Alchemist re examines his motives

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Alchemist re examines his motives

Post by Alchemist75 »

Originally I started distilling way back in the day as a means of preparing certain types of medicines. I'd be lying if I said I never used my knowledge of plants and chemistry to make fun stuff but largely I was interested in trying to help my mother who had been diagnosed with RA when I was about 19. Ultimately I went through college to get a formal education in herbal medicine and phyto chem and from there into what will likely be a lifelong career. Mom passed in 2006 due to a lifetime of heavy drinking and drug abuse, I couldn't save her and that left me shattered. I did it all for her and each day I work my trade her spectre lurks in the background driving me on.
I didn't use my distillation gear to start making hooch until about 9 years ago when I met my best friend who drinks quite a bit. I drank occasionally at that point but was largely sober. Distilling booze was just an excuse for he and I to hang out. The small and infrequent runs of product exploded into an ongoing thing in the last few years as I began to do my own ferments and upgraded my equipment. I started drinking a lot more once things really got rolling as I had plenty of product laying about. I just keep making larger volumes over time and I drink regularly. Momma died because of alcoholism and I had never intended to use my equipment and knowledge to make poison. I wanted to make better medicine to help myself and others in her memory. Now that I have a column set up I can produce tincture grade ethanol for a fraction of the price of buying it. I can make medicine to help the sick a lot cheaper and provide to those who can't afford much for a cutthroat price.....
Gotta stop drinking this stuff, I could put it to better use. It'd be a bitter irony if I fell prey to the same evil that killed momma using the very skills I learned in an attempt to heal her. This is the part where I decide to stop drinking, for good. Maybe a nip now and then but not every damned night. I'll keep running but what I do with that product has to change. My little one has sensory processing issues and I know ways to improve her outcome. I can make certain things to help her. I need to get on it, times a wasting.....
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alchemist re examines his motives

Post by Pikey »

Hi Alchemist,

Helping people is good !

But bear in mind - you have a life too and are entitled to enjoy it. :D

Some of us feel the need to control our intake and we do it in different ways - I never drink at all before 7 pm and I never drink at home before 9pm (Half an hour to go before my first of the evening ! 8) ) I put that rule in place many years ago when the kids were little and I used to make wine.

Your start in life was clearly not the best - but you've worked it out and you have nothing to feel guilty about.

I hope you do manage to think it through, so that you can still enjoy the company of your best mate and a few jars. He sounds like one of the good things in your life.

Your choice of course - I'll be thinking of you when I raise my first glass this evening. 8)
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you may have noticed my sig line...or not.

as fascinated as i am with the process, the equipment, the chemistry and the flavours i'm all but a non drinker now.

i simply found things i enjoy more than a buzz. no holier than thou sermons here...it's more a case of the things i want to still do are further away than walking will take me and "they" are all kinds of militant about consumption and driving. There's enough crazy assholes on the road to deal with sober, i need every advantage i can get just to make it home it seems these days.

i'm sure some people think i'm a bit loopy with the crazy amounts of booze i produce for aging...all the while not drinking it. I think my ambitions are not as noble and noteworthy as medicine...somewhere deep i'm hoping for an opportunity to win some legitimate awards one day and have produced something fine enough to gain notoriety as a pappy van winkle or port ellen. It would be a cool legacy.

maybe one day i'll find enjoyment in sipping some world famous founder's reserve in the comfort of my easy chair. 8)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Yesterday, when I was running a spirit run of Triticum monococcum my doctor called me. They had found some very serious results about my liver function in my blood test.
Clearly it was serious enough for her to call me on her own initiative.
Other than you, Alchemist, I have no good reason to make alcohol.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Kareltje wrote:Yesterday, when I was running a spirit run of Triticum monococcum my doctor called me. They had found some very serious results about my liver function in my blood test.
Two things for you to investigate my friend:
Milk thistle and kudzu. These two plants contain the only known natural compounds that can repair damaged liver tissue. If you want more info let me know....
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

In fact, had I given it more thought I would have had my mother taking these 20 years ago and I might have been able to extend her life long enough to meet her grandson....
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Alchemist75 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:Yesterday, when I was running a spirit run of Triticum monococcum my doctor called me. They had found some very serious results about my liver function in my blood test.
Milk thistle and kudzu. These two plants contain the only known natural compounds that can repair damaged liver tissue. If you want more info let me know....
I looked for the Dutch name melkdistel: Sonchus spp. But a warning: the English word milk thistle is used for Silybum marianum.
Judging by the description of the medicinal use of the latter that is indeed the herb you mean. Thanks!
Kudzu, Pueraria montana, is interesting too. Thanks again. (We already have a invasive Japanese plant around here: Fallopia japonica. :twisted: )

I do not know what to say about your mother, because I know absolutely nothing about your situation. But, judging by the information you shared with us, I doubt that you could have extended her life very long. It seems to me you have done all you could in the circumstances then. The knowledge of here and now can not be applied there and then, not without time machine.
We in turn can maybe be saved by therapy that is discovered a decade from now.

I would be interested in more info on Silybum marianum and Pueraria montana. Maybe by pm?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

My best wishes go twards you, I too drink very little and sometimes nothing for months.
I have a family history of drug and alcohol abuse, I followed that path for a good deal of time in my 20's , I've buried many friends and a fist full of family members due to that thing, I decided in my early 30's to slow down on the drinks which I did and haven't smoked a J in 15 ish years.
I don't have the higher education, I'm just a simple blue collar man. I've not lost my momma but just thinking about it is just the tip of what you have felt. I'm sorry for the loss and from what you've posted, you did what you could've then.
Now it's time for you to live for you and the family you have. Enjoy it, cherish it and love everyday as if it's your last!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Alchemist75 wrote:
All the best to both of you.

Two things. Long ago someone told me about Floressence aka Essiac tea. I was told great stories about it's effectiveness with cancer, but had forgotten about it when I started my chemo. Last year I was devastated when I found out my pet/best friend Labrador had lymphoma. I brewed some tea and started him on it but he was much too far gone.

To the point, I have wondered about doing a Floressence infusion version like a gin. Are you familiar with it?
The-History-of-Flor-Essence-Tea

Also as far as kudzu, it it the same variety that rules the South? If so, I can harvest it by the ton!
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

@ kareltje: yes, I'll pm you about those two herbs in a bit and if you feel inclined to give more details I might be able to advise you in other ways. There were a number of things I could have done to postpone the inevitable with my mom actually, part of the problem was that her doctors kept throwing away certain key things that I was giving her. I could have helped her with two of the primary reasons she died but I would have had to be there 24/7 to ensure she got them and protect her best interest. At least I got to tell her goodbye and that her children would be okay. I've since helped many others overcome the exact things that killed her with shining success. I have a bit of a vendetta in that realm, what killed her could have been stopped, and fast. It was a life lesson and I've used it to help empower many whom the medical system has failed. Dammit, you will not die because of this is my battle cry. Anyway, I do now what I can where I can and for little profit unfortunately but that's the life of an herbalist. It's ideal driven.
@ tdick: yes, essiac has a strong history with treating cancers and tumors, fairly high success rate assuming it's used aggressively. In addition the various adaptogenic mushrooms: reishi, cordyceps, shitake, turkey tail, lions mane etc. Have an outstanding track record with treating cancers, also to be used aggressively. For life threatening conditions it always requires aggressive methods even in lieu of allopathic treatments. They can work together well in some cases. Unlike some of my peers I don't object to mainstream approaches but I do believe in an integrated philosophy of healing. Allopathy saves many lives each year but they struggle with chronic conditions and proper prevention as well as a number of other disease states that someone like me offers reasonable solutions to. It's complicated in my mind, lot of ethical and spiritual reasons I feel the way I do and as I pointed out, the path that led me to the fine art of making good hooch began in the healing arts. Sigh, I just don't want anyone to suffer even though I know that's an unrealistic wish.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Oh, and in terms of an essiac gin:
The herbs found in the formula don't lend themselves well to distillation and the constituents in them are largely water soluble. You could prepare a etoh/h2o extract of them at a lower abv%, 25-30% range would work. In terms of the flavor, it's intensely bitter so in the context of using it as a beverage it would probably be an exotic mixer, an unusual species of bitters.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

I have been ré examining m'y motives lately also.
I could benefit from a long term cease.
I don't drink but on weekends.
And sometimes i wonder why i endulge even then.
I don't get drunk,but i could find better use of m'y time
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Probably 10 years ago my doctor informed me of slightly elevated liver enzymes. My response was to abstain for the upcoming calendar quarter (Jan 1 - Mar 31) which prompted my enzymes to return to normal levels. I have repeated this faithfully every new year since.

Since I started stilling last fall, I slipped a few times in the new year, but my motives now are about taste, quality, and aging, and not about soothing the accumulation of a life's worth of aches and pains.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I will probably continue to make liquor for drinking given the level of effort I've put into it at this point and the pride involved. I am however going to start using some of that product to make tinctures and other preparations. Again, the overall cost of making it is pretty low, actually hella low. A fifth of 93% is a fraction of the price of everclear which is awesome.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Sad to read about your mother, some things are just out of our hands. Functional alcoholism is generational in my family. Our ancestors were probably drunk on the boat ride to the Americas. Im the only living male in the family that is not an alcoholic, (oddly probably the least successful male in the family) and even I throw back a shot probably 4 nights a week (if not busy).
Ethanol seems to be the fuel that my people run best on. Those that dont die young in auto or boating accidents hit the grave pickled at an old age.
I also started distilling for a larger cause. That cause being realized, the pride keeps me in it.