COVID-19 party

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: COVID-19 party

Post by shadylane »

tombombadil wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 pm The hospitals around here are happy to get a covid patient so they can make back some of the money they lost when they couldn't perform elective surgeries.
That's the way it was around here for awhile.
So, You better "Knock on wood" when saying that.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm
shadylane wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 pm A place were I can step outside at night and piss.
While looking up at all the stars in the Milky way
The day I cant do that will be the day I know Ive taken a wrong turn in life.
Feel sorry for those who never have or cant.
shadylane wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:19 pm But, COVID-19 just remembered it hadn't got started in my neck of the woods.
The local hospitals are getting more cases than they can handle
Fingers crossed here for you and yours.
Funny that should come up, I did that just last night. Woke up and couldn't fall back to sleep so I decided to go outside and check out the stars and see if I could catch any wildlife prowling about. Nothing stirring though. While I was out there I took a piss before heading back in. Medium decent look at the milky way, a little too much moisture in the atmosphere for the perfect view.

Still no cases at my local hospital but it can't stay that way forever the way cases are mounting.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Looking at the stars on a clear night is nice.
But nothing beats a summer night's lightning show :wink:
A couple nights ago, pain from old broken bones and abused joints said it was time to get up for awhile.
Didn't want to awaken the best friend I've ever had, so I snuck out on the back porch alone.
With me went a small bottle of homemade wine and legal MMJ
No sooner than I got seated, my better half woke up and joined me out on the porch swing
So we could keep company while we watched the light show
There was a summer lightning show on the horizon that was almost constant.
It only lasted for half an hour or so, but it did a fine job of it.
By then we were ready to call it a night again.
coppercreature
Novice

Post by coppercreature »

Sounds glorious, Shady. I'm on the outskirts of NYC, listening to the constant barrage of fireworks. Up here it's like 9/11 all over again. Everybody knows somebody who died - cousins, in-laws, grandfathers, siblings, and parents. Turning on the news lately, I feel like I'm watching a horror movie I've seen before. Soon, other states will have the refrigerated trucks taking the morgue overflow, and the trenches dug to take the bodies until funeral homes are freed up. It sucks, and I really feel horrible for what's coming, but sometimes people don't know until they know, you know? Know that aerosols can float around in the air for 3 hours. Don't share your air. Mask it or casket. Don't die, it's bad for you. Geez, maybe I should make t-shirts instead of booze....
Anyway, all y'all stay safe!
4" 4-plate flute and 2" 1.5m packed column, both with BOKA / VM head. Many stainless kegs of various sizes and configurations - TIG is my friend!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

coppercreature wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:12 pm Sounds glorious, Shady. I'm on the outskirts of NYC, listening to the constant barrage of fireworks. Up here it's like 9/11 all over again. Everybody knows somebody who died - cousins, in-laws, grandfathers, siblings, and parents. Turning on the news lately, I feel like I'm watching a horror movie I've seen before. Soon, other states will have the refrigerated trucks taking the morgue overflow, and the trenches dug to take the bodies until funeral homes are freed up. It sucks, and I really feel horrible for what's coming, but sometimes people don't know until they know, you know? Know that aerosols can float around in the air for 3 hours. Don't share your air. Mask it or casket. Don't die, it's bad for you. Geez, maybe I should make t-shirts instead of booze....
Anyway, all y'all stay safe!
[/qu
Yeah!! Round 2 is getting ugly in Texas and Florida. We are committed to protective practices till he vaccine is a available, or treatment begins to have a better track record.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here in my neck of the woods, COVID-19 has begun killing off the old folks.
When I started this post, I jokingly called my families self quarantine a COVID-19 party.
I never imagined folks would have COVID-19 parties with the intent of catching the virous :?:
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

I hate to say it but it looks like large parts of the US are going to get their healthcare overwhelmed, so people will die who should have survived with decent care.
Lack of virus suppression measures is the reason why.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Yep. Common sense just isn't that common. The old folks home in the nearest town to me just had a worker test positive. We'll see were that goes. Hopefully a false positive, if not it could get ugly there.

Prepping up the van for a boondocks run next week. Easy to social distance when there are no people. Just finished improving the telescope porta-pack, it is snug as a bug now. Jupiter and Saturn are in opposition and rising early so we should be in a good spot at ~7,000 feet on Friday for a good view. Here's hoping it's clear out!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

shadylane wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:46 am
On a side note.
Since all the barber shops are closed
I haven't had my spring beard trimming and hair cut.
Not complaining, but all that hair is starting to get in the way of important things.
Like eating and seeing where I'm going
I'd had enough of all this hair. It was either trim most of it off
Or bitch slap, the next friend that cracked a Santa or Moses joke.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

shadylane wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:32 pm
On a side note.
Not complaining, but all that hair is starting to get in the way of important things.
You got to keep the pimp hand strong. :lol:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:32 pm
On a side note.
One of the benefits of thinning hair, I started buzzing my head about 7 years ago. I just hit it with the Wahl clipper and no guard on Mondays before work. Good for the week.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I start getting Santa jokes around this time of year and sometimes take the beard off. Sometimes I don't.

Haven't yet :D
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:29 pm I start getting Santa jokes around this time of year and sometimes take the beard off. Sometimes I don't.

Haven't yet :D
Oh Chris , Never crossed my mind what you looked like . Now I’m seeing Santa . ... not sure if its a good thing or not . :ebiggrin: ..mind you , IIRC , Santas get a lot o beer and Xmas cake not so far off . Got to be a good thing . I recon :wave:
Stibnut
Novice

Post by Stibnut »

I have COVID. My GF and I both came down with symptoms on Monday, which in my case started out flu-like (temp in the 101 F range, dry cough, aches, chills, etc). My symptoms are already getting better, and I don't have a fever today (she never had one). We've got a pulse oximeter to monitor oxygen levels to catch the infamous crash early if it happens, but we're in our 30s and will probably be fine.

One symptom has stuck though. The loss of smell started gradually on Monday and Tuesday but it's absolutely total now. It didn't really hit me until I tried distilling some neutral on my reflux still and was struck by how the only hint of foreshots was a somewhat stronger and more prickly irritation to the nose than the hearts. The physical "burn" of alcohol and congeners is still there, but the odor itself is gone. The hearts was less burny. In the early tails when the fusels normally are concentrated, it was a little burnier again than the hearts, and I felt it a little deeper in my throat. I then took it all the way to cloudy tails out of curiosity and smelled nothing at all. No wet dog, moldy cardboard, smelly socks, etc - it might as well have just been water. Smelled some bleach - nothing. I have a little 2-phenylethanol (strong rose/floral odor) that I got online to identify its scent in distillate. Nothing. Ammonia is irritating but even it doesn't really have an odor per se, just an aggressive prickliness.

There are upsides though. Took a giant dump - no odor. The cats take their own dumps in the litter box and don't bother to cover it as usual, and I'm not bothered in the least! Haven't showered since Sunday night, nor used any deodorant - we're isolated in our apartment, so why should we?

There are drawbacks - food has very little flavor unless it's extremely salty/bitter/sweet/spicy, I can't do an actual spirit run for lack of senses, and there's the occasional worried thought about complications. But hey, gotta take the bad with the good.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Damn, hope that passes soon, with no more complications. Salud
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

An Old Fart I knew got Covid 19 a couple weeks ago, said the symptoms reminded him of the feeling you get after welding on a bunch of galvanized pipe.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

shadylane wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 pm An Old Fart I knew got Covid 19 a couple weeks ago, said the symptoms reminded him of the feeling you get after welding on a bunch of galvanized pipe.
thats nasty sick . milk helps. just finished building a platform for a deer stand all outta galvanized angle even doing it outside it was nasty.
thumbnail (3).jpg
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I always wear a mask with carbon filters when welding galvanized stock. Works great.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

HDNB wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:43 pm Jaysus. 2 weeks with my family on the farm and a virus would not be the problem. more likely a gunshot.
Um, yeah. ^+1 what he said.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Yonder wrote:
HDNB wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:43 pm Jaysus. 2 weeks with my family on the farm and a virus would not be the problem. more likely a gunshot.
Um, yeah. ^+1 what he said.
+1
Some might not make it 24 hours, let alone 2 weeks.
I can hold a grudge.
[emoji16]
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My wife got a Covid-19 shot yesterday :thumbup:
Told her she was lucky, being old enough to be amongst the first to get vaccinated
Damn, that was the wrong thing to say
Figure the lumps on my head will be less noticeable in a couple days. :oops:

I'm kinda telling a tall tale on that one.
It was her age and the fact she's a "Professional Granny"
Her idea of a perfect day, is to play with dozens of infants and toddlers.
Hell of it is, she doesn't even get paid in money. :wink:
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

in my country gobberment drag feet to get vacs.... i am full time at work, campus with young ones... that rotate in medical facilities. i would take 2 please and you are welcome to tell me i am old. 👍🏻for your wive.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I hope everybody can get vaccinated.
Me and my better half, didn't feel a thing after both shots for Covid-19.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good to hear it was so easy Shady. :thumbup: