Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by The Baker »

All the best to everyone.

Geoff
The Baker
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Toxxyc wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:26 pm Both my parents tested positive this week. We've seen them a few times over the past week, and this morning I woke up with a very slight cough. I'm fairly certain I have the Kung Flu now, although I guess we won't know unless I take a test.
Come on man it's time to put that racial slur shit away, it's not the kung or the wuh, it's SARS-CoV-2.

I hope that you and your parents recover.

Stay safe
OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

shadylane wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 pmCompare past statements and predictions. With what has actually happened.
Then judge whether to believe what they say about the future :wink:
Amen Brother!
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Ended up with it again a few weeks back. Thankfully this time it was just a fever of 103.8 for a week and loss of ability to smell. Back to (mostly) normal and out of quarantine again.

Still have decreased stamina for physical exertion, I expect that to improve over the next month or so like last time. Hope all is well with everybody.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Twice is definitely unfortunate, but your post is quite informative thanks.

wishing you a speedy and full recovery.
be water my friend
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

DSM Loki wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:57 am Ended up with it again a few weeks back. Thankfully this time it was just a fever of 103.8 for a week and loss of ability to smell. Back to (mostly) normal and out of quarantine again.
May I know please, how long has elapsed between your cases?

Cheerups!

har druckit för mycket
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:48 pm
DSM Loki wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:57 am Ended up with it again a few weeks back. Thankfully this time it was just a fever of 103.8 for a week and loss of ability to smell. Back to (mostly) normal and out of quarantine again.

Cheerups!
Just chiming in here, between my two infections was August until December.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Yonder wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:16 pm August until December
And,,, the second case was the easier one, eh?

har druckit för mycket
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The first case has been a little less than easy for about 2,874,972 world wide........just ask the familys and friends who are still alive.
If I lived to get a second dose I'd consider my self pretty lucky.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

:?: :?: :?:

I mean if the same person got sick again then this second time has a lower severity and a shorter duration of the disease or not.

har druckit för mycket
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

It seems to vary. For some the second is worse, for others it's easier. The specifics of how the immune system responds to Covid-19 aren't really understood yet.

But given that some of the other coronaviruses in the wild cause the common cold, and that we get sick from that every year, I think we can expect to be living with this one for a while, albeit a little less violently.

Edit to add - I seem to be fully recovered, but nearly 3 weeks after the first symptoms I do still need way more sleep than I used to!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote:

Cheerups!
15 months between cases for me. I've been lucky with it so far but I know that many have not.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 pm
Yonder wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:16 pm August until December
And,,, the second case was the easier one, eh?
Yes...and no. 1st one lasted 4 days. My temperature was 99, 101.5, 102.2, 99. No other symptoms but DAMN that was hard. Shaking like a leaf for 2 days. 2nd bout I would wake up fine then about mid afternoon my temperature would climb to 100 and stay until late evening. No other symptoms but that lasted 10 days. I just felt like shit but not sick. So, yes the second was much easier but annoying and tiring. By the way I am 67 and in pretty health.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Thanks for your comments, folks. Be safe, go in for some common immunity improvement. If you want and can :)

har druckit för mycket
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Got my second Pfizer today. Made me real tired
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

First shot today.....8 hours ago......only side effect seems to be thirst, having a large UJ and soda to fix that.
On second thoughts the thirst could be normal.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Thanks Nerdy for sharing your experience having COVID-19. I’m so happy you got through it. And to all here who have had it, I’m thrilled you’re ok. Dying is not a good thing for the survivors. I’ve had 2 family members die last year. Non COVID deaths. The deceased are free of pain, we the survivors are not.
This hobby we all love so much is Science based. If we do it wrong we can potentially kill our self’s or someone we love. I think we forget to follow the science sometimes in life. For all here who have got your vaccination or are planning to, good on ya mates!
Please, for the love of family and friends, schedule your shot today.

With the greatest humility:
Jellybean
JBC
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Sorry for your loss jellybean, but agree with your post. Get vaccinated, tell the folks you care about that you love them. I've always felt funerals are for the survivors but my wife hates when i say that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I see nobody has posted in this thread for a while but figured I might revive it.

If you don't know it already the whole saga is very long and drawn out. If you'd like to read it it can be found here ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85159 ) but the short version is my wife and I got Covid extremely early on and recovered but then some medical issues came up requiring Mrs Cranky to need surgery which also required us to get vaccinated. We got our 2nd shots in September and shortly after Mrs Cranky had what for all the world appeared to be a stroke. Fortunately after many tests and much money nothing was found and there were no lasting effects. We feel it was a reaction to the shots. With many hours of research I found other reports of similar things after getting the shot but don't really want to get into that.

So... fast forward 3 months and people who are "fully vaccinated" that I work with are beginning to come down with "Break through cases
of covid. I've been doing my best to avoid people in general because of the impending surgery but my efforts weren't good enough. Sunday when I got up to go to work I had a headache, sore throat, cough, stopped up nose and some other cold symptoms which I shouldn't have because I just got over a cold so I took a rapid test and it was positive :(

So I called in and told them, then texted my bosses and people who needed to know. I was ordered to not return to work for 5 days and the hoops I now need to jump through and told I had to get approval to return to work on the 6th day.

So far overall its a pretty mild case. Pretty much like a cold. I had a little trouble breathing early on but that seems to have gotten better. Now I just feel like crap in general and am tired but already sick of being in bed. Today was better than yesterday and I expect tomorrow will be better still. I don't expect I'll be out of commission past the 5 days my work requires.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Boy Cranky if your wife’s problems weren’t enough for one family. Hoping a praying for you and yours.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:24 pm Boy Cranky if your wife’s problems weren’t enough for one family. Hoping a praying for you and yours.
I know!!! Seems lately we can't win for loosing :roll:
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I'm just getting over it for the 2nd time. 1st time was Mid March, I had all the classic symptoms, fever, aches, and a foggy head for 2 weeks. And I just got my first shot the week before to boot. About 3 weeks after, I received the 2nd shot. About 2 weeks ago, I felt like I had a mild cold, but went and got tested anyway. It came back negative. The "cold" seemed to get worse, but no fever etc..but I felt I had it.

At the end of last week I lost my sense of taste, and had some congestion, foggy head and I knew I had it. Unfortunately, because of the false negative, I gave it to the guy who works with me, (vaccinated, but not boosted) and he's a little rough. My wife just got boosted prior to me getting it, and didn't get it.

Overall it wasn't too bad, and after 2 plus weeks, still a tiny bit tired, and a slight cough at night.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Damn Cranky I feel for you and the ms's. At work these days we are getting tested daily and a few are testing positive so happy for the testing.

Stay safe
OVZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Covid sucks
My wife and I have been sick with it since Xmas.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

At the rate that the new variant is spreading here it wont be long until a lot of people have it......up until this point we have been very very lucky in this country.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:45 am At the rate that the new variant is spreading here it wont be long until a lot of people have it......up until this point we have been very very lucky in this country.
Yup .

Tomorrow mw and Mrs Yummy are off for a test.

We’ve been super careful , wearing masks , minimising trips , doing the covid sign in and using hand sanny .
But Christmas / New year has bought friends and family and they have arrived double vacced but with coughs colds and sore arseholes .

So we managed to get a few RAT kits in town and friends were all negative .

Now I been sick , started with sore throat and several days of snot ans sneezing ( which I put down to the usual Hayfever U get ) , but now Missus Y is fewling like a bag of shit .

So today I had a doctor phone consult were he basically said you either got cancer because you smoked 15 years ago or you most likely have covid so go have a PCI test .

BTW , I told him I have had two RAT tests and both negative .
He told me RAT test usually show negative in first few days of symptoms , but if it’s covid, will show positive about day 4-5

Well getting a PCI test is a shit fight around here . Basically only 20% that turn up get tested , rest get sent home . …. And its now 10 days for a result .

Anyway , tomorrow we will play the game and hopefully it was nothing more than the yearly pox
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My work provides me with rapid tests for free. I test every Thursday before going back to work after my Wed-Thu weekend to make sure I don't have it. As usual I tested Thursday and was fine, then Mrs Cranky thought it would be nice if we cooked breakfast for everybody at work for New Years day. So we made what is known as Baconpalooza where we cook 15#s of bacon ( 3 different kinds) the night before then at work I heat the bacon in the oven and cook 4 dozen scrambled eggs with cheese, leaving a dozen raw eggs for those who might want eggs another way and have various bread products and some other options plus I make pizzelle cookies which are very popular. So Friday just to be sure I tested again and it was also negative I also wore a mask while cooking and was meticulous about washing my hands and cleaning.

I felt fine Saturday but then felt bad Sunday so tested again and it was positive.As soon as I knew I texted everyone who ate breakfast and let them know.

Other people I know have had the same thing happen, they don't test positive until they are symptomatic. I think this is day 4 for me and I'm feeling a lot better as long as I don't try to do too much. I still have many of the cold like symptoms and get tired quickly and am a bit short of breath but think it's going much better than when I had it 2 years ago.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

If the quick tests are anti-gen (I assume they are), then they seem to have a fairly high false-negative rate for asymptomatic cases. My daughter had three of them in the space of two weeks... and at the end of that period my wife and I went down with Covid. Given we were isolating as my daughter was a contact case the only place we could have picked it up was from her. But she tested negative all three times.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Interesting Normandie,so did you and your wife show positive to a PCR test or a quick test ?

BTW , me and mrs are now sitting in a 5 hr que for our tests . Should have bought a few GnT’s
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Numbers are rising fast throughout Australia now. People are hoarding supplies and rat tests not to mention price gauging on tests from chemists. Fun times ahead ..not