So

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

So

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Went to a punk rock show Saturday about an hour from where I live. Some guy started chatting me up because he liked the band on my sweatshirt. Eventually asked me what I was drinking and told him some rye. He told me he makes his own whiskey so I said yeh, so do I, ever read homedistiller? Turns out this is where he learned and he had a bit of his hooch on him so I got my first sample of a HD user's product.

Small world!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: So

Post by pfshine »

That's awesome. Just goes to show this is not such a small hobby anymore.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Small world indeed!

Did you let on about your connection?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by WIski »

PF Wrote'
That's awesome. Just goes to show this is not such a small hobby anymore.
Ya I get more and more people telling me about their "Hobby".

Lots more in this thread from a while back......... viewtopic.php?f=47&t=44299
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I can't picture the Uncle Jesse avatar character (Denver Pyle) moshing at some punkfest, so I've created an imagined spiked pink hair leather boy with ear gauges
and cheek and tongue piercings who by day runs a great international distilling website.

Disturbing.

But don't get me wrong. I'm down with the sickness.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Never judge a person by their avatar. Years ago I was on the east coast and going to meet up with GA flatwoods. After talking to him on the cell phone getting directions I turned to my wife and asked "how old to you think he is", she said not sure and then I replied I am guessing he is pushing 80. Didn't realize I forgot to hang up and he heard every word. :D
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Hey UJ, did you reveal your HD identity? :silent:
Was he an active poster?
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Heh. first one? I consider myself lucky to be building a library of fellow shiner's hootch. i think i'm at 8 products now.

MCH wins with the nocino and SLTM's UJSSM is amazing. Cranky put together a care package from bearriver's get together a few years ago, the bottles in my avatar...all excellent! and Moosemilk makes some damn fine rum.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

fizzix wrote:I can't picture the Uncle Jesse avatar character (Denver Pyle) moshing at some punkfest, so I've created an imagined spiked pink hair leather boy with ear gauges
and cheek and tongue piercings who by day runs a great international distilling website.

Disturbing.

But don't get me wrong. I'm down with the sickness.
Survived punk rock since the early 80's with no tattoos or piercings.

But yeh, it's my jam.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Yeh guys I told him "That's my website. I'm Uncle Jesse" and he was blown away. That's when he said "oh, you gotta sample this!" and we found some privacy so he could pour some and we wouldn't get ejected before the show started!

He said he hasn't been on for a few years but he read, read some more, read even more, asked a few questions, experimented, failed, experimented again, failed, repeat until success. Just like the rest of us.

He called out a few members by name. I think prairiepiss was one of them. He knew who I was immediately though. Pretty funny!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Uncle Jesse wrote: But yeh, it's my jam.
It's been a few years, but I was standing right next to the stage when a wadded up cardboard drink box came flying out of the crowd and pegged Joey Ramone square in the forehead.

Joey raised his fist and shook it at the anonymous perp, yelling redfaced into the mike... "YOU FUCKER!!!!!!!!"

It was in the middle of a song and the rest of the band never missed a beat. (Musta been pretty common)

I'm still laughing about it.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Uncle Jesse wrote:...so I got my first sample of a HD user's product.
I know where you could get some more... :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=67752

That must have been pretty satisfying.
I bet you’ve crossed paths with many more members without knowing, we’re everywhere!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

That is kewl man!
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Twisted Brick wrote:
Uncle Jesse wrote: But yeh, it's my jam.
It's been a few years, but I was standing right next to the stage when a wadded up cardboard drink box came flying out of the crowd and pegged Joey Ramone square in the forehead.

Joey raised his fist and shook it at the anonymous perp, yelling redfaced into the mike... "YOU FUCKER!!!!!!!!"

It was in the middle of a song and the rest of the band never missed a beat. (Musta been pretty common)

I'm still laughing about it.
Nice!

Saw The Damned on their Phantasmagoria tour in what, 1985? in Lexington, KY. They did all that stuff at double speed. During the show Captain Sensible took a full beer can off the forehead. He just glared into the crowd angrily without missing a beat while some stage hand came out with a towel and wiped his face off.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:...
I bet you’ve crossed paths with many more members without knowing, we’re everywhere!
We could have ruled the world, if we were not busy mashing, stilling and drinking
Don't be a dick
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Prolly wasn't the only beer can to bounce off.
Seen it happen a few times.
John Mellencamp was drunk and couldn't perform, shoutn profanities at the crowd, then a fifth bottle of Jack Daniels hit him in his chest..
He started hollering and cussn, slung it back out in the crowd and yelled "f%$k Evansville, I'll never be back.."
25 yrs later, he came back..That was it tho.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Saw the Ramones many times in the 80's and 90's, as well as Dead Kennedys in the early 80's. Just saw (not punk) the Drive by Truckers on Tuesday, and they finished with a Ramones song.

Couldn't take any product in though, they even made me empty my pockets and take my little pocket knife back to the car. I've lost a lot of pocket knives over the years to airports, court houses, and now potentially rock shows.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

bilgriss wrote: Couldn't take any product in though, they even made me empty my pockets and take my little pocket knife back to the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Hide-Your-Booze- ... SGDGP5J4FF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

bilgriss wrote:Saw the Ramones many times in the 80's and 90's, as well as Dead Kennedys in the early 80's. Just saw (not punk) the Drive by Truckers on Tuesday, and they finished with a Ramones song.

Couldn't take any product in though, they even made me empty my pockets and take my little pocket knife back to the car. I've lost a lot of pocket knives over the years to airports, court houses, and now potentially rock shows.
Dead Kennedy’s were my first concert.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

California Uber Alles, Uber Alles Ca li fornia

Great fn band!

Still love the sex pistols too!
Shit man, I'm headed to Pandora now to have a night cap of the punk stuff.

Been jammin Clutch all day running the still, time for a change tonight.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Shine0n wrote:California Uber Alles, Uber Alles Ca li fornia

Great fn band!

Still love the sex pistols too!
Shit man, I'm headed to Pandora now to have a night cap of the punk stuff.

Been jammin Clutch all day running the still, time for a change tonight.
7th grade, heard the Sex Pistols and it blew me away. "Holidays In The Sun" still one of my favorite songs ever. I have that 1st press 7".
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I still have a few from then too

The Germs, the cramps, 7 seconds, Suicidal Tendencies, Dead milkmen, GBH, hell I'm gunna have to bring the record player with me on vacation just to hear the white noise. lol
Good stuff
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

ShineOn, I have the same stuff. Lots of old vinyl that can't be replaced. So at least two copies of each in VA.

I knew a guy who roomed in L.A. (playing in a punk band) who briefly roomed in a place where apparently Stiv Bators was staying, and briefly Jello Biafra. Story goes, one night Stiv plays a prank and hangs some dead animal over Jello's bed while he slept. Last night he stayed in the place. I have no reason to think it's a true story, but it was told as such. Also no reason to believe it wasn't true.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Twisted Brick, you aren't advocating plastic, are you? :wink:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

For as short a time it would be there and at 80p it should be fine.?.? :econfused:

in a couple months, slayer, lamb of god, testament and anthrax are playing... I'm so there.

Lamb of God is right up the road in Richmond and they like to play small venues time to time, I like that much more than big ass arenas. I think that's why I go to small shows, a little more personal.

Neil Fallon from clutch could point me out as he's seen me for the last 21 years at every show they play in Richmond and Norfolk.

My buddy and I were at aley catz in Richmond 10 years ago and after the show we sat at the edge of the stage, well Hank 111 came out on stage and talked with us till 5 am. That's one of the most humble stars I've ever met, he really liked my corn likker too!

So many stories to tell, I was blessed with a friend who worked the sound and lights at most of the shows back when.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

heh. i feel so manly, my first concert was the Bay City Rollers. :lol: i was 9 or10 and i got to go with my big sis and her 13 yr,old girl posse. :lol: all dressed up in their plaid scarves and pleated short skirts :shock:

never got to see a lot of the more eclectic bands, the big names like ac/dc, kiss and triumph came through town. :lol: it was hard to find shows like Ramones and sex pistols- the ones i really wanted to see!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Never got to see the sex pistols or the ramones, but my dad took me in 78 (5 years old) to see kiss, my mom made home take me. lol

I don't remember shit but noise and lights. Oh... and boobs, that's the same year I went to my first Mardi Gras. More boobs :thumbup:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

bilgriss wrote:Twisted Brick, you aren't advocating plastic, are you? :wink:
Definitely not, especially for distilling. For some reason, I thought these types of containers were alcohol-safe, (for an hour or two at least) or they would have been yanked off the market by now.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Shine0n wrote:I still have a few from then too

The Germs, the cramps, 7 seconds, Suicidal Tendencies, Dead milkmen, GBH, hell I'm gunna have to bring the record player with me on vacation just to hear the white noise. lol
Good stuff
Seen 7 Seconds many times. Seen GBH as well. Have albums by the others you mentioned.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Shine0n wrote:For as short a time it would be there and at 80p it should be fine.?.? :econfused:

in a couple months, slayer, lamb of god, testament and anthrax are playing... I'm so there.

Lamb of God is right up the road in Richmond and they like to play small venues time to time, I like that much more than big ass arenas. I think that's why I go to small shows, a little more personal.

Neil Fallon from clutch could point me out as he's seen me for the last 21 years at every show they play in Richmond and Norfolk.

My buddy and I were at aley catz in Richmond 10 years ago and after the show we sat at the edge of the stage, well Hank 111 came out on stage and talked with us till 5 am. That's one of the most humble stars I've ever met, he really liked my corn likker too!

So many stories to tell, I was blessed with a friend who worked the sound and lights at most of the shows back when.
I have huge respect for Hank III.