Oldest thread on HD?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Oldest thread on HD?

Post by Alchemist75 »

Ever since I discovered the Google search I've been finding some golden old threads with a lot of posts from folks who ain't around now. Stuff going back to 2006 even. I gotta wonder what the oldest thread is and if someone has a link to it.....
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Oldest thread on HD?

Post by acfixer69 »

Got to say Alchemist75 if anyone will fined it it will be you, you may have already and not no it :lol: :lol: You have resurrected so many I thought I was having flashbacks. There is some good stuff in the oldies but some new finding that revise that stuff. Reading the old stuff is great but resurrecting by posting it is not always the best way to get questions answered. If you want to you can.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

They are some posts older then this tht were brought over from old forums . however fr as I know this is oldest on this one . viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Interesting thread, I would of thought it would be from Tony Ackland prior to UJ taking the forum over.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Yea Bush lots of early threads start with quotes from Tony's NZ site. I started there but found it here. Time flies when haven fun
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

the posts we brought over from old site were copied and pasted here not transferred.so jessies first post is oldest here
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Tater wrote:They are some posts older then this tht were brought over from old forums . however fr as I know this is oldest on this one . viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9
Way cool and the image is still being used :thumbup:

OVZ
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

acfixer69 wrote:Got to say Alchemist75 if anyone will fined it it will be you, you may have already and not no it :lol: :lol: You have resurrected so many I thought I was having flashbacks. There is some good stuff in the oldies but some new finding that revise that stuff. Reading the old stuff is great but resurrecting by posting it is not always the best way to get questions answered. If you want to you can.
I actually stopped posting to anything older than say, oct 2018 there pretty quick. Reading them is cool though, lot of answers to questions that have been asked again and again since. It's not easy to find them all though, TON of material there. Many a wizard who came before the ones we have now and lots of ideas from those who paved the way for us.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Tater wrote:They are some posts older then this tht were brought over from old forums . however fr as I know this is oldest on this one . viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9
I actually have come across this one in my diggings. I had forgotten be all about it until just now. That little pot still up in the left hand corner there, that's where it came from. Very cool.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

And rad, of course, he was not only prolific but apparently very influencial, I learn a lot reading his stuff.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Ive been a member since 2006, have a break for while , forget what i have learnt , then keep coming back for more answers to things I should know :oops:
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

unfortunately in alot of older threads the images are all gone or broken links. still a treasure trove of good information even without the photos
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

stillvodka wrote:Ive been a member since 2006, have a break for while , forget what i have learnt , then keep coming back for more answers to things I should know :oops:
I don't think you can truly know it all. The deeper you dig into it the more variables there are. I mean, there's a point at which you probably know enough to be good at it but there's always something more you could potentially explore.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I cheated & found one a few hours older.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2&p=2#p2
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Wow, literally from the birth of the site, I should reply to it just to bump the thread......jk
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I would be curious who the first posters here?
The first ten and the first continuous/current
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Now we just need a longest running thread, "let's get carried away with fruity goodness" possibly? The past is the past but like a ferment, the origin will determine the end product no matter how many times you run it. If it's good then it's good.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Alchemist75 wrote:Now we just need a longest running thread, "let's get carried away with fruity goodness" possibly? The past is the past but like a ferment, the origin will determine the end product no matter how many times you run it. If it's good then it's good.
`" flute talk"has been going since 2010, probably older ones to.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

googe wrote:" flute talk"has been going since 2010, probably older ones to.
Had a couple of years worth of reading to do to catch up when you joined up Gooman. :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

First flute talk was 2009. First member to design and build a flute was Olddog.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=17952
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

https://web.archive.org/web/20040401115 ... iller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Head to "Resources" and then forum. 2004 the earliest one I could find intact.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Nice!

As Tater said, the old forums went belly up so we brought over some of the best posts by hand.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This thread makes me think of members that have helped me in my journey and are not to our knowledge members of the angels share yet are no longer posting on the site.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I've spent the last week or so just reading, just about everything has been covered in those sweet old threads. It's funny, a lot of questions I and others have asked more recently are answered exhaustively in those early posts. I'm in the process of running some experiments that I find no clear reference to in the old stuff but 99% of what we need to know is there. I downloaded a copy of "the compleat distiller" and it confirmed a few suspicions but I swear, this site has more wisdom in it than any book published thus far. Someone needs to compile the information from these forums and write a new book: "HD, The Book". This is a truly amazing site with some amazing contributers (noobs included), so much knowledge, experience and theory, it needs to be made into a hard copy. I'm not a bad writer but there are better.....
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Alchemist75 wrote:I've spent the last week or so just reading, just about everything has been covered in those sweet old threads. It's funny, a lot of questions I and others have asked more recently are answered exhaustively in those early posts. I'm in the process of running some experiments that I find no clear reference to in the old stuff but 99% of what we need to know is there. I downloaded a copy of "the compleat distiller" and it confirmed a few suspicions but I swear, this site has more wisdom in it than any book published thus far. Someone needs to compile the information from these forums and write a new book: "HD, The Book". This is a truly amazing site with some amazing contributers (noobs included), so much knowledge, experience and theory, it needs to be made into a hard copy. I'm not a bad writer but there are better.....
The best of these should be moved to the "New Distiller Reading Lounge". Or perhaps a new forum, "Wisdom of the Ages"
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.