Starsan and Copper

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Starsan and Copper

Post by Antler24 »

So I dabbed some straight starsan on a paper towel and wiped down a piece of scrap copper and it almost instantly turned nice and shiny. Is it safe to wipe down our stills with this to remove the patina? What about mixing as directed and soaking the still head and condenser in it?
I'm all for the patina look but will be modifying my setup soon and would rather see it all look shiny than a mixture of shiny/patina.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
freefall
Swill Maker

Re: Starsan and Copper

Post by freefall »

katsup works and is cheaper. :-)
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I would say hell yes, it should be entirely safe to polish your still with Star San. I’ve never used the product but it appears to be a food grade commercial sanitizing agent made especially for your purpose. Rinse everything afterwards, regardless of advertising claims.

The active ingredient in Star San is phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is used as a food additive, rust inhibitor, sanitizing agent and for other things. You drink this inorganic mineral acid in Coke or Pepsi and other soft drinks. Yes, colas are sometimes used as metal polish.

Acidic acid (comprising 5-20% of vinegar), oxalic acid, muriatic or hydrochloric acid and several others will clean tarnish from metal. Even ammonia, which is a base at the opposite side of the pH scale – will clean away tarnish. The century old metal polish known as Brasso contains ammonium hydroxide. Even electrolysis and DC current can be used to clean copper corrosion.

So the foam from Star San, tomato puree from catsup or paste mixture from a bottle of other metal polish, will hold the active ingredient next to the metal surface longer. Liquid acid or alkali applied by rag or sponge would quickly run off and be less effective.
Last edited by contrahead on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

contrahead wrote:I would say hell yes, it should be entirely safe to polish your still with Star San. I’ve never used the product but it appears to be a food grade commercial sanitizing agent made especially for your purpose. Rinse everything afterwards, regardless of advertising claims.

The active ingredient in Star San is phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is used as a food additive, rust inhibitor, sanitizing agent and for other things. You drink this inorganic mineral acid in Coke or Pepsi and other soft drinks. Yes, colas are sometimes used as metal polish.

Acidic acid (comprising 5-20% of vinegar), oxalic acid, muriatic or hydrochloric acid and several others will clean tarnish from metal. Even ammonia, which is a base at the opposite side of the pH scale – will clean away tarnish. The century old metal polish known as Brasso contains ammonium hydroxide. Even electrolysis and DC current can be used to clean copper corrosion.

So the foam from Star San, tomato puree from catsup or paste mixture from a bottle of other metal polish, will hold the active ingredient next to the metal surface longer. Liquid acid or alkali applied by rag or sponge would quickly run off and be less effective.
Thanks for that, great help! I will add that I'm not worried about it lasting. I'm adding a thump keg and the new shiny copper will likely stand out from my well patina'd head and condenser. I just want it all to match lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Antler, I don't know how much Star San costs, I am sure it is safe but have you ever wet a rag with vinegar and dumped salt on it then rubbed your copper still? Vinegar and salt paste work wonders on copper.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.