Zombie Threads

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Zombie Threads

Post by Expat »

It seems recently to be happening more and more. People, particularly those who are new amongst us, are reviving threads which have been dead or dormant for a looooong time. Don't get me wrong, there are some cases in which it makes sense, particularly if you started the thread or previously contributed. But seriously what value is there in restarting threads to ask questions of members who haven't even logged in for years!?!

Anyone else notice this? Would there be value in locking long unused threads?

Thoughts :?:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Re: Zombie Threads

Post by fizzix »

We tell people to read, read, read, so that inevitably leads them into zombie thread territory and I believe they just lose track of chronology.
Also, there might be an aversion to starting a new thread only to be hit with "did you search the forum?"
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Expat wrote:It seems recently to be happening more and more. People, particularly those who are new amongst us, are reviving threads which have been dead or dormant for a looooong time. Don't get me wrong, there are some cases in which it makes sense, particularly if you started the thread or previously contributed. But seriously what value is there in restarting threads to ask questions of members who haven't even logged in for years!?!

I am old. Some of the threads are old. They could well still be of interest, in fact if they were then they probably are now.

To say ' restarting threads to ask questions of members who haven't even logged in for years!?!' is something of a red herring.

To get to the point there seems to be something of a forum etiquette that if something is old it is no longer useful or interesting. I say,...well I'd better NOT say....

'Would there be value in locking long unused threads? ' No, no, NO.

Geoff
The Baker
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Its definitely not a matter of value; there is of course a huge wealth of knowledge within all the threads.

The question is what value is there in reopening those old threads.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Agree with the above, there are some very old threads with great information in them , locking some of them would be a crime.
I don't see how locking threads by people like OD or kiwistiller and many others who haven't been here for ages benefits anyone.
If someone asks a question in one of those threads there are still plenty of people here capable of answering the question.
Keeping old threads alive is a good thing not bad in my opinion.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

For some of us I think it’s a combination. Of being new and excited about the hobby and just not paying attention. I myself posted on a thread that was almost a decade ago. On other forums I can like a post but here if I find something particularly helpful I like to show my appreciation and say thanks. Sometimes that redirects a long dead thread. I have caught myself a few times and deleted the thread.

Sorry for the trouble.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

would you rather see a new thread with an old question

or an old thread with a new question?

at least they are reading !

this is not a new phenomenon.
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Jeez who gives a rats.. .. I. See back in April I posted on a 2004 thread because what I had to say was relevant to that thread.
Coincidencely the guy who's method I was looking to who had not logged on for 5 or 6 years logged on so I took the opportunity to pm him a couple of quick questions, missed him by that much 99 and it still sits in my outbox :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I like it when a old thread is dug up. There's been many times a old thread appears and I've never read it and has great info,
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

+1 Gooman
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

One of the biggest bitches folk have about HD is the number of topics to search through when looking for stuff .
If relavant topic already exists then use it . ....thats got to reduce the overall number of various topics that are the same .
It also shows that you have done your looking and reading .
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

thecroweater wrote:Jeez who gives a rats.. .. I. See back in April I posted on a 2004 thread because what I had to say was relevant to that thread.
Coincidencely the guy who's method I was looking to who had not logged on for 5 or 6 years logged on so I took the opportunity to pm him a couple of quick questions, missed him by that much 99 and it still sits in my outbox :lol:
YES!

Geoff
The Baker
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Interesting that this topic seems much more polarized than I had expected. LOL

Yummy - I hear you, but at the same time the Google search function sorts through all the threads and is comically underused by many.

I for one do find it annoying when I see an interesting looking "new" thread only to find it's just bump of a old thread. I don't think it's just me, but either way that's fine. The conversation itself is useful.

Cross flow condenser
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Comparing older methods, techniques, and equipment to more current views fuels progress..Father time ifn ya will.
Now seeing and knowing there's another similar thread(s), some even on the same page, is nonsense and shows no respect or forum etiquette..The poached threads aren't ever as genuinely informative as the originals, just hijacked without class, or evidently any basic research.
Data that could be all found together, newbie-like separated and turned mostly off topic ..Et least they're not screwing up the original with off topic info, an insult to the op's time and effort and respected experienced hard work.
Be the same folks, mostly overzealous newbs don't know what they don't know..Basically just rewording the subject line and stealing the thread..I disregard them.
Posters reputation and knowledge base Always shows through..
Plenty folks come and go, building post counts till satisfying their ego, then disappear.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I write on a dead tread to tag it for later reading...I can always find it if it's in my "view your posts"...but trying to find a tread again an a general search, not happening...too old and ratty attituded for that shit.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Expat wrote:It seems recently to be happening more and more. People, particularly those who are new amongst us, are reviving threads which have been dead or dormant for a looooong time. Don't get me wrong, there are some cases in which it makes sense, particularly if you started the thread or previously contributed. But seriously what value is there in restarting threads to ask questions of members who haven't even logged in for years!?!

two cents.jpg
two cents.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 926 times
I'm a Noob and I'll see a resurrected thread that has value.
And sometimes I make a comment so I can keep tabs on it.
It may be new people making the comments, but the subject still has merit.
One suggestion if space is an issue.
A lot of long threads includes a lot of, "uh huh, I'm going to try that next time"
It may be too much trouble, but when one of these pops up, maybe an admin could delete a lot of the unnecessary comments.
:D
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

thecroweater wrote:.... missed him by that much 99.......
Would you believe a 4”, 6 plate flute with an 18” shotgun condenser? How about a 2” VM with a 1/2” Liebig? How about a tabletop pot still with a worm condenser?

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

:lol: good one
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

TDick wrote: I'm a Noob and I'll see a resurrected thread that has value.
And sometimes I make a comment so I can keep tabs on it.
It may be new people making the comments, but the subject still has merit.
One suggestion if space is an issue.
A lot of long threads includes a lot of, "uh huh, I'm going to try that next time"
It may be too much trouble, but when one of these pops up, maybe an admin could delete a lot of the unnecessary comments. :D
there is a bookmark feature at the bottom of every page

to keep tabs on threads you want to save for reference.
be water my friend
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I've been on this site for almost six years and I've never seen the Bookmark flag...blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
strawman
Novice

Post by strawman »

fizzix wrote:We tell people to read, read, read, so that inevitably leads them into zombie thread territory and I believe they just lose track of chronology.
Also, there might be an aversion to starting a new thread only to be hit with "did you search the forum?"
+ 1

You can't have it both ways. One of the big takeaways from the beginners lounge is "read read read". Due to the sheer quantity of information on this site, it will take noobs down some pretty strange rabbit holes (I know, because I am one and I've been down them). A lot of times, those old posts will come close to answer the questions we have, but not answer them fully.

I do agree that the Google search feature is probably under utilized. But it is far from a silver bullet solution to answering all questions.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

kiwi Bruce wrote:I've been on this site for almost six years and I've never seen the Bookmark flag...blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
kiwi; when you are logged in, at the bottom of the page is a bar that starts with

board index, if you want to bookmark that page click on bookmark.

your bookmarks are stored in your user control panel, under overview.
be water my friend
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Thanks cob...I see ! ..."said the blind man as he pissed into the wind...It's all coming back to me !"

Jokes aside...Thanks cob !
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Ain't nothing wrong with "Zombie Threads" :lol:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

anybody bookmark this thread yet, just to test out that "new" feature? :)
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

cob wrote:
kiwi Bruce wrote:I've been on this site for almost six years and I've never seen the Bookmark flag...blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
kiwi; when you are logged in, at the bottom of the page is a bar that starts with

board index, if you want to bookmark that page click on bookmark.

your bookmarks are stored in your user control panel, under overview.

Thank you!!!!!