beer flavoured whisky

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

beer flavoured whisky

Post by HDNB »

i'm watching shameless on netflix. gets to a part where Frank is making what he calls beer on some kind homemade brewing system that looks like it was interbred with a still.
the product looks like beer, brown with a head on it but h,e describes it as "ten times as strong" that would be like 50% around here.

obviously just some hollywood story line but it got me thinking...wonder what it would taste like?

whaddya think? on a scale of

:sick: :shock: :wtf: :thumbdown: :| :roll: :D :thumbup: :ebiggrin: :twisted:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: beer flavoured whisky

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Allot of what I distill is brown, or black.

I do a piggy back on every beer I make. So, I have to say, pretty damn good ?

Not the Hollywood story, but the actual hopless beer recipe :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I recently bought a bottle of whiskey from a craft distillery made from hops. I have to say I am not a big IPA person but this is a pretty smooth drop.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

I guess it would be something close to Sam Adams Utopia.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

A fortified beer? Not unlike the way a port tastes compared to a wine. Alcoholic, warming, and perhaps even a little medicinal.

I’ve had a fortified beer before...untypical and unusual. But not unpleasant. Great if all you’re after is a quick drunk. But, I like beer for the malt flavors. I particularly enjoy a good German doppelbock. Or a Belgian trippel. Even a good English barleywine satisfies my taste buds.

The fortified beer simply isn’t like these “strong brewed” beers. The body suffers due to the alcohol diluting the dextrinous character. And it reduces the maltiness (flavor and aroma) as well.

Can you do it....sure...I’ve done it. Would I recommend it...sure...find out for yourself what it does to a good beer when you add alcohol to it. Will it make it great...probably not.
ss

Edited to add- I’ve sampled some classic Eisbocks. If made properly, they can be very nice. But, Eisbocks are “freeze distilled”...jacked if you will. And we know that freeze jacking concentrates all the properties including the flavors, acid levels, aromas, and even the body. So, in a beer, freeze jacking isn’t as harmful as simply fortifying with alcohol. Huge difference in the finished product.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

http://newhollandbrew.com/spirits/beer-barrel-bourbon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

still_stirrin wrote:

............. Eisbocks are “freeze distilled”...jacked if you will. And we know that freeze jacking concentrates all the properties including the flavors, acid levels, aromas, and even the body. So, in a beer, freeze jacking isn’t as harmful as simply fortifying with alcohol. Huge difference in the finished product.
I tried that long ago, before I knew how to make apparatus. Yes it concentrates everything and no, I didn't care for it, although it was a bit like a concentrated Barley wine (which I do quite like).
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

You know, I was a few into it last night, and completely misunderstood what you were describing :oops: .
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:You know, I was a few into it last night, and completely misunderstood what you were describing :oops: .
Lol - I'm sure we all do that sometimes !

Good to hear that "the hierarchy" are not imune to the "hazards of the hobby" ! :thumbup: