Off topic from "why copper in the Liebig

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Why Copper in Liebig?

Post by DAD300 »

There are great examples of none copper liebigs around.
#wall leibig.jpg
PVC over Stainless Keg Spear, used a hundred times without failure. PVC is sealed to tube with epoxy.

There is also a great example using PVC hose and Hose clamps.

A none copper dimroth is very easy.

The reason to use something other than copper on the descending vapor path is Ethyl Carbamate! It is a carcinogen. Copper touching your product can/may promote EC in your aging product. Ever wonder why copper cookware feel out of favor?

Now people who quote the thermal property of copper almost always fail to say that SS tube is thinner for the same strength. The dif in thickness makes the thermal properties much closer than you would imagine.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Copper cookware fall out of favour :econfused: I don't think it was anymore common than it still is and you are damned unlikely to produce EC frying eggs in a copper pan. As for the copper in the descending path rubbish let's save the red herrings for ya copper pan or the liars bench . Not sure why you've brought non copper dimroths up, seems pretty random considering the discussion but on that I would think a stainless alternative might be better than saying "non copper. Sure a PVC or even lead might be easier but its not usable :roll:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'm not sure I've seen a grumpier thread on such a straight forward subject!
Using non copper shells is fine. Drilling/grinding/filing out copper tees is easy. EC concerns are hardly rubbish (though I would love to read a detailed case made about it rather than just dismissive name calling). Discussing various still materials in a thread about still materials seems perfectly relevant. Even mentioning other types of condensers in how they relate to one being discussed also seems relevant. What's to be grumpy about? Can I make drinks and sandwiches for everybody?

I will say I thought copper cooking pots went out of favor because they are expensive, and a bit of a pain to re-tin when someone invariably preheats the skillet empty and melts the tin off, or scratches it off with an overzealous metal spatula or scourer. Now I'm hungry, I need bacon.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Not grumpy it just wasn't relevant to the question and I think most folks are over the copper with kill ya to death tripe. The are several threads relevant to such subjects this is not one.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Crow, you're a mod, so I guess you're sorta the boss. Seems to me it's reasonably on topic since it is a concern about condenser materials, even if it is a concern you dismiss. Regardless, super strict on topic posting isn't in the rules anyway. But being nice is:
2. Be polite and courteous. Remember that nobody is perfect and nobody knows everything.
Maybe I do need to read some more on Ethyl Carbamate, it certainly didn't seem proven to be a non-issue last I really looked into it. Maybe Dad and myself have some outdated concerns. But "tripe" "rubbish" "liar's bench" isn't a polite and courteous way to inform me of such. It's cool, I'm not really bitching. I think anybody old enough to be here ought to be old enough to handle a little harshness, but it still stands out. I'm still using copper condensers for some things, notably my pot still liebigs, and would love to know I really just don't need to worry about it at all. If I make that decision I won't feel my concerns were rubbish, but that the body of our collective knowledge, concerns and solutions is not static. Which is a good thing.

Anyway, I guess I've got something to research while OP gets his now copper liebig sorted and hopefully posts up some pics for us.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Dad 300
This topic has absolutely nothing to do with your interpretentions or ideas about ethyl carbamate in down path. It is specifically intended to discuss cooling jacket only.

Ethylcarbamate has been discussed in detail in several other threads. Keep it in there.

Please do not derail threads to favor your agendas. Is like a.... holes. Everybody has one.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK zapater let's get a couple of things straight, firstly I'm not some kinda boss. My opinion doesn't carry anymore weight than anyone elses. I used the terms tripe rubbish and liars bench in given contexts in given posts, I'm sure I could have googled politically correct alternative descriptions but perhaps I'm not the most PC bloke on here. The reason I used those terms is not about my opinion its about fact and logic for even if you were dull enough to believe that EC is only formed in the presence of copper logic says that if copper is in the ascending path then that is where it will be catylized yeah? OK so now we are way off topic from what this threads intention was and that is why this direction of discussion was discouraged. It had absolutely nothing personal to do with Dad300 just the potentially misleading concept he posted and the fact it is completely off topic to this discussion and as seen to further discuss it only served to further drag this off topic. You may know Odin posted similar a few posts earlier and it was removed by another mod, I feel there is some shit stirring afoot so perhaps in hindsight that would have been the prudent response from me. The liars bench comment was a bit tongue and cheek but would be possibly more on topic there.
I don't have much time for feigned indignation so if you or anyone feel I'm being untoward you are most cordially invited to PM about it :thumbup:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Off topic from "why copper in the Liebig

Post by DAD300 »

Where is the original post(s)?
There were two pages.
Do you think I was the OP? I wasn't.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The original is where it always was this section was moved before you me and a couple of others fell on their swords.... your welcome :wink:
If you would like to repost your picture with the on topic comments there I think that would be just dandy :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=69473#p7509200
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

rubber duck wrote:
CrazyCanadian wrote:Is there any reason, besides it looks great, for the outer pipe in a liebig condenser to be copper? Since it never touches the product, can I make that outer pipe out of something cheaper and easier to work with. Something like PVC or galvanized pipe, etc? Sched 40 PVC can handle some high temps and Sched 80 can handle even higher.
As long as your not using your next mash as cooling water you could use a lead pipe I guess.

I hope there is some reason for this question....

Hey now I'm not rad most of the time.
Well, you are right!
The accurate question of this thread would be: why copper outside a Liebig? And there really is not reason for that.

The copper in a Liebig has been discussed before. And is discussed as we speak too: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69584
Something with ethylcarbamate being formed in the descending path of a copper condensor.
That is why I am thinking of making a Liebig of a 15 mm iron inner tube with a 22 mm copper outer tube.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

That is why I am thinking of making a Liebig of a 15 mm iron inner tube with a 22 mm copper outer tube

:esurprised:
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

I didn't think iron was a good substance in a vapour path?

Now I am all sorts of confused.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

johnsparrow wrote:I didn't think iron was a good substance in a vapour path?

Now I am all sorts of confused.
Sorry for the confusion johnsparrow Its a childish knee jerk of a conversation. Iron is NOT a preferred metal but proble wont kill ya even if you could stand it.

AC