CIVILITY should make a comeback...here on HD

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

CIVILITY should make a comeback...here on HD

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I've just read a post that went sideways here on HD, *** should make a comeback...it was blocked and locked by the Mods..good work there guys. Before it was locked it turned into a real shit show...very personal and resentful. What should have started out as a joke, ended up pushing someone's bright red FU button, and the gloves came off...I know this is not the first time this has happened, but there are some simple things we can do, to make this far less frequent.

Treat everyone here with the same civility as you would like them to treat you...and you do that by asking yourself, "Is this an appropriate post to put on this forum, or could this truly upset someone"...and if you do post something and get a "fiery" response, don't add fuel the the fire with a "fiery" responce of your own...walk away, don't go tap dancing in a mine field....just saying.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
zed255
Distiller

Re: CIVILITY should make a comeback...here on HD

Post by zed255 »

The anonymity provided by the internet seems to make some people say (type) things to others they would never otherwise say face to face. This is certainly not unique to HD, but I do participate in other forums that this behaviour seems less frequent and I must say those other forums are quite enjoyable. Other sites where it is more common are not frequented nearly as much, if at all. I nearly abandoned HD very early due to some members handing my ass back to me right away.

I read and re-read anything I post, here or elsewhere, and work on being as clear and inoffensive as reasonably possible. If I would be uncomfortable saying it so someone I've just been introduced to I won't post it. If some meaningful rapport has developed with another member I may speak more like a personal friend, with added moderation on language and subject matter.

A modicum of respect and tact goes a looooong way to making things enjoyable for everyone.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

a world wide forum, don't read anything into anyone's posts. there are so many dialects, languages and idiosyncrasies that miscommunication is a given. without reading body language the interpretation of the written word can easily create even more miscommunication.

When i write an email IRL (in that i'm representing business, or attempting to get something done) i try my very best to not use the word "I" in the communication. It is very difficult here because we are all trying to communicate first hand experience and "I" is the way it's done...try it, it is very difficult to not include yourself in your communications...but remember it's all about me. For everyone.

some people find it difficult to state their position and pass the talking stick without losing their mind. The need for the last word is a powerful motivator to open one's mouth and place their foot firmly in it. it ain't an argument if you don't respond.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

F5466EEC-BD21-47D1-B78B-AB527972DF05.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

I have been on many boards and made more than my share of mistakes. It comes down to being a good guest in another persons home and having a good home owner that is fair and unbiased. If they treat everyone the same folks know where they stand if “crazy cousin Larry” can say anything folks feel bad when they can’t defend themselves. I am not saying that goes on here. It’s quite the contrary. Warnings should be sharp but “fatherly” and punishments strict. Simply warning a guy with thousands of posts is often enough.

It’s a good bunch of guys. I like being a part of this group.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
If I have offended anyone or stepped out of bounds, as apparently I have, I truly apologize.

I have come here to learn, to have some fun with some good people I have met, and to share my experiences with other noobs like myself.
And if anyone finds value in what I write here, they are welcome to share it on other forums as well. I take it as a compliment.

However not everyone shares those same opinions, starting near the top.

Since I am now being monitored here and other forums as well, I can assure you I won't be transporting ANYTHING across those lines.

Husker, I don't know how tongue in cheek you meant your sign to be.
Some people seem to have made a copy of it and placed it on top of their Bibles.

I got nothing else to say about this. Have a great week.
8)