VA stopped my pain meds

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: VA stopped my pain meds

Post by shadylane »

That would be the logical idea :thumbup:
But I'm a cantancerous old fart.
Never did like pissing in a cup
Figure the best option, is to quit opiates.
I might use it again in the future for recovering from surgery.
But not to hide from day to day pain.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The whole deal sucks Shady ut I'm curious why you had to have a thc test ? Was it a work related drug test or police roadside drug test or something ?
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Not sure bout shady but every time ole boys go to primary care doc they take your blood on the way out. Was tole it was to make sure liver and kidneys was all right but I never much believe anythang they say. Still the same as it ever was

1 ea. Gi / vet. Expendable

So I'm tole
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Yummyrum wrote:The whole deal sucks Shady ut I'm curious why you had to have a thc test ? Was it a work related drug test or police roadside drug test or something ?
I was at home, fell off a latter and broke my arm.
Went to the emergency room and a blood test was done.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

shadylane wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:The whole deal sucks Shady ut I'm curious why you had to have a thc test ? Was it a work related drug test or police roadside drug test or something ?
I was at home, fell off a latter and broke my arm.
Went to the emergency room and a blood test was done.
Unless you went to a VA hospital, and your use of weed was considered the reason for your injury, HIPPA should have protected you from having the VA snoop in your medical records...
Flintstone
Novice

Post by Flintstone »

Google HIPAA title 45 ss 164.506. Short read but in a nutshell, covered providers with whom a patient has a relationship can disclose protected information amongst themselves. There are a couple of exceptions but they don't pertain here.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Our new Drug Nazis have been trying to cut everyone's pain meds for a year or more, Especially in Appalachia . The VA, and regular doctors both. I went to the doctor last week and they cut my dosage in half cause they are under so much pressure from the feds.
I promptly doubled my Likker prescription.
Sorry for your situation.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

THC is a huge problem, you must stop! But here, take these opiates instead. Makes no sense to me.

I remember my friend who was a smoker was at the dentist and the guy said "If you want to stop smoking I can give you a prescription for valium."

Yeh, good trade there doc.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Guess I had a quilty conscience.
I owe the private emergency room an apology.
They didn't share any info with the VA. Other than I had a couple broken bones
And I was heading to the VA with a splint on my arm. :oops:

Now the question is, why did the VA quit filling my hydrocodone prescription :?:
I've sent some secure messages on My healthy vet
And the only response is the nurses say's she will forward the question to the Dr.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

These are some tremulous times . Outgoing party hack doing everything they can to fuck the entire system .
I know I am borderline or over on forum rules and apologize . Dump the comment and strap my legs if necisesisary .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

shady now that you got a broke arm the VA might think your double dippin. lots of people do that.

the VA wants to think they aren't creating junkies, but in some cases their dead wrong.

I wish you luck.
be water my friend
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Let them keep their damn pills. It's time to up the herbal remedies. Keep the likker at a reasonable level and go up with the herbal remedies. Waaay up! Good luck brother I feel for you.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
captjack6
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captjack6 »

I am not a fan of the VA. After more than 40 years and people bugging me to go to the VA I final broke down cause the meds I was taking were getting expensive. I just wanted to get the prescriptions ordered by my doctors filled since they were much cheaper. They said I needed to see VA doctors. Once I got that settled. Thes said I could not get one drug because it was too expensive and I needed to take another that was generic. I told them I was allergic to them and showed them my non VA medical records. They insisted as said I would have to start the others that I was allergic to and go from there. I blew up and told them to shove their meds where the sun did not shine and that it took me over 40 years to come to you and this is how you treat VN vets. A few days later they called and said I could get the meds I needed. That went on for a few months and I got another letter that said I made too much money that year and I was not eligible any more. I disputed them ans stated the I cashed in part of a 401K to pay medical bills from my heart operation.
I had some service connected stuff that I never put in for since there were a lot of others that had far worse injuries I finally claimed them. I figured screw them after a year they approved 40% not all that I should have got but I will get that check for the rest of my life.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Got a call from the VA, setting a time for me and the Dr to talk on the phone.
Maybe I'll figure out what happened :lol:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Talked to the VA Dr, His answer why they stopped my meds was real simple.
They are cutting back on how much they prescribe.
In the Dr's words, I have been using opiates "judicially" and only filling my monthly meds every 3 or 4 months.
My guess is, after all these years, they finally gave up on trying to make me a junky :lol:
On a side note, what the hell is "judicially"
I haven't googled it yet, It'll piss me off if the Doc's comparing me to the judicial system :eh:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

shadylane wrote:Talked to the VA Dr, His answer why they stopped my meds was real simple.
They are cutting back on how much they prescribe.
In the Dr's words, I have been using opiates "judicially" and only filling my monthly meds every 3 or 4 months.
My guess is, after all these years, they finally gave up on trying to make me a junky :lol:
On a side note, what the hell is "judicially"
I haven't googled it yet, It'll piss me off if the Doc's comparing me to the judicial system :eh:
In this context, you haven't been using the strong opiod medications enough to warrant a continued prescription... Essentially, you have been deemed (read: judged) too healthy to need them... Sounds like they are of the opinion that you should be able to manage the pain with over the counter medications...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The majority of the time, I can manage pain without opiates.
The problem is, it makes me a mean old cranky bastard.
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

https://www.google.co.nz/search?rls=en- ... +rule+%236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

