Hikeing the Pacific Crest Trail

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubber duck
retired

Hikeing the Pacific Crest Trail

Post by rubber duck »

Well I decided to say fuck it and do my dreams. I've been out hikeing the Pacific Crest Trail for the past couple months. So far I've been through horrible storms, got a little frostbite, and I've been re learning how to deal with things on the fly. The virus has made things difficult for resupplying food and replacing gear.

This trip has totally reset my life and I still have over 2000 miles to hike.

Now if I could just get a decent bottle booze. It's a waste land for good whiskey out here on the trail.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Hikeing the Pacific Crest Trail

Post by StillerBoy »

The Pacific Crest Trail hike, at least from what I seen from a movie of it, is quite the hike..

Ya one has to be ready for just about anything..

Best on the journey, and keep us posted..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

It's been interesting. You have to balance being prepared for everything vs what you can carry. Mnt janicinto kicked the shit out of me. My knee is still messed up from that frozen mess.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I live close to the trail let me know when you get to Washington State!
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

When I get up to your part of the trail I'll hit you up. By that time I'll be full hiker trash.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Got any photos that you care to share of things you may have seen along the way Rubber Duck, I for one would be interested in seeing a few.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

If my old ass can figure out how to resize a photo I'll do that.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Don't think you really need to resize anymore. Can just post photos straight from phone.....least I can
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

When you get to Washington, if there are bars opened, I'll buy you a beer. That's a hell of a trek. The lady and I were planning that same trek doing the full length before we had kids and scrapped those plans.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

seabass wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 pm When you get to Washington, if there are bars opened, I'll buy you a beer. That's a hell of a trek. The lady and I were planning that same trek doing the full length before we had kids and scrapped those plans.
When I get that far north I'll take you up on that, if the bars are closed we can just drink a 6 pack in the parking lot.

It's been so great to just get a case of beer and hang out with other hikers. The bars are all closed and it makes it so much better. We just find some booze and light a camp fire. It's much better then hanging out in a bar.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

oh man, soooo jealous. i dunno if i can stand seeing pictures.

i'd so love to shed a whole shitload of real world and spend 3 or 4 months on that trail.

once you hit the border i'm only about another 130 hours north if you want to stop by.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

HDNB wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:54 pm oh man, soooo jealous. i dunno if i can stand seeing pictures.

i'd so love to shed a whole shitload of real world and spend 3 or 4 months on that trail.

once you hit the border i'm only about another 130 hours north if you want to stop by.

That's not to far. I'd walk up that far for a good drink with a good person. It's so funny, I'd walk 100 miles right now for a couple beers and a shower.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

rubber duck savor every second of your travels. I was in the Idaho primitive area for my 21st birthday

(since renamed the frank church river of no return wilderness) 50 miles from the nearest road. panning

sluicing and fishing. by the time I came back to this world I was 23 and still had a back and both knees

enjoy your journey, every raindrop and blister, and all the rest. I hope you meet the same kind of good

people I did. you posting from the trail? I had smoke signals, or 3 shots from my pistol. smooth trails and

down hill all the way. :thumbup:
be water my friend
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I’ll be watching your progress Rubber Duck. Maybe I’ll try and catch you for a pour when you cross the Columbia.

Best of luck.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels