If you could choose

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

That is some damn fine advice from Usge. Everything he said is spot on.

I recently read a report that a study of shootings by NYC Police revealed that the NYC Police missed 53% of the time at 6 feet, and hit only 7% of the time at 75 feet - in police shootings, not on the range. That 6 foot miss rate seems incredible and impossible when you stand 6 feet from someone and try to figure out how to miss, but the source is Thomas Sowell so I believe it to be accurate, and it shows what adrenaline does to you.

In an adrenalin situation you lose a lot of your fine motor control and a lot of your ability to think. Training is a partial solution to that, but the NYC cops are well trained, so you gotta wonder what the best answer is if it isn't training. All the stopping power in the world is useless if you don't hit the target.

This started out as a request for the best .45 acp, and that was how I answered. However if we move away from that narrow question then for close combat a short barrelled 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buck shot has to be the absolute top - it should give you a much better chance to out shoot the NYC cops. Each time you pull the trigger you send out 9 each .32 caliber round balls, if I remember correctly.

I peronally keep a an 870 in my bedroom loaded with alternating buck shot and slugs - it has a short slug barrel and a pistol grip stock. It also has an extended tube that holds 10 rounds. If I ever had to enter and clear a room or other short range area, that would be the first thing I would grab. My 1911 would be for backup. My rifle would be for medium and long range situations.

If I had to go into an urban combat situation I would prefer to be armed with grenades, shotgun, 1911, and the best selective fire 7.62 I could get, and I could figure out a way to carry them all. Oh, and as much ammo for each as I could carry - leave the rations at base camp.

If you went with a revolver, then a 45 Long Colt will give you even slightly better stopping power than a .45 acp. The only problem is reloading, reloading with pre-loaded clips takes a bit less fine motor skills than reloading with half moon clips or speed loaders. But for absolute 100% of the time reliablity, the revolver has to be given the nod over a semi-auto.

Edited to add this link: http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell121107.php3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Banjos and Whisky, Down On The River Bank
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

drop give me 20 then shoot . get your presure up. run a 1/2 mile then shoot.
leave the rings be try botle caps an string
so im tole

call spooky/puff
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

I couldn't agree more with the last several posts. I love shotguns and I would much rather carry one into combat than a pistol, but i don't know my future scenario. Definitely in a CQ situation (close quarters). I figured I would buy or issued a fairly accurate and high rate of fire small carbine/rifle and just looking for a backup handgun. I would prefer a semi auto, but also entertain the idea of a revolver after seeing a video of some highly trained individuals use them with grace and speed. I of course will practice as much as possible b/c there is no substitution for practice and repetition. You all have great advice and I hope i can use it all in not only the purchasing but the practice/use in my future occupation. Thank you again. If any more advice is available feel free to post, I love knowledge and opinions of others, no matter how strange! I can only hope my future employers give me my choice (and money) to purchase the firearm I'm comfortable with. Thanks everyone!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

well, assuming we are assuming what we are assuming is accurate about your destination and duty.

1) Shotguns are much more useful in the Jungle where visibility is limited and CQ combat has a different meaning. A carbine is more appropriate in the desert. Unlike VietNam you usually have a much better situational awareness of CQ situations in Iraq/Afghanistan right now.

2) As for handguns, start with a 9mm that you are comfortable with. Truth is that in most situations your goal is more likely to get the bad guy to duck rather that kill him. The 9 mm is more than adequate for that. There's also a lot to be said for having 14 to 16 rounds on hand rather than 8-10.

3) If the shit really hits the fan and you're hunkered down with friends you'll most likely find 9mm rounds more readily available than .45 or .40 (my favorite)
I make my own beer
and wine
Some hits the still
for 'shine
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Shotgun...is for close quarters and urban. It has less penetration than a rifle as well. If you need to reach out and touch somebody, or shoot behind walls, etc., etc., you need a rifle..or an assault rifle. Personally, in that regard...I'd carry an AK. I'm sure there will be plenty of those around too—whereever you are going.
19Kilo
Novice

Post by 19Kilo »

When I got out of the ARMY, my first McJob was with a private security firm. We had K-Frame .38s, model64 if I remember. Heavy, Heavy, Heavy! and the round would go thruough a person, and the one behind them if we ever had to use them...thank God, didn't have too.

We switched over to the Model4006 .40, the trigger pull took some getting used to... Felt like squezzing a ton after the K-frame. But out of the box, the grouping was great, and they said it had 2x the stopping power of the .38.

For the Home protection, I have a Taurus +P 9 milli.... tiny little monster, but I would not want it for a duty weapon... just a bedside keepsafe.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

My bedside gun is a model 29 S+W 4 inch barrel.Theres just nothing like a 44 magnum.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

wineo wrote:My bedside gun is a model 29 S+W 4 inch barrel.Theres just nothing like a 44 magnum.
mines a 6 shot detective sp colt revolver 38 cal hand loaded hollow point loaded hot. My Carrie is a 9 mm glock 26 and/or the smith & Wesson version of same with a baretta 22 auto for the pocket or boot.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have quite a few 38s.I also have 2 reloading presses and lots of dies and brass.I havent reloaded anything for a while but dont need to because I have lots of stuff already loaded.I do my rifle loads also,but dont have one for shotgun shells.Its one of my other hobbys.I have quite a few.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

It must be easy to knock off weapons in the States if you all keep them in the bedside drawer! :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

CoopsOz wrote:It must be easy to knock off weapons in the States if you all keep them in the bedside drawer! :D
But it's the getting to the bedside drawer with out getting shot that's the trick.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

I'm a big fan of the 1911A1 and of revolvers. I've never seen the big advantage of the double stack nines. They just add weight and bulk. The handgun is a defensive weapon and the 6 or 7 shots in the .45 or revolver should be plenty until you get to your rifle. The real advantage of a handgun is that you don't have to go fetch it....it can always be with you. If you are really expecting trouble, your rifle (or shotgun) should be close.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

1911A1
Old War Horse
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I'm with goose...call the spooky/puff. In that regard...all you need is a radio (and somebody on the other end to listen).

Best wire your shit up tite though if you calling it in close :)
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

spooky/puff
:?: :?: :?:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-air ... y-puff.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Thanks for that, Usge.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

Usge wrote:I'm with goose...call the spooky/puff. In that regard...all you need is a radio (and somebody on the other end to listen).

Best wire your shit up tite though if you calling it in close :)

Wow... bring up memories of the old, bold, smokey days when we were young.

"Don't call me an old fool...you don't get old bein' a fool, but there's a lot of smart ass young men who got deader than hell."
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The newer version is much more wicked but puffs a legend for sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Found this on the AA-12.

Figure i'd want this if i was in that type of job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

CoopsOz wrote:It must be easy to knock off weapons in the States if you all keep them in the bedside drawer! :D
Fascinating reading isn't it Coops. What would you go for if you could? I think I'm sold on the buckshot and 12 gauge :) :) :)

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Dunno Blanik....I just thank christ that we have the laws we do and I really don't have to think about it! (I know mods, this one is bordering....remove the post if you see fit.)
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

see the deal is that something like 51 million U.S. households are gun owners so busting into a house when people are there isn't always wise. and many folks have gun safes where guns are kept safe from kids. I do know people who sleep with a loaded gun within 2 feet of their bed though, including family members. Like they say if a gun isn't loaded it's about as good for self-defense as a rock.

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/4.2 ... Screen.pdf

Interesting reading no matter if you like guns or not.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Im one of those people!
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

With compliments from your local NRA rep! :D
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

After sight in

Post by Uncle Jesse »

my single shot falling block:

If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Re: If you could choose

Post by belialNZ »

OldManP wrote:one pistol to save your life, which one would it be?
Well, I know very little about pistols, but after watching lots of zombie movies... I would go for the one that holds the most bullets :-)

However, on a personal (And not really political note, as thats against the rules), I'd stay in a country where having zombies attack is the main reason you'd even think about owning a pistol to save your life.

Don't home owned guns get used significantly more often for suicides than self-defense globally anyhow?

Actually, really DO want an automatic (semi?) shotgun after seeing a video of them on the web, the possums would be F***ed then.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Nice grouping, UJ.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rad14701
retired

Re: If you could choose

Post by rad14701 »

belialNZ wrote:Don't home owned guns get used significantly more often for suicides than self-defense globally anyhow?
I'd be inclined ot believe that personal weapons are used for murder, suicide, accidentally shooting family members mistaken for intruders, and thwarting intrusion, in that order... And thwarting intrusion by use of a gun virtually never happens... But it's still nice to know that, at least here in the US, we have the right to bear arms... Most crimes aren't committed by legal gun owners anyway...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

When firearm ownership was made virtually illegal in Australia suicide by shooting dropped around 80%.

During the same period suicide by hanging increased by around 80%.

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.