Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by Ben »

I never lost taste or smell. I did lose all energy, day 11 still feel lethargic. That's alright, got rye wash made yesterday anyway, just took it slow and easy, napped during sacch rest.
:)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm getting better. Today I actually laughed without it sending me into a severe coughing fit :D
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

And I've got it again! I had booked my booster vaccine for saturday and went to bed last night with a paracetemol and a very stuffed nose. It was worse this morning and having been squeezed in between two other patients at a local pharmacy I got a postive result on an antigen test within about 7 minutes.

7 days of isolation and the kids aren't going to school. Might be the perfect moment to get some mashes started.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Make hay while the sun shines :)
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Man, everyone in my area is getting this omicron variant. Pretty sure I have it. Earliest I could even schedule a test is like 5-7 days out. Currently having to wait in the urgent care parking lot for 3hrs for walk in testing…. Looks like I’ll have some time to browse HD. Lol
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

People here in Washington state are getting hit hard again. Seems like everyone I know either has it or just getting back from having it. So far I haven't gotten it again, hopefully I don't. I saw a professor from one of the elite colleges (didn't catch the name, but it's a lady that I thought was a man until she started talking) and she was saying that the vaccine and subsequent boosters are going to cause a Parkinsons outbreak in the coming years. Is she right? I have no idea. I classify the statement right up there with all the other "information" that's floating around out there. I find it hard to believe anyone anymore when it comes to this virus. I just hope that the one vaccine shot (j&j) and catching the delta is enough to be immune. The booster does nothing to prevent catching the current variant so I really don't see the point. I guess if you're unvaccinated and haven't caught it yet, it might be a good idea to go get the shot so you don't get as sick, but I don't think I'm getting any boosters until they have a better grasp on how well they work. This is just MY opinion, yours may be different. Do what works for you.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

My thought. Everyone on Earth will, sooner or later, “get it.” Everyone. It’s a virus, like the flu’s a virus. You don’t “defeat it,” because it’s alive and adapts. At first it killed the host. Not a good plan, all in all. So it changed and will keep changing because being unsuccessful means it dies and doesn’t reproduce.
Arguments about the bug, masking, etc., are silly. You believe what you believe. Attempts to change someone’s mind after over two years always, always, ends up as an argument, then a “my study is bigger than your study”, and finally people start trotting their junk out on the table to see who’s is bigger. A total waste of time and electrons. Live free or die, your choice, Wuhan doesn’t care.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

And there goes my sense of smell again! I can hold a bottle of peppermint essential oil to my nose and breathe in deeply and while I can feel the menthol, I get just the faintest hint of mint odour.

Omicron is outpacing Delta, not because it doesn't kill the host, (because in any case a patient with delta will generally manage to infect a good few people before the host dies), but because it is more virulent. It can infect more people for the same exposure. I'm hoping that it will out-compete the other variants and eventually become another form of the common cold, but it could still go the other way.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

here another part i'm not sure i get...why do people dash out for test at the first sign of sniffles? is the idea that if i "just" have a cold i'll go out and spread it around, screw everyone else? or an underlying fear of death? I mean my doc always told me if you have a cold /flu, stay home, there's nothing i can or will do for you....
in a different but connected thought, my daughter is a paramedic and she goes around and picks up people and deposits them at a hospital. often times (and i mean more often than not) there is no reason for it...she shares stories of the mentally ill attention seekers that are lonely, indigenous people that need a taxi ride (they don't pay for ambulance service and taxis are expensive) people with minor injuries like a cut finger that needs a bandaid, people with hangovers....
there is a common misconception that if you take an ambulance to the hospital you get treated faster....which is completely false. what you do get is a bill for about 500 bucks (unless you are senior, mentally ill or indigenous), that other thing that happens is you tie up resources for people that actually need the service like an accident victim that is bleeding out.
I guess what i'm saying is don't be like the guy last night that nicked his finger cooking dinner and walked out to the ambulance with his wife, past their two cars and got into an ambulance for a ride to the hospital that they could see from their front door step.
My daughter (by rules and regulation) is required to stay with her patient until she can turn them over to the nursing staff....who were swamped with other such attention seekers....ended up 4.5 hours doing nothing, while a "code red" (or whatever they call it) was going on in the city where the wait for an ambulance extended past 45 minutes (or whatever the cutoff is) for people that were actually in need of medical attention. I mean 45 minutes is a long time to wait if you are experiencing a nice little heart attack for example, or are pinned in your car from a wreck....

don't be one of those people.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:50 am And there goes my sense of smell again! I can hold a bottle of peppermint essential oil to my nose and breathe in deeply and while I can feel the menthol, I get just the faintest hint of mint odour.

Omicron is outpacing Delta, not because it doesn't kill the host, (because in any case a patient with delta will generally manage to infect a good few people before the host dies), but because it is more virulent. It can infect more people for the same exposure. I'm hoping that it will out-compete the other variants and eventually become another form of the common cold, but it could still go the other way.
When I caught delta, I couldn't smell anything at all. The only thing I could taste was Walmart brand coleslaw. I could just barely taste the vinegar in it. Right after I got off quarantine we took our vacation to South Dakota. I was looking forward to buffalo steaks, buffalo burgers, but instead we went to the Perkins restaurant next to the motel 5 days in a row where I ordered eggs and hashbrowns for every meal. There was no point in going anywhere good to eat. Hopefully your senses return soon. Mine took 3 months
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:43 am here another part i'm not sure i get...why do people dash out for test at the first sign of sniffles? is the idea that if i "just" have a cold i'll go out and spread it around, screw everyone else? or an underlying fear of death? I mean my doc always told me if you have a cold /flu, stay home, there's nothing i can or will do for you....
Because they are being told to.
In my state everybody was told "you need to test before any holiday gatherings", "you need to test before any holiday travel", "you need to test all your entire family before they go back to school after winter break", "if you feel sick you need to get tested"...etc. It goes on and on and on so everybody rushes to the testing sites and now we have a huge backlog to get the people who need it tested.

On a different note...
I was reading a thing on common Omicron symptoms and loss of smell is not one of them. It said that few people with Omicron are reporting loss of smell or taste. Most Omicron symptoms are upper respiratory although lower back pain is also listed, which seems odd to me but Mrs Cranky had bad lower back pain while we had our latest bout of Covid.

By the way, we are much better now but still have lingering coughs and shortness of breath but it gets better every day.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glad to hear you are both on the mend. My guess is everyone has slightly different experiences with the virus. We have ordered tests online and now ordered additional tests now that they are free. We will save them and only use them for home tests upon the recommendations or give them to a family member or friend if they are in immediate need of a test.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

In an attempt to reduce the "down time" when isolating, the French government decided to lean heavily on testing. The result being that as recently as a week ago, you needed to book a test at least 3 days in advance. The current protocol for a contact case in my kids' primary school is self-test on day 0 (when you are notified), and days 2 and 4. As long as the tests remain negative then the kid can stay in school. Since I had it and we didn't want to test our younger ones every two days we kept them off school for week. We tested my second this afternoon as she wanted to go back to school and it turned out she was positive... and so is my youngest. So now we have to get them tested again in a lab to get a confirmed result, and my wife (who has consistently tested negative since I caught it) gets to continue testing herself for another week! There are now numerous cases in each class, but the state is determined to keep as many children at school so rather than just close the doors for a week or two until everything calms down, they have to stay open, and just accept that while the labs and manufacturers of self-tests are making a fortune, the virus is spreading in a totally uncontrolled manner. But we have elections coming up and people are sick of lockdown, so no-one is going to make that call!

My smell came back gradually over a couple of days. My nose was pretty blocked and inflamed, so I'm not sure it was the same as last time. A friend has it, and has a head cold and lower back pain so go figure... Í have chronic lower back pain anyway so I'm not sure I'd have noticed.

Glad you're both getting better Cranky. Did Mrs Cranky manage to reschedule the op?

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Be sure of your test site, You may be buying this guy another lambo!!

And not really getting tested!!!

https://news.yahoo.com/wedding-photogra ... 23361.html
be water my friend
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:31 pm Glad you're both getting better Cranky. Did Mrs Cranky manage to reschedule the op?
Thank you.

We haven't gotten a date yet but it may now be as much as 3 month out.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Just found out my daughter has it.
She would have been more at risk than most, she is a palliative care nurse.
So of course her husband had a test, no results yet?

And a grandson and his partner both have it.
They are in Queensland, a long way away...

All have been vaccinated and I think all have had a booster...
None of them seriously ill...

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Take care Geoff, you don't need that shit at your age.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

My wife and myself had minor cold symptoms, no big deal, a week later no smell or taste. I reckon we had the omnicrud strain. Sure wish i could smell my ferments, trying out a beer for the first time, last thing my wife smelled was that beer wort and she said it had a funky smell.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:52 am Take care Geoff, you don't need that shit at your age.
Thanks, Salty.
We won't be meeting with any of them until tests show they are clear.

Geoff
The Baker
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Still fighting this crap from the first. Anything more than a walk and I go into debilitating coughing fit. Whatever strain it is can suck it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A well known man (84 years old) in our fairly small community has just died,
and someone who should know said he died of the Covid.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Happy it wasn’t you Geoff . Stay safe mate .
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

This morning my wife got a call from one of her longtime co-workers, currently quarantined at home after he tested positive at work. His mother, also positive had just been discharged from the hospital, apparently recovered enough to go home. During the night she began to re-develop difficulty breathing and by the time the paramedics got there she had died.
My wife’s co-worker had no recent direct contact with his mother, but they think a niece (recently home from college who is also positive) may have originally infected her. The niece (and entire family) is understandably devastated, but I think this is an example of why it’s critical for everyone to get tested even prior to the first sign of symptoms if sufficiently warranted.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Seems that my wife and I are a rarity. We haven't really changed our habits at all in the last two years, and neither of us has had so much as a sniffle since we got the flu back in 2018.
Nobody in the house is vaxxed.
Almost everyone we know has had it at least once, jabbed or not. One couple, both jabbed and otherwise perfectly healthy, have had all three variations.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:26 am Seems that my wife and I are a rarity. We haven't really changed our habits at all in the last two years, and neither of us has had so much as a sniffle since we got the flu back in 2018.
Nobody in the house is vaxxed.
Almost everyone we know has had it at least once, jabbed or not. One couple, both jabbed and otherwise perfectly healthy, have had all three variations.
I'm pretty much in the exact same boat.

I keep living my life the same as always and I, nor my wife, have caught it. Not even once. Nor my 3 kids. None of us have any shots.

But several people I know have had it 3 times and they got the hat trick of Vaxxes and boosters.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Shackleford
Novice

Post by Shackleford »

Same as hillbilly and deplorable. Me and mine are no vax, no sickness, nothing. I live very rural but work all over the western US. I haven’t changed any of the ways as to how I operate, and have gone on as business as usual. Never worn a mask(gasp!) I live in a rural community but we all live different lives, none of which are isolated, and yet nobody has gotten sick. We’ve have party’s, bbqs, and Goodtimes together just fine. I’ve always had the theory that if I don’t go looking for problems, they just don’t show. I believe the media is the biggest virus we’ve ever encountered, and putting down the phones would go along way.

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.” -Thomas Jefferson
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

The "only" advantage with the jab is that your body knows to fight it as soon as it takes hold in your system. The "novel" part of "novel coronavirus" indicates that the virus is a brand new thing (not a variation of a normal cold virus). That means the virus will have an extra few days of infiltration before your immune system "sees" it. If you're comfortable with the risks of systemic infection versus 0.002% chance of an adverse vaccine reaction, let it roll.
Last edited by ThomasBrewer on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Shackleford wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:28 pm Same as hillbilly and deplorable. Me and mine are no vax, no sickness, nothing. I live very rural but work all over the western US. I haven’t changed any of the ways as to how I operate, and have gone on as business as usual. Never worn a mask(gasp!) I live in a rural community but we all live different lives, none of which are isolated, and yet nobody has gotten sick. We’ve have party’s, bbqs, and Goodtimes together just fine. I’ve always had the theory that if I don’t go looking for problems, they just don’t show. I believe the media is the biggest virus we’ve ever encountered, and putting down the phones would go along way.

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.” -Thomas Jefferson
Masks are to protect those around you, not really to protect you. Surgeons don't wear surgcal masks to protect themselves. You may all have been very lucky. You may also be unwitting beneficiaries of everyone else's efforts. If the people you encounter in daily life are vaccinated and / or masked then they are helping to protect you.

Vax / don't vax... but don't mistake anecdote for data. I've had it twice and while I'm not necessarily "in my prime" I'm far from being a high-risk case. It was pretty harsh the first time around and lighter but still unpleasant the second. I've not been that ill from a simple virus in many decades.

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I can understand how there can be a whole new generation that think vaccines are pointless . They have not seen what it was like before vaccines .

How many if you remember seeing kids with one leg shorter than the other and having to wear stirrups on their legs all their life having caught Polio before it was made a compulsory vaccine ?

I’ll also bet none of the current generation or the one before has had family die or suffer deformities at birth due to Measles, Mumps or Rubella .

Vaccines don’t make sense if you have not seen life before them .

Anyway , I digress .
Had my Booster day before last as did Mrs and Son .
Like all the Vaccines , I had barely a sore arm . Mrs copped it really bad for a day and son was a little under the weather fir a day .

Next week we go back to work and face hundreds of filthy little snot gobblers that despite officially us all having to wear masks , there will be the usual shit fight to get them yo wear them .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Seen all of that when I was younger Yummy......went to school with kids who wore braces on legs and other body parts due to polio.
Had mumps as a kid........don't remember it being a lot of fun. Did escape any long term effects.
People have short memories.....Been vaxed 3 times my self already.