Lost my favorite cat today

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Lost my favorite cat today

Post by cranky »

They say a cat has 3 names, his formal name, his common name and a name only he knows and will never tell.

My favorite cat's formal name was "Fluffy The Conqueror", his common name was "Stranger" and he was the best cat I've ever had.

Many cat people know that if you need a cat one will come to you but sometimes the cat is the one who needs a human and it works the other way around. So was the case with Stranger.

My wife and I had spent the better part of 6 months looking for a house and eventually found the right one, closed on it and moved in. The morning after we moved in I opened the front door to go to work and found a scruffy looking cat sleeping on the doorstep. The cat looked up at me in surprise and I greeted him by saying "Hey stranger, who are you?" He immediately ran away but in the days and months that followed he would come back time after time.

In the summer he had a tuxedoed companion that he was never seen without until one fall day when he showed up all by himself on our deck staring out at the landscape and calling. He stayed on our deck day after day night after night for days on end, never leaving, calling for his companion but Tux never showed. Eventually I took pity on him and set out some food and water. He was scrawny and scruffy and almost blind from an eye infection that left him cross eyed but at that moment he became our spare cat and received the informal name "Stranger."
FLUFFY THE CONQUEROR #1 - C.jpg
Soon a bond between him and me formed and he began to expect a daily routine where I would come home, sit on the deck petting him, feed him then play with him. He thought playing was the most incredible thing in the world.

Stranger made it abundantly clear he desperately wanted to be inside the house and eventually we decided to make him an indoor cat. things were a little rocky the first few days with our older cat but Mouse is an unstoppable force and quickly became friends with Stranger.

It was obvious from the moment Stranger came into the house that he knew everything about it. He wouldn't go into the kitchen or the room we used as an office but he knew them. Eventually with the help of the neighbors we pieced together what had happened. The lady who owned the house before us had gotten him when he was a kitten. He was a Siberian Forrest cat, which is a long haired breed with low dander so they are often considered hypoallergenic. When she died and the house was foreclosed her family and boyfriend abandoned Stranger and he almost starved to death because of the eye infection.

Siberians are known for their "Dog like loyalty" and tendency to pick a human that they have an almost unnatural bond with. So as it turned out when we bought the house it came with the a cat in desperate need of a human. As it also turns out that human was me and Strangers formal name became "Fluffy The Conqueror" and I became his human. Whenever I went to work He would lie down in the last place I sat and wait until he heard my car or truck coming down the road, then jump up to meet me at the door.
FLUFFY THE CONQUEROR #2 - C.jpg
His favorite food was raw beef followed by ham. When we eventually got him to where he would come into the kitchen he would come in and ask for beef whenever I was preparing some or lunch meat if I was fixing my lunch. I was always happy to share.

He was a cat of routines and had a special one every day while I sat in the living room he would go to the door and look back and forth between me and the door. I would ask him if he heard a ninja on the other side of the door and he would get very excited. I would then go to the door and crouch down and ask him if he was ready, he would put his face close to the crack and get ready. I would then jerk open the door and the two of us would jump around it together to try to catch the ninja who often left Amazon packages. He would then shake his tail at the door, then ask to be picked up and held so he could get a better view to make sure the ninjas weren't hiding somewhere. I am going to miss those ninja checks.

Stranger was a happy, healthy, large cat, although at 18-20 pounds he was on the small side for a Siberian. He showed no sign of illness until two weeks ago when he suddenly started breathing badly. We took him to the vet and the vet said he had pneumonia. She drained his lungs and told us the fluid was not from a virus but was from something terminal and for $300 more they could tell us what but whatever it was it was incurable. I saw no point in spending the money for no other purpose than to find out what was going to kill him so I took him home. Over the next week he miraculously got better and began acting like his old self but then after 2 weeks he started acting like he didn't feel well and we weren't sure if it was his allergies or the pneumonia was coming back.

Over the past couple days I fed him his favorite foods, raw tenderloin, ham and chicken as we watched his condition slowly deteriorate. This morning he seemed pretty good, he ate, drank and used the litter box as usual but when he asked for brushing from my wife he began breathing hard. We contacted the people who make house calls to euthanize pets but the soonest they could be here was Tuesday at 11AM. We kept an eye on him throughout the day and eventually his breathing became bad again and we had to make the call that he wasn't going to make it until Tuesday so we called the vet to let them know we were bringing him down. It was a struggle loading him in his carrier, he fought and even bit me but we got him in, loaded him in the car and headed for the vet. He passed away before we got there.

Fluffy The Conqueror had finally met his match and I will miss him greatly. He was the best cat ever.
FLUFFY THE CONQUEROR #3 - C.jpg
Last edited by cranky on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: Lost my favorite cat today

Post by goose eye »

Family members ain't only got two legs.

Sorry for your loss
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Im sorry man that sucks
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

So sorry, Cranky. I've lost two pets this year...it's rough.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Sorry for your loss.
We bring these "animals" into our home and they leave as a family member.
I don't have cats but have had many dogs, it always breaks your heart when they are gone.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks for sharing Cranky . Fluffy The Conqueror sounds like one hell of a cat . :thumbup:

RIP stranger .

Cranky , I feel your loss, I recently had a similar story with My cat ,the best ratter in town . The old bastard at 18 years old would still bring me a rat and purr like a well oiled machine as he gutted and eat prime rats ass fillets .

But kidney damage got to him and I had to do the kind thing . He purred to the end .
E8443D96-467F-4F01-8E91-FA1CE0C35F08.jpeg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Touching story, Cranky! I had to laugh about the ninja-part. I will remember it for a long time, so both of you will stay alive.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Sorry Cranky & Mrs.
It's hard losing a close friend, you will always keep the memories.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Condolences Cranky, feel for ya.

Similarly lost my feline friend last year, it hurts.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by cranky »

Thank you everybody.

This is the worst part of pet ownership and like it or not you guys are my support group. I'm having a harder time with this one than any previous pet. I don't know if it was that we bonded so closely or that it was just so sudden or his relatively young age being only 12 or 13. Mouse, our white one, is 3 months shy of his 20th birthday so every day with him is a surprise so we are prepared for him but Stranger was so young and healthy and then suddenly one day he wasn't. :cry:

Anyway, thanks for the kind words everybody.
Last edited by cranky on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Heartbreaking story, Cranky. But what you did welcoming Fluffy into your (his) home was to fill his days with warmth and friendship (and love) that he was capable of and more than willing to return. No price on that.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

I feel for you, non pet owners never really understand that it's a real bereavement.
You can rest easy knowing you did the best for him.
Grieve him, but remember the good times you gave him.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Sorry man, pets make us better people and it hurts to lose them.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

sad day cranky, sorry to hear. both my cats came to me from "out there" the oldest lived in the circles

and took a 2-3 years to give me her confidence. these days she is a lap cat in the shop and won't come

in the house. i'm guessing she is around 15. the other showed up looked around and said this will do.

if I carry him into the house he will sit in my lap for ear rubs not longer than 30 seconds then leads me

to the door for his escape. in the shop I can't get him off my lap. he's around 5 and I had him cut when

it became apparent he wasn't a hunter an wasn't leaving. she on the other hand was apparently spayed

before I met her. hope your heart heals soon, but I know that's a tall order.
Last edited by cob on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Son has two cats, his largest is a Maine Coon and it got mauled by we think a coyote. The cat survived but doesn’t leave the house much. Two other cats in his neighborhood were killed and they found parts of the cats.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Sorry Cranky.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

sorry to hear that Cranky but look at it as an opportunity to save an other cat from the shelter and let it have a good life.
be well my friend
OVZ
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thank you again everybody. Your kind words are helpful.
Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:51 pm sorry to hear that Cranky but look at it as an opportunity to save an other cat from the shelter and let it have a good life.
be well my friend
OVZ
At this moment I really don't want another cat. I don't want to ever go through this again but I also haven't mentioned the Tuxedo Twins :roll: My house seems to send up a beacon to cats in need.

About 2 years ago I came home to find Stranger having a hissy fit at the sliding door and looked out to see a tuxedo cat sleeping on the door step. I opened the door and it ran away but not far before it collapse. This cat was in really bad shape, she had been beaten nearly to death and strangled and was so sick she would just lay in one spot until she used the bathroom then move to another spot. Being the kindhearted person I am I set food out for her to comfort her but thought I was going to be dealing with a dead cat in a matter of days. Slowly she got better but for a long time sounded much like Bill the cat or perhaps a cat version of the old chain smoking ladies who play penny slots.

Eventually I began noticing that she seemed to be eating a lot of food and one day I was outside and heard a cat calling and found what I thought was her in the blackberry bushes. I lured her out of the bushes with cat treats and she was like a completely different cat, all lovey dovey and just needing attention. I thought it was incredibly odd the huge change in behavior, then one day I looked out and discovered not one but two tuxedo cats had shown up at just about the same time. The one that had been so badly abused was old and female, the other a quite young male that had already neutered.

They spent 2 summers and a winter living on my deck in a make shift tent
SPOILED 30 JULY 18 #2A - C.jpg
In the winter they got igloos and heating pads. The female was named Heyoo because in the earliest days whenever I went outside and would check on her I would say "Hey you, how are you doing", the other got named "Lovey" by my wife because he was always loving on stuff and loves people to say "Look at Lovey!" to which he will roll around and rub and love on anything that is handy. He is a real clown.

In the time that they lived in the homeless encampment on the deck Heyoo would never leave the yard, although she would go on rat patrol around the house and bring me presents. Lovey is a natural born birder but far too adventurous. He would often disappear for a day or so and come back beat up, missing fur and limping and take weeks to heal. I'm pretty sure he got run over by at least one car and possibly survived an eagle attack while they lived outside. Eventually Lovey made it clear he wanted to live inside. Heyoo didn't trust inside but at the beginning of their 2nd winter with us they made the transition. Heyoo is extremely happy being an inside cat and often cuddles me when nobody is watching, you couldn't get her to go outside if you tried. Lovey would like to be an indoor-outdoor cat but given his history I think he would have a fairly short life span if he were.

Stranger was actually excited when Lovey came into the house because Mouse had gotten too old to play much and Lovey was young. I suspect at first he may have thought Lovey was his old friend Tux when he first showed up but Lovey seems like he may have been raised in a cage with no actual human touching or interaction with other cats and never figured out how to actually play with another cat. Stranger was often frustrated with Lovey but they did learn to chase each other through the house.

So with Stranger gone we are down to 3. Mouse doesn't have much time and I doubt that Heyoo has more than a couple years but Lovey is young and will be around a long time.
Last edited by cranky on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Acrylic
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Acrylic »

>>Many cat people know that if you need a cat one will come to you but sometimes the cat is the one who needs a human and it works the other way around. So was the case with Stranger.

...thanks for this cranky - this is a worthy tribute
Good judgement comes from experience... And experience? Well, that comes from poor judgement
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Sorry for your loss Cranky. Stranger sure was one hell of a cat and he was lucky to have such great parents in you and ms. cranky. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thank you Acrylic, and Otis.

Everybody's kind words have been helpful. I even sent Mrs Cranky a link so she could see. She cried a lot and was thankful for the kind words as well. I also signed her up for the site in case she wanted to post but she says she doesn't want to invade my site, or something like that.

She is having as much trouble, or more with Stranger's death than I am :( She has an L shaped desk and he would often lay on the right hand desk where she would rest her arm on him and pet him. A lot of time he would ask her to put youtube videos for cats on the computer so he could watch squirrels and birds and such. So whenever she sits at her desk she is constantly reminded of his absence and cries.

He was just such a big part of our lives it is being so difficult to deal with. He used to wake me up at 3AM because he suddenly needed attention and really all I had to do was hole my hand up and he would pet himself, then lay down next to me with what Mrs Cranky called "the hand of reassurance" on him until I had to get up at 4:30.

He also had a game he played with my wife, if we were in bed and she got up for some reason he would instantly jump over to her side of the bed and take her spot, Sometimes she would let him have it and go do dishes or go to the office so he could sleep with me.

He also had a thing for chairs and laid claim to virtually every chair in the house. One chair in particular is this living room chair we call the throne. When we brought him into the house he had a vet appointment very early in the morning so to make sure we could keep the appointment we brought him into the house the evening before and I sat up all night with him sitting in the throne. So from the first day he was inside he claimed the throne as his. When Heyoo came into the house she wanted the throne and he being the gentleman allowed her to share his throne which she has now inherited but I can't look at that chair without seeing him in it and when I sit on the couch I keep looking over at the door expecting to need to do a ninja check and it makes me very sad :cry:

Ive been spending most of my days working on the truck because whenever I stop I get very bummed but Mrs Cranky doesn't have any such outlet and is being hit pretty hard.
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss my friend. I'm that guy that save turtles off the road and absolutely adores animals. Hang in there brother.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

