Was walking out of walmart...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Re: Was walking out of walmart...

Post by thecroweater »

right about the time I found cheese in a can I gave up looking :lol: its weird how similar the USA is to here but look a little deeper and you see we ain't in Kansas anymore Toto . You guys have similar mainstream beers some good some not so much and some great craft beer like here. You guys kill it on whiskey, we got distilleries but not many and all pretty new. Places like Walmart we would have to go to three different shops at least to get a similar range. Cabelas ha think we spent longer in there than I did in the Smithonian, we don't have shops like that on that scale.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

"I did see some of those people that you see in the posts about " the people of Walmart", but then people with heads like a hat full of arseholes shouldn't throw stones."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I don't care if that was directed at me or not, THAT WAS HILARIOUS! Almost spit my tea on my keyboard! (I'm at work)

It's funny hearing Aussies talk about the volume of items available as I can relate;
I'm in Germany and we have our Canex (Canadian version of the PX) and I happen to have my German landlord with me one day. Walked in and grabbed some liquor and stuff and he was in shock at the amount of stuff we had and the prices. (liquor was about 1/4 price compared to on the German economy including German liquors) Anyway, I'm all like "yeah, this is what we have" as he stood there with his mouth open looking at the varieties of cereal, chips, everything.

A week or so later and my buddies and me go to Rhein-Main AFB and stop by the PX there for the first time...umm, yeah we were in the same state. Standing there with mouths open looking at the size of the boxes of cereal etc from the states. Holy crap, everything was family sized and just the grocery part of the store was bigger than the whole Canex we had in Lahr.

I still notice a huge difference when going to a Canadian Costco for example and a US one. "land of plenty" HELL YEAH! The prices are stupid cheap compared to Canada as well.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Walmart...
I live near the world HQ and if you don't like the stores, you wouldn't like the HQ. Walmart is a MACHINE, good or bad is in the eyes of the beholder.

It is hard to beat their prices and if you live in the sticks, the price dif gets even wider. Lots of staple items are 30% cheaper. Even tires are cheaper and if you have a flat any Walmart in the country will fix it for free. I can buy tires in NY, have a flat in Las Vegas and the fix is free!

Walmart HQ, the town (Bentonville, Rodgers, Fayettvile) has been one of the fastest growing economies in the U.S. for a decade. While Walmart salaries are in question, the salaries paid by their vendors are huge. Vendors spend millions to live near Walmart or travel in and out. That's stimulus right there.

Managers across the country salaries are based on store size. The manager at a Super Center makes about $150K plus bonuses. He has ~150 employees, the liquor licenses are in his name. He signs off with the EPA for gasoline sales. He can set prices and can sell some things at a loss.Gasoline price is fixed at +-2 cents of the best local price.

Three of my kids have worked for Walmart direct, vendors to Walmart and my wife has worked for four vendors to Walmart. Two of the kids hate Walmart and one loves them. My wife understands the MACHINE and liked the salaries that the vendors pay. The local economy would pay a college degree about half of what Walmart does and a third of what a vendor would.

You can't blame Walmart for the "colorful" customers that shop there! Those colorful customers probably aren't capable of going to three stores for food, hardware and health items. Same people ride the bus, aye?

I go to two local feed stores also. You should see the folks and hear the conversations there!

You can't blame Walmart for the employment/wages they offer. Think the other stores pay more? Think the gas stations pay more?

I live in a rural area. County is 14,000 souls and one traffic light in front of the school. That's one traffic light in the county! Within 14 miles of my home, for food, I have one Walmart, one regional grocery store, two gas stations with convenience stores and one specialty/Amish food store. We go to Walmart for price/hard goods and the Amish store for quality meat, eggs and cheese once a week.

We go to a bigger town, 45 miles plus, once a month for a Sam's, Cabelas and other specialty stores.

I don't like some of Walmart's sales and expansion tactics. But today, we would be worse off without Walmart. Rural areas would really suffer.

Walmart sees Dollar General as their biggest food competition. Do you like Dollar General Stores?
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Personally I don't see the people of Wal-Mart as any different than anywhere else, except maybe Trader Joe's :problem: I live near 2 safeways and a large Fred Mayers and they are all very much the same freak show you can see on those "people of Wal-Mart" websites. I personally seldom go to Wal-Mart because it is just too inconvenient for most things. Parking is a mess, quality is a real issue, prices don't really seem all that much better than some other places I will pass while going to Wal-Mart and I still remember when the quality of virtually everything there was pretty much required to be less than anybody else but one of the biggest things that irks me about them is that they have 45 checkout stands but even at their busiest times they only have 3 of them open. However there are just some things you have to go to Wal-Mart for so I wind up going there about once every 2 months. Now a store I will never go to is Trader Joe's. As far as I'm concerned that's the truly evil store in the neighborhood.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK just out of interest I'll bite, pretty sure trader joes in Penn ave DC is where I got a few things salmon jerky for one. Smallish minimart , what's the issue there?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Was Walking Out of Trader Joe's...... :lol:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder . If you go to any store to make fun of certain customers you can find what pleases you .
If you go there to get the shit you need and get out you can do that too . That be me .
I navigate courteously around other shoppers to accomplish my own purposes . I require the same of them . Life is good ...........
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

DAD300 wrote:Walmart...
I live near the world HQ and if you don't like the stores, you wouldn't like the HQ. Walmart is a MACHINE, good or bad is in the eyes of the beholder.

It is hard to beat their prices and if you live in the sticks, the price dif gets even wider. Lots of staple items are 30% cheaper. Even tires are cheaper and if you have a flat any Walmart in the country will fix it for free. I can buy tires in NY, have a flat in Las Vegas and the fix is free!

Walmart HQ, the town (Bentonville, Rodgers, Fayettvile) has been one of the fastest growing economies in the U.S. for a decade. While Walmart salaries are in question, the salaries paid by their vendors are huge. Vendors spend millions to live near Walmart or travel in and out. That's stimulus right there.

Managers across the country salaries are based on store size. The manager at a Super Center makes about $150K plus bonuses. He has ~150 employees, the liquor licenses are in his name. He signs off with the EPA for gasoline sales. He can set prices and can sell some things at a loss.Gasoline price is fixed at +-2 cents of the best local price.

Three of my kids have worked for Walmart direct, vendors to Walmart and my wife has worked for four vendors to Walmart. Two of the kids hate Walmart and one loves them. My wife understands the MACHINE and liked the salaries that the vendors pay. The local economy would pay a college degree about half of what Walmart does and a third of what a vendor would.

You can't blame Walmart for the "colorful" customers that shop there! Those colorful customers probably aren't capable of going to three stores for food, hardware and health items. Same people ride the bus, aye?

I go to two local feed stores also. You should see the folks and hear the conversations there!

You can't blame Walmart for the employment/wages they offer. Think the other stores pay more? Think the gas stations pay more?

I live in a rural area. County is 14,000 souls and one traffic light in front of the school. That's one traffic light in the county! Within 14 miles of my home, for food, I have one Walmart, one regional grocery store, two gas stations with convenience stores and one specialty/Amish food store. We go to Walmart for price/hard goods and the Amish store for quality meat, eggs and cheese once a week.

We go to a bigger town, 45 miles plus, once a month for a Sam's, Cabelas and other specialty stores.

I don't like some of Walmart's sales and expansion tactics. But today, we would be worse off without Walmart. Rural areas would really suffer.

Walmart sees Dollar General as their biggest food competition. Do you like Dollar General Stores?

You forgot to mention the 800k annual average drain for each location on the STATE taxes for employee supplemental benefitsfrom the govt that they offer courses on how to get ....since their pay is shit.

But since there's not much work for the untalented in the areas it all ends up in the wash on the taxpayer right?!

Lol

Not to mention the company holds charity food drives for its employees.

Poor folks
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

thecroweater wrote:OK just out of interest I'll bite, pretty sure trader joes in Penn ave DC is where I got a few things salmon jerky for one. Smallish minimart , what's the issue there?

Trader Joe's is awesome!!!
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Every time you walk into Walmart it takes 3 minutes off your life.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I should know better but, here I go.
But first, two things about Walmart.
For a couple of years, I volunteered to man the Salvation Army kettle before Christmas and was stationed outside a WalMart on a Saturday afternoon.
One year my young son was with me and I highly recommend it as one of the best ways to get in the Christmas spirit.
What was amazing is the lower end of the economic spectrum almost ALWAYS contributed something, usually paper money.
It almost seemed like the higher up the "social scale" the less likely they were to put something in the pot.

Also, I guess last year I was running errands and as usual my canine wingman - 100 pound Lab - was with me.
I forgot I had to run in Walmart and it was too hot to leave him in the car.
Yeah I'm one of those crazy old men. Well I put the leash on him and at least we went in through the Home/Garden entrance.
Didn't get THAT many strange looks and I few veteran looking guys gave me a nod. I figured they thought he was a service dog, which is kinda true.
So guilty as charged.

All of that being said, here in the South, we call them Walmartians. Here's one now!
WalMartian.jpg
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Walmart is actually middle-class in the Walton trifecta... don't forget it spawned two other chains of stores... the now defunct and even lower class "Buds" and then for the high rollers, Sam's Club.
buds.jpg