Dying on the vine.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Eire Whiskey

Dying on the vine.

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I feel sorry for people living in cold, snowy areas. I am in the Southern US, and it's not cold here by comparison to other places, but it has been fairly miserable for the last couple of months.
I feel like I am dying on the vine here, mainly because I am unable to ride my bike (bicycle). I've ridden maybe twice in January.
It has been raining here every couple of days.
I do not like wearing my long riding bibs, I feel restricted in them. I could ride my bike on the mag trainer, but it is boring as heck, even with something on the tube, or I guess on the tube should be changed to something more modern like "on the LED, OLED, LCD, or Plasma".
I can't even go in the yard, it's a swampy mudhole.
I think my nine Shepherds are bored as well. They chewed up the wiring and some hoses under my Jeep. I spent nine hours this past Monday under the Jeep lying in mud repairing wiring and hoses. I still have to crawl back under to repair the front and rear air locker wiring and hoses. I put up an electric fence up around the Jeep, it is working. I borrowed the fence charger from my chicken pen. The Shepherds have not figured out the wire around the pen is not energized yet. I have a new charger arriving tomorrow so the chickens will be safe from being eaten again.
I tell ya crawling under the Jeep in the cold and muddy ground had me feeling my age, and wishing my youngest son lived closer so I could let him fix the beast. LOL
Oh Well, enough whining from me, how has other Northern hemisphere occupants been doing?
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dying on the vine.

Post by Fiddleford »

Its been a warm winter, roads had water on em today which is not good, the ice that forms in these conditions is very slippery and can cause accidents. I usually experience -20 to -40 weather around this time but its -2 currently.

I prefer it to be cold out. No ice fishing this year...
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Fiddleford wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:42 pm Its been a warm winter, roads had water on em today which is not good, the ice that forms in these conditions is very slippery and can cause accidents. I usually experience -20 to -40 weather around this time but its -2 currently.

I prefer it to be cold out. No ice fishing this year...
If it were -2 here these people would be dying.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

1234.jpg
;)
So far so good,
running my brooks-ghosts,
riding my bike...
wuts da prublem, all in all?

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:38 pm 1234.jpg
;)
So far so good,
running my brooks-ghosts,
riding my bike...
wuts da prublem, all in all?
Road bikes don't do well in snow.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Sure they do. The cleaning afterwards is a pain though.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Mother nature has been a menopausal psychotic bitch for a couple years now. Summers are 100* with 90% humidity for a month at a time then 2 weeks of perfect weather & back. Its kind of worse at night in a shop that has piss poor air flow & having to weld. Winter is more like a wet fall. Decent then rain then cold then repeat. Never getting truly cold for any length of time. Most of the time it rains on my days off which kill all motivation to get stuff done. I would be very happy for the rain to only show up on my work days so I can either get paid for it or be asleep.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:42 am Road bikes don't do well in snow.
My own one is not so road-oriented. But you're right: snow and spacesuit need my energy as big as double. Never travelled in winter to a distance exceeding 40km.

jog666 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:03 am Mother nature has been a menopausal psychotic bitch for a couple years now.
The last summer was +5+10C here (normally — +20+30C). And all winter long it's -5 to +5. Normally, we had -22C to -35C in wintertime. But this time we have got -22 a couple of times... as a kicking ass frost!

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Corsaire wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:53 am Sure they do. The cleaning afterwards is a pain though.
I'd get hurt in the snow and ice on my road bike.

Oh, Centigrade, not so bad, I thought we were talking g farenheit. Still cold.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I kinda miss the snow. Winters here used to be cold and wet. It hasn't really frozen here this year. Temps are around 10c, and up till today no real rain. So there's a lot of cyclists out, something you didn't normally see.
Is there an indoor track near you? I love track riding. And it's great to remain in shape during the foul weather months.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:47 am Oh, Centigrade, not so bad, I thought we were talking g farenheit. Still cold.
Yea I know. It's 41F or 5C out right now and I'm working in a T-Shirt as it feels WARM out.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Corsaire wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 am I kinda miss the snow. Winters here used to be cold and wet. It hasn't really frozen here this year. Temps are around 10c, and up till today no real rain. So there's a lot of cyclists out, something you didn't normally see.
Is there an indoor track near you? I love track riding. And it's great to remain in shape during the foul weather months.
No indoor tracks around here. It's kinda dangerous cycling around here with the thugs and rednecks.
I plan to ride in the morning, it will be warmish and dry, just a little windy. It should be nice as long as I miss the aforementioned. LOL
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Good luck with your weather / and no thugs, no rednecks on your way ;)

