To post or not to post about sulfuric acid

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

To post or not to post about sulfuric acid

Post by pope »

I've been experimenting with it but I don't want to post and have that info encourage someone new to the hobby to blind themselves, poison themselves, burn their face off, or die. Thoughts?
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
NJen
Swill Maker

Re: To post or not to post about sulfuric acid

Post by NJen »

From the statistical and scientific perspective of it, I'm definitely curious. I've read a bit about molasses clarification using sulfuric acid, and had considered it myself. I don't know enough about it, however, to really want to get into it. That being said, I think if we could reliable data towards the subject, I think that would clear things up quite a bit.

I think it would be okay to post about it, but only if you're doing and posting everything in a safe manner, keeping notes, and describe well what you were doing with it, so as no others are able to mistakenly take your experimentation as a whole truth. You know how some of these rumor mills start.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

It's been discussed some before in various threads including esterification. Shouldn't be an issue if proper safety precautions are observed.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Yummyrum »

Pope , good question and thanks for asking and being mindful of HD forums safety concerns . :thumbup:
There is no doubt that folk are using it out there in home distilling land in some form or other albeit, not very commonly , but there have been posts mentioning it on here already as I'm sure you have seen .

I use it to clean my constructed copper still bits as I make them and I have mentioned that on quite a few occasions. It is very effective and I would recommend it over using Vinegar or Citric acid any day . .......But I use it very diluted .
And here in lies the Nasty about Sulfuric Acid . When you buy it , it invariably comes as a 98% concentrated form . In this form it is extremely corrosive , gives off lung fucking fumes and can spontaneously combust in contact with water .
I happen to know a bit about it as I use it at work . :wink:

Now some will want to use it in concentrated form and others may use it dilute . It is mega important that when you dilute acids...especially highly concentrated ones like H2SO4 that You always add acid .
At a recent work related meeting a college had said how she had acid violently splash up in here face due to a splash of water getting into it .

So getting back to the question . I don't see issues discussing it so long as all safety concerns are mentioned . IE especially wearing safety glasses . Adding Acid to water ,if you are diluting or to wash if you are Estifying .
Sure it may be become repetitive , but if you guys want to talk about it , mention the Dangers. We are all here to look after each other . :thumbup:

Other concerns that have arisen in the past when Sulfuric Acid has been mentioned is where to buy it . And that has come down to suggestions of Car battery Acid ( which for the most part is H2SO4) . But there is always the risk that some Dip Shit will just pour some out of his car battery which will be full of lead .Please discourage such talk and provide links to good sources .

So while it is not against HD forum rules to discuss the use of H2SO4 , do it with respect and don't hold back on safety advise . Don't make out that what you are doing is the norm ( because its not ) and that every Newbie feels like they are missing something magical and need to risk them selves unnecessarily .

That's my 2cents on it
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My first batch of rum was made before the existance of the internet as we know it, using the same bottle of H2SO4 I used for my latest rum. It doesn't go off :D
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use it as an additive to spirit runs along with backset for esterification. Would love to have more reference material on all aspects.

Cheers!
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Jonny you seem to know pretty well what you're doing, I'm not sure I'm going to expand anyone's knowledge of sulfuric acid - esp. yours. At least right away. But maybe it can get the conversation going.

Chris I know it's not explosives and probably not as hazardous as the still itself (esp. gas fired), but if someone's haphazardly distilling I hate to tip the Darwinian scales against them with an additional hazard.

I've 'spiked' (fairly precisely) some wash and low wines, once I get those cut and rested I'll get a thread going with a first impressions status and hope to hear from some of y'all. I cut it from 98% to ~2% by adding to water, it made it a lot easier to dose. I work with hydroxides almost daily so it wasn't really that intimidating, but anything new and inherently dangerous I try to treat with respect, I've hurt myself enough for one lifetime and I've got a lot of living left to do!
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For safety advice I use manufacturer's data and handling advice, not what I can find on forums. Plus, I don't feel the need to share everything that goes on in my shed.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I once combined it with nitric acid and cotton and almost got my head blown. (Some events can make you almost start to believe in angels.)
But I would like to learn as mucht about distilling as possible.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I figure sharing can directly help others but also lead to critique which can help me out too.

Kareltje, I've had sufficient close calls to say that shop angels may just be a thing. An inch either way on one close call and I'd definitely be blind in one eye.