6.4 diesel : all you gear heads

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

6.4 diesel : all you gear heads

Post by Truckinbutch »

Little late to the dance in askin . SOH and I are headed out to buy a motorhome with a 2008 Powerstroke 6.4 diesel in the morning . 4,400 miles . That's right , 4,400 miles . Doubt that the rings have fully seated in 2 MD to FL and back trips .
Game plan is to take it directly to a home shop to delete the EGR and upgrade the computer 100 hp or so . Conventional wisdom says the stock engine is expected to fail at 150k miles . Upgrades and tlc will garner 300 k + .
Opinions ? Bueller ? Bueller ?
Anybody ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
TDick
Distiller

Re: 6.4 diesel : all you gear heads

Post by TDick »

Sounds like a blast Butch!
Two thoughts:
1. We were looking for a place to stay near Yellowstone last year with very little reasonable success.
Through AirBnB some of the options were RV's and travel trailers hooked up at parks near the entrance at West Yellowstone.
Those were mostly booked at $200 per night.
Lot of folks around here have them for football season and I thought it would be great to drive out there before the summer hordes arrive.
When you are ready to go home, leave the RV to rent through the season then fly back out to pick it up as the seasons change.
It is a major bucket list item. (We are going back in May. Beats the hell out of the beach)

2. You mentioned Maryland. Keep heading north and travel Maine in August to watch the colors change. Another bucket list item.

3. HAVE FUN!
:D :D
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

egr delete is a good idea i had one that leaked. that same engine failed on slug#4 melting an hole when the injector stuck open (at 150K miles)
i ran a diablo predator on another. it was insane f-350 blow the doors off sports cars no problem. in extreme it would develop 850+hp and insane torque. i don't know what the final problem was with that engine, i trailered it to a dealer off loaded it a block away and limped it into the lot and bought new one....at 150k miles
the FICM will fail if the batteries wear down..it needs full power and lots of it to keep the injectors running...which may be the whole problem with both those engine^^^ get the best batteries money can buy and change them 2.5 to 3 years.
and of course high grade clean oil...the electric injectors also have a high pressure oil line and the oil works hard. synthetic for sure.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

TB, nice score on the RV. I'd definitely do the egr delete on anything I own, gas too.

I'd love to see a RV smoke a sports car
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

hellbilly007 wrote:TB, nice score on the RV. I'd definitely do the egr delete on anything I own, gas too.

I'd love to see a RV smoke a sports car

Queue up the Ringbrothers

How does a 900hp supercharged Winnebago sound?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... of-insane/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'm sitting in my motorhome right now
:)
But this is just a hello to a fellow camper, mine probably had 4400 miles on it 44 years ago!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for the input , folks . We landed back here yesterday afternoon intact . As is it is a bull bitch I Easy cruise at 70+ . Topped mountains on I68 WB at 65mph with room to spare .
Upgrades I'm planning should make it a wheel spinner if I kick it in the ass .
Not a showboater , just don't want my fellow truckers to have reason to swear at me on a grade like we used to do at all those slow RV's .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

TDick wrote:Sounds like a blast Butch!
Two thoughts:
1. We were looking for a place to stay near Yellowstone last year with very little reasonable success.
Through AirBnB some of the options were RV's and travel trailers hooked up at parks near the entrance at West Yellowstone.
Those were mostly booked at $200 per night.
Lot of folks around here have them for football season and I thought it would be great to drive out there before the summer hordes arrive.
When you are ready to go home, leave the RV to rent through the season then fly back out to pick it up as the seasons change.
It is a major bucket list item. (We are going back in May. Beats the hell out of the beach)

2. You mentioned Maryland. Keep heading north and travel Maine in August to watch the colors change. Another bucket list item.

3. HAVE FUN!
:D :D
Nice suggestions for some bucket lists .
We'll let our own family fart in the sheets . No rentals .
Been to the NE .
Simply put : if I can't take my EDC piece ; I ain't goin there . I'll stick to coyotes in the west , hogs in Texas , redfish in LA , and home made cane syrup in GA .
justsomeguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by justsomeguy »

Sorry for the late reply. I did my 6.7 in November. HS mini max EGR/DPF/DEF delete 4 inch straight pipe turbo back. Its awesome. I bought mine from diesel ops. Great customer service and best prices I could find. Its an easy mod. let me know if I can help anymore.
45 ACP..... Turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

justsomeguy wrote:Sorry for the late reply. I did my 6.7 in November. HS mini max EGR/DPF/DEF delete 4 inch straight pipe turbo back. Its awesome. I bought mine from diesel ops. Great customer service and best prices I could find. Its an easy mod. let me know if I can help anymore.
Thanks for the input .
Cranked up the Onan 3600LP generator and checked the hour meter . It had 1 minutes run time on it .
In effect , we are starting out with a brand new motor home .