filtering with charcoal

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grizzly1
Novice

filtering with charcoal

Post by grizzly1 »

I saw on tv that the Jack Daniels com. runs their product through chared maple before going into the barel. I got the idea to use my stainless sparging equipment to do the same with my hooch. I am going to char maple pieces and put them where the grain would go and then pump my hooch over and collect in my second pot. You think this would work? One of my concerns is that the charcoal will absorb a lot of the likker lessoning my yeild.
Hawke
retired

Re: filtering with charcoal

Post by Hawke »

From what I understand, it takes 10 days for JD to filter down through thier charcoal bed. Gentleman Jack gets a second trip through after aging.
Hard to say how much will be lost through the coals, depends on how much you use.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Asohosy
Novice

Post by Asohosy »

Charcoal has a mellowing effect on the hootch. The longer on charcoal the mellower. I have let rum sit in charcoal for 2 or 3 weeks before and liked the result. Takes out the harshness if too much head got into the final product. Of course, make more conservative cuts and you solve the problem but I like the residual smoke flavor that remains in the spirit after charcoal. You get the same effect with charred wood for aging.

Carbon will strip your hootch of flavor.
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Theres a difference between charring on oak and filtering threw charcoal.. When making Swill like Jack Daniels you'll need to run it threw Sweet maple charcoal :shock: :? :lol: When making a Fine sippin UJSM no need to run threw charcoal to purifier. Just a sales pitch... How many of Y'all here need to clean it up threw charcoal? Ye'Sir thats what I thought, Not a one...
Keep on Keeping on...
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

If you want swill, try Jim Beam, Crown Royal, and Southern Comfort. Before I started 'stillin' my own, JD was one of the better tasting ones I'd found.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Lincoln County Process
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

Jetzon wrote:Theres a difference between charring on oak and filtering threw charcoal.. When making Swill like Jack Daniels you'll need to run it threw Sweet maple charcoal :shock: :? :lol: When making a Fine sippin UJSM no need to run threw charcoal to purifier. Just a sales pitch... How many of Y'all here need to clean it up threw charcoal? Ye'Sir thats what I thought, Not a one...

good point