Scumble

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Scumble

Post by cranky »

Like many people I have been a big fan of Terry Pratchett for many years, I have just about every one of his books I have ever been able to get my hands on. My favorites are anything featuring Rincewind the wizzard. Some very sad news came to us fans a few days ago when we were informed that the great author had passed away. As it happened at the time I received the news I was running off a batch of what I like to call "Scumble". As in "Scumble is good for you, it's made from apples...well...mostly apples". To those who may not know anything about Terry Pratchett or Scumble it may be difficult to describe so my suggestion is buy a discworld book, Start with "The Color Of Magic" and "The light Fantastic" and you will be hooked. Those 2 books were also made into movies as was The Hogfather if you want to take the easy route but the books give a depth the movies somehow miss even though they are pretty true to those books. Scumble is a drink which is introduced in one of the early witches books and has made appearances in several other books including "Mort" which is about deaths apprentice. It is a drink that actually evolved over time from a sort of scrumpy cider to a very strong and most certainly distilled drink only consumed in tiny amounts. My own version of Scumble is one of the first things I made and Thursday I drank the last of that precious elixir. I find it somewhat ironic that the day I begin a new batch is also the day he passed away. Anyway, in honor of the man who gave me so many hours of entertainment here is my recipe for own version of Scumble.
Double distilled apple brandy aged 3 months or so on oak and maple
Temper this with a bit of apple jack, apple wine, apple cider and apple juice until you are down to 80 Pr then allow to sit 6 more months. Sweeten slightly with honey and enjoy.
You can see the label I made for my Scumble bottles here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=60
but what you cant see there is the tags I added to the bottles so here is a picture of that.
TAG INSIDE.jpg
I did miss a bit on that label so here is the complete text that will be on any future labels.
The saying goes.
"Scumble is good for you, it's made from apples... Well, mainly apples."

A lot of stories are told about scumble, and how it is made out on the damp marshes according to ancient recipes handed down rather unsteadily from father to son.

It's not true about the rats, or the snake heads, or the lead shot.

The one about the dead sheep is a complete fabrication.

We can lay to rest all the variations of the one about the trouser button, but the one about not letting it come into contact with metal is absolutely true.

Scumble is generally served in tiny, thimble size glasses although occasionally some people have tried to drink it from wooden mugs but this is not recommended.

Never allow scumble to come in contact with metal, unless using it to clean spoons, as an adverse reaction may occur ruining both the scumble and the metal.

One should try to refrain from over indulging but in the event of consuming too much scumble don't be alarmed. Remain calm and know that the green hairy thing that just came through the wall probably exists in another dimension and most likely will not harm you.

Anyway, the best reason not to over indulge on scumble is the hangover.

You can't describe a scumble hangover. The best bit of it is a feeling that your teeth have dissolved and coated themselves on your tongue. This will pass and the accompanying headache will only last a few weeks. It is said that it is a fact that the best remedy for a scumble hangover is a hair of the dog, although it should more accurately be called a tooth of the shark or possibly a tread of the bulldozer. All that said, we hope you enjoy our scumble, preferably in moderation, but if not, remember you have been warned.

However I would like to note that my personal version of Scumble actually has no hangover.
Last edited by cranky on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Scumble

Post by moosemilk »

Never heard of the books, but you have peaked my interest. Sounds like something I would enjoy reading for myself, along with my kids (who are Harry Potter fans...and although only seen the the movies, they do enjoy a good book...and even I liked harry potter).

Always sad when a great story teller passes. If it's an a published author or family elder or the old guy on the front porch down the street.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have a bit of apple brandy languishing on oak somewhere. I'll freeze jack some clear, unfermented, apple juice to cut it to 40% with and call it Scumble if it's any good.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Cranky, shouldn't this go in "Recipe Development" or maybe "Shared Recipes"?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Sad to hear of his passing, though it was only a matter of time. I wonder if his study will continue with the diskworld series as planned.

I've always wondered what it tastes like.

Yak (mourning )
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

moosemilk wrote:Never heard of the books, but you have peaked my interest. Sounds like something I would enjoy reading for myself, along with my kids (who are Harry Potter fans...and although only seen the the movies, they do enjoy a good book...and even I liked harry potter).

Always sad when a great story teller passes. If it's an a published author or family elder or the old guy on the front porch down the street.
I've read all the Harry Potter books as well. I red the original because of all the hoopla about the first one so decided to find out for myself. I almost stopped reading Harry because each book got successively darker and somewhat depressing before finally getting to the end. Discwoorld books are very different and lack the darkness of the Harry Potter books, they are fun and funny and a good way to escape the real world when you need a break.
NZChris wrote:I have a bit of apple brandy languishing on oak somewhere. I'll freeze jack some clear, unfermented, apple juice to cut it to 40% with and call it Scumble if it's any good.
I believe there is no wrong way to make Scumble. :D
S-Cackalacky wrote:Cranky, shouldn't this go in "Recipe Development" or maybe "Shared Recipes"?
Recipe development might be the right place for the recipe itself and I have considered starting a Scumble thread there but I don't think this post actually belongs there since it is more about his passing than actually developing a recipe and in the tradition of Scumble I didn't actually write anything down. Also in the true tradition of Scumble there really is no wrong way to make it.
yakattack wrote:Sad to hear of his passing, though it was only a matter of time. I wonder if his study will continue with the diskworld series as planned.

I've always wondered what it tastes like.

Yak (mourning )
Yes it is very sad and was inevitable as it is eventually with everyone. I believe his daughter is going to pick up where he left off.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

I hope so. It is by far one of my favorite series. For anyone who enjoyed it there is another series by a different author that you all may like. Its called malazan book of the fallen. By Stevev Erickson. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_ ... the_Fallen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

Terry appeared on tv over here many times since his diagnosis with Alzheimers and he was always cheerful, dignified and humble. He helped raise awareness of Alzheimers & dementia, fought for better funding for research and also fought for the right of assisted suicide for sufferers of terminal illnesses.

His demise, while fully expected, has been met with great sadness all the same.

R.I.P. Terry Pratchett.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Mine is getting oxidized now, which I think has made a big improvement on how it tasted a year ago.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Just humbly stumbled over Scumble. The dead rats etc. made me mumble about rum and almost tumble in the dunderpit.
Certainly something to try and make.

(Along with the finding and reading of the mentioned books, I guess.)

Vuvuzela!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NZChris wrote:Mine is getting oxidized now, which I think has made a big improvement on how it tasted a year ago.
I had another taste of mine today. I should put down another, much larger, batch.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Nice! I think the Tiffany Aching books might be my favorite from discworld, I thought it fitting Pratchett got to wrap that storyline up just months before his death.
Naturally I have made bottles of "Granny's Special Sheep Liniment" and a Nac Mac Feegle scotch with a special Rob Anybody commemorative bottle.

For the uninitiated:
“Tell me, is your father a drinking man?”
“He has a beer sometimes,” said Tiffany. “What’s that got to do with anything?”
“Only beer?”
“Well, I’m not supposed to know about what my father calls the Special Sheep Liniment,” said
Tiffany. “Granny Aching used to make it in the old cowshed.”
“Strong stuff, is it?”
“It dissolves spoons,” said Tiffany. “It’s for special occasions. Father says it’s not for women
because it puts hairs on your chest.”
“Then if you want to be sure of finding the Nac Mac Feegle, go and fetch some,” said the toad.
“It will work, believe me.”
Five minutes later Tiffany was ready. Few things are hidden from a quiet child with good
eyesight, and she knew where the bottles were stored and she had one now. The cork was hammered
in over a piece of rag, but it was old and she was able to lever it out with the tip of a knife. The fumes
made her eyes water.
She went to pour some of the golden-brown liquid into a saucer—
“No! We’ll be trampled to death if you do that,” said the toad. “Just leave the cork off.”

Fumes rose from the top of the bottle, wavering like the air over rocks on a hot day.
She felt it—a sensation, in the dim, cool room, of riveted attention.
She sat down on a milking stool and said, “All right, you can come out now.”
There were hundreds. They rose up from behind buckets. They lowered themselves on string
from the ceiling beams. They sidled sheepishly from behind the cheese racks. They crept out from
under the sink. They came out of places where you’d think a man with hair like an orange gone nova
couldn’t possibly hide.
They were all about six inches tall and mostly colored blue, although it was hard to know if that
was the actual color of their skins or just the dye from their tattoos, which covered every inch that
wasn’t covered with red hair. They wore short kilts, and some wore other bits of clothing too, like
skinny vests. A few of them wore rabbit or rat skulls on their heads, as a sort of helmet. And every
single one of them carried, slung across his back, a sword nearly as big as he was.
However, what Tiffany noticed more than anything else was that they were scared of her. Mostly
they were looking at their own feet, which was no errand for the faint-hearted because their feet were
large, dirty, and half tied up with animal skins to make very bad shoes. None of them wanted to look
her in the eye.
“You were the people who filled the water buckets?” she said.
There was a lot of foot shuffling and coughing and a chorus of ayes.
“And the wood box?”
There were more ayes.
Tiffany glared at them.
“And what about the sheep?”
This time they all looked down.
“Why did you steal the sheep?”
There was a lot of muttering and nudging, and then one of the tiny men removed his rabbit-skull
helmet and twiddled it nervously in his hands.
“We wuz hungerin’, mistress,” he muttered. “But when we kenned it was thine, we did put the
beastie back in the fold.”
They looked so crestfallen that Tiffany took pity on them.
“I expect you wouldn’t have stolen it if you weren’t so hungry, then,” she said.
There were several hundred astonished looks.
“Oh, we would, mistress,” said the helmet twiddler.
“You would?”
Tiffany sounded so surprised that the twiddler looked around at his colleagues for support. They
all nodded.
“Yes, mistress. We have tae. We are a famously stealin’ folk. Aren’t we, lads? Whut’s it we’re
famous for?”
“Stealin’!” shouted the blue men.
“And what else, lads?”
“Fightin’!”
“And what else?”
“Drinkin’!”
“And what else?”

There was a certain amount of thought about this, but they all reached the same conclusion.
“Drinkin’ and fightin’!”
“And there was summat else,” muttered the twiddler. “Ach, yes. Tell the hag, lads!”
“Stealin’ an’ drinkin’ an’ fightin’!” shouted the blue men cheerfully.
“Tell the wee hag who we are, lads,” said the helmet twiddler.
There was the scrape of many small swords being drawn and thrust into the air.
“Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willna
be fooled again!”
Tiffany stared at them. They were all watching her to see what she was going to do next, and the
longer she said nothing, the more worried they become. They lowered their swords, looking
embarrassed.
“But we wouldna dare deny a powerful hag, except mebbe for strong drink,” said the twiddler,
his helmet spinning desperately in his hands and his eyes on the bottle of Special Sheep Liniment.
“Will ye no’ help us?”

“Help you?” said Tiffany. “I want you to help me! Someone has taken my brother in broad
daylight.”
“Oh waily, waily waily!” said the helmet twiddler. “She’s come, then. She’s come a-fetchin’.
We’re too late! It’s the Quin!”
“What, there were four of them?” said Tiffany.
“They mean the Queen,” said the toad. “The Queen of the—”
“Hush yer gob!” shouted the helmet twiddler, but his voice was lost in the wails and groans of
the Nac Mac Feegle. They were pulling at their hair and stamping on the ground and shouting,
“Alackaday!” and “Waily waily waily!” and the toad was arguing with the helmet twiddler and
everyone was getting louder to make themselves heard—
Tiffany stood up. “Everybody shut up right now!” she said.
Silence fell, except for a few sniffs and faint wailys from the back.
“We wuz only dreeing our weird, mistress,” said the helmet twiddler, almost crouching in fear.
“But not in here!” snapped Tiffany, shaking with anger. “This is a dairy! I have to keep it clean!”
“Er…dreeing your weird means ‘facing your fate,’” said the toad.
“’Cause if the Quin is here, then it means our kelda is weakenin’ fast,” said the helmet twiddler.
“An’ we’ll ha’ naeone tae look after us.”
No one to look after us, thought Tiffany. Hundreds of tough little men who could each win the
Worst Broken Nose Contest need someone to look after them?
She took a deep breath.
“My mother’s in the house crying,” she said, “and…” I don’t know how to comfort her, she
added to herself. I’m no good at this sort of thing, I never know what I should be saying. Out loud she
said: “And she wants him back. Er. A lot.” She added, hating to say it, “He’s her favorite.”
She pointed to the helmet twiddler, who backed away.
“First of all,” she said, “I can’t keep thinking of you as the helmet twiddler, so what is your
name?”
A gasp went up from the Nac Mac Feegle, and Tiffany heard one of them murmur, “Aye, she’s the
hag, sure enough. That’s a hag’s question!”
The helmet twiddler looked around at them as if seeking help.

“We dinna give oour names,” he muttered. But another Feegle, somewhere safe at the back said,
“Wheest! You canna refuse a hag!”
The little man looked up, very worried.
“I’m the Big Man o’ the clan, mistress,” he said. “An’ my name it is…” He swallowed. “Rob
Anybody Feegle, mistress. But I beg ye not to use it agin me!”
The toad was ready for this.
“They think names have magic in them,” he murmured. “They don’t tell them to people in case
they are written down.”
“Aye, an’ put upon comp-li-cated documents,” said a Feegle.
“An’summonses and such things,” said another.
“Or ‘Wanted’ posters!” said another.
“Aye, an’ bills an’ affidavits,” said another.
“Writs of distrainment, even!” The Feegles looked around in panic at the very thought of written-
down things.
“They think written words are even more powerful,” whispered the toad. “They think all writing
is magic. Words worry them. See their swords? They glow blue in the presence of lawyers.”
“All right,” said Tiffany. “We’re getting somewhere. I promise not to write his name down.
Now tell me about this Queen who’s taken Wentworth. Queen of what?”
“Canna say it aloud, mistress,” said Rob Anybody. “She hears her name wherever it’s said, and
she comes callin’.”
“Actually, that’s true,” said the toad. “You do not want to meet her, ever.”
“She’s bad?”
“Worse. Just call her the Queen.”
“Aye, the Quin,” said Rob Anybody. He looked at Tiffany with bright, worried eyes. “Ye dinna
ken o’ the Quin? An’ you the wean o’ Granny Aching, who had these hills in her bones? Ye dinna ken
the ways? She did not show ye the ways? Ye’re no’ a hag? How can this be? Ye slammered Jenny
Green-Teeth and stared the Heidless Horseman in the eyes he hasna got, and you dinna ken?”
Tiffany gave him a brittle smile and then whispered to the toad, “Who’s Ken? And what about
his dinner? And what’s a wean of Granny Aching?”
“As far as I can make out,” said the toad, “they’re amazed that you don’t know about the Queen
and…er, the magical ways, what with you being a child of Granny Aching and standing up to the
monsters. Ken means ‘know.’”
“And his dinner?”
“Forget about his dinner for now,” said the toad. “They thought Granny Aching told you her
magic. Hold me up to your ear, will you?” Tiffany did so, and the toad whispered, “Best not to
disappoint them, eh?”
She swallowed. “But she never told me about any magic—” she began. And stopped. It was
true. Granny Aching hadn’t told her about any magic. But she showed people magic every day.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote:
NZChris wrote:Mine is getting oxidized now, which I think has made a big improvement on how it tasted a year ago.
I had another taste of mine today. I should put down another, much larger, batch.
I think like everything apple it just needs time. I haven't even thought about this thread in years now. I should take some of the apple brandy in my barrel and make another batch as well.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

zapata wrote:Nice! I think the Tiffany Aching books might be my favorite from discworld, I thought it fitting Pratchett got to wrap that storyline up just months before his death.
Naturally I have made bottles of "Granny's Special Sheep Liniment" and a Nac Mac Feegle scotch with a special Rob Anybody commemorative bottle.
We actually bought a per-release version of The Wee Free men because we just couldn't wait for it to come out. :D
mercmar
Novice

Post by mercmar »

cranky,

so the recipe is apple juice, red star yeast, ferment, distill 2x, age a bit on oak and maple add some sweeteners, age some more. drink.

maybe I missed where you elaborate this.

I am on my 4th reread of the Discworld series. (lord and ladies right now)

Brgds
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

mercmar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:17 am cranky,

so the recipe is apple juice, red star yeast, ferment, distill 2x, age a bit on oak and maple add some sweeteners, age some more. drink.

maybe I missed where you elaborate this.
I probably didn't elaborate too much so I will now for clarity. I can't believe it's been 6 years since I made that post. What I wrote back then was
[
cranky wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:56 pm]
Double distilled apple brandy aged 3 months or so on oak and maple
Temper this with a bit of apple jack, apple wine, apple cider and apple juice until you are down to 80 Pr then allow to sit 6 more months. Sweeten slightly with honey and enjoy.
I'm going to break down and elaborate on the different ingredients of the recipe.

Brandy- You can make it with store bought juice but I make apple brandy using fresh pressed apple juice/sweet cider, add yeast, usually wine yeast, (1118, D-47, US-04 and a couple of others), anything that makes a good cider. 1118 is the easiest to make cuts. Aging is important and can take much longer that 3 months. I myself prefer just a hint of oak with apple brandy so I'm very careful how much I oak it. I'm also out of Japanese maple :esad: which is awesome to age with and I highly recommend it if you can find some. I also recommend using fruit wood.

Apple Jack- the term has sort of been taken over to mean distilled apple brandy but I use it old school to mean hard apple cider that has been freeze concentrated. This stuff has a powerful flavor but unlike in distilling when you concentrate it you concentrate the bad as well as the good. I use only a little bit of apple jack.

Apple wine- I make apple wine by freeze concentrating before fermenting, this is often called called iced apple wine. The results are much different than you get from jacking. It's best to make iced apple wine out of the lowest acid apples you can find. I like to make iced apple with Wyeast 4184 sweet mead yeast which has become very pricey but makes a really nice dresser wine because it can't handle more than 12% alcohol so it's easy to keep it sweet. Of course there are other ways to make apple wine and I'm sure they would work out fine.

Apple cider- In this usage I meant "hard cider" which is sweet cider that has been fermented. What I call apple juice in the post is actually un-fermented apple cider which I prefer to use the old term "sweet cider" but for some reason didn't at the time. Of course store bought juice can substitute for sweet cider.

I actually like to let it age out for a while, it gets better with time, most apple alcohol does.

The last step was sweeten to taste with Honey. I personally like what honey adds to the final mix.

Of course since Pratchett himself only gave hints of the recipe and we are not bound by any legal or social conventions we are free to make it however we want.
mercmar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:17 amI am on my 4th reread of the Discworld series. (lord and ladies right now)

Brgds
You bringing up this thread made me smile :D I have enough aged brandy on hand right now that I should put up another batch of Scumble.

Recently my wife and I finished watching the first, and hopefully only, season of the BBC show they call "The Watch". They make it look like it was Terry Pratchett's watch but in the small print it says "inspired by" then in bold letters "Sir Terry Pratchett". We were greatly disappointing. As Pratchett fans there were certain expectations and other than the names there was little resemblance to Pratchett's characters. His daughter was somewhat critical of it saying “Look, I think it’s fairly obvious that The Watch shares no DNA with my father’s Watch. This is neither criticism nor support. It is what it is.”

Niel Gaiman was very critical of it writing “The fan base are fans. And they like the source material because it’s the source material they like. So if you do something else, you risk alienating the fans on a monumental scale. It’s not Batman if he’s now a news reporter in a yellow trenchcoat with a pet bat.”

It wasn't necessarily bad but because they butchered everything that is Pratchett's Discworld and changed so much it was disappointing because the real characters were always overshadowing it in my mind.

I'm actually considering going through the entire series again. I actually haven't read Raising Steam or The Shepard's Crown. The last one I read was Snuff which I read a few years ago while my wife was in the coma. The morning I finished it was when she finally woke up :D
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Raising Steam made me cry. It felt like a farewell to all the great characters but didn't read that well as a book. The Shepard's Crown on the other hand is fantastic. I tend to pick the odd one up from time to time, and every few years I rattle through the whole collection... or nearly whole collection. I think there's a few that I'm missing.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I didn't use honey in my version and kept it to apple only. The freeze jacked apple juice added enough sweetness, but the added acidity spoiled it for a few years. I'm seldom in a hurry, so put it away for a while in a 2/3rds full glass vessel. I'm pleased that I did. See my earlier comments.
mercmar
Novice

Post by mercmar »

Cranky,

There are no coincidences! (re when your wife awoke). Amazon prime had a show called good omens that is supposedly connected to Terry Pratchett. I dont remember exactly how well it followed the book but it was pretty funny.

I usually wait for apple cider to go on sale and then I make a hard cider with champagne yeast. the next time it does that I will stock up and can get the hard cider/apple jack/apple brandy from the same big ferment. I typically like to add some coconut rum (like malibu) to my hard cider for an extra boost. Will update this thread when I get into the process (or maybe formulate my own scumble)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

mercmar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:32 am Cranky,

There are no coincidences! (re when your wife awoke). Amazon prime had a show called good omens that is supposedly connected to Terry Pratchett. I dont remember exactly how well it followed the book but it was pretty funny.

I usually wait for apple cider to go on sale and then I make a hard cider with champagne yeast. the next time it does that I will stock up and can get the hard cider/apple jack/apple brandy from the same big ferment. I typically like to add some coconut rum (like malibu) to my hard cider for an extra boost. Will update this thread when I get into the process (or maybe formulate my own scumble)
Around here Tree Top goes on sale in the late spring as they get ready for the new crop.

As I recall Good Omens actually followed the book pretty closely. The book was a collaboration between Pratchett and Gaiman. Gaiman is my sons favorite author, he is always trying to get me to read his books.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'd advise against using apple jack unless you actually want it to have a head banging effect in the morning to punish your guests. Jacking fermented juice doesn't remove heads components like distilling does, which is one reason why I jacked straight, unfermented, apple juice for proofing mine. There are still heads components in pure juice, but not as much as there is after fermenting it.

The other reason I used jacked juice was to concentrate the apple flavour and sugar, but jacking also raises the acidity, which would have been a problem if I was in a hurry to put something in the drinks cabinet.

I just had a sip of mine and it tastes far older than it's six years. It's very different to anything else I've made. Very nice.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:30 pm I'd advise against using apple jack unless you actually want it to have a head banging effect in the morning to punish your guests.
I only use a small amount of apple jack...but :think: Pratchett did say this about the hangover
Terry Pratchett wrote: You can't describe a scumble hangover. The best bit of it is a feeling that your teeth have dissolved and coated themselves on your tongue. This will pass and the accompanying headache will only last a few weeks. It is said that it is a fact that the best remedy for a scumble hangover is a hair of the dog, although it should more accurately be called a tooth of the shark or possibly a tread of the bulldozer.

Or something like that
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've spent today distilling apple brandy and freeze jacking juice for a new batch. I'm hoping it will be as good as the last one in six years time.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sampling the 2021 today and I'm very happy with the result.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 pm I've spent today distilling apple brandy and freeze jacking juice for a new batch. I'm hoping it will be as good as the last one in six years time.
Now that you mention it, I think I'll do the same with this latest batch of brandy I'm waiting to distill :D
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

NZChris wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:30 pm I'd advise against using apple jack unless you actually want it to have a head banging effect in the morning to punish your guests. Jacking fermented juice doesn't remove heads components like distilling does, which is one reason why I jacked straight, unfermented, apple juice for proofing mine. There are still heads components in pure juice, but not as much as there is after fermenting it.

The other reason I used jacked juice was to concentrate the apple flavour and sugar, but jacking also raises the acidity, which would have been a problem if I was in a hurry to put something in the drinks cabinet.

I just had a sip of mine and it tastes far older than it's six years. It's very different to anything else I've made. Very nice.

Because this thread has been reopened. Can I ask?
You say you jacked "unfermented apple juice " for proofing yours. If it's unfermented, how can there be heads in the final product? Am I missing an obvious clue here?Advise or something to read up on is greatly appreciated.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:19 pm If it's unfermented, how can there be heads in the final product? Am I missing an obvious clue here?Advise or something to read up on is greatly appreciated.🍻
I didn't say 'heads'. I said 'heads components', meaning VOCs that would be at high concentrations in jars that you decide are heads. The term 'heads' is often misused on forums, but let's not turn this thread into a discussion about the definition, look it up.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:19 pm You say you jacked "unfermented apple juice " for proofing yours. If it's unfermented, how can there be heads in the final product? Am I missing an obvious clue here?Advise or something to read up on is greatly appreciated.🍻
The potential for heads components comes when jacking fermented juice. Which is why he advises against it and jacks unfermented juice (also for the flavour). Reread the passage you quoted. :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Terry Pratchett wrote: You can't describe a scumble hangover. The best bit of it is a feeling that your teeth have dissolved and coated themselves on your tongue. This will pass and the accompanying headache will only last a few weeks. It is said that it is a fact that the best remedy for a scumble hangover is a hair of the dog, although it should more accurately be called a tooth of the shark or possibly a tread of the bulldozer.

Because my version is very tangy, I have thought about raising the pH of the juice before or after jacking, but the above quote makes me think that doing that in an attempt to improve on it would take my product further away from Pratchett's description. It might make a more pleasant drink, but that's not the aim in this case.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just found my 2015 version. Tangy, oxidized, yummy, not much left, should have made more of it.