COVID-19 party

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

COVID-19 party

Post by shadylane »

Due to COVID-19 it looks like all my younger kinfolks are off from work and can't go to town
Sounds like a good excuse to have a party on the farm :lol:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: COVID-19 party

Post by Expat »

All the parties seemed to be cancelled out my way cuz people are staying home :-/

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by shadylane »

Expat wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:10 pm All the parties seemed to be cancelled out my way cuz people are staying home :-/
That's why we are having a party on the farm.
Kinfolks have come home before the poo hits the fan.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

shadylane wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:16 pm
Expat wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:10 pm All the parties seemed to be cancelled out my way cuz people are staying home :-/
and if the kinfolk happen to bring the poo with them?

y'all ain't heard the story about the italian dinner party yet?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

My kids think I don't like them but I love them, just don't want them to kill me. They think their bullet proof and may be but I'm not for sure.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Just keep 6+ feet of distance and stay upwind at said party, shady!
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

HDNB wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:21 pm
shadylane wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:16 pm
and if the kinfolk happen to bring the poo with them?

y'all ain't heard the story about the italian dinner party yet?
Hopefully none of them have it yet.
The last time a pandemic hit this area was around 1918
That one was particularly hard on families
It killed more of the young and healthy

Our game plan for this one, is to hunker down on the farm
And plant a garden even bigger than my Grandma did.
I might not get to harvest it, but I'm damn sure going to help plant it :lol:

Just like the common cold, I figure just about everyone will eventually get it.
99% of the folks who get the virus will get over it and hopefully have immunity
As they say, What doesn't kill Ya can only make you stronger
Last edited by shadylane on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

pope wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:34 pm Just keep 6+ feet of distance and stay upwind at said party, shady!
We did agree on some rules that normally don't apply for farm parties.
One of them, is not to say "Hey Ya'll hold my beer and watch this"
We don't want anyone getting hurt and having to go to a hospital
There's going to be a lot of sick folks there.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

shadylane wrote:I might not get to harvest it, but I'm damn sure going to help plant it
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Shady, most people who are infected have NO symptoms. So if you have 20 people to your farm it's unlikely any of your family dies. But with a 6 day doubling time your party of 20 can spread the virus in 60 days to over 10,000 people. With a death rate of 1% you could kill 100 people. That's why people need to minimize exposure. In Washington state we are already short on masks at our hospitals and we haven't even hit 100 deaths yet. In 2 months we may be worse than Italy where a shortage of ventilators means patients over 60 dont get put on life support. We arent going to stop the spread, but if we slow it we save lives by allowing more access to life saving resources rather than flooding the hospitals in 60 days.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hopefully you’re joking Shady. If you are please let everyone know that you are and stop this thread. People may do the same thing that you are planning, potentially spreading Covid19 exponentially, and possibly contributing to what Tummydoc said.
Please be safe
JBC
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Me and all my ham radio buddies are had a party last night... On the air! Pretty funny and we were at least pushing up on what the FCC thinks is acceptable. Don't party in person, it isn't just you that you are putting at risk.

As to the garden, damn straight. I always have a big garden but I am gonna do my best this year for sure. Luckily, since I live in earthquake country I already have several weeks of supplies ready. Gonna make some sorbet today from some of the fruit in the freezer from last year. Raspberry I think but I might go mexican gooseberry. Anyway, everybody do your part, stay away from folks and sooner or later we'll get back to whatever passes for normal.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Guys, I don’t think Shady’s talking about throwing a kegger...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

My friend told me in her thughood, the animals have been partying for 3 days straight, vehicles up and down the street, on both sides. Pure stupidity!
Last edited by Eire Whiskey on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 am Guys, I don’t think Shady’s talking about throwing a kegger...
i'm not the guy that will tell anybody how to live and definitely not paranoid or fearful. and i am most certainly not disparaging my friend shady but people, this shit is serious as a heart attack.

It's about allowing a vector for the virus to transmit. A young healthy specimen not showing any symptom can easily transmit to anyone else unbeknownst to anyone. It's not like it comes with a flashing beacon on your head. The next person starts a breeding ground and then goes and visits gramma in the old folks home before they feel ill and 9 people are dead 10 days later.
That is exactly what went on in BC Canada, virtually all recorded deaths are in the province are in one elder residence.

The Italian dinner i alluded to earlier...my daughter read the story to me...something like 24 of them got together for a family dinner at the time she read the story, 6 of them had died, momma-san and a few of her middle aged children. Hellova reunion to remember for all of your life eh? I killed my mom and 3 siblings and a couple cousins because i didn't want to get left out of the celebration.

so now let me tell you how to live your life: you need to stay the fuck away from other people. Even if literally no one in your community is symptomatic. That's the only way they are going to stay healthy. Wash often and thoroughly with soap and water for 1 minute at time. Stay 6 feet for everyone when you have go out for food. Use sanitizer after you handle anything like a PIN pad or gas pump...use lots, use it immediately and then wash your hands at the very next opportunity.
don't do it for yourself, do it for the old people...the ones that fought wars for you. do it for the grocery clerk that goes to work so you can stay home. do it for the doctors and nurses for the same reason.
just do it.

now i drink for evil.
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Amen brother.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 am Guys, I don’t think Shady’s talking about throwing a kegger...
Not a kegger unless you count all the kegs of +90% alcohol that's stashed on the farm. :wink:
That I always figured to use in one of my old tractors if the SHTF
What I'm talking about is closing the gate and 4 generations of the family staying on the farm.
Some of us may get COVID-19, if so those who get sick will have Kin to take care of them.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

now i drink for evil.
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Post by Shinerfortyniner »

Shady,
I understand what you are proposing and think it could be a good idea. I don't know what state you live in or where the different people in your family are coming from. You might consider keeping social distancing inside the gates for a week or so to make sure no unwelcome visitor passed your gate.

Good luck and stay safe
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

shadylane wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:37 pm

Our game plan for this one, is to hunker down on the farm
And plant a garden even bigger than my Grandma did.
I might not get to harvest it, but I'm damn sure going to help plant it :lol:

Not a kegger unless you count all the kegs of +90% alcohol that's stashed on the farm. :wink:
That I always figured to use in one of my old tractors if the SHTF
What I'm talking about is closing the gate and 4 generations of the family staying on the farm.
Some of us may get COVID-19, if so those who get sick will have Kin to take care of them.
:thumbup: good luck shady ,i'm moving back to the sticks close to my parents and planting potatoes myself , been wanting to since before this virus started + now i'm glad I am . I will be making homebrew hand sanitizer to give away to everybody I know who isnt an asshole, got an aloe plant yesterday . so i'm glad I got into this hobby too . if it comes to it I may be making bio fuel too so better buy more corn .
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

All the Kin are already from this area and none of them have recently traveled outside of it.
Before the virus, my better half worked as a "Professional Granny"
Now she gets to play full time with her own grand and great grand babies.

It's been raining too much for the more hedonistic of my kin to sit around the camp fire.
I figure tomorrow they will probably move the portable carport closer to the pond.
And begin having a real long term farm party. It's a shame it's too cold for swimming
I feel sorry for the folks who live in the city and suburbs
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I really shouldn't say anything but you are being very irresponsible Shady, I just hope no damage is done.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I disagree
We are practicing social isolation and having a good time.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

It's ok if folks are staying on the farm at least 2 weeks without leaving, then it's just a fun quarantine. Less time does put others at risk. Enjoy the family Shady.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Tummydoc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 pm It's ok if folks are staying on the farm at least 2 weeks without leaving, then it's just a fun quarantine.
Unless someone has it and gives it to someone else who then gives it to someone else and so on, then it is a disaster waiting to happen and could be capable of overwhelming a hospital all in one go.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

That's why you need to wait out the incubation period
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Tummydoc wrote: That's why you need to wait out the incubation period
That^ If you're a family/social unit it helps to be together. Keeping away too much makes these times harder. Keep your circle tight and make sure everyone is being safe when they have to go out.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Tummydoc wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 am That's why you need to wait out the incubation period
That's provided nobody in the group has it but people can have it and not show any symptoms and pass it on to someone in the group late in the isolation period. That person then goes out into the world and spreads it around passing it on and killing others...or someone gets sick, then you have to wait 14 days from the time that person is no longer sick or is removed from the group, then someone else gets sick and you wait 14 more days...etc

Or your bad decision winds up costing you several members of your immediate family. That sort of thing has already happened. If you have great grand kids that would likely mean you are over 60 so that puts you and your wife in a higher risk group. It would also indicate that family members there are also likely over 40 which are still at risk. But those numbers mean very little when you have an entire group of sick people and this virus can actually get you at any age with any state of health even though the risks may currently be considered low it's only a matter of time before a child dies of it. Do you really want to take a chance that one of your grandchildren or great grand children are that first child?

Even if everything turns out fine for you this will never have been a good decision.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

cranky wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:04 pm
Or your bad decision winds up costing you several members of your immediate family. That sort of thing has already happened. If you have great grand kids that would likely mean you are over 60 so that puts you and your wife in a higher risk group. It would also indicate that family members there are also likely over 40 which are still at risk. But those numbers mean very little when you have an entire group of sick people and this virus can actually get you at any age with any state of health even though the risks may currently be considered low it's only a matter of time before a child dies of it. Do you really want to take a chance that one of your grandchildren or great grand children are that first child?

Even if everything turns out fine for you this will never have been a good decision.

I'm definitely in the high risk group.
The family decided the clan is as safe, if not safer here.
If you don't thinks so, I've got a couple bullheaded daughters that would gladly argue about that
Or any thing else you could think of. :lol:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Tummydoc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 pm It's ok if folks are staying on the farm at least 2 weeks without leaving, then it's just a fun quarantine. Less time does put others at risk. Enjoy the family Shady.
Jaysus. 2 weeks with my family on the farm and a virus would not be the problem. more likely a gunshot.

now i drink for evil.