People around here say dogs have owners, bosses or fathers and mothers, cats have personnel, canopeners or butlers.
I think when you understand them a bit, you and they are just members of the same family. And losing one of them is very hard, like a hole or a void in your soul.
Send my love to Mrs Cranky, please.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Hi Cranky, so sorry to hear about your loss. As a cat family member, I can understand how you feel. I felt the same when Napoleone, my Maine Coon child, left us one night when he was just nine. That was the reason I started distilling, and the ultimate reason I am here. Currenlty we are caring for Ladybug, who at 12 has inoperable breast cancer. We have been cleaninig, disinfecting and medicating her twice a day since before our covid lockdown. We also made the call to the vet once to come here and put her to sleep, but we changed our mind: she is still so lively and doesn't seem to be in pain, yet.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I've been struggling with replying to all your nice posts because it just brings everything back and I find it difficult to write so I let Mrs.Cranky answer them
Dutch41 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:12 am I'm so sorry to hear of your loss my friend. I'm that guy that save turtles off the road and absolutely adores animals. Hang in there brother.
Thank you Dutch41 and you keep saving those turtles
Kareltje wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:16 pm People around here say dogs have owners, bosses or fathers and mothers, cats have personnel, canopeners or butlers.
I think when you understand them a bit, you and they are just members of the same family. And losing one of them is very hard, like a hole or a void in your soul.
Send my love to Mrs Cranky, please.
This is from Mrs. Cranky, (sometimes the old cranky shares some of the post on here with me, this is one of those times) Thank you so much for your kind understanding, it is so much like a void that is an excellent way to describe it. Cat or Dog doesn't matter, its a family member that was/is much loved. Thank you again and I am sending you a {{{hug}}}
cuginosgrizzo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:38 am Hi Cranky, so sorry to hear about your loss. As a cat family member, I can understand how you feel. I felt the same when Napoleone, my Maine Coon child, left us one night when he was just nine. That was the reason I started distilling, and the ultimate reason I am here. Currenlty we are caring for Ladybug, who at 12 has inoperable breast cancer. We have been cleaninig, disinfecting and medicating her twice a day since before our covid lockdown. We also made the call to the vet once to come here and put her to sleep, but we changed our mind: she is still so lively and doesn't seem to be in pain, yet.
9 years old! I know that was so hard. Your giving Ladybug the best you can and I am so sorry for what you are facing. I genuinely wish you weren't going thru that. I appreciate you understanding and commiserating with me. Kareltje described it as leaving a void in your soul, we found that spot on and I have to agree. Again I am sorry for Ladybug and for you and the Mrs./family
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Cranky, sorry to hear you lost your furry friend. Their passing sure does leave a hole. We never realize quite how much we interact until they are gone.

Had to put down one of ours who was 15 this week. Had him from a kitten. Long term lung issues finally got the better of him.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:19 pm Cranky, sorry to hear you lost your furry friend. Their passing sure does leave a hole. We never realize quite how much we interact until they are gone.

Had to put down one of ours who was 15 this week. Had him from a kitten. Long term lung issues finally got the better of him.
I let Mrs. Cranky respond to this as well

Bluefish, we are so sorry to hear about the loss of your furry family member. You are right they leave a hole in your heart and sole but in and around the house as well. You have some awesome memories I am sure dwell on the ones that make you laugh for awhile. Big hugs to your family Mrs Cranky
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

It seems like only yesterday since I started this thread, It's had to believe it's been 7 months. My wife and I still miss Stranger like it was yesterday but that's not why I'm revisiting this thread.

The reason for reviving it is to talk about the next one :cry: I honestly expected it to be Mouse, who turned 20 last October but today we had to take Heyoo to be put to sleep. Looking back at the pictures in my phone my first pictures of here are in the summer of 2016 so we only got 4.5 years with her.

I posted a little about her above. When she showed up she was in such rough shape that she collapsed on our porch right at the sliding door. From her condition and some other issues it appeared that someone had tried to beat her to death and possibly strangle her. Somehow she managed to slowly recover
HEYOO #1 - C.jpg
and eventually we discovered she had a much younger tuxedo companion.
LOVEY #1 - C.jpg
They spent a year outside in a makeshift homeless cat shelter and the next winter came inside for good.

Heyoo loved being inside and made it clear that I was HER human, although she was forced to share me with Stranger. She loved sleeping next to me, especially in my wife's spot. There was usually a nightly argument between them about who would get the spot, Heyoo always lost but made it clear that she didn't appreciate my wife stealing her spot in bed.

We knew when she came to us she was old and busted, for two years she sounded like Bill the Cat looks. Everybody always thought she was angry but she never was, she just sounded that way, she was actually one of the sweetest, loving cats that has ever lived. We expected to have more time with her but the time we did have was very special and like stranger she is going to be missed.

Now we are down to two, Mouse and Lovey. I told Lovey to watch his back because Mouse has managed to outlive all the rest and he is probably plotting a way to outlive Him. We are beginning to suspect Mouse is an energy vampire feeding off the energy of other cats to stay alive.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Cranky I have seen my big orange cat once in the last ten days.

got me worried, he's been absent before, but not this long.
be water my friend
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cob wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:12 pm Cranky I have seen my big orange cat once in the last ten days.

got me worried, he's been absent before, but not this long.
I'm sorry to hear that Cob :( I hope he finds his way home soon. We always worried about that with Lovey because he was always wandering, getting locked in peoples garages when they went to work or getting hurt. Currently he has decided the outside world is no longer the place for him.