Cancer and other medical shit.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Cancer and other medical shit.

Post by Bushman »

Went to an eye doctor yesterday as when driving at night I am seeing flashes. The jell in the back part of the socket is separating. Go back in a month unless the other eye starts to separate before that. Might need eye surgery in the future. This must all be part of the aging process for some of us!
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Bushman,
I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my left eye to this at age 55 (10 yrs ago) and have had 6 operations on my right eye since the week after Thanksgiving. The good news is that I’m apparently healing and hope to be back to pre-surgery vision by September. I’ve spent most of the last 3 months blind and have just started getting blurry vision back in the last 3 weeks. I’m typing this using a 3 layer jewelers hood with the little monocle and the iPad about 6” from my face. As you can imagine, no ”hobbling” for me right now.

Rather than bore everyone else with my problems, PM me if you want any further “insight”. The main rule is that eye/retinal issues are immediate emergencies. Time is critical. Take care and be very careful.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Odin wrote:Some gross numbers:

In 1910 around 5% of the people would get cancer. In 1930, the number rises to 1:15. When we enter the 1950's, the statistics rise to 1:10. The 70's see the number of people who get cancer in their life rise to 1:5. Currently the number is worse than 1:3.

People born in 1930 had a 10% chance of becoming (pre) diabetic. 15% is the number 20 years later. In the 70's we see another rise to 35%. Currently 85% of the people now born will get this horrible desease. LWTCS makes a very important point about insulin resistance. Insuline is a hormone whose production is triggered by sugar consumption. There is a strong connection between the two (cancer and diabetics as well as both stats). Here's what I found to be a great clue (thanks Dr. Warburg):

Healthy cells can derive energy from both fat and sugar (lipids and carbohydrates). Cancer cells can only get their energy from sugar / carbohydrates. Ok, there is a bit more to it, but this is a major one.

Odin.
Lots of research now seems to be showing that sugar is tasty, slow-acting poison.

Let the yeast eat it first, then you drink the waste products. Much healthier. 8)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Odin wrote:Some gross numbers:

In 1910 around 5% of the people would get cancer. In 1930, the number rises to 1:15. When we enter the 1950's, the statistics rise to 1:10. The 70's see the number of people who get cancer in their life rise to 1:5. Currently the number is worse than 1:3.

People born in 1930 had a 10% chance of becoming (pre) diabetic. 15% is the number 20 years later. In the 70's we see another rise to 35%. Currently 85% of the people now born will get this horrible desease. LWTCS makes a very important point about insulin resistance. Insuline is a hormone whose production is triggered by sugar consumption. There is a strong connection between the two (cancer and diabetics as well as both stats). Here's what I found to be a great clue (thanks Dr. Warburg):

Healthy cells can derive energy from both fat and sugar (lipids and carbohydrates). Cancer cells can only get their energy from sugar / carbohydrates. Ok, there is a bit more to it, but this is a major one.

Odin.
Yep.
Insulin signaling is super critical for building muscle.
Similarly, rampant insulin signaling also helps to grow cancer.
Minimize the insulin signal and reduce the risk of cancer.

Tons of data that does indeed confirm.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Btw, insulin only has one job.
And that is to shuttle sugar out of your blood.
It will either shuttle the sugar (carbohydrate) to your muscle in the form of fuel (glycogen).
Or will store the sugar in the form of fat.

This is why it is super important to force your muscle to "ask" for fuel by increasing activity levels.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yep. And insulin also ruins testosteron levels. Which is really bad for muscle build-up as well as (male) brain function. And some other shit of course.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Furthermore, high blood sugar levels (too many carbs and/or low insuline sensitivity) damages LDL cholesterol, the vehicles for fatty acid / ketone distribution. The damage hampers the liver taking them out of circulation when they are done. Due to the damage the body does not recognize 'm anymore. Now excess damaged LDL cholesterol clogs up the blood stream and inflames the cardiovascular system. Damage is repaired with calcium deposits. And when they break up, its those deposits that can cause stroke and heart attack.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Odin ; I am a proponent of out of the box medical thinking, however this cancer forces me into the box.

having said that the diabetes is being addressed in a more non conventional fashion. within 30 days of

that diagnosis I lowered my a1c by 1.9 points. the md said she had never seen any one lower a1c that

rapidly so I continue on my path. now since sept I have reduced my body mass by 20% understanding that

reducing the fat on my liver and pancreas will improve my insulin effectiveness. now none of my other

alternative medical practices address cancer or diabetes they are far enough out of main stream that

they are not suitable for general public discussion. NO not anything to do with pot or other drugs.

this is one that is available on your side of the pond but not mine. https://www.medicaldaily.com/heart-dise ... ano-278992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be water my friend
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

cob, sounds like you're attacking both the diabetes and the cancer head on and from multiple directions.

Here's to beating them both.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I have become very interested in herbal medicine, I know that there is at least one other person on the forums, who is also...but I won't reveal who it is without their say-so. It's also called "alternative medicine" It has helped my and mine overcome some serious health issues. It was very big when I lived in Germany too. Anyone else into it? If so, is there enough interest to start an independent thread on the subject?
Example...five years ago I was 255lb, that's 155.6 kilos boys and girls...seriously over weight, I drink hibiscus tea, mornings and evenings with a "very loosely" controlled diet...I like to drink...HELLO! "loosely controlled" However...I'm down to 180lb that's 53.5 kilos. I must admit I feel great...just one example of herbal help...Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Been taking my 88-yo step-dad to all his appointments for the last year-and-a-half, the most troublesome scheduling and delivery issues coming from his appointments with the VA.

Well, hopefully no longer!

Today Donald Trump signed into law the ability to use your own private doctor and just bill the VA, who will pick up the tab. For sure there's fine print to sift through, but the headlines claim that hospital and private physician visits are now covered.

Veterans Act
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Hopefuly it is what it is supposed to be. i drove my dad to New Haven VA the last few years of hes life and my sister and BIL did it for years before I retired. The VA was great to dad and I bless them for all there work. But these guys my dad needed help closer to home and I know he hated asking for assistance but he also new he was to weak to drive the interstate. Hope they get it right. Wifey is retiring soon and I'll be off her Insurance an on the VA. We will see.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

cob,

I'd been thinking about you and this thread and hoping you and the others here are doing well. How's the recovery going?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

It's maintenance for the cancer the chemo sucks but it's not radiation. currently i'm in another break from chemo

in theory I need to be clear for 6 years before treatment can be stopped. so 6 more years of treatment.

I continue to loose weight (more slowly) to counter the diabetes 225 - 175 so far.
be water my friend
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Wow, the weight loss is impressive, but seems like you should keep a little extra on to tide you over for when the chemo makes eating hard.

You know what you're doing, but my dad really got skinny and didn't have much of a buffer when things got worse.

Hope you keep doing well.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Good luck to you cob.

FWIW, for anyone else having issues with cancer, there are some interesting technologies out there. i.e. real-time MR guided radiation therapy. i.e. https://viewray.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is more like hunting with a rifle and a scope vs. hunting with a shotgun.

Full disclosure, I have a relationship with this company.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

It’s muscle you really want to have built up, not so much the fat, but ya a bit of fat helps too.

Great news on the weight loss. Right after cancer, diabetics is a royal bitch too.

Fuck Cancer. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

grandpa had breast cancer grandmother has ovarian cancer, she got them removed now one last round of chemo for her.

shes the last women to deserve it to she would bake fresh butter scones for a criminal and not blink an eye. both them go it within a year of each other they are in their 70's

Edit: hope your doing well cob, and all else
Last edited by Fiddleford on Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:Good luck to you cob.

FWIW, for anyone else having issues with cancer, there are some interesting technologies out there. i.e. real-time MR guided radiation therapy. i.e. https://viewray.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is more like hunting with a rifle and a scope vs. hunting with a shotgun.

Full disclosure, I have a relationship with this company.
I'm familiar with Brachytherapy (prostate) however my bil had radioactive pellets implanted in his liver today.

off label????
be water my friend
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

It's not Brachytherapy. It is MRI guided Radiotherapy. i.e. The system uses real time MRI imaging to direct high energy ionizing radiation (Linear accelerator to generate high energy photons (x-rays)). They are targeted to the tumor with fairly high precision (< 2 mm). This system is FDA approved for oncology uses. It is not off label.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well, this past week i was involved in a motorcycle accident and ended up with a broken collar bone. Ugly thing, bones at odd angles but Stranglely no pain. Much worried, I went to reaseaching how a surgery might go and then I found this:
" When a [clavicle] fracture has recently taken place, the patients attach much importance to it, as supposing the mischief greater than it really is, and the physicians bestow great pains in order that it may be properly bandaged; but in a little time the patients, having no pain, nor finding any impediment to their walking or eating, become negligent; and the physicians finding they cannot make the parts look well, take themselves off, and are not sorry at the neglect of the patient, and in the meantime the callus is quickly formed." Written by Hippocrates in the 4th century BC. Guess I won't worry quite so much any more. Except paying for repairs...
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Maybe that Hippo Crates guy makes house calls, Yonder.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Sure n hell put a crimp in my activities. No shootin (right clavical, right handed) can't cast fer squat, no one handed wood working. An my was was ready to run last Saturday. If that Hippo Cates guy did make house calls I'd have him running my latest generation, thats for dang sure.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I “feel your pain”, Yonder.

