Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shackleford
Novice

Re: Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by Shackleford »

I do believe in vaccines. My uncle had polio. But I’m also no lab rat. If you trust big pharma to crank a vaccine out and rush it to the public without years of studying, to have no ill side effects, that’s fine. I however don’t see the risk as worth it. I’m a firm believer in you do you, and I’ll do me. We may disagree, but I never get mad at someone because they have a mask on or are vaxed, but I have not been given the same respect. We can be different and not be malicious.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:23 pm How many if you remember seeing kids with one leg shorter than the other and having to wear stirrups on their legs all their life having caught Polio before it was made a compulsory vaccine ?
I've seen that. I've been vaccinated against a bunch of stuff for over 60 years starting with polio and smallpox. What's a couple or three more?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Shackleford wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:55 pm I do believe in vaccines. My uncle had polio. But I’m also no lab rat. If you trust big pharma to crank a vaccine out and rush it to the public without years of studying, to have no ill side effects, that’s fine. I however don’t see the risk as worth it. I’m a firm believer in you do you, and I’ll do me. We may disagree, but I never get mad at someone because they have a mask on or are vaxed, but I have not been given the same respect. We can be different and not be malicious.
We are all lab-rats to some degree. Just for the record though, these vaccines have not been "rushed out". The media reporting could give that impression, but while some testing was done in parallel, all of the normal clinical trials have been carried out. And the "new technology" behind the vaccine has been in development since the early 00s. Are the vaccines 100% risk-free? No. But neither is aspirine. Or for that matter, alcohol. You should absolutely make your own decision on what level of risk is acceptable to you, but you should base it on facts, not media hype. :wink:

Edit: I mistyped virus when I meant vaccine. Now corrected but that could cause some confusion
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I now know of about 20 people that have had it. Friends and family included.My sister in law and her 2 small kids(5yrs old and 2yrs old) Seems to be just like a flu. No one died from it or had to go to hospital. I don't believe the hype. During the holidays me and wife got RSV while visiting our daughter and our grandkids (a 18 month old and a newborn) seems to me RSV is much worse. Newborn may have permanent lung damage, only time will tell. But I was sick for 14 days.I know the common flu kills many a year as does Corona ( Corona is not a new virus).
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've had the mumps as a kid. Had chicken pox and measles. I've also had plenty of vaccinations. Hell I was a government pin cushion( army veteran). I'll wear the face diaper where I have to, I don't look to cause a scene. But when the media continues to blast contradictory information from the head of the CDC, and NIH about the efficacy of masks, and the vaccine double speak, and were taking medical advice from people like Bill Gates, it raises questions.
You do you, and let others do what makes them happy. We can have differing opinions and perspectives and still live in harmony. No man has a right to force his will on another.
I wish you all good health.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I'd like to caution the group here. Our rules are simply designed to avoid causing animosity outside our differences with respect to distilling. The recent direction of this conversation, unfortunately, comes into a world where it can lead to division. I ask you gently steer course back center to the original intended op, which is your experience with it, and coming together to support each other.

Thank you.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:32 pm Seen all of that when I was younger Yummy......went to school with kids who wore braces on legs and other body parts due to polio.
Had mumps as a kid........don't remember it being a lot of fun. Did escape any long term effects.
People have short memories.....Been vaxed 3 times my self already.
I was there too. Saw it all.
Had mumps and measles and chicken pox.
We had the first polio vaccine, the big needle.
And we have been three times vaxxed.

My father's father died in the Spanish flu epidemic.

Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Way back when, I remember some folks ranting about vaccination requirements for school children.
After several decades, seems like it was a good idea. :wink:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

My GF got it and must be omicron. We're both vaxxed and boosted. Hers is mild and she didn't lose taste or smell... I've got zero symptoms after a week of being close and intimate without any precautions so whatever that means...

Cheers!
-jb
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 pm My GF got it and must be omicron. We're both vaxxed and boosted. Hers is mild and she didn't lose taste or smell... I've got zero symptoms after a week of being close and intimate without any precautions so whatever that means...

Cheers!
-jb
Blood type seems to play a role. Folks with type "O" blood appear to have extra resistance.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Neither me nor my kids nor my wife had covid problems so far. None of my parents or my wife's parents, too.

My blood type is O(I). Not sure if it's all about it, though...

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The missus and are are both down for the count, figured we got something on a trip to Costco.
Tests came back negative for COVID. Doc says "it's good to see the flu coming back into fashion."
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Doc says "it's good to see the flu coming back into fashion."
:D :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:28 am The missus and are are both down for the count…
Tests came back negative for COVID.
I bet that was a load off. Both of you testing to confirm your statuses straight away could have saved further infections had the results gone the other way.

Hope you both get better soon.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 am
Deplorable wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:28 am The missus and are are both down for the count…
Tests came back negative for COVID.
I bet that was a load off. Both of you testing to confirm your statuses straight away could have saved further infections had the results gone the other way.

Hope you both get better soon.
Without a doubt. Missing a couple days work on top of days planned never looks good, and puts a damper on summer plans.
On the bright side, I can still taste and smell, so I'm going to strip my latest ferment this weekend. SWMBO got symptomatic 48 hours before I did. She woke up sick on the 25th, I woke up sick on the 27th. I feel a little better today after sleeping most of yesterday. She on the other hand, feels like dung again today.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 am
On the bright side, I can still taste and smell, so I'm going to strip my latest ferment this weekend.
Its clear your priorities weren't adversely affected either. :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

:lol: "A man has to do, what a man has to do."
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:23 pm I can understand how there can be a whole new generation that think vaccines are pointless . They have not seen what it was like before vaccines .

How many if you remember seeing kids with one leg shorter than the other and having to wear stirrups on their legs all their life having caught Polio before it was made a compulsory vaccine ?

I’ll also bet none of the current generation or the one before has had family die or suffer deformities at birth due to Measles, Mumps or Rubella .

Vaccines don’t make sense if you have not seen life before them .

Anyway , I digress .
Had my Booster day before last as did Mrs and Son .
Like all the Vaccines , I had barely a sore arm . Mrs copped it really bad for a day and son was a little under the weather fir a day .

Next week we go back to work and face hundreds of filthy little snot gobblers that despite officially us all having to wear masks , there will be the usual shit fight to get them yo wear them .
I agree about the vaccines. The polio vaccine drastically reduced polio. Unfortunately we've been lied to about the efficacy of the covid vaccine. They were supposed to have an efficacy rate of 90+% but that was an obvious error. (Or lie) And not just with the omikron. I caught delta 2 months after I got the vaccine. So did my wife. She got the Moderna, I got the j&j. It seems now that the big pharma is full of shit and still pushing shots that don't work so they can get big money from our government. Today's generation may have no faith in vaccination, but can you blame them? Vaccines used to work.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

the government could take some lessons from Huck Finn.

it's not that people don't trust the vaccine so much; they don't trust the gubberment. instead of "mandating" and "forcing" people, they should have had a "lottery" for the lucky few people that would be allowed to get a vaccine.
If the special people that simpleton's idolize are the "lucky ones" that get it, cause they are special.... and the only way for the average bloke to get a chance for salvation is if he "wins" a lottery....people would have been signing up in droves a lot faster.

no one would have figured out that the chance of winning an orderly spot in line for a vaxx would be 1 in 1....until they were all jabbed.

marketing 101.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Agree to disagree. While the US is stuck in the “mandate” spiral, looking more and more authoritative the rest of the world is dropping restrictions.i am not saying the jab is good or bad, get it if you want it. But look at the facts; there are now palliative pills that do what the “vaccine” does, lessen the symptoms and severity. If half the world moves on, as appears likely, are we going to lockdown all travel and international commerce for the sake of being “right?” It is a virus. It’s alive, mutating, and adaptable. Animals carry it now. If Someone gets sick its no ones fault. I’m sorry for those that passed but that’s over now. The vulnerable succumbed. The “unvaxed” are no more likely to infect you than the “vaxed” and, if you get it, you have the “vax” or a pill to protect you. Sorry, the admins should have killed this contentious threat long ago.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I understand that after two years of FB discussions, YouTube videos and talking heads on Fox news everyone is now an epidemiologist, but this is the first pandemic in the modern era with global reporting and vaccines. Which means that we'll know how right or wrong the decisions made were some years after this has passed over, when people (who understand what they are talking about) have had time to crunch the numbers. And when the next one hits, this will be the benchmark by which future decisions are made. Which is no consolation for those of us living through it. There are obvious take-aways right now, but I'm far too cynical to think that any state is likely to increase the beds in intensive care and the corresponding number of permanent staff needed for them.

The animals have been getting it since the start, but the primary transmission vector has always been human-to-human. It's not because your dog has the sniffles now, that you can throw your hands up and say what's done is done! :-)

Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Back on topic please. I would really rather not see this thread shut down.
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:18 am I'd like to caution the group here. Our rules are simply designed to avoid causing animosity outside our differences with respect to distilling. The recent direction of this conversation, unfortunately, comes into a world where it can lead to division. I ask you gently steer course back center to the original intended op, which is your experience with it, and coming together to support each other.

Thank you.
:)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I suppose I should start by advising mods to delete this post before anybody reads it.

I've been biting my tongue about this because I didn't want to get the thread locked but few people seem to want to stay on subject so...

Let me start by saying most people think vaccines are a wonderful thing including those being labeled as "anti-vaxxers". Those so called "anti-vaxxers" are perfectly within their rights to be skeptical. These are the first mRNA vaccines in history to be approved by the FDA and they were rolled out faster than any vaccine in history so it's absolutely true that those being vaxxed are guinea pigs no matter what we are being told.

Then there is the whole media thing where virtually every news organization is spewing verifiably false information and tech is not allowing actual factual info through if it doesn't suit the narrative of their agenda.

Then there is the fact that a certain person stated "The FDA is under enormous pressure to approve a vaccine" in reference to why he wouldn't trust a vaccine developed under a certain administration. 6 months later he was trying to force everybody to take that same vaccine that he himself swore couldn't be trusted because the FDA was under such enormous pressure to approve.

Now lets get to those "trials" that resulted in those vaccines being approved. People were given apps to download on their phones with pre selected possible side effects. Neurological issues weren't on the list so could only be reported in person and people who suffered from those side effects not pre selected on the app say there was little interest by the people conducting the studies and they went unreported in the final reports.

I know 3 women, all unrelated who have had bad enough adverse side effects to have to go to the ER. My wife for what looked for all the world to be a stroke and 2 others who had heart issues. Then there is the small town in North Carolina where multiple people suffered something called Bell's Palsy after getting their shots. So the statement that risk of side effects is 0.002% is pure D Bullshit!

Now how about the fact that the vaccine is quite ineffective. I doubt it played any roll whatsoever in my latest bout and the FDA has only just recently began even acknowledging natural immunity for this crap.

One more thing, if Covid were a drug it would be FDA approved given it's low mortality rate and the skewed numbers used to even achieve that. People who were sick were moved into nursing homes with old people who already had multiple commorbidities, but not yet covid and suddenly that state's numbers and the amount of money and attention they received went up. Surprise, surprise! Then there were verifiable murders labeled as Covid because the people shot had it...etc...etc...etc the falsifications to boost numbers was ludicrous.

So, am I against vaccines? Absolutely not, I'm pro vax but not pro forcing people to take it against their will and think it's idiotic to fire first responders and even snow plow drivers for not wanting to get it then whining and bitching when we don't have enough of them.

How am I doing after my latest bout?

I still have a cough, particularly bad in the morning and shortness of breath at times but much better, although I did have to cancel the heart stress test I had scheduled for next week because I doubt I could make it far on the treadmill.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

be water my friend
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

probably a good idea to close this thread if this continues.
i wish nothing but good health to all, but this stuff is not conducive to a happy distilling forum.............more like faecesbook.
cranky wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:12 pm I suppose I should start by advising mods to delete this post before anybody reads it.

I've been biting my tongue about this because I didn't want to get the thread locked but few people seem to want to stay on subject so...

Let me start by saying most people think vaccines are a wonderful thing including those being labeled as "anti-vaxxers". Those so called "anti-vaxxers" are perfectly within their rights to be skeptical. These are the first mRNA vaccines in history to be approved by the FDA and they were rolled out faster than any vaccine in history so it's absolutely true that those being vaxxed are guinea pigs no matter what we are being told.
we certainly are in a big trial, hopefully a good one. the mRNA tech has been around for decades but covid forced the expansion. as for speed, the scientist can now do in hours what use to take them a year.
we have come a long way from cutting someone on the arm and smearing it with the pus from a cowpox lesion to combat smallpox :)

Then there is the whole media thing where virtually every news organization is spewing verifiably false information and tech is not allowing actual factual info through if it doesn't suit the narrative of their agenda.
link us up with your facts please

Then there is the fact that a certain person stated "The FDA is under enormous pressure to approve a vaccine" in reference to why he wouldn't trust a vaccine developed under a certain administration. 6 months later he was trying to force everybody to take that same vaccine that he himself swore couldn't be trusted because the FDA was under such enormous pressure to approve.

Now lets get to those "trials" that resulted in those vaccines being approved. People were given apps to download on their phones with pre selected possible side effects. Neurological issues weren't on the list so could only be reported in person and people who suffered from those side effects not pre selected on the app say there was little interest by the people conducting the studies and they went unreported in the final reports.

I know 3 women, all unrelated who have had bad enough adverse side effects to have to go to the ER. My wife for what looked for all the world to be a stroke and 2 others who had heart issues. Then there is the small town in North Carolina where multiple people suffered something called Bell's Palsy after getting their shots. So the statement that risk of side effects is 0.002% is pure D Bullshit!
have you got a link to the story about the NC case?
bells palsy has shown up after covid jab, but slightly less than than the usual pre-covid, and also shown up in placebo groups. a report on 38,000 participents had cases of bells palsy, slightly less than the usual cases pre-covid, which is about 15-20 per 100,000

Now how about the fact that the vaccine is quite ineffective. I doubt it played any roll whatsoever in my latest bout and the FDA has only just recently began even acknowledging natural immunity for this crap.
can you link the medical report?

One more thing, if Covid were a drug it would be FDA approved given it's low mortality rate and the skewed numbers used to even achieve that. People who were sick were moved into nursing homes with old people who already had multiple commorbidities, but not yet covid and suddenly that state's numbers and the amount of money and attention they received went up. Surprise, surprise! Then there were verifiable murders labeled as Covid because the people shot had it...etc...etc...etc the falsifications to boost numbers was ludicrous.

So, am I against vaccines? Absolutely not, I'm pro vax but not pro forcing people to take it against their will and think it's idiotic to fire first responders and even snow plow drivers for not wanting to get it then whining and bitching when we don't have enough of them.

How am I doing after my latest bout?

I still have a cough, particularly bad in the morning and shortness of breath at times but much better, although I did have to cancel the heart stress test I had scheduled for next week because I doubt I could make it far on the treadmill.
i hope you both get well soon
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Yeah, what I said earlier; it devolves into “my study can beat up your study.” What bullshit. Take it, don’t take whatever. Just don’t try to use the coercive power of the government to force your desires on someone else. But no, you gotta be “right.” You realize that doctors, DOCTORS, have condemned people to death for not taking the vax by refusing life saving operations & transplants? Children are being traumatized and denied learning? Just recently over 1000 pilots for UAL were put on unpaid leave for not getting the jab - UAL is losing 700,000 a week because of it and the pilots can’t access their retirements or get another job because they are technically still employed. Tens of thousands of businesses closed, hundreds of thousands of jobs lost because of fear of a bug with a 98 pct survival rate. And everyone, everywhere WILL get it. Yeah. Close the thread.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

But only one side has the study.. and the anecdotal , subjective , " my rights" crowd that does not, seem to consider it an acceptable loss that hospitals are crippled under the burden of the free choice 10% that are 60-90% of the patients in hospital.. The same hospitals that can not provide life saving services to innocent people because of lack of beds, surgeries,staff, etc. They bray on about how omicron is less severe but forget to mention it infects more and faster.. And had already surpassed the Delta peak for deaths. Stop drinking the stupid flavour cool aid. 2% of the US population is almost 6.5 Million people... That is an acceptable loss for you?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Yonder wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:16 pm Tens of thousands of businesses closed, hundreds of thousands of jobs lost because of fear of a bug with a 98 pct survival rate.
Guess that's it in a nut shell.
98% survival rate VS short term economics.

2% die, but even worst is the millions of folks that have long term medical problems.
When they start filing bankruptcy, that will fuck up the economy in the long term
I think the logical thing to do is get vaccinated.
I'd bet money if anyone got bit by a rabid critter.
They wouldn't get their politics and medical needs all crossed up. :lol:
Last edited by shadylane on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

Oh, and doctors, I mean DOCTORS!! have been triaging patients for a long time, it is normal and let's be honest.. Why waste the time on a lost cause right? Would you lend your drunk brother your new truck to drive home after the party?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I shall bite my tongue and stop checking this thread! :wink: