Windows 10???

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pipes_a_plenty
Novice

Re: Windows 10???

Post by pipes_a_plenty »

Brutal wrote:For those concerned with security it's easy enough to fix. Here's a good article.
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-up ... o-opt-out/
Quote:
"As invasive as it is, Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy. Of course, users are opted in by default, which is more than a little disconcerting, but let’s focus on the solution."

I look for and disable things like this every time I can. I also install a hosts file to prevent spammy/spy-y bs from getting to me, and only use browsers I can equip with a good ad blocker....
It turns out it may not be as simple as it first appears and even disabling the tracking stuff in Windows 10 doesn't completely stop it from sending information to Microsoft:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/26/ ... windows-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Even the hosts file may not be a reliable solution as you're placing trust in the OS that it will honour the changes you've made. In the case of Win 10 it appears there are some hard coded sites that cannot be overridden with hosts file entries. Will that list of hard coded entries change with each update issued by Microsoft (who no longer provides proper descriptions of what Windows updates do)? The long and short of it I wouldn't trust Win 10 by itself to do the right thing and would want an external firewall, or better yet, just dump the entire mess altogether and run Linux.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I'd like to point out that the lack of cyber-privacy that many have correctly pointed out here is kind of "par for the course" in this day and age. If you have an iphone for example, you privacy is being compromised as much if not more than it would be on windows 10. Updates to w7-8-8.1 are apparently putting the same privacy compromising elements into them.

What I am trying to say is that if you are not worried about privacy on all fronts, then there is no reason to worry about it on just one- your PC's operating system. If the dam has 10 holes in it why go out of your way to only stick your thumb in just one?

Personally, after reading this and thinking about it for a while I think I will put my extra ssd back into duty with a Linux install. That way I can run Linux for the majority of what I do and still keep my w10 install and boot from that ssd when I want to play games or do things I'd rather do on Windows.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
pipes_a_plenty
Novice

Post by pipes_a_plenty »

Agree completely with other devices (iOS, Android, etc) being as bad or likely worse than Windows 10 and that focusing on just one device and ignoring the rest isnt going to gain you any security. Its tough to not potentially have everything you do, or where you go or what you say recorded, tracked and potentially used against you in some way. Smart televisions, X-box One, Siri, On-Star, etc. listening all the time to audio in their vicinity; apps on your smart phone that want access to every bit of information that the phone can provide whether it makes sense for the app to have it or not. I think the thing that bothers me personally about my computer's OS in particular being untrustworthy (more so than for example smartphones) is that is where I do most of my work, have all of my documents, all of my photos, my email, etc. Its just orders of magnitude more information than the other devices, and being compromised has a much bigger impact on me. I think the other thing is that for at least myself I considered iOS and Android compromised right out of the gate and I didn't trust them. With Windows I at least had some trust, now it is being quickly taken away, as you've pointed out even in older versions of Windows if you leave automatic updates on. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Im in the technology sector; used to eagerly await new hardware and software releases; these days I can hardly be bothered. Things havent turned out the way I had naively thought they would have when I was younger....
mannye
Bootlegger

Windows 10???

Post by mannye »

I'm no longer a computer nerd. I have no time. Beyond putting a gaming rig together which I do every 5 years or so, I don't care anymore.

That said, 10 runs smooth on my Asus PT6 based computer (getting to be upgrade time soon). It seems to use less resources than 7 did ( but with all the ram I have who can tell?) I like it a lot better than 8 and 8.1 which IMO was the 21st Century Vista.

I would do it but honestly, it's only because you're bored. If your computer is running well with 7, 10 isn't going to improve things a whole lot. But it's free and it's pretty, so why not?

Who are those guys outside coming out of the van???

HIDE THE STILL!!! HIDE IT!!!!!
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Windows 10 is Microsoft's effort to fully integrate into the cloud and Google like cross-everything integration.

BITTER is correct: "One thing to think about with windows is the lack of privacy. They record what you do and were and send it back to microsoft." There are deep scanning tools that report all installed apps back to Microsoft.

One tip from TWIT.TV: when you do the WIN10 upgrade, disconnect from the Internet during the installation. WIN10 will make entirely different DEFAULT connectivity choices as it believe the PC is not INternet connected. You get your local login, everything this way.
-Just need something else to build. -
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I haven't seen one iota of speed increase with Windows 10 but, rather, reduced performance... What folks fail to talk about is how Microsoft has implied that Windows 10 actually runs faster when, in fact, they have reduced the amount of applications that can actively be running at a given time based on memory... That becomes a problem for me right from the get go because I usually have a shitload of programs running...

Oh, how I hoped Microsoft would get it right this time... Unfortunately, I've pretty much lost faith in the Redmond crew and will be watching to see what new OS['s] emerge from the shadows as competition...

And, as far as the new GUI is concerned, what a dumbed down piece of crap...!!! Looks like an effort to gain a speed and compatibility increase by dumbing the GUI down...

I'm beyond disappointed... I have yet to have a conversation with anyone who has used Windows 10 and likes it...
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

rad14701 wrote:I have yet to have a conversation with anyone who has used Windows 10 and likes it...
Love it. I only paused at 8 on a throw away laptop bought right about the time when pretty much all big box were not providing win7 any more. I love win 7. I dispised Win8, but after finding 'Classic Shell' I was at least able to use Win8. However, I also love win10.

I have found it very fast, nice and streamline. I put in on a very beefy system, but a system that has never run stable, it would spuriously reboot, even not under load. That box might run 4 days or 4 hours and reboot. After W10, it did that a couple times over night, but I was not sure if the machine did it, or the auto update did it. I am pretty sure it was the update thingy. However, on day 3, I did have it reboot once. But that point on, it has never rebooted on me again. It does not spuriously reboot at night, because I turned off the auto-update.

The downside, I run systems under 100% full load (all 16 cores running 100% on that box), crunching data. So I can not have a machine that restarts every night. However, that was a pretty easy fix. Just had to figure it out. I still do update every week, but on MY schedule, and never without properly shutting down all working processes, so that they properly resume for me.. An OS this new will have all sorts of fixes going out and you certainly want to get them in.

Now some may miss having the media center stuff, but I have always found other alternatives easily available.

That auto update was the only thing I really have found that I don't like about it. I don't use that cortana thing, dont really care about it. But from what my 'personal' experiences have been on win10, I really like it. Yes, I have also heard numerous horror stories from people. Thing like their installs did not go right, etc, etc. I have done installs on 8 machines now, all different, laptops, desktops, and a couple of powerhouse development number crunching machines. Other than the instance I had with my daughters laptop where I tried to do a clean install (her HD fried), I have had nothing but good success. The clean install did piss me off a bit. Went all the way through, installed just fine, but the damn thing would NOT register. Had to install a MSDN 8.1 version on it, let that one active, then hit the update site to 'register' for win10 on THAT machine, and then wait a few hours for MS to say the upgrade was ready. Once I got that, then using the burnt DVD worked perfectly and the OS registered. But forcing someone to do things in this way certainly was silly, when the end result was EXACTLY the same. It is not like it really took much of my time. I spent a couple minutes getting a new DVD burnt from Win8, and started the installs going, but once going, you just walk away and check on it every once in a while.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

i was under the impression that win 10 was in beta testing
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

WooTeck wrote:i was under the impression that win 10 was in beta testing
Windows 10's official release took place on July 29th...
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

rad14701 wrote:I haven't seen one iota of speed increase with Windows 10 but, rather, reduced performance... What folks fail to talk about is how Microsoft has implied that Windows 10 actually runs faster when, in fact, they have reduced the amount of applications that can actively be running at a given time based on memory... That becomes a problem for me right from the get go because I usually have a shitload of programs running...

Oh, how I hoped Microsoft would get it right this time... Unfortunately, I've pretty much lost faith in the Redmond crew and will be watching to see what new OS['s] emerge from the shadows as competition...

And, as far as the new GUI is concerned, what a dumbed down piece of crap...!!! Looks like an effort to gain a speed and compatibility increase by dumbing the GUI down...

I'm beyond disappointed... I have yet to have a conversation with anyone who has used Windows 10 and likes it...
I like it just fine. It runs faster than 8.1 on my Dell tablet and it has enough Win 7 "feel" to make me not curse at it as much as I was cursing at 8.1. I do HATE the new browser because like everything else these days they seem to change just to change. I don't see the improvements over IE at all AT ALL. It's extremely annoying. But other than that I like it.

Sigh.... let's just say I don't hate it. I was fine with Windows 7. Perfectly fine. It ran just fine. My gaming rig ran fine. It runs a LITTLE better with 10 but not "better enough" to have to deal with the learning curve. But I like to be ahead of the curve and as I get older I find that dealing with the challenges a new OS brings is good for my aging brain. At 48 and as an "enthusiastic boozehound" I figure it's a good thing to do all I can to keep the cranium flexed.

The conspiracy guys are funny to me. You really think you can stop anyone from knowing what you do and when you do it online these days? Yes you can. Get offline. LOL
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

I've got it. Can't complain. Starts up faster than 7. Browser: not for me, still use Chrome. Agree with mannye regarding conspiracy guys. I chuckle too.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I use Windows 10 at work but won't put it at home.

The security issues are real, It a feature lol
-Depending on your sharing settings (The default home setting) shared you network and wifi info (Can be disabled with certain setting)
-If you have microsoft or applications on the microsoft certified list, If pirated a good chance it will stop running... I know of someone with a pirated word that stopped working and some games also.
-Microsoft is recording were you browse and reports back this is a new feature they are using for marketing etc yada yada...
-The new update system is such that once you download an update you are now sending and sharing it to other people. So if lots of people are upgrding after you, your bandwidth could go crazy with usage.
-If you are upgrading and have and use windows media center, when you upgrade to windows 10 it is removed.

There might be registry hacks to disable some these things but who knows if or ow long they will work..

I do find Windows 10 and Windows To Go 10 faster than 8.1 but is it a desktop os.

I'm still running windows 7 at home, just need to remove some the new kb's as MS is trying to push there spying on what your doing to windows 8.1 and windows 7 also....

B
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Two disturbing pieces of news on MICROSOFT and Win10, Win7, Win8. Steve GIbson reported on SECURITY NOW podcast on TWIT.TV the ARS TECHNICA story that MICROSOFT has ALREADY loaded the same privacy busting report home technology in to WIN7, and WIN8 updates since April 2015. We're already hosed.

Second, yesterday noted Microsoft blogger Paul Thurrott disclosed that MS is forcing a WIN10 download to PCs even if you haven't requested one:

"Yes, Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to PCs that haven’t chosen to accept the upgrade

I’ve spent a lot of time (easily) recently debunking all of the supposed Windows 10 privacy violations. But this latest accusation against Microsoft is … troubling. And real. Microsoft is downloading the 4-6 GB of files needed to upgrade to Windows 10 to PCs on which their users have not asked to upgrade. Why? Because everyone wants Windows 10, of course. Some people just don’t realize it yet. “For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade,” Microsoft told The Inquirer, confirming this incredible act. “When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.” That is unacceptable, completely unacceptable. And no one “chooses” to receive automatic updates. They’re coerced into doing so. By Microsoft. This needs to change. Now."

Lovely.

The best tip I've heard from several sources is if you do want to upgrade to WIN10, disconnect your INTERNET Connection before starting. WIN10 loads a completely different profile when it thinks the PC is not connected to the Internet.
-Just need something else to build. -
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

Meh. I always say if you don't want to be monitored stay off the internet. Windows, OS tiger or lion or whatever they call it, Ubuntu , whatever, once you're online, you're ONLINE and any expectation of privacy is out the windows. Lol. That's a pun.

Who still has a pots line? I sure do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442003041.343208.jpg
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Mine looks like this:
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

My pool of worry is only so big, and big data collection isn't allowed to swim in it anymore. Nobody is trying to steal my secret recipe for chocolate meringue pie. With all the heinous and horrifying things on internet that the government doesn't give two shits about, why would they start with me and my petty hobbies? Answer is: they wouldn't.

Actually, this doesn't bother me at all. Pandora knows what music to play me, Amazon knows what I want to buy before I buy it, Google knows what to advertise to me, and YouTube knows what I want to watch before I watch it... Come to think of it... Someone needs to teach my wife how to do this whole "big data collection" thing. :lolno:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

bearriver wrote: Come to think of it... Someone needs to teach my wife how to do this whole "big data collection" thing. :lolno:
Yup, can't see anything wrong with that plan.

"Baby, this'd here is ShineOn... he's here to tell you that I want my beer waiting on me before I get home, and you in bed waiting on me before I get done with it. You know, things you should already know, if you was paying attention to the data..."

...enter the frying pan that hits you before you knew it was going to...
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I upgraded tp Windows 10 ....It was a hell of a lot better than the 8.1 that came with my PC .

Unfortunately it ment my Printer would no longer work and I had to wait about 6 months until Fuji Zerox had a updated Driver that would work . Things have been ticking along very nicely .Then a few days ago , I turned on PC and it said it was updating windows .....so I let it do its thing . As it rebooted it told me to get excited for the new easier improvements .

All I ended up with was no internet connectivity , even though I was connected to our Home wireless network OK and the Printer Drivers had been removed .....to top it off I get some Dumb Cuntana asking me to ask her a question .....so I did , "Were's me Fricken internet gone ?"...she replies ," I can't connect" ....brilliant .

So I wound back to the previous version of windows10 that had been working fine.....my internet was back , My printer was back and most pleasingly Cuntana had gone away :clap:....I hate personification of Machines . :thumbdown: and If I want to give my machine a name , I'd prefer to choose it.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Maybe you should upgrade to windows 7 pro.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:Maybe you should upgrade to windows 7 pro.
Yep... Going from Windows 10 to Windows 7 definitely isn't a downgrade... :lolno:

But seriously, anyone with Windows 8.0 or 8.1 is better off with Windows 10 as long as they can upgrade for free... My advice to customers with Windows 7 is to stick with it and not upgrade to Windows 10 unless they can deal with the quirks and elimination of certain features we've all grown to rely on...

The IT industry still considers Windows 7 to be the best release by Microsoft Windows to date...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Im on 7 Pro and have no desire to get my 'free' upgrade to 10. But Microsoft is relentless. Anyone know how to disable all the bullshit popups and constant hasseling??
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Jimbo wrote:Im on 7 Pro and have no desire to get my 'free' upgrade to 10. But Microsoft is relentless. Anyone know how to disable all the bullshit popups and constant hasseling??
GWX Control Panel

With this you can do several tasks, including telling Windows 7 to never offer OS upgrades... I use it almost daily on customer computers...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Excellent, works perfect. Thanks Rad.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

There's something nefarious about the Win10 update crap from Microsoft. Within 1 minute of disabling it with GWX, I got a notification about 5 important security updates for Win7. Coincidence? I think not.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Jimbo wrote:There's something nefarious about the Win10 update crap from Microsoft. Within 1 minute of disabling it with GWX, I got a notification about 5 important security updates for Win7. Coincidence? I think not.
Those updates were being withheld due to the Windows 10 upgrade... Did your system have Windows 10 already downloaded...??? Once downloaded some of your updates get withheld in hopes that you'll upgrade... Some of Microsofts tactics are borderline illegal - aside from the fact that you are only granted license to use they're software and they can change it or render it unusable at their desire without prior notification...
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Just an FYI on updates to get Windows 10.

The disabling/hiding of the updates step will work except that MS somehow is "unhiding" the update every "Super Tuesday" that kicks it all off. You have to now monitor what you install. Disable automatically install updates, select the choice to download, but let me choose what to install.
The 3 updates you do not want are:
KB3035583, KB2952664, KB3021917
The KB3035583 is the one that keeps coming back and trips you up.

Edit: It is also worth noting the Dell sometime later in the year will no longer sell machines that will run Windows 7 or 8. Only Windows 10 will work on the hardware meaning no downgrade either. I fully expect there will be push back from industry on that but it is the current plan.
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm so pissed off at Microsoft right now. My wife's computer decided it was going to upgrade to windows 10 even though she didn't sign up for it and 10 minutes before it upgraded she told it not to. Then it did it anyway :evil: I'm thinking it might be time to go to linux.

I looked it up and they say if this happens and you refuse to accept the licensing agreement it will default back to the previous version of windows but she was afraid it would just kill her operating system all together so she accepted it and we are now in the process of undoing the install.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The reminder box came up on mine without an X to click on to get rid of it. Had to use ctl alt delete to get rid of it.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Guys, check out the GWX Control Panel Rad referenced below. Works perfect.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I just woke up this morning to Windows 10. MOTHER F***** I had windows 7 pro and I'm furious. I didn't tell it to, it just did it.
I do weekly image backups on a separate hard drive, so I may just revert, I'm not sure what to do now that it's done.(Just give in?)
The first thing I did was opt out of everything, and there was alot of it. I can't believe the way they're shoving this down our throats!