But it is ok on this occasion?
willee
Novice

Post by willee »

Has anybody told you about herbal kratom (or something like that) ... research it! its currently legal to use.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

xyz123 wrote:https://www.google.co.nz/search?rls=en- ... +rule+%236

"Prescription Opiods" are not illegal and not against Rule #6...!!! They are a controlled substance prescribed by a licensed physician... No different than blood pressure medication or diabetes medication or Parkinsons medication or . . . .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

As Rad pointed out, the Opioids are Prescription from the VA
And medical marijuana is legal where I'm at.
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

OK, sorry, when I did the search any discussion of this kind was frowned upon.

Nice to know that it is ok under certain circumstance.

Here is a list for future reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_ ... n#By_state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

xyz123 wrote:OK, sorry, when I did the search any discussion of this kind was frowned upon.

Nice to know that it is ok under certain circumstance.

Here is a list for future reference.

<SNIP>
He said he failed a piss test and no more... It is still against the rules to talk about the substance whether it is legal in some states or not... Still illegal at the federal level... No need to dwell on it further... :shh:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Oh boy, if I start whistling The soldiers joy would it lighten the tone.
Ok I think some people are getting pedantic here, prescription medication and illegal drugs are by definition not the same discussion
Rule 6. No discussions of any illegal activity, except the actual hobby level distillation process. These forums are only for discussing the creation and enjoyment of high quality spirits for one's own personal consumption. They are not for the discussion or promotion of any other illegal activities, including illegal drugs, obtaining stilling materials by illegal means, etc. Offenders may be banned.
The aim of the above rule is not ambiguous or open to variant interpretations, its very clear. The rule is there to discourage the discussion of illegal actives not pertaining directly to producing spirits for the purpose of private consumption (fuel, beverage, botanical extraction, what ever) This rule does not pertain to the discussion of prescription medication or any activity clearly legal in the jurisdiction to which such action is undertaken :roll:
Gosh, just takes one rabbit to dig a hole
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Dr's are under the gun from both sides and justifiably so . Their defense is the term AMA (Against Medical Advice) . According to them if you don't turn yourself into a junkie by taking every little pill they prescribe they can drop you as a patient for not following their 'professional ' advice . It's a control thing . Elites vs the unwashed . (No political agenda intended in that last statement .)
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

shadylane wrote:The majority of the time, I can manage pain without opiates.
The problem is, it makes me a mean old cranky bastard.
learned something from Dr. google, as i reseached middle age recently. not sure of your age but this may be of interest...(you can find the "scholarly articles" by searching Low t + opiates)...(((low T is the opposite search to "why is my menopausal wife nuts?")))

a huge percentage (like 80ish%) of chronic low-dose opioid users will experience low testosterone. male menopause or "andropause" the opioid interferes with hypothallmus-pituitary-gonadal axis, meaning your brain doesn't tell you pituitary to tell your nuts to work.

why am i writing this?

search low T, it makes men "a mean cranky bastard" especially if they don't have opioids to mellow them out.

FWIW.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

rad14701 wrote:
xyz123 wrote:https://www.google.co.nz/search?rls=en- ... +rule+%236

"Prescription Opiods" are not illegal and not against Rule #6...!!! They are a controlled substance prescribed by a licensed physician... No different than blood pressure medication or diabetes medication or Parkinsons medication or . . . .
"Yes, I was guilty on the THC piss test" - Shady.

Do opiods cause a positive THC test?

Apparently, reading this site till your eyes bleed is a prerequisite, I have done this. This is not the only thread of a contradictory nature I have come across.

I am a bit new here I will admit that, but it seems that you Old Boys will let things slide when it suits.

I am not attempting to be confrontational, but, apparently, you are able to ignore your own rules if you feel they are justified.

Unless you live in New Zealand, and, in some parts of Europe, under certain circumstance, distilling is illegal, which the rules state that is no issue.

This thread is evidence that we are able to discuss these rule #6 things in off topic if it is legal in the state you are in.

Federal law be damned.

Hey, you know, some newbie (say me) might read this and think it is ok.

How about you see it from someone elses point of view for once?

Or are you the law of the site, which, would be Radiculous, but, my research would indicate that this is so.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

He didn't "talk" about it in detail, he merely made mention of the piss test... Drop it already...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Something I'm sure of
Since the VA is on a mission to decrease pain meds
They need a game plan for dealing with it.
For years, they have been prescribing opiates, instead of taking care of the problem.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shadylane wrote:Something I'm sure of
Since the VA is on a mission to decrease pain meds
They need a game plan for dealing with it.
For years, they have been prescribing opiates, instead of taking care of the problem.
There is where we need to place the focus . They are going to pick which ever side of the argument they think they need to be on to keep their jobs .
I don't look for that to work as well as it used to in the coming year .