Two years ago (in April), I laid my bike down to avoid a much more dangerous accident, and planted my left shoulder into the pavement in the process. Being an “old fart” with brittle bones, I fractured several ribs, a vertebrate, and my left clavicle. The ribs punctured my left lung...a move that guaranteed me a helicopter ride to the nearest trauma center which was 45 miles away.

Anyway, the lung was the critical injury and to re-inflate the lung, I had to have a pneuma-thorax tube (Google it...it’s quite painfull) put in. So, the clavicle was a secondary injury. Once stable after three days, I had the collarbone sugically repaired. The surgeon put a plate in. Convalescence for the surgery wasn’t too bad...some physical therapy for the muscles. But the nerves where the incision was made were all jumbled up. Some numbness in my skin on the upper chest and sensitivity other places, but OK.

The biggest longterm implication to the surgical repair is that the titanium plate and stainless steel screws has turned me into a “weather forecaster”. I can now “feel” when the weather is about to change, beit rain or snow, as the barometric pressure drops. The plate will get extremely sensitive and sore...kind of a deep “bone ache” along the clavicle.

So, the surgeon had advised that the collarbone would heal in time without surgery, the surgical repair would significantly reduce the convalescence time. Now, two years later, I have 90% of my motion restored and most of my left arm strength back, I still have recurring “weather reports” from the plate and screws.

And the lung function is probably back to 75% of pre-accident condition, most likely due to the scarring. It’s going to be a chronic condition for me, but as I said...”I’m an old fart” already, so aches and pains and reduced function are rapidly becoming a “way of life”.

In retrospect, I am glad I had the surgical repair. It got me back-in-action much quicker.

Oh, and after I repaired my damaged bike, I got back to riding. In fact, my bike was waiting for me to ride before my arm and shoulder were fully healed to the point I could ride. But...I am “back in the saddle” again!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Thank you still. My surgery is weds next. I'm getting a little on myself, and not looking forward to it but the doc says 5-6 months recovery without or 4 weeks with. My bike arrived at the shop yesterday and will be shining as new before I am. Thanks for the reassurance, it helps an old man feel better. Peace, out.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

As of last week I am back to square one with the cancer. third surgery on the 14th.

reset the chemo clock to 6 more years and start over from scratch.

on a brighter note by late may I had reduced my a1c to 5.5 ("normal" is 5.7)

sept. 10.1 may 5.5 my doc believes the numbers but still doesn't understand.
be water my friend
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

You have my prayers friend, if i can call you such.
My clavical is well healed but out of place. Went shootin with the grandkids this week n did well. Still can’t lay on my right side, tho!
Just after the accident happened i notes my left middle finger pointin side ways. Well, no bones wuz stickin out and it didn’t hurt so i just yanked it straight out an let it snap in ta place. Now, 2 months down the line, the damn thing won’t bend all the way nor straighten out. Guess its more docter bills for ole Yonder.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Depends on how much you need that finger to bend and what "friends" you keep company with. My mates father had a permanently straight middle finger and he always grinned about it. I tripped over a tent rope 12 years ago and subluxated my left thumb. I'm a lefty so it was a big deal at the time. Surgeon said I had to fix it or I'd have all sorts of problems down the track and wanted $1k out of my pocket even with top hospital cover. I told him to shove it, but was having to use my middle finger for opposing thumb work for a while but at my age I'm glad I didn't give that doctor a cent of my hard earned. Healed itself right up. You don't see too many hard working men without a bent finger or two, or less than the compliment of 10 originally fitted. Both of my little fingers are bent from basketball and rugby dislocations. They still work fine and are the preferred digit for nasal investigation even though I have a big nose.

As for the Big C. I'm a survivor of stage 3 Melanoma and lots of little ones plus BCC. Comes form years of surfing and fishing in the sun under the hole in the ozone layer and wearing no clothes cause it's hot.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My prayers are with you fora speedy recovery.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

well I woke up from anesthesia around noon and all my stuff still works.

the bad part is around 3:00 I had to turn down an invite to a private

suite for the stones make up concert in santa clara ca. sunday.

I'm not going to be travel ready soon enough :wtf:

I don't see a workaround. cancer sucks in so many ways.
be water my friend