Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by nerdybrewer »

My positive test result came back yesterday morning.
So far seems mild, like a bit of the flu.
I don't intend to be one of those members people end up asking "whatever happened to xxx?".
So I will update here when I'm able, and I'm able now.

Anyone else have this thing, or did have it and are over it?

Of course for the time being I'm drinking only cool clear water, being in quarantine sucks giant hairy donkeyballs.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by Expat »

Nope, no one I know has it, and none of them know anyone either.

Where do you figure you bumped into it?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I live near the outbreak in Washington state so who really knows?
Trying my best to kick it and then I'll have antibodies.
Mainly concerned for my wife, she is presumed positive because of proximity to me and she has the same symptoms.
She's had pretty bad asthma for about 25 years and ends up in the ER when she gets the flu.
Trying to help her not go into pneumonia, not that there's a lot we can do.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Yikes, hope you're both feeling better soon.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your family, Nerdy. Wish you to get thru it safe and in no time. Keep on posting, don't scare us with your silence, man.

P.S. Have not heard about any relative gotten this fashionable flu, so far.

har druckit för mycket
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Stay safe man, get lots of rest, water, and keep in touch!
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Sorry to hear about that. Do you have abnormal symptoms outside of say just a normal flu?

Seems lots of people have had it with mild symptoms or many that maybe don't even realize they have had it.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Get better you have more likker to make
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Sending out positive waves for you Nerdybrewer

I'm pretty sure I had it in January, back when they were saying it wasn't transmitted from person to person and they would only test you if you had just returned from Wuhan. At the time I had been exposed to hundreds of people arriving from China. I had a fever that came and went and a case of Pneumonia. While fighting that I accidentally coughed in my wife's face in my sleep and gave it to her. It took me 7 weeks to fully recover and my wife has been having blood sugar and kidney issues since. I would go down and get antibody tested to be sure but that would cost $150 for each of us and we don't feel it's worth the expense right now.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

nerdybrewer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 am

Anyone else have this thing, or did have it and are over it?
My wife's niece in Hawaii didn't get it, but her husband (they both work at a hospital in Honolulu, HI) and visiting mother did, back in December. It passed, undiagnosed, but kicked their ass. As healthcare workers, they are convinced it was Wuhan virus.

Our thoughts are with you and your wife.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery 🙏
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Dewstiller wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 am Sorry to hear about that. Do you have abnormal symptoms outside of say just a normal flu?

Seems lots of people have had it with mild symptoms or many that maybe don't even realize they have had it.
True enough, I believe that if testing was cheap and easy we would learn something interesting about the stats.
My feeling is that there are way more that get it and get over it than is being presented to us all.
Then again, I'm not very trusting of government nor media.
Here in my state they have been caught red handed counting gunshot victims as Covid deaths.

We have congestion in the head and chest but so far pretty mild.
I had a headache for three or four days that wouldn't go away.
Minor aches and pains.

We are able to work from home and have ample sick leave so that part is as good as it can be.
I do not like asking people to help me, though we do have friends and family nearby who would drop everything to lend a hand.
We can shop online for necessities and friends / family can pick up and deliver to us.

Reminds me, I'll go refill my water bottle.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Tough break Nerdy: I haven’t worked in 2 months and I’m taking all the precautions. Lots of cases of covid in my area too. Please take care man. And keep a close eye on your wife. I his thing hits the respiratory system hard sometimes.
Best regards
JBC
JBC
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:54 pm Tough break Nerdy: I haven’t worked in 2 months and I’m taking all the precautions. Lots of cases of covid in my area too. Please take care man. And keep a close eye on your wife. I his thing hits the respiratory system hard sometimes.
Best regards
JBC
Thanks Jelly,
Definitely watching and reminding her to keep on top of her health.
I'm a bit of a nuisance but that's better than the alternative.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Take care, Nerdy, and especially the Mrs., keep us posted.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hope you and your wife get behind this quickly. No infections in our house. My son also has asthma and has been in the ER several times. We now have extra steroidal and rescue inhalers as well as more concentrated nebulizer product just in case and a pulse ox meter. Might order a couple bottles of oxygen too just in case.

Take care and let us know how it’s going. I’ll do the same.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thank you Jonny, yes we have those things also but not the Oxygen.
If it comes to that she will be in the hospital.
Hoping it doesn't come anywhere near that, for all of us.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

best wishes nerdy, no symptoms here on the other side of the state so far, fingers crossed.

a family friend in socal got tested because of asthma and got a positive with no symptoms

she has passed 2 weeks with no symptoms. the youngest (2) got a mild fever, husband and 4

year old also got no symptoms. she's now donating plasma as often as practical.

she is the only one in the family who got tested.
be water my friend
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Keep on keepin' on brother. wishing a speedy and trouble free recovery for you and the missus.

pretty sure i had the thing, un-diagnosed.... just the fever at night, i felt like a post-menopausal woman with the hot flashes but never really felt "bad", just tired as hell...and coughed my brains out usually starting at 930 at night until the cough syrup knocked me out (never helped the cough, but helped in losing consciousness.) and then first thing in the morning. pretty sure ventolin is what got me through that coughing bullshit.
what i had was less congestion but more coughing than a cold, but no where near as sick as i've been on seasonal flus the few times i had them.(as in feeling "bad") it was hard to breathe, but for no particular reason, it seemed.

try not to compound it with stress. just eat good and stay hydrated. i tell ya, one or two aspirin seemed to be a bit helpful, but ended up sucking on ventolin and i'm not asthmatic. lasted almost a month. then the wife seemed to pick it up, she lost her smell and taste had a small cough and felt better in about 7 days. (she can't tell one hot flash from another though :roll: :lol: ) then the daughter...she had a sore throat for 15 minutes and coughed twice. (actually about 3 or 4 days, but was basically one of the symptom free young people)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Damn be well, Nerdy!!
I'm good here but a few of my co-workers got hit really hard a few month ago before covid was known to be in the USA. They were working on setting up the CES show in Las Vegas, all of them spent days in their hotel rooms not even able to move until their SO"s came to bring them home, they also got infected . Since it was unknown at the time the promoters of CES still claim that no covid infections happened at the convention.
Maybe that's a coincidence that two thirds of the exhibitors were from China and the majority of the attendees were from New York, San Fransisco, and Seattle, all three epee-centers off the virus.
Wishing you well, and if this sugar deals comes through pounds coming your way.

Be well and stay safe
OVZ
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thinking of you,

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Will keep my fingers crossed for you n Mrs Nerdy.
Hope all goes well.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Wow, well it really is all over the board with how it affects people.
We still just have minor congestion, no fevers, headache, did have sore throat but it's better.
If my symptoms continue to get better and have no fever then I can come out of quarantine on the 29th.
Lets see, that's a Friday... Dungeness Crabbing is opening back up on the coast...
I might have to take a drive, wonder what next weekend's weather will be out in Westport?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

oh buddy(((, take care well!!!!!!!!
get well soon!
Hope to see you distill soon..

cheers
In search of Dream whiskey.................
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

nerdybrewer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 am My positive test result came back yesterday morning.
So far seems mild, like a bit of the flu.
Of course for the time being I'm drinking only cool clear water, being in quarantine sucks giant hairy donkeyballs.
I'm sure you are getting a buttload -(distilling term) of advice.

Praying it stays mild my friend.
:angel: :angel: :angel:
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

cranky wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 am Sending out positive waves for you Nerdybrewer

I'm pretty sure I had it in January, back when they were saying it wasn't transmitted from person to person and they would only test you if you had just returned from Wuhan. At the time I had been exposed to hundreds of people arriving from China. I had a fever that came and went and a case of Pneumonia. While fighting that I accidentally coughed in my wife's face in my sleep and gave it to her. It took me 7 weeks to fully recover and my wife has been having blood sugar and kidney issues since. I would go down and get antibody tested to be sure but that would cost $150 for each of us and we don't feel it's worth the expense right now.
As a Canadian, this is one thing I just can't understand. If we want to stop the spread of this thing, we need to test people, and charging $150 to be tested? just seems so stupid.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I hope you get a ton of crab for both you and your wife in the coming weeks! That would be good all the way around. :thumbup:
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:44 pm As a Canadian, this is one thing I just can't understand. If we want to stop the spread of this thing, we need to test people, and charging $150 to be tested? just seems so stupid.
As a Putinlandian, I suppose they would better hold us in the state of lack info, as long as they could... in that way it's much easier to manipulate, squeeze money of pop-eyed TV-users and so forth.

The most stupid thing that happened to me in the morning: I'm called to a special police department for changing my passport, but there's a whole list of points how to register properly in advance, to wear that f*n muzzle diaper and so on. Otherwise, I shall be fined for coming on their call.

har druckit för mycket
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:27 pm to wear that f*n muzzle diaper and so on.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: classic :thumbup:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:27 pm
GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:44 pm As a Canadian, this is one thing I just can't understand. If we want to stop the spread of this thing, we need to test people, and charging $150 to be tested? just seems so stupid.
As a Putinlandian, I suppose they would better hold us in the state of lack info, as long as they could... in that way it's much easier to manipulate, squeeze money of pop-eyed TV-users and so forth.

The most stupid thing that happened to me in the morning: I'm called to a special police department for changing my passport, but there's a whole list of points how to register properly in advance, to wear that f*n muzzle diaper and so on. Otherwise, I shall be fined for coming on their call.
With just a little more constricting of your rights you could be a "Washingtonian".
Cranky's spoonfeeding: