What's Your Pet Peeve?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DoubleJ
Bootlegger

What's Your Pet Peeve?

Post by DoubleJ »

We all have our pet peeves, you know, those things that just piss us off to no end. It could be big, it could be small, it could be outrageous or just anal. Let's air 'em out...

I'll start this one - the cell phone. To me, the cell phone is the scourge of the 21st century

I am 46 years old now. I got my first phone when I was 34 when my wife (at the time) was 7 months pregnant with my first daughter. She actually got it for me. She insisted I have one in case she needed to call me in an emergency. It seemed like a sensible idea at the time, so I agreed. In those first few years, it was okay. I didn't get many calls and texting was a task on the best of days. As the technology developed (I don't want to say "improved" because that's a subjective argument all by itself), so did my disdain for them. And today, I just can't stand the things.

It's not that I'm uncomfortable using them or slow to figure them out. I'm adept enough at using them. My beef is what they've done to people.

I'll give a few examples, as I think of more, I'll add them to the thread, should it progress.

Example 1. - Do you own your phone? Or does your phone own you?

I am self employed contractor, and as such, do a lot of shopping at the DIY centers - Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc... It's pretty much a daily routine for me. And like everyone else I line up at the cashier to purchase my goods. And how often is that person in front of me, or second in front of me, at the cashier doing their business, and his/her cell phone rings (usually with some ridiculous ring tone) and they just have to take the call right then and there...? Really dude? You had to take that call? So now I have to wait for you to finish your call, so you can complete your transaction. Thanks, man. I see you're getting paid by the hour, because I'm certainly not...

Example 2 - Texting

I understand the premise and the potential convenience of texting. It does in a way keep a conversation focused, but I think a lot of people now think it is a primary form of communication. Nope. To me texting is informal, and subsequently, needs to be regarded that way. You may very well send me a text, but that doesn't mean I'm obligated to stop my life for you and respond. If it really was that important, why are you texting me? Call.... Just saying....

Example 3 - Voice Mail

Calls will inevitably get missed. Sometimes the reasons are deliberate, sometimes they are not. It doesn't really matter. All phones now have call logs on them, and usually caller ID. I see everyone who calls my phone - sometimes as they call, sometimes after they call. Either way, I usually make every effort to call back when I can. I don't have voice mail on my phone - I have never activated it. As far as I'm concerned, my phone is for my convenience, not everyone else's. I am not interested in listening to long winded messages, nor do I have the time. And why - because more often than not, when I call you back, I'm going to have to listen to the same message again. Thanks, but no thanks.

Example 4 - Dinner Table Insensitivity

How often are you at the table - eating, socializing, conversing - and the cell phone is merely inches away from its slave? And that inevitable text or call comes.... You know what happens next. I don't need to explain this one. To me, it's just insulting. It's insulting to every other person at the table. And the reason? The message being sent to every other person at that table is that they are not important and don't matter. That phone and whatever message is on it, at that moment in time, is more important than every other person around you, who have given up their time to be with you.

This one was a biggy with my current wife. She was extremely guilty of this behaviour. A little under a year ago, we were in India on vacation. Out for dinner one night, her phone was front and center on the table, and didn't that damn thing start buzzing. And being the good slave that she was, picked it up and answered it. I lost it... I had voiced my opinion on the subject to her many times previously. This time, though, was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. I told her twice to hang up the phone. She didn't. I then put my fork and knife down, threw my napkin cloth on the table and walked out of the restaurant. I went for a walk for a bit, actually got some food somewhere else (I was still hungry). She found me about an hour later, and proceeded to tell me how much I embarrassed her. I told her I didn't care, and that I would never be disrespected like that again. The phone is nowhere near the dinner table these days.

My wife has a 19 year old daughter. She doesn't live with us, but comes over from time to time for dinner. And doesn't that damn phone end up on the dinner table when she does come over.... I just look at my wife and ask her where she thinks her daughter learned that behaviour from? The next time you're out for dinner, take a moment and look around at the other people around you. Take a closer look at the cell phones. I hate to say it, but it's really a sad sight....

Example 4 - Cell Phones in the Bedroom

My phone when I'm not using it at home sits on the kitchen counter. It's there if I need to use it. The bedroom is a personal space. I want that space for me and my wife. No one else needs to be in there, which ironically, the cell phone does an excellent job of inviting everyone you know into the bedroom. When my wife and I first started living together, and we introduced a semi-blended family. She actually told me, she wanted the bedroom just for us. She didn't want my daughter's in the room. I understood this, and respected it. It made sense. But she kept bringing her cell phone into the bedroom every night... I finally challenged her on it and asked her why my girls weren't allowed in our bedroom, but it was okay for her phone and everyone she knew to be in our bedroom? She really couldn't give me a valid reason and tried deflecting by saying she used her phone as an alarm clock. I called bullshit on that and pointed to the alarm clock sitting on my night table. Her phone now sits near mine at night time.

I know this rant has gone on for a bit, and some of you may think I'm completely anti-cell phone. Trust me, I'm not. I like my phone (sometimes). I like the conveniences it has to offer. What I don't like about the cell phone is what it has done to the user. It, based on my observations, really has made the person a lesser individual. And that truly is sad.
Seek to understand...
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: What's Your Pet Peeve?

Post by jb-texshine »

Meth addicts...
God i hate tweekers
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Getting into the turning lane, then putting on your turn signals
WTF, we know your turning now A-hole, your in the turning lane.

Not acknowledging an e-mail or a text with a simple, "Got It", mainly when you are coordinating an event.

Neighbors that let theirs dogs bark for hours on end at any time of night and "Little dog Syndrome" folks that own little dogs and their legs have never touched the ground and don't clean up their shit.... this was explained to me that the thought process behind this is because they have little shit. :evil:

When folks keep saying, "Do You see what I'm saying" or "You know what I mean" after every sentence! I can handle the Ummm's between sentences.

Folks that cry Poor Mouth that buy a pack of smokes and get something off the lunch truck twice a day, While I'm eating crackers and a Chicken Bouillon cube for lunch.

Whenever you complain about an ache or pain and the person you are talking with all of a sudden has worse ailments that take over the rest of the conversation.

People taht talk on the phone during checkout!

I can go on forever as I am perfect :thumbup:
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

DoubleJ

I am the opposite on #2 and #3, I would rather see a text and answer it later. When I was a Cub leader, I always told folks to text me and I will get back to them as soon as I could. I feel no obligation to text back immediately.

The texting works great especially when you are in a situation where cell phones (calling/talking) is prohibited.
Example, Dad had open heart surgery a few weeks ago and cell phone (voice) was prohibited, but I was able to keep my entire family in the loop, niece at college, nephews at work, brother at work, sister at work, Sister in law on a plane, daughter at college, daughter at work, son at school etc... It was nice because I would pop in a picture and post an update
I am not a phone person and I hate talking on the phone and clearing out Voice Mails.

Its a good tool if not abused.

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

C2H5O5 wrote:The texting works great especially when you are in a situation where cell phones (calling/talking) is prohibited.
Example, Dad had open heart surgery a few weeks ago and cell phone (voice) was prohibited, but I was able to keep my entire family in the loop, niece at college, nephews at work, brother at work, sister at work, Sister in law on a plane, daughter at college, daughter at work, son at school etc... It was nice because I would pop in a picture and post an update
But...!!! But...!!! But...!!! No cell phones means no cell phones...!!! If doesn't mean leave it on and text instead of calling...!!! They want cell phones turned off because they can interfere with the very medical equipment intended to help keep our loved ones alive...!!! No Cell Phones means "TURN IT OFF!!!"... But I digress...

Another of my pet peeves is people going through four or five credit cards in the checkout line and then still not having a means of paying while I stand there behind them with cash in hand saying in a clearly audible voice, "CASH...!!! It works the first time, every time...!!!"... Don't go to the store if you don't have money... If you're over-extended, financially, stay home...!!!

Oh, yeah, and people talking on cell phones while attempting to drive even though they know it is illegal to use electronic devices while driving - putting everyone elses lives in danger... It's like they feel that they are more important than everyone else... Or perhaps they think they can multitask... Guess what...??? You can't...!!! Doing so sucks what little brains people have right out of the vehicle and they might as well be on their couch or at their office desk... The no electronic device use while driving laws are in place because it is a proven fact that the majority of people can't talk or text and drive safely at the same time... Accident and death counts associated with the practice are going to surpass DWI related incidents soon, if they haven't already...
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

rad14701 wrote:
C2H5O5 wrote:The texting works great especially when you are in a situation where cell phones (calling/talking) is prohibited.
But...!!! But...!!! But...!!! No cell phones means no cell phones...!!! If doesn't mean leave it on and text instead of calling...!!! They want cell phones turned off because they can interfere with the very medical equipment intended to help keep our loved ones alive...!!! No Cell Phones means "TURN IT OFF!!!"... But I digress...
Not correct, its due to courtesy in the waiting room! I asked several of the staff and they all said the same thing that it's a courtesy to the other folks in the waiting room. People were on WiFi hot spots, laptops, tablets. No problem
Cell phones do not interfere with equipment, this is a fallacy. They even have charging stations for these devices
We were in ICU and step down also, no one had a problem going on about three weeks so far and not one Doctor, Nurse, or any staff member had an issue with it.

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Someone who 'no-show, no calls' an appointment or meeting.

People that just sit parked in the street talking while blocking all traffic,and not moving until finished at they're convenience.

Late pizza delivery.

As rad said, folks in checkout without their sh#t together.

Unsupervised, Bad kids.

Backwashin in my likker jar after I's nice enough to let you have a drink.

Touchn the underneath of my Mason jar lid, or dropping it. :thumbdown:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Far too many peeves to list. I despise political arguments and am not going to bring the elections up. But how about Federal agencies that pick and choose which laws they feel like ignoring.

Consider this Federal agency that is apparently the largest investigative agency within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (both created in 2003). This agency which I am about to mention has nearly 20,000 employees in 400 offices in all 50 states and 48 countries. ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) has approximately a $6 billion annual budget, yet aside from blowing a lot of money, I can’t figure out what all those federal employees do. Perhaps they just make life miserable for those poor honest souls that attempt to immigrate legally. My pet peeve for the moment? -Watch the following.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2QOwAJ2ez6U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by contrahead on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Omnia mea mecum porto
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My Pet Peeve,
Hells fire, give me a little while and I'll figure out a good one :lol:
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

when my kids and wife throw the dishes in the sink without taking the food off them first
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Link doesn't work contrahead
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

nO PET PEEVES REALLY WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE CAPS LIGHT ON MY KEYBOARD THAT WORKS WHEN IT 7&^%$#$*& feels like it. :crazy: :lol: :wave:

CARRy on,FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

People that have way more than the specified number of items in the express line, that then give a stack of coupons to input and ask for a raincheck for more stuff. Then top it off by paying with an out of state check. While I stand there with my one item trying to make their head explode with my brain.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

people trying to run their bullshit up my flagpole

rules #2 & #5 prohibit me from elaborating further.
Last edited by cob on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'm pretty laid back. not much pisses me off.
except...
drive your own car, don't try to drive mine.

if you step on your brakes because you think i'm following too closely, here's an idea :idea: move to the right so i can pass you.
if you stomp on the brakes twice in front of me for no other reason than being a prick and trying to own the road...be prepared to be run off the road. i will pull in front of you after the second brake stomping. i will stand on my brakes to demonstrate how stupid this practice is.

i can't help myself. that kind of stupid is contageous. fuck, it pisses me off. i'm mad right now just thinking about it. grr. :evil:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Dickheads with a sense of entitlement . That includes texting while driving , bulling into lines at WallyWorld , and people in my surrounding community that have their own business so much in hand that they have the leisure to worry about mine .
I haven't interacted with these sumbitches for 40 years . They mortgaged themselves to 10 years past when they are dead for instant mansions , swimming pools , bass boats , and new cars for all their kids when they got old enough to drive . Then they scripped themselves out for family Harley fleets when that became the fashion .
All they can do is look down on me and speculate on what I do out of jealousy and a desire to capitalize on whatever deal they think I got in to .
Those of you that came to S3 16 know that we are not pretentious . It took a year to settle the estate when SOH's Mother died and then we started finishing the house I've been in since 1972 . Seeing all the new construction ; the dickheads 'KNOW" that I have cut some kind of a deal with a gas company for developing deep gas and they want to start coming over to 'visit' to pick my brain on how they can cash in on my deal .
Those of you that know me can visualize how my Christian and charitable nature has welcomed these sumbitches with open arms ...............................
I don't know what kind of car my next door neighbor drives ................. I make it a point on account of I just mind my own bidness .
Rant over . I've found better friends here than most of the folks I grew up with .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

HDNB wrote:i'm pretty laid back. not much pisses me off.
except...
drive your own car, don't try to drive mine.

if you step on your brakes because you think i'm following too closely, here's an idea :idea: move to the right so i can pass you.
if you stomp on the brakes twice in front of me for no other reason than being a prick and trying to own the road...be prepared to be run off the road. i will pull in front of you after the second brake stomping. i will stand on my brakes to demonstrate how stupid this practice is.

i can't help myself. that kind of stupid is contageous. fuck, it pisses me off. i'm mad right now just thinking about it. grr. :evil:
Gotta disagree , friend . Driving requires the same amount of 'due diligence as carrying a firearm . You are in control of a potentially lethal weapon and you have no license to enforce your views on an idiot . Retaliatory moves only escalate a poor situation . Forget It Drive On : FIDO from Smith Safe Driving Principles For Professional Drivers ................ Worked for me OTR .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

whoops. gotta quit hitting the edit button when i mean to hit the quote button.

TB, i agree wholeheartedly. the other drivers have no license to enforce their views on an idiot (me) the first one is free. the second one...like i said, i can't help myself. i'm pleading temporary insanity. the same kind of insanity they exercize stomping on brakes for no reason in the first place.

besides, when i step on the brakes it's not retalitory, it's because a dog ran out into the road. :wink:

i like the FIDO, i think i'll put that on a card on my dash. maybe the life you save with that acronym will be mine!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

HDNB wrote:whoops. gotta quit hitting the edit button when i mean to hit the quote button.

TB, i agree wholeheartedly. the other drivers have no license to enforce their views on an idiot (me) the first one is free. the second one...like i said, i can't help myself. i'm pleading temporary insanity. the same kind of insanity they exercize stomping on brakes for no reason in the first place.

besides, when i step on the brakes it's not retalitory, it's because a dog ran out into the road. :wink:

i like the FIDO, i think i'll put that on a card on my dash. maybe the life you save with that acronym will be mine!
Don't get me wrong . There is a lot of justice out there . You just have to plan it . Case to point :
Traffic jam situation and a dickhead in a SUV is blowing up the berm because he's 'GOT TO GO' . You're approaching a bridge and 'traffic pressure' causes you to veer to the right just as this 16' SUV is at the back of your 75' rig .
Suddenly his scofflaw attitude has come back to haunt him . Option #1 is he hits my rig on the right side when I'm in the right lane in traffic jam and tries to find some way to blame me for it . Ain't gonna happen . That 75' rig angled just enough for the dickhead to run out of real estate and go plowing through the 'telephone trees' . ALL HIS FAULT .
Ya got to plan your battles wisely .
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

pfshine wrote:Link doesn't work contrahead
Sorry. I think there might have been a space in my original link. Try it now.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/2QOwAJ2ez6U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Omnia mea mecum porto
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I have a lot of them but one of the biggest is people telling new members to read and learn the parent site without telling them that it contains a lot of outdated and potentially dangerous information.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Folks that build up thousands of posts within a short time, tryn to impress people, then mostly directing them to a link or 'their own' link made with other links all put together into a link they call ' their own'. :wtf:
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I hate it when people call a magazine for a gun a "clip." This bothers me much more than it should. I mostly don't care what people say.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

cranky wrote:I have a lot of them but one of the biggest is people telling new members to read and learn the parent site without telling them that it contains a lot of outdated and potentially dangerous information.
Mine is telling them that they have to read it in the first place. 3 times, None the less.

No, you don't. Not one bit. Nope. There I said it. It's boring, outdated, and written outside common communication. Read it if you're bored, sure, but you don't have to read it for any reason at all.

That's been bugging me. There is way more information in the forums than the parent site. And written any style you can understand. You can spend your whole life reading just the forums, learning more than you ever will on that part of the site. It turns people off, and there's no reason for that.

The calculations are timeless :thumbup: . The rest can be ignored for all I care.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

With you alls great amount of knowledge between the two of you, get with tater and make the Parent site better ...Or, as ya'll say, just do away with it.
I think everyone ought to do the required readn which includes the Parent site ...
The forums aren't just for everyone ...Hence lurking.
Most t-totaled newbies prolly thinkn the Parent site is very helpful, required readn should expose correct, preferred methods, techniques.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Brutal wrote:I hate it when people call a magazine for a gun a "clip." This bothers me much more than it should. I mostly don't care what people say.
Have to agree with you on this one.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Mine is telling them that they have to read it in the first place. 3 times, None the less
That would be an indicator that you haven't read it enough times or didn't comprehend what you read well enough for it to gel in your gray matter... There are a lot of theories and fundamentals that are covered there far better than scrounging around here in the forums... Your opinions are duly noted but they are just that, your opinions... Well, actually, your pet peeves that aren't shared by everyone...

:P :lolno:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I believe the parent site was first built by Tony Aukland and we have not been able to change or update some of the information. Having said that we also have some great information written by members back in 2004 to 2010 on the forum however some of the information is dated and through memberships testing and updating designs we have changed our attitude on many items thus the importance of research. I will give you a grea example:
In the early years we talked about the three types of reflux stills (VM,LM, & CM). The CM still was toted as the worst of the three designs and for good reason. It's original design was very limited but due to members redesigning and improving it's design it is actually more flexible than the other two in my opinion (I have both a VM and CM).
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hound Dog wrote:
Brutal wrote:I hate it when people call a magazine for a gun a "clip." This bothers me much more than it should. I mostly don't care what people say.
Have to agree with you on this one.
For anyone who may be confused... I had a post written earlier but dicked up my browser and lost it... This pic explains what I had typed...
ammo.jpg
ammo.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Rad, I figured you would chime in, you're really the only one left still proclaiming the golden knowledge on it. I respect your opinion, too, but it's still just another one of those as well. It's not a rite of passage to suffer through it. I get it, you think it weeds out the ones with less of an IQ. There isn't any fundamental there that you can't get (lurking) in the forums. You never have to say a word and still read more relevant info.

I read it, I understood it. Did 'my time'. Feel better about my understanding of how to create amazing, safe liqour now?

Moon, I like ya, ain't trying to get in between whatever pebble you got in your shoe. I read into that link comment and Cranky. I ain't ever been one believing in post count or act like I ain't learned everything from here. I speak when I have something to say. If you have something to say about the parent site, go on and say it. I just agree that we tell them to read it, almost to feel justified in our own position, only to tell them that is "out dated, and alot of it had been approved upon". Well then just cut the familiarity of it all, cause that's how we have always done it. It hasn't been kept up with, not that I can tell, it is what it is.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."