%&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

wpkluck
Swill Maker

Re: %&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Post by wpkluck »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:40 pm When life gives you snow, make whiskey!
snow buckets.jpg
It snowed here this weekend, and this really didn't work for me. The snow melts too quickly, and I was constantly refilling. I've been making my own ice blocks, they last much longer (and allow me to enjoy the run!).
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

We got a 3' dump here last week in about 10hrs time. Then we got another two feet then it went to -16. Been cold as hell ever since but today is -3 (normal this time of year historically is -3) and tomorrow it looks like another three day storm.

Hear about Germany freaking out for the last 5 days due to the solar panels all covered in snow and the wind stopped for 5 days so there's no wind power either. Merkle put out something about slowing or stopping the coal plant closures. Lol!!!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Just gotta learn to live with it! It’s been -30c most of the week, and we’ve got a buttload of snow. Got the girls out ice fishing today and cleaned up on ling!
BCB7CFF7-03BA-4B6B-BB70-BCF3D74DFFB3.jpeg
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:00 am
Durhommer wrote:Its snowing and minus 6 degrees and my car wont start the wife's gotta get to work
Lower radiator hose heaters are something like $40. I am going to put one on all my cars after this clears to ensure we don't get another winter that I will need it. [emoji16]
LOL, you can't even buy a car in Canada without a block heater.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

HDNB wrote:
Durhommer wrote:Its snowing and minus 6 degrees and my car wont start the wife's gotta get to work
Lower radiator hose heaters are something like $40. I am going to put one on all my cars after this clears to ensure we don't get another winter that I will need it. [emoji16]
I think it is a good thing to have no matter where you live.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:16 pm
HDNB wrote:
Yain't spent a power of time in central South Oz ave ya, heater hoses don't freeze much when it's 130 in the water bag :moresarcasm:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

thecroweater wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:16 pm
HDNB wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:00 am Lower radiator hose heaters are something like $40. I am going to put one on all my cars after this clears to ensure we don't get another winter that I will need it. [emoji16]
Yain't spent a power of time in central South Oz ave ya, heater hoses don't freeze much when it's 130 in the water bag :moresarcasm:
What if you travel?
Although you have a good point. [emoji16]
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Wife opens the car trunk now it wont close it's too cold to work on it so she went to work with the trunk open
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

One of the best things about living in the PNW is that snow is almost always gone a day or two after it arrives.
There is not much left in my neighborhood other than the piles from shoveled snow, and the deep drifts caused by the high winds, with more rain on the way to help wash it all away.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
SpeakEasy
Novice

Post by SpeakEasy »

west Central Missouri here and it was -19(Actual Temp) on my way in to work this morning.
The wise man has something to say. The fool has to say something.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

SpeakEasy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:59 am west Central Missouri here and it was -19(Actual Temp) on my way in to work this morning.
Minus 11 here
KernelBurner
Novice

Post by KernelBurner »

Just got finished about 2 weeks of deep freeze here ... windchill took it to below -40 and we broke a record for continuous values/hours below -40. Not the worst snow I've seen here but I wouldn't be upset if it all went away soon :D
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

wpkluck wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 am
MichiganCornhusker wrote: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:40 pm When life gives you snow, make whiskey!
snow buckets.jpg
It snowed here this weekend, and this really didn't work for me. The snow melts too quickly, and I was constantly refilling. I've been making my own ice blocks, they last much longer (and allow me to enjoy the run!).
Yer doin’ it wrong, put the snow in the whiskey, not the flake stand!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:00 pm Yer doin’ it wrong, put the snow in the whiskey, not the flake stand!
My whiskey tastes too good to dilute. Ever since I started distilling, I enjoy it neat. (Don’t know what a flake stand is)
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

wpkluck wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm
MichiganCornhusker wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:00 pm Yer doin’ it wrong, put the snow in the whiskey, not the flake stand!
My whiskey tastes too good to dilute. Ever since I started distilling, I enjoy it neat. (Don’t know what a flake stand is)
Flake stand is yer condenser barrel if you run a worm style condenser
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Texas! No power since 0200 Sunday. Temp went to 7F not above 25 since. 6 in of snow and if you could get somewhere it would be closed. They say they have no idea when the power will come back. All of that wonderful, bullshit green energy: wind turbines are frozen solid and the solar cells are either covered in snow or hidden in clouds. Glad I make my own...power from a small genny now.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Wow, seems most of the country has sucky weather, that's why I like the PNW. Sat and Sun we had 10 inches of snow. Monday rain and the roads were clear. Tue Most of the snow was gone. Today is sunny and 50 and no snow remains. Seems like spring has sprung :D

Man those 2 days of winter sucked!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

cranky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:32 pm
Man those 2 days of winter sucked!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

B7F575EB-78D6-4556-8F3D-DBDD57FD1D16.jpeg
We left home three days ago with 10” - 12” of snow came down to Long Beach to no snow but a mixture of sun and rain. Very relaxing!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Bushman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:47 pm B7F575EB-78D6-4556-8F3D-DBDD57FD1D16.jpegWe left home three days ago with 10” - 12” of snow came down to Long Beach to no snow but a mixture of sun and rain. Very relaxing!
Lucky sob lol
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

How long is 'the world's Longest Beach'?

At least one of the Australian beaches is called The Ninety Mile Beach...

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

28 miles. Can you drive cars along the ninety miles?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bushman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm 28 miles. Can you drive cars along the ninety miles?
Don't actually know if you can drive all along it.
We have lots of long beaches, one is 220 miles.
You can probably drive 4WD along a lot of beach.

Geoff
The Baker
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I can settle the debate...I looked it up :D

According to the interweb
( https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the ... 20miles%29.)
the worlds longest beach is Praia do Cassino Beach in Brazil which is 150 miles long, followed by Ninety Mile Beach in Australia. However the interweb also says the worlds longest driveable beach is Long Beach Wa. but it is #8 on the list of longest beaches. Officially the town now say their beach is the "World's Longest Continuous Peninsula Beach." but they have no plans to change their sign.

I love to go to the coast in the winter.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cranky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:17 pm I can settle the debate...I looked it up :D

According to the interweb
( https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the ... 20miles%29.)
the worlds longest beach is Praia do Cassino Beach in Brazil which is 150 miles long, followed by Ninety Mile Beach in Australia. However the interweb also says the worlds longest driveable beach is Long Beach Wa. but it is #8 on the list of longest beaches. Officially the town now say their beach is the "World's Longest Continuous Peninsula Beach." but they have no plans to change their sign.

I love to go to the coast in the winter.
Just looked it up:

It should be called the "World's Longest Continuous Peninsula Beach" because it is the world's longest beach on a peninsula. It stretches 28 miles along Washington's southwest coast starting close to where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean and it then extends north to the entrance to Gray's Harbor.
Every year they also have an international kite flying competition.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Glad someone asked the question...... thought that sign might be stretching the truth a bit.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:59 pm Glad someone asked the question...... thought that sign might be stretching the truth a bit.
Haddabe.

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Five hour drive home today have enjoyed the crisp days and sunshine, hopefully the snow will be gone when I get home~!
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Its 7°f here with a high today of 30°f so it's going to get sloppy out there when that 11" of snow melts.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Been cold here but not bad. -8 which is a bit below normal but we had a day of +3 and rain which put a hard ice surface on everything.
Now you can drive across a frozen field without breaking through.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!