Hats Off To The Old Guard!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Re: Hats Off To The Old Guard!

Post by Tater »

All that have came before and after me on hd .Im still learning :D Its the new members with ideas that have made it easy for me to keep on keeping on this site.Might even back off on I just run a pot still one these days and try a flute.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Dnderhead had a knack for saying more in three words than anyone has ever said on here in any number of words, I miss that.
That's why there is a book of Dnderhead http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=34453
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Tater wrote:All that have came before and after me on hd .Im still learning :D Its the new members with ideas that have made it easy for me to keep on keeping on this site.Might even back off on I just run a pot still one these days and try a flute.
Yes Tater, got me one o' them thangs too.....just learned how to play this: "Tip Toe thru the Tulips" :wtf:
Untitled.jpg
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Jimbo was the one that helped me out and took me under his wing and gave me fine tutelage . I put the poor man through all kinds of stupid questions and never an ill response. Thanks for all your help Jimbo. Words could never express my gratitude.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

cranky wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Dnderhead had a knack for saying more in three words than anyone has ever said on here in any number of words, I miss that.
That's why there is a book of Dnderhead http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=34453
I didn't know that thread existed. WOW! That is history! Thanks Cranky for posting that. Love that man.
I Lice you too.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

when i first started thing about this, i typed a bunch of names but then thought it started to sycophantic.
then i read about S-C, who has been noticibly absent. i read his last post...it was a response to mine. damn. did i offend? pretty ego-centric on my part, obviously i'm not that important.

maybe it's just a case of not giving credit where due.
S-C, you are old school and valued to this poster.
Shadylane, corene, rockchucker, bushman, bearriver (how do you get old school at your age??), odin, larry, tater, bellybuster.... all influencers.

dan, boisblanc, randym, MCH, frozen, googe (of course), corene1 and the legendary T-Pee. Cranky and Bigbob... Euphoria make up the rest or my PNW guys...PF and thatguy1313 down south.
wayyyy south i think of NZC, tokarora and inglis often. googe defecting to NZ gets mentioned twice, and kiwibruce has some great posts.
always enjoy the european contingent, wooteck, swedish and derwo...paulinka is a wealth of traditional info i have benefited hugely from his few posts.

speaking of few posts... 3d0g...everytime i read him (you) i think damn, this guy is eveywhere and knows everything. and then i see the post count of 100 and a few...and it bends my brain :wtf: how can so few posts have such a big influence.

i guess it's quality for these guys (as opposed to quantity from yours truly-how many guys do you know that can say so little with so many words :ebiggrin: )

thanks for the typing practice. :wave:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

So many names from before I came here, Wish I could have gotten to know them first hand. Now there are so many names that have helped me along this path. I would say Jimbo has always been there to help me out of a pinch, but he was quite direct in the beginning . No slack because I was a woman. Truckinbutch always has my back even though he doesn't come around as often. Hanging out at the liars bench was a real eye opener. with Ga flatwoods and the rest of the group. So many more. Rockchucker, HDNB, Cornhusker , windy city, Bushman , Tater, Goose eye , TPEE, The Crow eaterHalfbaked, mitchy bourbon. heartcut, RAD, NC Hooch LWTCS. Hard to remember them all. One person stands out as he was the first to mention to me to use fresh wash to cut my low wines with. He went by Uncle Jemima. This is a GREAT group, Past , present, and future. Thanks to all.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

When the ole boys first come here you could post as guest.
after bout 2 years after that you had to register.
4 way ain't been said deputy dog an so on an so forth.
Time marches on.
Likker either in your blood or it aint , don't matter how long
You sit in front of a dick spout.
Wish y'all could of met some of the old real likker makers . Them
that this place is against. You thought of moonshine wouldn't
be the same. Shoutin in the wind. I know.

So I'm tole
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

goose eye wrote: Shoutin in the wind. I know.
No, sir.
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

Circlejerk= let me find a nut to suck on....

There are already threads like this but the gumption here is to jerk off the next....

This thread is devoted to kissing ass.... Where is the troll thread splooge err googe?

Thanks have been given here from ALL parties. ...many times...

Want to suck a nut? Donate to the site OP as the thread falls on deaf ears.

I might be the only one that "gets it" but that's OK.

I've given thanks several times but I'm not a Brown-nose sorry...
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

we can hear you gooseeye.

i was lucky enough to be schooled by the old boys a little bit, enough to respect their words and yours.

wish i would have got to practice with them as much as the theory that was spent. They wrote the music and let me listen...but i never got to play then. my fault.

i'm making up for that lost time, wish they were here to share with me now.

i remember their faces.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Copper Thumper wrote:Circlejerk= let me find a nut to suck on....

There are already threads like this but the gumption here is to jerk off the next....

This thread is devoted to kissing ass.... Where is the troll thread splooge err googe?

So, we can assume then, that this thread really gets ya off!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

No you just like making troll like posts :roll:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

I could care less if my post gets a response, sorry If i don't stroke your ego...or others.

Thanks for the "board warning"..... I see how this forum works . :lolno:
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

As my momma used to say, "Ya ain't got nothin nice to say, don't sa .... DON'T you interrupt me, boy! I swear I didn't raise you that stupid! Ya know what? Go get me a switch, and don't you come back wit no little ol' twig now, neitha"

I don't think I've seen Rubber Duck mentioned. Jimbo, prairiepiss, shadylane, s-cack, tater, lwtcs, rockchucker, and tpee (auto correct really hates this post) were very helpful in my early days and I have huge respect for guys like cranky, HDNB, bearriver and woodshed who I didn't see as much when I was starting out but who've taught me a LOT anyway. I've always said this forum is the best group of guys (and girls) on the net. Here's a toast to all of you and especially to uncle Jesse who keeps this thing goin!
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

To list all that have influenced me would make for a long list. I think Kiwistillers long standing threads on cuts and fractions and aging are probably amongst the most important threads on the site to all guys starting out, its a pity the description is limited to pot stills as the same rule applies to all but continuous and other multiple take off point stills. Dnderhead went out of his way to assist me from go whoa with some recipes to which I am very grateful. Plenty of others have helped me as well to many to mention. Mashrookie and I had lots of discussions on here and via pms and I considered him a good friend and a very smart cookie. Tater, Shady, SBB and Goose eye are sages in their own right (as is dnder and Hook). TB, GA , and many many other newer blokes are the guys that keep this place alive, there is so much talent here
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Tater wrote:

No you just like making troll like posts :roll:
No one is brown nosing here. Just showing appreciation.
This type of thread comes up about once a year. I think it is cool. With new members on a daily basis what is wrong with expressing gratitude to those who have helped lead in the right direction?
I learn on this site every time I login. Everyone here gives their knowledge and time because they care enough about this community.

Ego has nothing to do with it.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I see it differently.
It's more of a circle pat on the back. Once we get done back slapping.
We will get back to helping each other make better alcohol.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

It never ceases to amaze me how some can threadcrap, be proud of it and even reflect that in their signature.
Jeez. Even I know when to STFU...usually. :silent:

Good appreciation thread.

tp (don't you haveta die to be "legendary"?? :wtf: )
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My hats off to PUGIDOGS.
I don't know if he was the first to post the idea.
But his "yeast bomb" is a great way to ferment a sugar wash.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

thatguy1313 wrote:As my momma used to say, "Ya ain't got nothin nice to say, don't sa .... DON'T you interrupt me, boy! I swear I didn't raise you that stupid! Ya know what? Go get me a switch, and don't you come back wit no little ol' twig now, neitha"!
That one just had to go to notable and quotable :lol: :lol: :lol:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Thanks to each and every one of you except copper thumper who is looking for a nut to suck... I don't swing that way,but hey,To each their own.
You can build bridges your whole life but that doesn't make you a bridge builder, but if you admit in writing on a public forum to looking for a nut to suck you shall be known a...well...
Is San Francisco missing their village idiot?

Thanks to cranky for the spoon feeding and help on my persimmon brandy,jimbo for yeast info,kiwi for his guide to cuts, TB for his gen 5, mch for shipping it,Swedish pride for the apple wood, Uncle Jessie, fmh for being a good guy,and many more.
Bigbob for the welcome And Everyone else except for copper thumper.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Here's some nuts to suck on :lol:
Nuts - C.JPG
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

You are too kind Cranky! Here is a better one with big fat hairy nuts:
haters-gonna-hate-monkey-big-balls.jpeg
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If those nuts were fermentable
Janitor47 would make shine out of them
Attachments
Nuts%20-%20C.JPG
Nuts%20-%20C.JPG (25.1 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Far too many members to list... We have such a diverse membership here that it's tough to narrow down to just a few, or a few dozen... Even the random poster can drop a gold nugget of information for the gleaning at one point or another... If you don't learn something new here every day you just aren't paying close enough attention...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

GrassHopper wrote:There are many for sure from the old guard. Some of you are still here. There are new ones here as well who have contributed much to the cause.
Who were those from the past that are no longer with us? Where are they now? Have they passed? I bet there were some real battles.
This list is by no means representative of all the old guard. It only takes into account those those who joined 2010 and before and were most active on the forums to help shake your memories.
I bet some of you remember some of them, and have even met them. Tell us about them. Who was Dunderhead? He had over 13,000 posts. Did any of you know him?
Keep it nice.....if you can! We can have different thread on those who pissed ya off. :thumbup:

Tater 2004
theholymackerel 2004
Uncle Jesse 2004
Grayson_Stewart 2004

Blanikdog 2005
The Chemist 2005
stoker 2005
possum 2005

pintoshine 2006
Junkyarddawg 2006
Husker 2006
CoopsOz 2006
goose eye 2006

rad14701 2007
Dnderhead 2007
HookLine 2007
Usge 2007
shadylane 2007
punkin 2007
new_moonshiner 2007
tracker0945 2007
wineo 2007

blind drunk 2008
Hack 2008
Hawke 2008
myles 2008
Ayay 2008
trthskr4 2008
Barney Fife 2008
goinbroke2 2008

LWTCS 2009
kiwistiller 2009
MuleKicker 2009
rubber duck 2009
olddog 2009
Samohon 2009
WalkingWolf 2009
Mr.Spooky 2009
Coyote 2009
ScottishBoy 2009
cob 2009
maheel 2009
Bagasso 2009

Bushman 2010
Odin 2010
rockchucker22 2010
Kentucky shinner 2010
mash rookie 2010
rtalbigr 2010
Braz 2010
NcHooch 2010
Bayou-Ruler 2010
King Of Hearts 2010
emptyglass 2010
rednose 2010
Mud Mechanik 2010
Dan P. 2010
Hey I made a list!! :thumbup: I don't see Fester who was a lot of fun and the cause of many "laughing so hard I woke up the wife and got in shit" times. Fester (Lloyd) moved to China and opened Stilldragon and now has his own site/forum. So many guys mentioned on here helped me as well and I do appreciate it. Had my first still when I was 14 and thinking back now, it must of been crap but we drank it mixed. Due to this site and the members on here I make a damn fine drink according to many.
So, to all mentioned above and some other who came later, THANK YOU! If I ever get more than a minute to spare at a time I'll be back on a more consistent basis.

Cheers!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Good to see ya back for the winter going broke! :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I couldn't reply to this since I fear that I may leave out some of the many great names. There are so many I have read posts by, some still here, others not. All the contributions they made have made my stilling better in some form. As well as the "Old Guard", I have made many new friends and shared wisdom with through posts or pm's, including HDNB, corene, bearriver, truckinbutch, randymarsh, jedneck, bushman, cranky, and that list just goes on. So rather than thank a few, thanks to the entire forum, to each and every one who has posted, and those future posts that further advance our hobby. Thumbs up to you all! :thumbup:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Bigbob wrote:Good to see ya back for the winter going broke! :wave:
Why thanks Bigbob, I'm posting when I can! :thumbup:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!