Shipping Samples

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Shipping Samples

Post by OtisT »

A wise man learns from his mistakes. A really wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
- my Dad (ya, I know he was not the first to say it)

So I learned a $10 lesson today I thought I would share what I learned with you all about shipping samples.

I was shipping 6 samples to a friend in a sample swap. It’s a great way to get feedback on your stuff if you don’t know distillers near you. So I used a shoe box and fitted it with a styrofoam bottom and top so the jars fit snugly between them. I used sections of 2” column insulation that were the same height as the jars so everything fit snug for safe shipping.
Shipping 6 mason jars
Shipping 6 mason jars
My package cost $20 to ship across the country, least expensive method. Well the USPS has a “flat rate” box that even with the same weight would have only cost $10 to ship. It was virtually the same size, a little wider, taller but was 1/2” shorter along the long end, so unfortunately I could not stuff my box inside of theirs to save $10.

So next time I ship six of the 4 oz mason jars, I will start with one of the USPS’s flat rate boxes.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Shipping Samples

Post by fizzix »

I thought you were gonna say it was a "return to sender" and they were all smashed up.
Thanks for the flat rate box tip.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Small town life I'm really familiar with our local USPS office and flat-rate shipping boxes, smoking deal if you can make it fit.

Never considered shipping any of my stuff out to have someone evaluate it, can't rely on friends as they would drink tails and think it was great, some day have to find someone with experience I can trust. Many props on the idea, got me thinking!
Last edited by Desvio on Wed May 29, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Otis the USPS also has regional rate boxes, those are the ones I use. Being the cheap bastard that I am I found those rates cheaper than the regular boxes. The only downside is that you have to be a click and ship costumer and order the boxes online.
https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Regional-Rate-Boxes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OVZ