Home made bottle labels

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Does anyone use labels?

Post by Jimbo »

Like Bear says sometimes Ill generate the label in the program with no text and then pull it into another program. For these 2 I used Powerpoint to put in some alternate text.
cornwhiskey2.jpg
Vanilla Porter.jpg
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

So, Jimbo, did you get into all this distilling nonsense just to make your own barrel aged beer?
That BBVP sounds damn tasty.

I love your absinthe label, Paulinka, very nice.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha... hmmmm, maybe? Ya that BBVP was great, didnt last long! My current bourbon barrel brew is a BBIPA, its off the hook, man I love a touch of that caramelly oak goodness in a beer that can stand up to it. I started pouring half glasses, at least for myself, cause I dont want it to be gone LOL. Havent had much time to get into the brew room lately! Need to fix that.

Paulinka, them are some very classy labels! Nice work!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Wow! What a bunch of cool labels. I had no idea this was such an artistic group.

This is the only real label I've ever made. I thought it was lost. I spent about a million hours creating it with MS Publisher a couple years ago. All the working files were on a HDD that bought the farm last month. Then a couple copies popped out of some random folder with a few obsolete spreadsheets this morning.
cassblueletters
cassblueletters

I swap colors or add an effect between editions.

Where I get in trouble is when I have too many knobs to twist.
It's like when you got your first cool multieffects pedal and had to try everything all at once, and pretty soon it sounded like you were playing at the bottom of a swimming pool. Know what I mean?

bizzarrocass
bizzarrocass
Or maybe that's just me.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

Thanks everyone, and Skow69, I like your label (cute Pixie!), especially because "pia" means "booze" in Hungarian. I bet that some serious content hides behind that fairytaleish design. :)
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Paulinka wrote: "pia" means "booze" in Hungarian.
No kidding? Well, that is a happy coincidence. Casseopia was the Queen of Ethiopia in somebody's mythology. Also mother of Andromeda and the most beautiful woman in the world, which, of course, got her in big trouble. Some things never change. The hotter they are, the more trouble they're gonna be.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

My brother in law is a marketing guy, he made these for me. I just swap out the brew field, and write in the abv and distill date..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/899pbykmun91l ... m.jpg?dl=0
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

I like the texture, makes it look old.
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
It has been a beautiful Fight
Still Is

Work hard and say its easy...Cranky's Spoon Feeding
Concentric Still Build
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

thisguy wrote:I like the texture, makes it look old.
That's what we were going for :)
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

What paper do you use to print the Beer Labelizer labels? Do I need a particular printer or will my HP Inkjet work?
Those who stay...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Any paper. To make them wetproof get some laminate sheets from office supply and iron on topside only under a tshirt with your wife's iron on hot. Glue on bottles with very thin smear of elmers
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Having enjoyed these postings and pictures of labels for a couple of years now, we've got news. We've just gotten our trademark locked up, and are ready to move into the label design phase.

Any of you talented folks want to make a few bucks?

Boom
Last edited by BoomTown on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Due51 wrote:What paper do you use to print the Beer Labelizer labels? Do I need a particular printer or will my HP Inkjet work?
I don't waterproof my labels because I want them to be easily removed. I think hairspray works pretty well for sealing. As far as paper and printing, I have my wife email the designs to staples and usually just use whatever their regular paper is but sometimes I pay a few cents extra for a slightly thicker paper. I think it costs something like 50-55 cents a sheet which depending on the label makes 3-6 labels and they are way better copies than my home printer does and with the cost of Ink I think they probably don't cost any more. I use school glue sticks from Dollar Tree (4 sticks for $1) to apply them and it works great.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

I bought a 50-sheet pack of 8-1/2x11 sticker paper from office depot, I think it cost me $8. I use it mostly for hand-written labels on my bitters, infused alcohol, cellos etc. I also usually put a little hand written strip around my bottles of homemade wine, so I don't forget what is in it or when I made it. I have entered my beer in a couple of homebrewing competitions that had a "best label" category, being able to print out just one custom label at home was really nice and convenient. I thought this came out pretty slick too, scanned the original label and resized it to fit my jar:
everclear.jpg
everclear.jpg (16.11 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
That's the first home made liquor I've ever made a real label for though. Pretty much, if you're looking at an unlabeled bottle of liquor at my house and you don't already know what it is, it means I haven't told you what it is. That's clue #1 that it's none of your damn business :lol:
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

dstaines wrote:I bought a 50-sheet pack of 8-1/2x11 sticker paper from office depot, I think it cost me $8. I use it mostly for hand-written labels on my bitters, infused alcohol, cellos etc. I also usually put a little hand written strip around my bottles of homemade wine, so I don't forget what is in it or when I made it. I have entered my beer in a couple of homebrewing competitions that had a "best label" category, being able to print out just one custom label at home was really nice and convenient. I thought this came out pretty slick too, scanned the original label and resized it to fit my jar:
everclear.jpg
That's the first home made liquor I've ever made a real label for though. Pretty much, if you're looking at an unlabeled bottle of liquor at my house and you don't already know what it is, it means I haven't told you what it is. That's clue #1 that it's none of your damn business :lol:
Hope there's a teflon liner, on that jar, especially if its the same proof as true Everclear. Standards Mason jar lids and high proof don't play well together. My normal jars have them, but not my methanol for cleaning. Ended up eating the seal and leaking in my car, on the way to take it to my buddy, that wanted some. It had been in the car for a day and a half.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

BoomTown wrote:Having enjoyed these postings and pictures of labels for a couple of years now, we've got news. We've just gotten our trademark locked up, and are ready to move into the label design phase.

Boom
:?: you have my attention. send me a bit of a design brief on what you are looking for and ill see what i can come up with.

:D
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

WooTeck wrote:
BoomTown wrote:Having enjoyed these postings and pictures of labels for a couple of years now, we've got news. We've just gotten our trademark locked up, and are ready to move into the label design phase.

Boom
:?: you have my attention. send me a bit of a design brief on what you are looking for and ill see what i can come up with.

:D
Take him up on that boom. I once described a crazy idea I had and this man drew it up almost exactly as I imagined it. I forget what thread that was, meeting of the minds maybe?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

So I'm opening a old post that I enjoyed. I just joined beerlabilizer and made some labels for gifts!
IMG_0006.JPG
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
GSP
Novice

Post by GSP »

skeeterpeelabel.jpg.pdf
(812.15 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Like these guys have mentioned, I have also used labelizer for my beers for a few years. It is fun to put a custom label on a growler for parties or other special events and takes just a couple minutes to really make someones day.
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Here's what my labels and packaging looks like. It's a family of products concept. My spiced rum will have a burnt orange ribbon on the label, and my bourbon will have a red ribbon. The color of the font on the neck ribbon matches the ribbon on the front label.

Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Of course I use labels: I need to know what is in the bottle!
Because I prefer to store my alcohol at as high a % as possible, I need two labels. One for the high % with a warning not to drink it and one for the drinking strength.
For example:
The model of ethanol looked to me like a dog and the common name for a dog is Fikkie. An extra: "fikkie stoken" is common language for making a fire. On the backside of the bottle I stick the warning sign.
and:
For the drinking strength I diluted the word Fikkie, I found the photo of a bad looking dog (he had reasons, for he was abandoned!) and a warning: Perishable after opening.
jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jus teasin »

workin on it
Last edited by jus teasin on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jus teasin »

looks like I need more practice with pictures
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

never gifted any so no labels.
I use masking tape on the bottle to indicate what it is when I actually do bottle stuff, more often than not I just take it from the demijohn and cut with water
Don't be a dick
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Oh but Swedish Pride, you're missing something....the label makes you believe the liquor tastes better.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

still_stirrin wrote:Oh but Swedish Pride, you're missing something....the label makes you believe the liquor tastes better.
It's pretty, I give you that.
but to much effort for the likes of me, function over form always, I also have solder blobs everywhere on my builds :)
Don't be a dick
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Anymore my labels are pretty cryptic. Something like 3X, 100 proof, Aug 2016 – scribbled on a piece of tape. (3x means triple distilled). Used to print two types of wine labels; one for guys and another for polite people. Then I got tired of buying new ink cartridges every time I turned around, just to have them dry up before I used them.
laig1y.jpg
laig001.jpg
duck001.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

No new hooch labels recently, but here's a couple ideas I was tossin around for a new Belgian Farmhouse Ale I brewed up.
RyedeGard2sm.JPG
RyedeGardsm.JPG
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

My recent shot at a label, used Windows Paint and printed on some sticky labels from Wally World.
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Thought I would share a couple labels I designed recently since going down the rabbit hole and falling into this hobby...

For my Bourbon:
Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.09.54 PM.png