Mattress

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Mattress

Post by Tater »

Been sleeping on water bed for last 35 years .Getting harder to get out of as I get older .Been looking at them on line anyone have any suggestions of /if the foam mattress that come in a box are any count?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Re: Mattress

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

DO NOT get a Sealy.
I bought one for $800 years ago, and after a month, it had a rut in the middle. It damned near crippled me. You can't flip it over because of the pillow top. I suffered for 2 years and finally bought a bed and mattress from IKEA for like $300. My back was instantly better and I never regreted throwig that $800 piece of shit away!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Tater I have used a memory foam mattress for a few years now. had a water bed most of my life,

then used a conventional bed about 5 years much to the dismay of my back. the down side of the

memory foam that I have (sealy I think) is that it is very heavy and not flipable. I don't know

if the foam you are looking at on line is memory foam but I swear by mine (think temperpedic)

the stuff I see on tv looks to be folded and vacuum packed, I don't think you could do that with

a memory foam mattress. I have tried sleeping on other foam mattresses and the camper beds

and other non memory foam mattresses are not comfortable for me. I was writing while

fruit squeezer was posting. good luck.
be water my friend
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if you buy a memory foam bed, you will absolutely need the best water proof under-sheet sheet to protect it that you can get. They tend to be warm, they hold body heat which means you sweat. the foam holds water and it never dries, then the bed is fucked...so the best protective sheet is imperative.

i bought a high end M-foam a few years ago. i liked it at first then i hated it for a long time, then after about 18 months it finally broke in and i love it now.

going back in time, i think i'd go for a hybrid bed - coils and memory foam if i did it again. I think they sleep a bit cooler...that was the thing i liked about a water bed, you can run them cool...the bad is, as you know ya can't get out of them.

where you live, if you don't have AC you will not like a memory foam bed at all from the heat perspective. They are great here, cause the weather is cold 10 months of the year.

i don't think you can actually spend too much on a bed, you spend a 1/3 of your life in it, so you should love it! go to one of those places that gives you 9 months to return it no questions asked if you don't love it, and read the fine print. There is a huge quality difference in M-foams, not sure i'd trust a internet bed in a box. dunno what a good one sells for there, but here they run 3 to 5 grand :shock:

they definitely are not flippable either, i'd bet mine weighs 250-300lbs....for the mattress alone.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

heres 1 Ive been lookin into https://www.nectarsleep.com/mattress/qu ... 2ilufD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Seriously think it though...what about the water bed make it harder to get out of...if it's the height off the floor, consider lowering it...if it's the fluidity of the WB consider one with stiffer baffles. Wife and I when back to the WB after she thought it was time to go to a foam...MISTAKE! You can't make enough booze to make it comfortable if you don't like it...
Getting hung up all day on smiles
KSpirits75
Novice

Post by KSpirits75 »

Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattresses are great. I get the best night's sleep ever on my Tempur-Pedic.

Serta SleepToGo / Mattress In A Box are really good as well and not very expensive. Sam's Club carries them. Stocks several sizes as well.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

As a board-certified sleep physician I can lend my two cents. There is NO universal 'best' mattress. Body types, body weight, age, flexibility, and even cultural preferences make any answer nothing more than what the individual has tried and liked - or not. I used to think that a happy night in a nice hotel could answer the question but the mattress models in hotels are often unavailable to the individual customer - I've tried. And I think it is laughable that a 1 minute test in a mattress store is enough. Most of us have an idea of what we prefer - that is a good starting place. But I generally advise buying a mattress whose seller offers at least a 30 day money-back guarantee - including shipping costs if you can find such a seller. Thirty days is the minimum I'd test out a mattress before rendering a thumbs up or down. And mattress opinions are like other opinions - everyone has one.....The number of times my patients have admitted buying a humongously expensive mattress they ended up hating is surprisingly a lot.
KSpirits75
Novice

Post by KSpirits75 »

In regards to the 30/90/120/etc day money back guarantee offered by many companies. Read the fine print before you sign. Most only apply to the mattress and not the base or other accessories and have return delivery fees and restocking fees. If you buy a $3,000 mattress and a $2,000 adjustable base with heat and massage, you can only return the mattress and are stuck with the base.
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

We had a high-end, name brand pillow top that developed ruts. They honored the warranty, and we had a good chunk of money to put toward a $1600 memory foam mattress. It's the most comfortable mattress I've ever had. It isn't hot either. Next time we replace our mattress, we’re getting dual zones because my wife likes a firmer mattress than I.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

got to talking about this subject at work today, a customer was telling one of the guys about a motorized two zone bed he bought and figgered he loved it.

check this shit out https://www.costco.ca/Emma-Queen-Mattre ... 16864.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

another guy chimed in he has a water bed and loves it, said he tried a hi-end memory foam and had to go back to the waterbed.

i'm with seamus, i think you got to try for a while to see if it's going to work for you and then be able to take it back for something else if it doesn't work out.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

We bought a relatively cheap firm bed then bought a 4" foam topper and a 2" soft topper. It took a couple iterations before we found what we liked. Way cheaper than buying the fancy stuff.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Back when I was testing mattress I found the better the bed partner was the better I liked the mattress. Loved my waterbeds. Temperpeadic is what I like today.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Bought a Zinus foam mattress a year ago, never flattened out. After much haggling, they sent another - same issue, but in a different direction. Piled them together in the spare bedroom and Ended up buying a hybrid- a year later the foam is giving out already. We previously had a high end innerspring with a separate 2” memory foam topper that we were happy with for almost 20 years. Most likely going back to that, separate components stacked together rather than an all-in-one solution.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Decided to try the 1 I linked to above will report back after a while with a review of this brand
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Give it a little while before deciding if ya like it, I used a water bed for a decade and it took me a good while to get use to a mattress again.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I am 6'5" and 260 lbs with what's left of a broken bronc riders body.
Wifey is 6'1" and about 140 lbs. (Yes I know that is the same as 112 pounds.)
After 25 years in a water bed, we changed to an air bed (Sonoma brand) and 15 years in to a 20 year warranty developed a leak.
They stood behind the pro-rated warranty and sold us a second half for 50 % of what we paid for it retail.

Still loving it

2 cents in .

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Tater wrote:heres 1 Ive been lookin into https://www.nectarsleep.com/mattress/qu ... 2ilufD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I too need to suck it up and get a new one.
Not much to add but...

I clicked on the link to check it out.

A couple of hours later, I see ads for it all over my Facebook and now my Twitter page.
It's a good thing I'm not paranoid...
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

TDick wrote:
Tater wrote:heres 1 Ive been lookin into https://www.nectarsleep.com/mattress/qu ... 2ilufD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I too need to suck it up and get a new one.
Not much to add but...

I clicked on the link to check it out.

A couple of hours later, I see ads for it all over my Facebook and now my Twitter page.
It's a good thing I'm not paranoid...
You should be paranoid. This is a great example of a 'targeted' ad. FaceBook, Amazon, Samsung, Google and damn near every online business owns or has paid for ready access to EVERY there is to know about you. How do you think FaceBook has become successful when every 'user' uses it for 'free'?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I bought 1 in the link.After 2nd night was sleeping like a baby.Best mattress Ive ever slept on .Got pillows with it they were to thick wife and myself cant use them.