Why do people post about this on Facebook

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

speeddemon94
Novice

Why do people post about this on Facebook

Post by speeddemon94 »

I've got a buddy, and no matter what I do, I can't convince him that in the US, this hobby is a no-no. Yet he continues to post pictures of mash, and his still on Facebook. He believes that it's completely legal for personal consumption, in his state, it's not, of course, but I can't convince him otherwise. I'm all about freedom, but dang it sure seems like people will do anything to shoot themselves in the foot. Not to mention, if he gets a visit, it could potentially make it harder for the rest of us who quietly enjoy this hobby, by further regulating equipment or brewing supplies.

What would others say to this guy to get him to be a little smarter about this?
willee
Novice

Re: Why do people post about this on Facebook

Post by willee »

I would say he has a death wish and likes to flirt with disaster.
Does his family also agree to take the risk with him ... or are they even aware he is violating federal law? (if he has one)
Did you remind him of what he could lose if the feds decided to reel him in as an example?
His job, freedom, forfeiture of his property, and financial ruin for him and his family!
It is against the law and if he thinks he is above that law he is setting himself up for a very rude awaking to reality.

Back in the 70's there was a income tax activist that stood on the steps of the IRS and dared the agency to arrest him for refusing to file and pay income tax.
He was convinced it was unlawful (and was most likely correct).
I think he is still in jail.
speeddemon94
Novice

Post by speeddemon94 »

Trouble is, he honestly believes it's 100% legal as long as he's not selling it. And no matter what law I show him, I can't convince him he's wrong. And advertising won't end well. I guess I just throw up my hands and hope the best for him.

Frustrating.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I had someone I work with get charged with growing and selling marijuana because they posted photos of thier indoor garden and did dealings through Facebook messager. We warned him repeatedly and he seemed to not understand that he was piling up evidence against himself and self incriminating himself Everytime he'd post about harvesting so much and that it was for sale. It took an ex who he'd cheated on to call the local authorities who in turn created a false account with hot girl modelling photos and friended him. They compiled the evidence and successfully charged him.

So you should probably cut off all social media contact with your friend as the authorities use all types of tricks to gather information on suspects and the people around them. Also if a hot girl adds you as a friend , but has a few friends In common and has new profile with a few modelling photos then it's most likely fake and block that profile right away. I've since gotten rid of my Facebook and don't share my hobby with anyone except a few close friends
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I had someone I work with get charged with growing and selling marijuana because they posted photos of thier indoor garden and did dealings through Facebook messager. We warned him repeatedly and he seemed to not understand that he was piling up evidence against himself and self incriminating himself Everytime he'd post about harvesting so much and that it was for sale. It took an ex who he'd cheated on to call the local authorities who in turn created a false account with hot girl modelling photos and friended him. They compiled the evidence and successfully charged him.

So you should probably cut off all social media contact with your friend as the authorities use all types of tricks to gather information on suspects and the people around them. Also if a hot girl adds you as a friend , but has a few friends In common and has new profile with a few modelling photos then it's most likely fake and block that profile right away. I've since gotten rid of my Facebook and don't share my hobby with anyone except a few close friends
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Speed, your friend sounds like a real liability. When he goes down, a "tell all" is likely and you may get an unwanted knock at your door. I maybe overly paranoid, but...Just Sayin'
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ignorance can be fixed through education but you can't fix stupid...!!!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

A part of it may also be the pervading "look at me" culture.
Not trying to be rude at all towards your friend, but I see it on Facebook a lot where ordinary Joes and Janes want their glamour in the spotlight even if it's revealing their most otherwise private activity.
I'm in Missouri and we're allowed by state law to distill 100 gallons annually (if you're over 21).

Maybe that gives me false comfort, because Federal law trumps state.
Perhaps you've given us all a good reminder. This is an illegal activity. Treat it as such.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Apparently he is immune for facts. That seems to become the standard, nowadays.
If it was a friend of me, I would unfriend him at social media to start with. And maybe in real life too, if possible.
Hide my still and refrain to making beer and wine (which is allowed in my country). At least: I would tell that to everybody who knows about my current activities.

He is a danger and in a way a traitor and if he gets caught, it will be easier for him to tell about you than to keep his mouth shut.

Why he does tell on facebook is not relevant for you, but the danger he poses for you is.
speeddemon94
Novice

Post by speeddemon94 »

Agreed. He actually called me right after I posted this thread, and I tried to convince him again that his advertising is a bad idea...He maintained his misinformed line of thought that it's legal for personal consumption. He's in a different state than I am, but not one that has any sort of state law that allows for it...

Frustrating situation for sure.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

I recently joined a home brewing group on there and yesterday's guy asked about distilling groups on Facebook. People started posting pictures up right and left. One guy said "hey, it's not legal in the US or most of the world outside New Zealand." No matter what, people said what are you a cop? Does it matter? It ain't legal unless you get caught. Dumb mofos if you ask me. Their ignorance/pride is going to get em busted at some point.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just a thought
Think of your careless friend, like he's the canary in the coal mine. :lol:
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Hmm... Talking about distilling and posting pictures online.

Well that's just crazy!
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

shadylane wrote:Just a thought
Think of your careless friend, like he's the canary in the coal mine. :lol:
This.

But more importantly you need to take inventory of every illegal thing your friend knows about YOU! When they pick him up he's going to tell them everything. He's going to stupidly argue with them the same stupid way he is arguing with you. He'll throw you under the bus before he knows what he's done.

So if he knows you distill, I'd say stop.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6