Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by NormandieStill »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:52 pm Interesting Normandie,so did you and your wife show positive to a PCR test or a quick test ?

BTW , me and mrs are now sitting in a 5 hr que for our tests . Should have bought a few GnT’s
Both. By the time we got it, France had ramped up testing and the quick test was same-day at a local pharmacy and once they got a positive result (around 10mins) they took a second sample for a PCR. Got the result from that the following morning along with the variant that I had!

My wife's first test was back at the start of the crisis and sounded a lot like your experience. She joined the queue an hour before they opened doors and there was 3hours worth of people in front of her. They had already started turning people away before they let the first ones in. Took 8 days to get the results back from that one.

Edit to add: We were very symptomatic. Full-on flu symptoms, shivering, feverish, stuffed-up nose, tired.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Interesting experience in the US-

I dropped a friend off at a government run site to get his booster just before New Years. He got in a line of a few hundred cars on his bicycle, the workers saw him and waved him to the front of the line, there he told them he wanted a shot and got sent to the vaccine line. He was the only one out of hundreds that wanted a vaccine.

People will wait for hours to get a test so they can go to a football game or concert but no way you're going to get a vaccine in their arm!

I'll be polite. Sheez, people are interesting!

Before anyone theorizes those people were already vaccinated, around here the vaccination rates are about 60% for the first dose.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Damn, ya'll are making me feel kind of guilty because I have 5 rapid tests sitting on my coffee table right now. My company sends them to us 6 at a time but I need to use at least one tomorrow before they give me the OK to return to work and possibly more after that but I've seen the lines.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

elbono wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:41 pm
I hear Ya elbono. :thumbup:
I'm also polite and find people interesting, until I'm endangered.
Then become vocal and tell folks how stupid and selfish they are.
Last edited by shadylane on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’ll say .
First half hour in the carpark que , everyones masks on and windows up .
By hours up , most masks gone and the windows are down .
Then the smokers one by one get out and have a fag . ( and I gotta say , I didn’t realise how many people still smoke)

By hour two folks hanging out their windows having a general old chat .
By hour three , quite a noticeable amount are oit of their cars and having good old chinwags , no masks .

And then I realised that going by latest statistics that 32% of covid tests are positive and the numbers if folks in each car that probably every second car had a covid positive person in it ….scarey .

Like Salty said , we have had it really easy here in Aussie , and we dripped our guard foe a few weeks before Xmas and now shit has really hit the fan because we have all been so lucky for so long .
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

I was vaccinated in June, caught the delta in August. Right before our road trip to south dakota. Fortunately I was out of quarantine a couple days before we left. The shit part was i lost my taste and smell for several months after. I had zero energy for about 10 days, sweat like a whore in church, but never had a fever or any other symptoms. I'm in Washington state so I'm surprised I made it as long as I did. But it was also during the time period when they were still saying "get vaccinated, don't get covid" you'll make it through it. It's really not any worse than the flu.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I got my first shot yesterday because it took this long for me to determine who was lying to us. :? :?

my final determination. Every last one of them. :evil: :evil:
be water my friend
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

cob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 pm I got my first shot yesterday because it took this long for me to determine who was lying to us. :? :?

Absolutely!!
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

cob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 pm I got my first shot yesterday because it took this long for me to determine who was lying to us. :? :?

Perhaps Cob , but it seems you have thought it through and made the right choice .

I gotta say I have never been keen on flu vaccines in the past and like you , put it off , but this is a bad fucker .

If I get it and only end up with mild symptoms because of having being vaccinated , I’ll be happy . I don’t expect the Vaccine to bubble wrap me , just help me cope with it easier .

Strangley ….. or not so strangely , its the un vaccinated that have caught the pox that are filling our hospitals and holding up other folk from getting the help they need .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

+1 Yummyrum. I got nothing to lose at this point except my life. considering the events of 2 weeks ago, it's at least an even bet.
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

cob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 pm my final determination. Every last one of them. :evil:
I reckon that frees things up to make your own choices,
the one you made is the right one IMO.
hikertrash
Novice

Re: Anyone else got the 'rona?

Post by hikertrash »

I popped positive yesterday even though I've had 3 rounds of vaccine. Not feeling too bad, but certainly worse than any side effect from the shots. Can only imagine this woulda really put me on my ass if I hadn't prepped my immune system first. Get them shots people! Anyway, I stripped a rum yesterday and set up 2 more 20 liter batches. Unfortunately, I don't have much wash/mash backlog to run while quarantined.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

So far so good.
We are double vaccinated and today we go for a booster.
The omicron variant has increased the number of positive cases by a massive number though apparently the seriousness is less.

We have a family weekend planned mid February and will all (maybe twenty of us) have a rapid test beforehand.

Best wishes to all!

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good luck Geoff .

Apparently you need to look really really close for that second line .
As this guy found out .

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/breaki ... ea3931703b
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

My youngest(7yo) came down with a case over Christmas. He did fine, bounced back in a couple of days. My ex got it from him and she's been knocked down by it in a bad way. When she came down with it, I took him and we quarantined together. Good thing we had Santa's goodies to play with(AND that I can do a lot of work from home). My other kids are still negative. I'm still negative(I'm vaxxed, but some people have always said that I was negative :D )
My 98yo grandmother in Las Vegas contracted a "breakthrough" case on Christmas also, but she only had some congestion.

I'm hoping Hawaii gets shut down again.... kinda, sorta. It was just so wonderful not having tourists here. And the first shutdown is what gifted me the boredom to proceed into this HD rabbit hole, it definitely gave me the lemons I needed to set up the lemonade stand. It also knocked 15 seconds off of my Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times on the racing simulator and gave me some time to start playing with the amazing PCP airguns on offer recently.

No, it hasn't been all fun and games. When it first hit, my ex tried to move all the kids back to the mainland without my ok. So they were stuck there for months during the lockdown and I almost drove myself crazy, but, made it back(it's all relative, pull the wool over your own eyes). But that's what no sleep will do.

We all just have to keep moving forward, no matter how little. Reminds me of an old Taoist interaction between student and teacher.
Student: "what happens when we die" Teacher: "this happens when we die".
Same S4it, different day, just you're not here. Everyone else keeps going.

Anyway, sending my best to everyone.

Sincerely,
Josh

P.S. May all of us please remember that compassion and empathy should not be reserved for only those that also carry our opinions(Even the dumbest M0t4erFu&&er on earth can teach us something).
I.E. We drive on the roads together, shop in grocery stores together, send our children to school together, there's no getting away from us being together unless you go total hermit. The foundation for proper communication between humans has been there for longer than I can even wrap my head around. So treat people as neighbors.
Even though I may or may not be working on a certain Fuckerburgs house, please get off that social media $4!t, it's no good for anyone...at all.
Get off that stuff and talk to neighbors. Even if you think you know they are wrong. It's in your grandchildren's interest.
I've tried not to mention it, but....my grandfather died from polio 6mo before the polio vaccine came out. Took 'em 10 years to get that out.
Not sayin' anything is perfect, but considering the alternative...
Just relaying my experiences.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

My step son and his girlfriend are both vaccinated and boosted. (Wa state) They are both home from work with the covid. My step daughter is unvaccinated. She's also home in Idaho with it as well as her husband and 3 kids. I'm happy I've already dealt with it, curious if I'll end up with it again. The 2 that are vaccinated have a minor case so far, the unvaccinated step daughter has gotten a fairly bad case. Body aches, fever, etc. There's a 10 year age difference between them which may have something to do with it, or it could also be the vaccine making the difference. With all the conflicting information out there, it's really hard to say. The government certainly doesn't make it easy to believe anything they say. (And I'm referring to both this administration as well as the last)

Thomas Sowell
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 pm
Strangley ….. or not so strangely , its the un vaccinated that have caught the pox that are filling our hospitals and holding up other folk from getting the help they need .
+1

My wife's best friend works in the COVID trenches as an RN at a medium-size hospital and has shared regular status reports of the virus amongst those within our group. In 30yrs on the job, she has never had to face anything like COVID - not the exhaustive added personal safety work protocols, not the cruel, hurtful bullying that virus-stricken patients dump on her and her staff who are charged with their care and recovery, and certainly not the grave sense of despair from watching so many patients die on her watch. At the height of the delta virus, it was not uncommon for us to receive from her a distraught, tear-drenched call at all hours of the night, sometimes after a bout of alcohol 'therapy' failed to console her.

But of all her reports of COVID's destruction, the one that stands out (for me) is that '9 out of 10 of her patients who died were unvaccinated', and virtually every one of them (who could) managed to whisper out a last regret: "I should have gotten vaccinated".
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

shadylane wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 pm
I hear Ya elbono. :thumbup:
I'm also polite and find people interesting, until I'm endangered.
Then become vocal and tell folks how stupid and selfish they are.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i got such mixed feeling about this whole shitshow. i guess i'm somewhat fatalist and semi-apathetic about it all. I got the original strain of this thing before it was cool.
never really felt all that sick but the coughing was awful and didn't stop for about 5 weeks. two years later my lungs have never recovered, i always feel out of breath (or at least like i need more air) until i build up a head of steam doing some work and things start working more efficiently.
i got an echo of the original thing about 8 or 12 weeks after the original, it may have been a different virus...dunno... but the wife got it that time and lost taste/smell.
i was late on getting vaxxed, i was a) not really concerned because i had the thing already and b) though it prudent to see what happened with the first guinea pigs. but none the less got double vaxxed last dose about 2 months ago.
today i sit here with the omni version. a bit tired kinda feel like shit. bit of sore throat and slightly running nose from all the sneezing. wife is the same, slightly less symptomatic. it's like i have a cold....which i do....with a fancy name.
what i don't get is the insanity and hatred and blame and ostraciz-ation....all of these ridiculous countermeasures masks, vaccines,social distance, shuttering the economy have not made any difference to the transmission and evolution of this life form as it races through the world and continuing with the same measures (doing the same thing over and again expecting a different result) seems the epitome of insanity.
mother nature is going to play the game the way she wants.
or to put it another way, when your number comes up, it comes up. people live, people die. it sux. (the dying part) it ain't fair but it's a fact, everybody gets one.
all you can hope for is you are 15 minutes in heaven before the devil knows your dead.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Damn
Omicron Covid is supposed to be milder the Delta.
Now I know what originally killed off the old folks in nursing homes.
This shit just keeps ponding you down and wears you out...
Ya can't breath, Ya can't rest or sleep properly
Slowly Ya start loosing the fight.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well I truely don’t know much about the first Corona’s .
Thankfully our Australian mob locked us and our boarders down hard .
We never really experienced the levels of chaos that the rest of the world experienced .

It was almost surreal seeing the sickness and death outside Aussie . Having said that , we faired as out figures climbed , but thankfully , we got in top of it ( read we topped about 1500 new cases aday in NSW ( Sydney ) and it dropped back to around 100 and all seemed good .

Most if the population managed to get vaccinated . The bosses wanted to look good before Xmas so dropped all the restrictions ….. bammm … three weeks is all it took . We are now over 30,000 cases a day

I’d say Aussie is now going to be as fucked as the rest of the world .

Our testing can’t keep up . Folk aren’t even bothering to get tested as it means you have to stay self isolated until results come back ….. used to be 24-48 hours . Now its about a week …. Iff’n you don't get a message that tour test is so ild its no longer valid . … some folk have waited 14 days for tests to come back

Yup this new ones a bastard for sure Shady .

Wearing me out . I’ve been home waiting for my results so long I’ve run out of sugar and gas .

This one got me by surprise .
And I don’t even think I got it … just a pox going around .
Still , can’t di shit ‘till I get a Negative ….. when ever that will be .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I don't know which strain I currently have but I'm having the same sort of trouble as others. Can't seem to get enough air and can't stop coughing. My work says we are required to take 5 days off if we catch it with the possibility of extending to 7 days if needed then need special permission to extend past day 7. Saturday was day 7 for me and I am still short of breath and coughing but went to work yesterday. I made it about 15 minutes before my boss walked up and told me everybody wanted me to go home :roll: I told them the CDC says the chances I'm still contagious are only 15% so only one of them will catch it from me...(and everybody else will catch it from him :crazy:) but he said they don't care that I look and sound like shit and shouldn't be there and to text if I'm not any better Monday.

So, here it is Monday morning and I am up at the usual 4:30. I started to get ready but like yesterday it was exhausting and the coughing started and I just got back in bed. I'm about to text my boss and let him know that I won't be in once again and try to figure out what hoops I need to jump through to get paid.

I will say even though it sucks this is certainly nowhere near as bad as the original stain. That one hit much harder.
Last edited by cranky on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Hope you're better soon Cranky.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

cranky wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:03 am I don't know which strain I currently have but I'm having the same sort of trouble as others. Can't seem to get enough air and can't stop coughing.
I can't give medical advice but I would recommend reading Rapid Virus Recovery, https://www.ebay.com/itm/184949075652?c ... c5f7a15193 . No I am not selling it, that is just the first one that showed up on the duck list so I could provide a link with details.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I got it, bad. Its ironic, my 68 year old mother gave it to me and she barely felt anything. Here I am 38 and fit and I have been down for 9 days. We were both vaccinated. Day 10 now and still feel like my lungs are at 10% capacity. Really would like to get some stuff done, but sitting around sounds a lot nicer when making coffee winds ya.
:)
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Ben wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 am I got it, bad. Its ironic, my 68 year old mother gave it to me and she barely felt anything. Here I am 38 and fit and I have been down for 9 days. We were both vaccinated. Day 10 now and still feel like my lungs are at 10% capacity. Really would like to get some stuff done, but sitting around sounds a lot nicer when making coffee winds ya.
When I caught it I felt just like what you're describing. But I was really bored being home by myself and my 5th wheel needed new roof vents. So I went inside, set my phone down on the counter, unscrewed the inner vent trim, climbed up onto the roof and realized I didn't have the lung capacity to get down again. Lol I was staring through the roof vent at my phone still sitting on the counter and couldn't do anything about it. I laid up there for about 45 minutes and finally got the energy to get down again, but I learned something that day..

Thomas Sowell
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'm really not looking forward to catching this thing, for many years I smoked a couple packs of cigarettes a day, I guess that hasn't gone a long way toward helping lung function.
When I get the flu now I feel a lot like what you guys are describing.......this shit sounds worse though. On the up side , not had a smoke in about 6 - 7 years now.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well done Salty :thumbup:
Bastards are hard to kick .

Funny , last week I had phone consult with GP as I had Covid signs . He was more concerned that I had been a previous smoker ( 15 years ago ) and that some sort of smoking related issue was more of a possibility and concern than Covid .

I am booked in for a chest X-ray . Can’t say the buggers aren’t being careful . It would be easy for them to put any symptoms down to Covid and leave it at that .

By the way ,it’s been nearly 6 days and no covid test results back yet . :yawn:

My son who was here at Xmas come down with same pox a day or so after me and got tested in Sydney , he got his Negative results today .I know I’m OK but , rules is rules .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I tried to go to work again today but once again 15 minutes after getting there was sent home :( I don't feel all that bad today but still coughing and short of breath but felt I could handle it. The problem now is it's cutting into sick time I need to save for when my wife has her surgery.

The good news is nobody I cooked for the day before my symptoms started have tested positive.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:38 pm I'm really not looking forward to catching this thing, for many years I smoked a couple packs of cigarettes a day, I guess that hasn't gone a long way toward helping lung function.
When I get the flu now I feel a lot like what you guys are describing.......this shit sounds worse though. On the up side , not had a smoke in about 6 - 7 years now.
It's very similar to the flu with a little bronchitis thrown in with it. But you also lose taste and smell as well. That was the worst part for me. I quit most every bad habit that I had, and food was all I had left.

Thomas Sowell