In my shed

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

In my shed

Post by googe »

Wondered why there's no shed thread, seems wrong :econfused: . So, in my shed today, I made some nuetral, put down a rum, fixed my axe.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: In my shed

Post by firewater69 »

in my shed I'm drying some corn malt, and waiting on a ferment to finish. maybe I'll start some more rum today, I have all the fixins and an empty fermenter.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'm malting some grain sorghum, fermenting a corn/wheat/oats all grain and cleaning out a spot to put a small metal lathe.
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

In my shed yesterday.
I was doing a bit of multitasking.
Canned a pressure cooker full of green beans. (7 quarts)
Smoked a pork butt in front of the shed
Also did a run of UJSSM after the beans came off the burner.
Attachments
DSCN4904.JPG
DSCN6107.JPG
DSCN6104.JPG
Last edited by Appalachia-Shiner on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I practice the hobby in my basement which has no running water or drains. It's a fairly spartan place to work, but it works well enough. Wish I had a dedicated shed with all the accouterments for the hobby.

I think my biggest problem is dealing with boredom during a run. When doing stripping runs, I watch Netflix or browse this site, but when doing a spirit run, I need to focus on the run or risk having jars overflow. Spirit runs are easy, but boring. That's life in the basement (distilling room).
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Stuck at work today! But tomorrow! Tomorrow!! My best friend (some of you met him at S3) and I are going to do a drastic cleaning and reorganization on my garage! Brutal is VERY excited!! That means I can get back to stillin' as well as a zillion other projects! It's gotten so clogged up out there I can't get anything done. Still got the gumballhead wash ready to run from May! First order of business is going to be runnin' that. Second order of business gonna be finishing the new condenser I thought up (and to make a thread.) Third order of business is finishing my new steam powered mash tun/fermenter/stripping thumper. Then I'm gonna build a nice sized immersion chiller.. Gonna put together a standing cabinet/closet thing to store all my stillin' supplies in..

To say I'm excited about it is a huge understatement.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Brutal, that's inspirational. My basement has little pathways through the clutter. Maybe it's time to take some action to fix it.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

sCackalacky...we can get water and a drain in your basement. easy easy

If interested, I will go into detail.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

In my shed (basement) Working on a MashRookie inspired flute. Details will be forthcoming. Have a busy weekend so probably won't get much done.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

frodo wrote:sCackalacky...we can get water and a drain in your basement. easy easy

If interested, I will go into detail.
Frodo, you're a plumber by trade, right? I might take you up on your offer in terms of advice when I actually tackle the project. I have a tub type sink I picked up at a yard sale for $3.00. I was planning to install it somewhere around where the washing machine is located and tie it into the water service and drain already there for the washing machine. Was planning to just use "Y" connections on the water valves and run washer hoses to the sink faucet and then use PVC to tie into the drain. The biggest issue I may need some advice on is doing the drain.

Anyway, when I have some of the pieces/parts together, I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks for the offer.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

120vac40a_rev.jpg

no problem, will be happy to help

check out drawing,,to se what you might want to get
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Got halfway done painting the inside of my stilling area with KILZ pva primer. Leaky skylights did some damage over the last year, including the onset of black mold. Those who have visited me know what I'm talking about...

Luckily we picked up extra material off a job for the repairs and paint. Gonna finish rolling out the primer today and then get started on some plum vodka. :thumbup:
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Just got back from the feed store with 50# bags of cracked corn, rolled oats, and rolled barley. Got out to the shed and got all excited about making some more COB. The my 2 year old boy asks me if I'll come inside and play with him. So here I am rolling around on the floor playing tickle monster, and in a bit he will curl up on my chest and take a nap. COB is gonna have to wait. Sorry if that's too sappy but the older I get the more my priorities seem to shift.
Lazarus Long
Swill Maker

Post by Lazarus Long »

I am just getting around to cleaning my shed out. Wish me luck. Believe it or not I actually hauled away a commercial dumpster from this shed AND had a yard sale already...
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0913 (Small).jpg
Storage is my biggest problem. I am going to build 12' tall 2x4 shelving 2' deep along the walls and use a rolling staircase with handrails so i don't fall and crack my skull on the floor while pulling down Christmas ornaments. Been reading on Garagejournal.com to get some ideas to cover all the work stations I will need :D ...distilling, welding, woodworking, mechanic, home gym, new airline around the shop, ventilation fans in the back wall (this building gets hot in the summer!)

Had intentions on getting this done before football season but life gets in the way sometimes.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Laz, haven't seen you around in a long while. Nice looking building you got there. That would be my dream shed.

Before deciding to buy the house we're in, we looked at a house with a separate multi car garage that was decked out with everything a man could ask for. It had its own bathroom, washer/dryer hook ups, air lines with quick connects all the way around the perimeter and lots of electrical outlets with a separate breaker box. It was evident that it was custom built for a car guy. Distilling wasn't even on my radar at the time. It was a far cry from what I ended up with. Hell, I could have lived in that garage.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

look for some used warehouse metal racking for that shed. you can buy it for less than the cost of wood and it clips together in seconds...pretty much indestructible. get as tall as you want. with a shed that tall, you gotta think cubes not sqaures.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I practice the hobby in my basement which has no running water or drains. It's a fairly spartan place to work, but it works well enough. Wish I had a dedicated shed with all the accouterments for the hobby.
I was thinking the same thing while working my basement the other day, when I looked up and stared at all of the hot/cold water pipes running everywhere.

Now I'm digging around craigslist for a work sink.

While I do have a shed, you couldn't pay me to be out there for hours in Dec/Jan/Feb or most of March.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

raketemensch wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:I practice the hobby in my basement which has no running water or drains. It's a fairly spartan place to work, but it works well enough. Wish I had a dedicated shed with all the accouterments for the hobby.
I was thinking the same thing while working my basement the other day, when I looked up and stared at all of the hot/cold water pipes running everywhere.

Now I'm digging around craigslist for a work sink.

While I do have a shed, you couldn't pay me to be out there for hours in Dec/Jan/Feb or most of March.

what? cold? Dec,Jan, Feb, sweater weather.

BUT june, july, August HOT HOT HOT I have AC in my shed LOL

da shed
art 001.JPG
we work on anything
art 003.JPG
VAHillbilly
Novice

Post by VAHillbilly »

I've run 2 10gal batches of corn, and running a sugar now. Labor of love on Labor day weekend
googe
retired

Post by googe »

You'd get lost in there laz! Lol.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Look at what you started Googe hehehe :D
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Got 25 gallons of booner inspired 4 grain sourmash to strip, 12 gallons of 80% backset sugar head to strip, and 5 gallons of uj to run a second time that will be made into clear apple pie.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MashMaker
Swill Maker

Post by MashMaker »

In my shed today I have 32gal of sweet feed fermenting in the basement, I have Dads old tractor in the shop waiting patiently for me to finish putting it back together after a complete overhaul and I'm setting on the porch with Daisy the stilling dog stripping a 12 gal batch of sweet feed.
Can life get any better?
I think not!!!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

My wife's doin' her laundry.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

S-Cackalacky wrote:My wife's doin' her laundry.
Reminds me a few years ago someone posted 2 videos of a Norwegian person using his washing machine as a still. Really funny but obviously not something anyone would promote.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Got the garage straightened up quite a bit yesterday. Feeling sore and old today.. I am very happy with it. There is room to work now, and I can get to things. My buddy expected it to be more but not me. Three truck loads full of stuff gone. One 900 lb one to the recycler (didn't fund any copper, did see some interesting finned pipe..) And two to the dump. Assembled a likker cabinet, and picking up a small metal workbench on castors today. Still needs some work but now that there is room I can do that as I go. This really is the weekend I needed to get back on track.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I think my biggest problem is dealing with boredom during a run. When doing stripping runs, I watch Netflix or browse this site, but when doing a spirit run, I need to focus on the run or risk having jars overflow. Spirit runs are easy, but boring. That's life in the basement (distilling room).
make ya a counter balance scale to give alarm on spirit runs.Could be something as simple as making a marble drop into a pan
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Today I will be headed over to a friends house to recover my electric 15.5 keg that was headed to the junk yard because the bottom had corroded to the point of leaking through a series of pinholes. Strange in that doing a visual inspection through the top with a flashlight reveals no defects.

I'm going to try to fix the problem and turn it into a BOP.Failing that I'll be installing a drain on my el cheapo 60 quart unit from flea bay.

Actually it's kinda nice for 50 bucks and came with a lid.

FMH
Blah, blah, blah,........
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:Today I will be headed over to a friends house to recover my electric 15.5 keg that was headed to the junk yard because the bottom had corroded to the point of leaking through a series of pinholes. Strange in that doing a visual inspection through the top with a flashlight reveals no defects.

I'm going to try to fix the problem and turn it into a BOP.Failing that I'll be installing a drain on my el cheapo 60 quart unit from flea bay.

Actually it's kinda nice for 50 bucks and came with a lid.

FMH
Sounds like a perfect canidate for a steamer rig. Flip upside down use 2" for drain and cut the top out
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

What, and miss out on the joys of an hour or two of sanding and soldering ???

Great idea.

Sending you a PM re: yesterdays communication.
Blah, blah, blah,........