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:00 pm Good luck with your weather / and no thugs, no rednecks on your way ;)
LOL, They will be there this morning. I guess I should put my socks an d shoes on and get out the door, before I decide putting up a better electric fence around my Jeep sounds more fun, fun for me, not fun for my nine Jeep eating Shepherds.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Ride was good, and the better fence is up. I've got a wire at 6 and 16 inches. This will keep my Shepherds away from the Jeep.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:26 am Ride was good, and the better fence is up. I've got a wire at 6 and 16 inches. This will keep my Shepherds away from the Jeep.
looks like you are good to go 8) that is until they learn to jump over 16" of wire :shock: :(
be water my friend
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

cob wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am
Eire Whiskey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:26 am Ride was good, and the better fence is up. I've got a wire at 6 and 16 inches. This will keep my Shepherds away from the Jeep.
looks like you are good to go 8) that is until they learn to jump over 16" of wire :shock: :(
These dogs can go over a four foot fence with ease. It's the shock which keeps them at bay. They won't go near it.
The chicken pen has been de-energized for a week now and the closest they will get is about 3 feet.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm I feel sorry for people living in cold, snowy areas.
That's OK, I bet many people feel sorry for you guys living in the heat during the summer. :)

At least the guys up north can put on additional layers of clothes in the winter to help adjust the temp. You guys are kinda screwed in that department as you can only take off so much.

Of course around where I live it's humid and we usually get screwed in both the winter and summer!
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

The weather here is honestly as good as you can wish for but I still spend a lot of it in a windowless office, so until it's light when I am driving home winter is still a bit rough for me at times. And the summers here are brutal but it's a different kind of uncomfortable.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

cayars wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm
Eire Whiskey wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm I feel sorry for people living in cold, snowy areas.
That's OK, I bet many people feel sorry for you guys living in the heat during the summer. :)

At least the guys up north can put on additional layers of clothes in the winter to help adjust the temp. You guys are kinda screwed in that department as you can only take off so much.

Of course around where I live it's humid and we usually get screwed in both the winter and summer!
Heat doesn't bother me, but there are plenty of people around here who will not ride when it's hot.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

pope wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 pm The weather here is honestly as good as you can wish for but I still spend a lot of it in a windowless office, so until it's light when I am driving home winter is still a bit rough for me at times. And the summers here are brutal but it's a different kind of uncomfortable.
My last job in the military was windowless, and I detested it. After being on the flight e for years and then spend the last part in a hole was not good.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I try to get to the gym or get outside in the mornings, and I consider my time 'in the sun' on my drive to work to count as daylight exposure, but I don't get a lot of it this time of year.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I try to wake up every day before the sun sets so I can get some daylight time.
No, I don't work night shift. I've been retired for awhile and like to sleep in :lol:
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

pope wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:28 pm I try to get to the gym or get outside in the mornings, and I consider my time 'in the sun' on my drive to work to count as daylight exposure, but I don't get a lot of it this time of year.
Take some vitamin d, it'll give you what your not getting from the lack of sun.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 am Take some vitamin d, it'll give you what your not getting from the lack of sun.
plus all those suntan lamps, by half-dozes at time

and maybe smth. like DHEA, orally :wink:

etc.

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:52 am
Eire Whiskey wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 am Take some vitamin d, it'll give you what your not getting from the lack of sun.
plus all those suntan lamps, by half-dozes at time

and maybe smth. like DHEA, orally :wink:

etc.
I substitute Spring Rolls for DHEA. Homemade Spring Rolls cure a lot of things.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:04 am I substitute Spring Rolls for DHEA. Homemade Spring Rolls cure a lot of things.
Yea, like hunger. :)
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

cayars wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 am
Eire Whiskey wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:04 am I substitute Spring Rolls for DHEA. Homemade Spring Rolls cure a lot of things.
Yea, like hunger. :)
Yep, I was thinking about Spring Rolls at the time, and I am a bit hungry. LOL
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

For all those only-a-bit-hungries, LOL
:lolno:
omnomnom
omnomnom

har druckit för mycket
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:26 am For all those only-a-bit-hungries, LOL
:lolno:

IMG_5093.PNG
Yep, I've got a big bag of nutritional yeast. I used it yesterday making potato soup. I eat plant based, so it's a staple.