Chainsaw Related Talk

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Chainsaw Related Talk

Post by jedneck »

Left is my 440mag and right is 056super.
Just did fuel line and filter and air filter on the 440 a few months ago. $50+ but worth it.

For the 056
I have a few spare cylinder n pistons along with a carb. Might do a little porting and shaving to bump the compression a tad and set it up for alky.
Attachments
14602425694670.jpg
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

It lives. The screen in the carb inlet was plugged. Still gotta finish getting it tuned better. But damn this saw is fun. Buried a 25" bar with a skiptooth chain in a knarly chunk o red oak and had to really lean on it to bog it down once the buckin spikes where set both cross cut and ripp. Makes a hell o pile of noodles quick.
big help
Dunder
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

All this talk about saws got me fired up. Went and cut some white oak today for the smoker and some for making aging sticks.
wood2.JPG
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

Here's a thread dedicated to those Dolmars on the ope forum. Don't know if you can see the pics without membership, but there is a bunch of nice saws here.....

http://opeforum.com/threads/the-officia ... hread.694/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

How many here are picky about the fuel they add to their 2 cycle equipment?
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

I guess I'm not real particular, I run 40:1 in everything I have, except my weedeater and polesaw they are 4-stroke and they like 50:1 better. Just regular 87 octane gas from any station, sometimes I have to adjust my carbs to compensate for the different qualities of piss poor gas I get from one station or another. I don't have an ethanol free gas station around me or I would use that.
I also only use synthetic 2 stroke oil, yamalube from the Yamaha dealer. I find that using this crappy gas, I have to replace fuel lines and rebuild my carbs every 3 or 4 years. :thumbdown:
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I run a variety of 2 cycle oils and have never noticed any difference... Over the years I've even mixed with plain motor oil without adverse effects... These days I also add Sta-Bil to my 2 cycle gas if it contains ethanol to help reduce problems with seals... I can get ethanol-free gas but never have a can with me when I pass one of the few stations that have it...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The reason I ask is my neighbor a retired mechanic fixes a lot of lawn mowers, and small engine equipment. He has gone ethanol free on all the gas that goes into his small engines.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I run cheap pump gas and stihl oil at 40:1 in the workin motors.
big help
Dunder
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I go out to the race track and get their basic unleaded premium no alcohol in it and also run the Stihl synthetic oil with fuel stabilizers in it. My friend at the saw shop recommends non alcohol fuels of 92 octane for best engine life. I have known him for 30 years and trust his judgment. Besides with the amount of fuel a saw uses I consider it cheap insurance.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Bushman wrote:The reason I ask is my neighbor a retired mechanic fixes a lot of lawn mowers, and small engine equipment. He has gone ethanol free on all the gas that goes into his small engines.
Whether straight gasoline or 2 cycle mix, if it has ethanol in it you should add an additive like Sta-Bil to protect the synthetic components... I have a mower to look at for the SOH's father that I can almost guarantee has a bad carburetor diaphragm due to ethanol deterioration... All small engines are susceptible, especially older (vintage) ones...
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

SawShot012b.jpg
SawShot014b.jpg
I came across this “Holzfforma” chainsaw this morning while looking up Oregon chains that would fit my Stihl. At first glance it looked like a tool that was designed by someone who knew what they were doing. The add says that it is 100% parts compatible with a Sthil MS 600 or 066, which is a BIG saw. It took some looking on the Internet to figure out where the saw is manufactured (China) but I could find no direct information. The brand also makes a 1:1 knockoff copy of a Husqvarna 365 which is small enough to be whipped around by an old fart like me.

On one hand I don't like what the Chinese are doing. They have zero respect for intellectual property, copyright or patents. Also Chinese power tools are often a hit or miss proposition. You might purchase a piece of junk one minute and score a moderately decent tool the next time. Two or three videos reviewing the blue saw though, were encouraging.

These Chinese knockoffs are probably nowhere near as good as the “Real McCoys” (Husqvarna or Stihl). The situation is reminiscent of buying Walmart work boots. You might be able to purchase 4 or 5 pairs of Walmart work boots for the same price as one pair of authentic American made Redwing boots. Which option will protect your feet for the longest time, which option is best? At $296 each you could buy 5 of these blue Chinese saws for the price of a new, authentic Stihl MS 600.

Finally my explorations found a rebuild kit for my saw (a Stihl MS440) which is 11 years old now. While interested I probably won't buy the kit for 2 reasons. First I'm not much of a mechanic. I'd rather pay a professional to do the job right. Second; I don't want to give anyone the false impression that I an a Denver Broncos fan – with all that blue, orange and white on my saw.
SawShot015.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

This thing is my baby, its a McCullough ProMac 570
Its got a manual oil pump button on the back the pump needs to be replaced
Im told its got the original bar on it.
Its powerful and sounds like a Harley its got a few things wrong with it but it works
Its real heavy i wouldnt go up a tree with it but its plenty powerful for bucking and fellin trees, gota watch out that it doesn't snap back the chainbreak is steel and comes for your knuckles with vengeance
I also have a sthil 08s thing doesn't even have a chain break or oil pump so it sits i the shead till I can afford to get her going
Attachments
The bar has a grease hole at the end cog
The bar has a grease hole at the end cog
Chainsaw1.jpeg (15.19 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
2018-11-21 22.53.22.png
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

I run a jonsered 2165.
Got an old 61 husky i picked out if the Garbage and rebuilt.
Just a 2nd saw
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed