Getting that boat?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Getting that boat?

Post by Odin »

Thanks. More to come for sure. But first ... a vacation with the family in law in Hungary. Leaving (by car) in a few hours.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Well, we are in Hungary! Here is a pic of the overnighter we did in Germany ... And of the family in law gathering that took place yesterday evening. The 10 liters of bio wheat vodka, 10 liters of my gin, and 10 liters of rum served us well!

1c96356b-6c13-4354-9f6d-f89164319528.jpg
8f912092-f5a3-49c0-9207-ad8adc6dd277.jpg

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Looks like a great day Odin. Although looking at those cans on the table I'd say you ran out of your likker :D

Would be able to do that where I live. We are in stage 3 lockdown - no gatherings like that are allowed and masks are compulsory from tomorrow.

Which means I don't have to share my likker :)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Looks like a great time Odin! I count nine people there and 30 liters of likker? Whoa! Suspect there were some leftovers :)

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

... enough to survive another day! ;)

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Boat tanks and fuel are being cleaned, while we are on holidays. Ah, the joys of "honest" sellers and "professional" technical experts and boat judges!

7c73466b-2333-41c1-bbcd-d4beb7dc4273.jpg

Regards, Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

What year is the boat and what hours are on the engine?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

2007 and 650 hours only, Bushman.

Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Wow, pretty low hours should have years of enjoyment!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yeah, that is the goal. We bought a boat that was very well-build and had low engine hours.

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

When in Hungary, visit the circus. It is very much ingrained into their culture and you won't be disappointed. This night we visited Richter Florian's Circus in Siofok. Amazing show!

9c7af77a-f6ec-4b68-88a3-657b9ce0a73f.jpg
f2a73b0d-ea67-4505-9a53-f8b2cf5067fa.jpg
4ffe1829-4593-4042-99ac-144732e44961.jpg

Regards, Odin.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Odin I'm in Budapest too, so let's have a drink at my favourite bar in the centre. Are you close to Budapest?
Black Hearts
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

We are at our holiday house in Siofok. An hours drive. Curious to find out what your fave bar is, mate!

Odin.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Fantastic. I'm off to Italy for a few days on Sunday, then to France for a few days. I love a certain craft beer place that I go to regularly in Budapest, and it would be an honor to invite you. Any idea if you will be here tomorrow?
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Or tonight? Lol
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Black Hearts, we might travel to Budapest tomorrow. In the morning. We could do lunch together ... Pls. reach out via Odin@iStillmail.com.

Odin.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Roger. Sent
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yesterday evening we visited my brother in law on his sailing boat. We had dinner together at the marina and that turned out to be a positive surprise. I had the double hamburger (a pound of meat, I'd say). The missus went for the trout.

This evening the wife has a high school reunion in Budapest. Tomorrow we'll have another family party, where we'll probably be smoking some of the fish that has been caught over the last few days. From Monday onwards we'll stay at a winery/estate for a few days. Thinking about renting a boat here at Lake Balaton for some daytime cruising after that.

Here are pics of yesterday's dinner:

4eb2ee04-9764-4749-b9cd-2d08af811293.jpg
84dfdecd-687f-44e4-8dc9-f9f2791781ba.jpg

Regards, Odin.
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Looks great!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Man I loved the days I was allowed in Buda. It was interesting, and alive in some places even under the the Soviet. But grey back then. No color of life. I’d love to see it now.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Well, it has always been a vibrant city to me, Yonder. I first visited 30 years ago and fell in love with it.

Yesterday, I had dinner with my daughters and then went for a stroll. Here are some pics you might enjoy.

Regards, Odin.

40eb3969-c50f-4a34-91f2-9235b1f71976.jpg
515ded4c-e3bb-4a44-b4eb-52debc3a0804.jpg
63326327-f813-4e04-a008-05cb7cfe9e8a.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Pictures above are of Heroes Square, celebrating Hungarian landfall some 1100 years ago. "Landfall" as in migrating into the Carpathian Basin.

Underneath a picture of the Vajda-Hunjadi castle remake at the City Parc:

c4bba05c-fcd2-4efb-892d-d673db8faec4.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Good food and fun at Lake Balaton!

69884599-117c-4896-ac8f-04a10510cde4.jpg
c81cc3ae-1329-424b-9f65-fc5146cff7c5.jpg
10a71e76-99b0-496c-adb7-ab7528ed6fb6.jpg

Regards, Odin.
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Looks like you're all having a lot of fun. Is that a Hungarian BBQ? What are the dishes, looks amazing!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

BusyHive wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:02 am Looks like you're all having a lot of fun. Is that a Hungarian BBQ? What are the dishes, looks amazing!
Looks like a version of the Spanish Paella recipe
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It is a Croation shrimp dish actually. Bake some onions and garlic in oil, add loads of tomato paste, bring it to a boil, now add the shrimp and cook 'm. Ad parsley abbundantly just before you stop the boil. Pretty darn good!

Yesterday we did a hike up Somloi Mountain. Walked some 6 miles in total. Seeing the castle and the view in general made it totally worth it. After the hike, we rehydrated over some beer and water at a nice Hungarian restaurant. I had the Duck Testicel Stew together with the famous "Strapacka" (a sort of noodles made from potatoes, sheeps cheese and bacon). Wine tasting after that, but first some pics of the hike:

1f2aee34-b6e8-45ca-9b80-c91636d81a86.jpg
a57ec1d9-537f-4393-9b7e-ff538fba6164.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Odin and Blackhearts meeting for a coffee and a beer in Siofok, Hungary!

001e512d-b2e8-4eaf-9f6c-c123f7a97eef.jpg
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Had a lovely time! We need to do that again soon!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

What a great brotherhood here. We are like the United nations, (without the corruption and less infighting!) By the way Odin, that coffee has a nice head!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

That coffee was nice indeed! The day before yesterday we dropped our youngest daughter off for a week of leisure amongst those of her own age in Kecskemet. The missus and I then rode to Csaszartoltes, close to Hajos. A small village with 1,000 wineries. Let that sink in for a few seconds ...

We had a great meal with wines selected to go with the dishes. Next day we drove around the Hungarian steps and ended up at Szoke Lajos's Gemenc Distillery. Hungary's only whiskey distillery. I tasted his rye and his single malt, as well as the barrel of "Odin's Whiskey" that we distilled together some 4 years ago. Pretty good stuff!

After a great meal together and a 2 hour drive back to Lake Balaton, today was mostly about catching up on some work-related issues. We almost have the new website ready. There were like 80 emails that needed an answer. I am (finally) prepping a few runs on my "Hungarian" iStill 100 to test the new probe & app. More on that tomorrow.

Odin.

PS: Underneath a few pics of our visit to my good friend Lajos: