Getting that boat?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Getting that boat?

Post by Odin »

For over 20 years I have always felt attracted to boating, where I saw myself cruising the oceans, visiting other continents. Having worked 80+ hours per week since my teens, about a year ago (yeah after turning 50) I felt it was time to follow-up on that dream. Not head over heels, but in small steps.

First I took my boating courses. One and two. Inland and off-shore. Then I did the vhf-radio course. Then my wife got involved. She has 1 and 2 in and goes for the vhf-exam this very weekend.

Secondly we did some trials on various boats and started to find out what we enjoy and what not. Motor yacht, not sailing. Outside steering position, not inside (only as a back-up), since we both really like the connection to the water it gives.

Two weeks ago we finally hired a boat (according to above specs) for a long weekend. We loved it and learned much more about what we wanted. 15 meters is too big. 12 would be perfect. Needs to run silently. Minimum of 4 fixed berths. Preferably CE-B category (sea going), so we can build up expertise inland and off-shore. Airco would be helpful. Steel, not polyester. Not saying those are the only choices, just saying they are our choices.

Last week we found a 12m30 long steel kotter with only 635 hours on it. Engine basically just broke in. Generator and more is basically new. Full teak interior. Sea worthy (but not ocean going). The expert that we had check-out the boat tells us it is one of the most sturdy boats he has ever seen. The welds, the finishing, the solutions: never the cheaper option, but professional versions that one usually only sees on commercial vessels.

Double water filters, fuel filters, heck even "hair from the shower" filters. 1200 liters of juice translates to potentially 3600 km or 1900 knots of max range. Radar, AIS, wash/drier, extra fridge, extra freezer. Build for long trips, but small enough to navigate smaller inland waters too. Bilge keels, so we can ground her during ebb.

Full ship inspection (with the expert) was yesterday. Faults found were minor. One closet didn't close properly. The radar signal did not get through to a display. The light in the toilet didn't work. Current owner is going to fix that and it looks like we actually have bought our first boat. We'll sign the contracts tonight and the adventure (or the beginning of it) can begin probably about a week later!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Getting that boat?

Post by Bushman »

Congratulations, I am hoping that next year with our new boat I can pilot up to Alaska. Our boat has all the amenities as well including satellite dish and two TV’s in which will probably never or very seldom get used. Along with all the regular stuff you would find in a smaller boat galley, ours has two stainless steel sinks, a microwave, and a wine cooler. Does your new boat have bow and stern thrusters? Looking forward to following you and your families journeys.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Congratulations Odin! Owning a boat can be a wonderful experience. I’ve been boating most of my life and was considering the same dream as yours until life threw me a curve ball a year and a half ago. Afraid I’ll have to live vicariously through your posts from now on. Please keep us posted on your adventures and some pictures would be awesome.
Take care and I hope y’all really enjoy your boating life.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Lived on boats for a decade and worked at the national maritime museum. Love boats. But we all know that a boat is a hole in the water, usually surrounded by wood, steel, fiberglass or concrete into which you pour money. After all, the very word "boat" stands for Break Out Another Thousand. :lol:
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Long as that transom in good shape.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Well, taxation report is ready and we just heard the seller is fixing the four minor points that the boat expert found. We are signing the contract tonight and will take possession of the boat and sail her back from Friesland to our nick of the woods (130 miles) though inland waterways and over lakes next week or next weekend.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I'm happy for you both!
The best days in a mans life, when he first buys his boat and when he finally sells his boat.
So you've made a best day for both you and the seller!
Congratulations, I hope everything runs perfectly and all your days and ways are smooth!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's a pic:

Regards, Odin.

1e85586b-346f-4a3b-a609-6830520dd69b.jpg
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Beauty! Congrats, glad it worked out.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Bushman »

Great looking boat, you will make some great memories cruising and meet a lot a good people.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Very nice!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Beautiful craft, Odin.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks gents!

I will name her "Liquid Management".

I thought that very applicable on multiple levels.

Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Odin wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 pm Thanks gents!

Odin.
My boat is named “SEAduced”
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Chauncey wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 am Long as that transom in good shape.
True story. I was working at a boatyard in Berkeley back in the 80's. A nice young couple had a wooden sloop hauled out doing a pretty serious restoration on it. At one point the lady, petite and beautiful walked in to the Chandlery and asked, as sweet and innocent as you please: "could one of you guys caulk my transom?". There was dead silence and to the credit of all four guys that were there, none of us even cracked a smile. The guy behind the counter said as cool as you please, "yes mam, I'll start a work order". As soon as she left we were simply dying with laughter!

Odin, beautiful boat. Enjoy!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Odin.
Great name!

I was guessing, "Still Waters" :)

Cross flow condenser
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Good one, Expat. If I ever get another boat may I please use that one? 8)
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Okay, I wouldn't be myself if this new hobby weren't about ...

Long story short: started designing my own boat. This first one will be called "Liquid Management", but when I have my design ready it will be called "Perfect Cuts".

Ship architect is coming next Monday. I am applying my distilling knowledge to boat design. Replacing vapor speed with non-drift liquidity as a term in boating.

It might be quite revolutionary or quite the cl*ster f*ck. But I think the former. Looking to design a boat that does 9 knts at half a gallon fuel burn.

And my models predict we can do just that!

Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Expat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Odin.
Great name!

I was guessing, "Still Waters" :)
:thumbup:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

GCB3 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:43 pm Good one, Expat. If I ever get another boat may I please use that one? 8)
Up for grabs!

Cross flow condenser

Post by Bushman »

Expat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:49 pm
GCB3 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:43 pm Good one, Expat. If I ever get another boat may I please use that one? 8)
Up for grabs!
It’s all yours, I just renamed our new boat the same as our old and had the name from our old removed. I get more positive comments on our boat name and my wife loves it.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Other than bein a “stink wagon” instead of a real vessel with a suit of proper canvas, she’s a beaut Odin. Greatest catch. Love the name. My first was “Miss Adventure” and second the “Parrot”. Always wanted to name her the “Passing Wind” but SWMBO would have none of it.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I got a pirogue called chaunceys baby mama
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

that's a nice cork to bob around on.
in the same vein of "it's never too late" i started my own airship adventure. no water for many,many miles in the middle of the Canadian prairies and the little bit that is here is really stiff for 10 months of the year, so the sky was the logical choice.
if the thunderstorms every lay off for a minute, i'm close to earning my "license to learn"...then it's time to go shopping...
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

hello!!
enjoy your long time dream to be a reality! have a wonderful time and cover as much as possible this hidden world....If you plan coming to wards South Korea let me know. I will be happy to distill and drink with you))))))

Ravi from beautiful Korea...
cheers
In search of Dream whiskey.................
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

HDNB wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:34 am i'm close to earning my "license to learn"...then it's time to go shopping...
I know I am guilty of getting off of Odin’s OP topiC, however, I have to give a shout out to HDNB for soon to getting that license to learn. It’s a major achievement! That was the true love of my life besides my family and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. For a first plane, a Cessna 182 is hard to beat.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The happiest time is when you buy a boat
The next happiest time is when you get to sell it.

So, I'm told :lol:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Well, the boat is now officially ours. Driving up there this afternoon with a car full of bed linnen, cutlery, plates, tools, maps, and who knows what. Also a good time to check up on the small repairs that needed to be taken care off. On Monday we'll take her on her first "official" trip. We'll sail her via the Frisian Lakes and the former South Sea (now IJsselmeer) and the Amsterdam - Rhine Channel to a location just 10 minutes from where we live.

Odin.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Nice one Odin,
She looks really smart. I own a 16m steel ketch and gotta say you need to do a lot of maintenance on a steel boat. Dont forget your zincs too.
Fair winds to you and yours
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Congrats Odin.

You've worked hard for it, now it's time to relax and enjoy it. I hope there's a couple of cup holders at the helm :)

John