate is the Maritime weather which is +5, -5, +5 ,-5 and everything is soaked. You can't get warm as the cold goes right through you. You have to wear insulated rubber boots. THAT SUCKS!

This year has been -20 (unheard of in Nova Scotia) to about -5 for the vast majority of the winter. (a few odd jumps to +9 and then right back the following day)

With all the talk of sunspots and their effect on earth (and other planets) and the fact that there has been a trend of less sunspots for the last few years and earth has trended cooler for the last 5 years or so I think the cat is out of the bag on how the farmers almanac does it. I forget the exact numbers but the almanac has a 70+ percentage of being right, and has had those same percentages for the last 300 years. (its the oldest publication in North America) How did they always get it right where everyone else was around 20% accurate? Nobody knew what method they used to predict the following years weather. I think people are starting to see how they did/do it. Remember, they were doing this LONG before computers were invented, and were 70+ percent right. They are predicting, using the sunspots and more or less admitted it.

Now the scary part, a few years ago they predicted that earth is on a 50 year cooling trend. Since then, the earth has been cooling (unless you listen to certain news outlets who only report high temps) and the sunspot activity exactly mimics the sunspot activity in the 1730's - 1750's, the start of the mini ice age that ended around 1850. In 20-30 years we could be looking at the Thames frozen over in the winter like it was in the 1840's.

Oh well, time to reverse for the 6th time in 120 years and go back to "ice age coming" instead of "the earth is burning up". Of course the only way to prevent it is to send money to....
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Of course I can't find the original chart I was researching, but here are a couple others.
Attachments
Note, this is the one used by the "vaunted" IPPC
Note, this is the one used by the "vaunted" IPPC
Modern-Grand-Maximum-To-2100-Herrera-2015.jpg
Cooling-Warming-Temperature-Cloud-Page-17.jpg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

kiwi Bruce wrote:The Ides of March...Big Julie day! and I think we're done with both the snow and winter! Not a bad winter at all, only four storms with no snow accumulation over 8 inches...in fact it's been a very good winter! I think this is the mildest winter we've had since we moved to the States...and she's done, the robins are back, the daffies are up...2019 is looking GOOD! :clap:
Ah, the Ides of March.
Bad day for Julius Caesar, good day for me.
It's my birthday.

Geoff
The Baker
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Happy birthday Baker are you really 78? I know that my days at hauling 55 lb grain bags up and down to an from the basement are numbered. Have a great day.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Very Happy and many more Geoff...your right, good day for you...bad day for Big Julie!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

acfixer69 wrote:Happy birthday Baker are you really 78? I know that my days at hauling 55 lb grain bags up and down to an from the basement are numbered. Have a great day.
Thanks everyone!! And it was a great day.
Yes, 78, but I didn't say that in my post, did I?
Must be Big Brother looking over my shoulder.

Geoff

BTW in the old days as a baker the flour bags were 150 lbs of flour. G.
The Baker
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Lol, no big brother it was posted in the birthday line at the bottom of index page.
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

:shock: aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! isn't this the 9 of APRIL???? :evil: Spring time? Sun? Mud Season?
This is the 2nd f-ng day of snow. 2 friggin inches in the last hour, the fricken plow trucks are out
putting more don"t break your bike out yet sh&%t .aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :twisted:.
:econfused: cough;cough;cough! wheeeeez! cough cough. :wtf: :roll:
rant over :oops: sorry guys thanks for reading :wave:

bronctoad
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

You must be on the east coast, this is the third day of snow here and its going up to 9 on Sunday and back down, expecting snow next week too. You're running a bronco, you should be having a blast! lol.

April.....

Snow....

Yeah, aaarrrrgggg about says it all.

Good news is, I have the kids racecar all ready to go and I've ordered parts for the mustang so IF we have a summer this year, I'll be ready to race!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Sleet here last week. Over 90 twice this week.
Ain't life grand? Just remember: every day on the right side of the grass is a good day!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yup this is that cross over period where both hemispheres can get the same bullshit weather
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Back in sunless Victoria of wind driven rain, hail and sleet and yes it is snowing at the moment. After months of being mostly in South Oz this feels like some kind of frozen hell.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Glad I dont live at that end of Au Crow. Blue skys and 26c here. :thumbup:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

thecroweater wrote:Back in sunless Victoria of wind driven rain, hail and sleet and yes it is snowing at the moment. After months of being mostly in South Oz this feels like some kind of frozen hell.
Highlands is the operative part of the name of your area.
We live around 200 km North East by East from you and no snow here though it is REALLY cold.
It is dead flat here at an altitude of 108 metres above sea level.

Cheers,

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Severe weather warning here, rain, hail, up to 130 kms an hour wind with moderate snow down to 400 metres. Fun few days coming up.