I need some advice got squirrels under roof

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

acfixer69
Global moderator

I need some advice got squirrels under roof

Post by acfixer69 »

They got entry in the dog house dormers we added to my girls rooms. Few days ago I was on the front porch looking over the fresh cut lawn and I see this young squirrel run across the street on a power line above the road then travel from that pole parallel to the street bout 100 ft in front of my house to the feed pole to my house then follow the wire to my roof. That's when I saw the doghouse had some vinyel soffit pulled and a bit of insulation exposed. How the hell do I get rid of these nasty bastards. They naughed a hole into the room but have not come into the house yet. Wife pointed a hole in the ceiling over dog house so they are here.

Anyone got fix traps is all I find, but I setting and resetting may take a new re-mateing season.

Any help appreciated
Hanging on to my nuts
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: I need some advice got squirrels under roof

Post by HDNB »

i find a .22 pellet pistol entertaining and effective.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

bushy tail rats are a tough mark, they catch on to firearms quickly. and if you have neighbors firearms or traps

can be problematic. (oh their so cute). I have good scoped pellet rifles and pistols, and have only got 3 and none to

the trap in 3 years. once they move into an area they are nearly impossible to eradicate. they breed to fast

do what you can replace your vinyl soffits with metal kill as many as you can without getting arrested.

I have seen houses stripped down to the studs to repair squirrel damage. drywall insulation and wiring

best of luck, you are under siege and it's tough to win this war. It's tough to say if a professional

exterminator can be any more effective than a determined homeowner. A warning poison has more

unintended consequences than good ones (dead rats in the walls, attic, your or neighbors dogs, cats)
be water my friend
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Please be careful, ac.
About 10 years ago a friend was attempting to evict some squirrels from a roof vent when one jumped from the vent onto his face.
His wife watched from the ground in horror as he lost his balance and fell off the roof to his death.
Freak f#ckin' accident.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

go to the local store (any) get 2 or 3 boxes of Moth balls or Moth crystals.
Throw those in the attic. within 24 hours they will be gone.
then you will need to eliminate the entrance opportunity.

ALL "pest" animals find the smell of Moth Balls OFFENSIVE.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Another thing you can do is take a 50/50 mix of White vinegar & water solution, spray all under the eve.
Most mammals do not "like" the smell of vinegar
they will stay away

as a side note if you have small ants in the kitchen, wipe the counter top with vinegar,, they will disappear.
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

To exclude them, get some SS mesh and spray it in place with some expanding foam. Works like a champ.

cabron
"Life is too short for cheap cigars"
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Are you in an incorporated area?
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
NiteHawk
Novice

Post by NiteHawk »

Get a few mole traps. Bait the inside of the small hole with peanut butter. Place the traps near where they run. You will be surprised how effective this will be.

Edit: I can't seem to find a pic on the net of the exact trap I use but this one is similar and should work. http://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/dis ... -Mole-Trap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit 2: Actually this one is almost exactly what I use. My box is made from wood rather than plastic. http://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/dis ... em_num=625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Victor rat taps plus peanut butter
5 gallon bucket traps work not bad
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:Victor rat taps plus peanut butter
5 gallon bucket traps work not bad

best bait for squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs, opossums is MARSHMELLOWS & PEANUT BUTTER.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Thanks for all the help guys I got some moth balls coming on Saturday. I'll start there. I'm in the city so.shooting them is out of the question and trapping them is probably Impossible too. I have some wire mesh and foam insulation spray to block the entry. It's a freaking war every day.
NiteHawk
Novice

Post by NiteHawk »

acfixer69 wrote:... trapping them is probably Impossible too...
It's pretty easy unless you are squeamish about killin vermin. It is the same as stillin, be discreet and don't tell.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I've trapped Skunks, Raccoons, Rabbits and Possums but never caught a squirrel in a trap. Not at all squeamish at pinching the little bastards heads off. A little black sabbath "Ozzie O" in me.
NiteHawk
Novice

Post by NiteHawk »

acfixer69 wrote:I've trapped Skunks, Raccoons, Rabbits and Possums but never caught a squirrel in a trap. Not at all squeamish at pinching the little bastards heads off. A little black sabbath "Ozzie O" in me.
LOL. The trap I linked to is a kill trap so you won't actually have to pinch their heads off.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

thanks to dukethebeagle120 I went to lowes yesterday and got 3 victor rat traps,

put lanyards on them, peanut buttered them up and wired them to 3 trees.

I have several #0 longsprings for ermine but where i'm at they are out of place.

after 3 years with the havaheart and 0 squirrels and a bunch of tweety birds

I'm changing up the game and becoming heartless.

I will post if any hit the stewpot.
be water my friend
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

NiteHawk wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:I've trapped Skunks, Raccoons, Rabbits and Possums but never caught a squirrel in a trap. Not at all squeamish at pinching the little bastards heads off. A little black sabbath "Ozzie O" in me.
LOL. The trap I linked to is a kill trap so you won't actually have to pinch their heads off.
I'm not seeing a link to any traps show me the way.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

acfixer69 wrote:
I'm not seeing a link to any traps show me the way.[/quote]

9th post from the top. I found the wood ones he was talking about also

but at $15 ea. I opted for the victors @ $2 ea.
be water my friend
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

cob wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:
I'm not seeing a link to any traps show me the way.
9th post from the top. I found the wood ones he was talking about also

but at $15 ea. I opted for the victors @ $2 ea.[/quote]

Those are mole traps I got tree jumpers well got friggin moles too but I'll bitch bout that in another thread??
NiteHawk
Novice

Post by NiteHawk »

acfixer69 wrote:Those are mole traps.....
Yes they are and they work great on moles, chipmunks and squirrels. They probably work on other vermin as well. Don't knock it till you try it. More expensive than the rat trap but I am thinking much more effective as well since they only have one way in. I caught 2 on the doorstep a couple weeks ago with just setting them on the step. For squirrels I usually strap them to a tree with the opening facing down.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Traps are the way. They work 24 hours so you don't have to.

Catch live traps are less worry, but you have to check and reset them.

If you use large rat traps, chain them to something or the tree rats will carry them off.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

I had a terrible problem with squirrels in my roof space. I found the best way was to set my cage trap in the yard/garden baited with a nice plate of nuts. One by one I caught several over a period of a few days. You then have to dispose of them in a humane way. I know it was wrong. but I drove out with my captives, about a mile and released them into the unknown ( I put some red paint on their chests to keep check that they did not return) I repeated this procedure for a couple of seasons, now I have about 3/4 in the garden but I don't encourage them with any food out near the house. The worst thing about squirrels in the loft/atic is they make a terrible noise through the night keeping you awake :thumbdown: Don't have any problem now, but trap is at the ready. Hey, I believe you like squirrel burgers over there :lol:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

the waxed rat poison they will die after they go for water.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I use a four foot piece of four inch pvc pipe cut a four and half inch circle of hardware cloth and push it in about six inches from one end then cut a piece big enough to cover the same end with enough to fold up the side about one inch screw these down using fender washers to hold in place. Bunji cord or ratchet strap straight up and down to a tree or pole with screen on the bottom, drop in a piece of pizza crust with a bit of peanut butter on it. It's squirrel crack sometimes I have two or three of them in the pipe. From here you can unstrap and place in a bucket of water to drowned them or cover the other end temporarily an transport out of your area making them someone's else's problem. This trap has worked for me many times all over United States. Even a pecan grove in Oklahoma. They're very easy and cheap to make and will last for years. Happy stillin happy hunting.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Forgot to add that about a dozen of the little basturds clean and skin them soak in apple vinegar in the refrigerator for two day then boil them for an hour remove the bones simmer to reduce the water add one diced onion half a clove of garlic then pre mix brown gravy with cold water then add that. All you need now is a big platter of biscuits and your good to go. This recipe works well with rabbits too.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

acfixer69 wrote:
Anyone got fix traps is all I find, but I setting and resetting may take a new re-mateing season.

Any help appreciated
Hanging on to my nuts
I got the little bastards too.
They've gnawed through the soffit and I also had a hole in the roof over my bedroom. It's a pitched ceiling to they were driving me & the wife crazy running in the space between the ceiling and roof. And of course I can't see what kind of damage they're doing.
The wife wanted me to poison them somehow despite me explaining the smell of dead animals.
Anyway I don't know if it will work but I got this from Ebay:
Electronic Ultrasonic Riddex Plus Mosquito Rat Rodent Mice Bug Pest Repeller
s-l500.jpg
I didn't really expect it to work but figured if it just ran anything out of there it would be worth the $6 I paid for it.
The closest to the pitched roof area is a guest bathroom so I just plugged it in.
I don't know if it's working or not, but I haven't heard them for almost two weeks.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Well TDICK I ordered 2 of them same nite you posted this and they came a few days later. Plugged them in on each end of the house and no one has heard them since. :clap: I did set a trap and some poison peanut butter pellets. The trap got a skunk and a possum. PPBP who knows. Thanks for you mentioning these cause I got no faith in "as seen on tv" :roll: going to continue using and get on the soffit repairs. Hope yours are still gone.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I got a medium sized Havahart trap and put peanut butter on the trigger after they were eating the wiring under the hood of my wife's car. I caught one a day for a while. I'd spray the tails with green marking paint so I'd know if they came back and take them a couple of miles away to let them go in the forest. I never saw them back. Maybe the hawks got the bright green ones. 8)
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

acfixer69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:36 pm Well TDICK I ordered 2 of them same nite you posted this and they came a few days later. Plugged them in on each end of the house and no one has heard them since. :clap:
Hope yours are still gone.
Well, I gotta say since I plugged mine in, Momma hasn't heard them at all!
Thanks for the reminder. I need to order another one for the other end of the house.

Who'd a thunk! :crazy:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

update from july 6 until today 1 bushy tail rat with a snap trap last week, it didn't kill him but rung his bell well enough

I could walk up an cap him with the pellet pistol. one a week before that with the scoped pellet rifle, and one today

with the pellet rifle. the sad part of this update is that at the rate they breed I'm probably behind by 30 :thumbdown:

although I don't often see the sneaky little bastards. :!: :problem:
be water my friend